The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 9th, 2023

richwmn

@bennybear, Yes I have enjoyed everything  Hillary Mantel wrote including her memoir.I was sorry when she died last year as I just love her books.

My DD and I were in tears seeing the awful pictures on the news about the Maui fires.I hope people were able to evacuate  in time.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dailyites, it's a warm and humid day in SE Wisconsin.  The flower pictures and the travel pictures are very nice today.  Sad to see the news about Maui and Lahaina today...we were there several years ago on a land trip that visited several islands.  

Tonight we're having the 2nd recipe posted today.  I have lots of tomatoes and fresh basil to use!  I'll post pictures tomorrow.  Prayers, hugs to all who need them, especially Baby Murphy, her family, and all of her caregivers.  Cheers to those traveling, I'm loving the pictures from @dfish and @StLouisCruisers.  Have a great evening, Karen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I feel so sick over the Maui fires. We have spent vacations since 1985 there and have fond, loving memories. 

My only prayer is for Denise @DeeniEncinitas and David to have found a safe place if they are still on the island. 

Instant visual migraine this morning when I read the news.  It's tragic on so many levels.

Do you still have your time at Nanea, Joy?  You mentioned thinking of selling it.  We are scheduled to visit there in September.  After discussing it, we decided that if flights are going, we will keep our reservation.  It will be very strange to be there, but we do want to support the economy.

So many people have happy Maui memories.  All those people losing homes and businesses.  Just awful.

• Like 19

38 minutes ago, arzz said:

@USN59-79 as a retired chemistry teacher your story today about the liquid fuel rocket project both brought back nostalgic memories … and made my hair stand on end.  Good for your teacher for making the right move. 

You are right; he was a great teacher.  Those times were so different from now.  In 1957 Russia sent up their Sputnik satellite and we were very far behind.  We had a 40 acre farm, so lots of room to play with home made rockets.  And we could go to the local drug store and buy chemicals that would not now be available to an individual.  We made simple rockets using car exhaust pipe, metal fins attached with sheet metal screws, and a carved venturi made from a brick.  We found that potassium chlorate and powdered zinc made a fairly safe fuel, safe meaning that it burned at known rate rather than simply exploding.  We also made some other things from that oxidizer that I won't mention as they were very dangerous.

Sure hope @DeeniEncinitashome is safe on Maui.  We have been there a few times and my DM was born at Lahaina in 1910.

Ray

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Instant visual migraine this morning when I read the news.  It's tragic on so many levels.

Do you still have your time at Nanea, Joy?  You mentioned thinking of selling it.  We are scheduled to visit there in September.  After discussing it, we decided that if flights are going, we will keep our reservation.  It will be very strange to be there, but we do want to support the economy.

So many people have happy Maui memories.  All those people losing homes and businesses.  Just 

Sold Nanea back. 

From what we hear on the news Lahaina town has been devastated and there and Whalers Village area is where we enjoyed so many good times. Where are you staying?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@rafinmdThe Rovos train ride is on bucket list. Is it worth it? Bruce

That's a personal decision but it was worth it to me.  If they are still running the annual journey to Dar es Salaam that is really special.

Roy

• Like 13

Good evening

It has been a tiring day.  I did not feel well all day and had lots of things going on.

A/C is all fixed and hopefully we will have no further problems.

Termite people come tomorrow

I had a bad night due to digestive problems and have been tired and feeling under the weather all day.

Will post more tomorrow.

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Dentist this afternoon, then lawn mowing if it doesn't rain. Then a 90-mile drive to attend our

to attend our former rabbi’s son’s Bar Mitzvah. Others planned to charter a minibus but I didn’t want to get up that early. And, as it turns out, I don’t think I could stand five hours of conversation with some of them.

I’m now settled in a hotel where all the furniture has a famous label.

