Suite Sewer smell

sixpackeddie

3 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Has anyone had a significant problem with their cruise experience and been offered compensation in the form of a future cruise credit while onboard?

Did you settle on board prior to the end of cruise or settle with Celebrity Shoreside?

IMO, you have better results dealing with it while onboard

• Like 1

We had a food issue on Royal Caribbean and they sent us a letter in our cabin saying we would get a certificate in the mail In a few months.  We did get it and it's worth $600 towards our next cruise.  Not sure if Celebrity does the same.

We had an experience in a SS on the Equinox about 5 years ago where sewer line clogged and backed up and led to water covering our bathroom floor. The Michaels Club Concierge took care of it right away and on departure day she gave us a $500 future cruise credit for our inconvenience.  We did not ask for or encourage compensation because it was handled quickly and respectfully, but that was their choice. X seems to be shy on customer service nowadays, so hard to tell what to expect....if anything.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can you elaborate on the situation?  Have maintenance been to check the problem?  Attempts to rectify?  Only your suite?  Any offers to relocate you?  

It would seem some compensation may be in order but more info would be helpful. 

Had terrible sewer smell from jacuzzi tub for 8 days straight. Had maintenance out every day and finally resolved on day 8 of our 10 day cruise. Cruise was full so no other cabins available.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Had terrible sewer smell from jacuzzi tub for 8 days straight. Had maintenance out every day and finally resolved on day 8 of our 10 day cruise. Cruise was full so no other cabins available.

IMO they should have given you some sort of compensation before you disembarked the ship. Not sure what can be done after the fact but at the very least I’d reach out to corporate with your story. That’s terrible!

We had a PH second toilet develop a fault that they couldn’t fix. They gave us a future cruise credit certificate. We didn’t ask for it, it was simply offered. 

Re your jacuzzi, whilst I know it wouldn’t fix an underlying issue couldn’t you have left the plug in with a couple of inches of water to get rid of the smell?

We did have a sewage smell from the jacuzzi in a RS on Solstice. We were told that owing to the plumbing on the jacuzzi systems in rough seas the ‘u bend?’ can empty resulting in smells being able to come into the room…Once we got in the habit of regularly putting a bit of water down the problem went. We have occasionally had similar on other S class ships…always when we have not used the jacuzzi and the sea has been rough.

Edited by chemmo

Years ago we had a sewer smell on Infinity in our area of the ship.  And occasional non-flushing toilets. They did fix it after a couple of days.  Lines needed to be cleaned out.  Anyway, before we left the ship they gave us each a future cruise credit ($500) certificate.  We did not ask for it.

1 hour ago, sixpackeddie said:

Has anyone had a significant problem with their cruise experience and been offered compensation in the form of a future cruise credit while onboard?

Did you settle on board prior to the end of cruise or settle with Celebrity Shoreside?

The title of this thread made me laugh. 🤣

I'd turn in a complaint while on the cruise not after. 

• Haha 1

While on the Beyond this past January, we noticed a sewer-like smell in our Retreat S1/Corner Aft Cabin (deck 12). We also noticed it in the hallway on Deck 3 when walking to the main entertainment area & Martini Bar. We mentioned the smell in our cabin to the Retreat host and later received a nice FCC for our trouble. Worked out great since we had already booked another Beyond cruise for this coming January and our TA was able to apply this credit to our 11 day sailing. This FCC, along with the what would now be considered an unbelievable fare, makes our upcoming cruise a great buy. With today's SS and above pricing we are probably priced out of any more Retreat sailings. Time to move on to other lines even though we will be Elite+ when we return from the upcoming Beyond cruise. Been sailing with Celebrity since January 1995.

BTW - - The sewer smell was noticeable, but it was nowhere near a level that we would have considered moving to another the cabin even assuming that one may have been available. Beyond only has a few S1 cabins in the aft facing area, so it was a great location otherwise. Although it is a long walk to Luminae and other Retreat areas.

Edited by sptrout
  • Like 1

We had a slight sewer smell on a beyond sky suite smell was in shower , they gave us 700 towards a future cruise. On rccl about ten years ago had issue with toilet not flushing was given 700 towards a future cruise that was in a grand suite.

beyond problem was also corner aft sky on deck 12.

Edited by George C

We had an issue on the Constellation year before last. Immediately upon boarding, we saw that the water in the bathroom was brown and nasty looking. We were in a Sky Suite and in light of the butler cutback, I have to wonder that if this happened today, we would get the same care and attention. I called guest relations, who contacted our butler. He lectured us to always call him if we had a problem. He immediately had the cabin attendant bring up large bottles of water, reported the problem to  maintenance and to the Retreat Concierge. The water was replenished every day. Everyone was very apologetic and we were called every day checking to see if the situation was corrected. A few days into the cruise we were given two very generous FCCs which we used to book a CS on Equinox. In nearly 35 years of cruising we've only had two occasions where we've had significant of a complaint that we felt we were due some compensation and both times it was received onboard. That being said, if I were the OP and felt that my issue was not adequately addressed on the ship, I would not hesitate to contact Celebrity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

Yes, received a very fair future cruise credit. 

Very pleased about that…Much as it is awful when there are issues with your room sometimes you do have to accept that faults occur and that at least the company have tried to do things right by you..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 7:53 AM, sixpackeddie said:

We had issues on one of our cruises and received FCC from the Concierge in the Suite Lounge. She provided us with the FCC paperwork prior to our leaving the ship. 

We also had a very unique issue caused by a crew member onboard; we were offered an upgrade to a CS, but declined because it was on S class...SS to CS.  I do not know what I would do on E-class, but would rather have a FCC due to the bathroom configuration.  

We had a problem with Sewer Smell on Apes in a RS.   I complained over 4 days and they would send someone up but no resolution.    The Retreat Concierge asked to speak with us and offered us a nice OBC.   We of course accepted.    It was really weird as it just suddenly came up as a problem.  I applied the OBC to our November Cruise before final payment.

On a whim --- I decided to try something -    I filled the waste basket full of water and dumped it down the floor drain -  heard a couple gurgles and lo and behold the problem disappeared.   I suspect that possibly the j-trap in the drain didn't have enough water to block the sewage smell.    The other assumption is that it just fixed itself.  

We had a sewer smell experience on the Oasis of the Seas, crown loft suite , lower level bathroom.  It was never completely resolved.  We did complain but it continued.  I know that cabin attendant said he treated it a few times, but it never resolved.  Also complained to concierge