IMG_0029.thumb.jpeg.f06564c92ea1a56a92639ec571c6e0be.jpeg

(Stickley)

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you so much for that. I never thought to check that way.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMGOD! Sweet sis, I am lucky to get through!! We are safe have 3 big generators. No fire 🔥! This happened all of a sudden yesterday! Took a pic for toasting  to Annie and the winds were awful!!! So windy! Heard of a fire up in the hills of west Maui! 😞 Lahaina gone! Hope this gets through! Att is out but for some reason got cell service! We are fine no fire! Lots of food! You know we are right on the water! You know where our house is !! We are safe so fare! Spoke to Shawn she was worried! Won’t be able to chime in but know we are safe! Email is iffy! I am so saddened by this event! I am heart broken 💔
we are here till sept!

love to all on CC’ thank you for your concern! This is monumental 

🌺Denise 😔

• Like 8
  • Thanks 21

3 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMGOD! Sweet sis, I am lucky to get through!! We are safe have 3 big generators. No fire 🔥! This happened all of a sudden yesterday! Took a pic for toasting  to Annie and the winds were awful!!! So windy! Heard of a fire up in the hills of west Maui! 😞 Lahaina gone! Hope this gets through! Att is out but for some reason got cell service! We are fine no fire! Lots of food! You know we are right on the water! You know where our house is !! We are safe so fare! Spoke to Shawn she was worried! Won’t be able to chime in but know we are safe! Email is iffy! I am so saddened by this event! I am heart broken 💔
we are here till sept!

🌺Denise 😔

Denise, I am very happy you are both safe.  Thank you for letting us know.   On the other hand I am heart broken about the loss of life, and the fact that Lahaina is gone.

Stay safe.

Lenda

• Like 14

16 hours ago, 0106 said:

Baked Caprese chicken Tender and juicy seasoned chicken is baked in a balsamic reduction with fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato. It’s fancy enough for company but simple enough for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.

YHy7bXgGzcZaejDcMdH3bqZmDELx3fpfs-C3O8Dw

Just wanted to say we had this for dinner tonight and it’s a winner. Served it with HAL’s roasted zucchini soup.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

As I said earlier I have been to Cape Town 3 times, the first 2 as part of Rovos Rail trips, and I'll share a few photos from my trips.  The first two are from Rovos Rail in 2005, starting with boarding the train in Cape Town:

IMG_0137.JPG.7bc0cb9b8317c8d756f41909a4b7e776.JPG

Most of the trip the train is hauled by regular South African Railways locomotives but there is a stretch near Pretoria where Rovos uses their own Steam locomotives.  Here's one of them:

KIF_0612.thumb.JPG.3b0972443b0f8bdb8a6998b572c202ca.JPG

The others are from my stay between my 2014 arrival on Crystal Serenity and departure on MS Amsterdam.  The first day I visited Robben Island, the infamous prison where Nelson Mandella was held for many years.

Our arrival at Robben Island:

arrival21.jpg

Most of the cells had been emptied out but Mandela's actual cell was "furnished" as it was in the prison days:

mandelacell.jpg

The thin mat that served as his bed:

mandelabed.jpg

The quarry where the prisoners were subjected to hard labor:

quarry.jpg

During a 1995 reunion of former prisoners Mandel grapped a small rock and dropped it in the open area.  The others all did the same creating a small rockpile:

rockpile.jpg

The boat used to carry prisoners to the island:

convictboat.jpg

The last night I went to Aquila Game Reserve, a private game park about 2 hours out of Cape Town.  It is not an open park where you see animals in the wild, but the animals likely have been injured and could not survive in the wild and live out their days there but it's still a great experience that's easy to get to.  I spent the night there but HAL had a tour to the reserve my second day there. 

aquila2.jpg

Some of the animals mostly from @Mtn2Sea's menu, starting with Springbok:

springbok.jpg

Also Ostrich and Zebra:

ostrzebra.jpg

Finally, not on the menu but a lion

lions1.jpg

Roy

Very interesting photos Roy.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

we are here till sept!

🌺Denise 😔

I'm so sorry to hear about Lahaina which we visited in December 2019 on our Grand Princess cruise.

Pleased to hear you are safe.

Prayers 🙏 for you and everyone in Maui.

• Like 10

@richwmn Rich, thank you for posting the  locations of the HAL Fleet and the Daily.

Woke to snow this morning, sun came out and by 1030  it was beginning to melt.   The cat wanted to go out, so let her out on the deck, she cautiously stepped along, but quickly came back indoors.

Sad to see the TV news photos of the fires on Maui,  visited Lahaina during our three Trans Pacific cruises on the  beautuful Volendam

Best wishes to everyone on the Care List.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 16