Hooked Seafood 2 Pound Lobster Gone On Symphony

loudbmw

Was so looking forward to the 2lb lobster at Hooked Seafood on the Symphony of the Seas last week. I knew something was up when the menu had the number 2 crossed out next to the word lobster.  

What we got was likely a 1-1/4 pound lobster which was just a few bites.  The waitress saw we were disappointed so she brought us a couple of lobster tails.  Everything else on the menu was good but we cancelled our future reservations on upcoming sailings.

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I am not sure but I thought the upcharge lobster at chops said 1.5 lbs. 

I'm surprised hooked had a 2 lbs on the menu. Is it extra for that large of a lobster?

It's advertised as the following:

"Whole Maine Lobster — 2 lb.: Stuffed with crab, topped with creamy béchamel sauce and grated Gruyere, then baked until golden brown served with choice of side"

I'm looking forward to indulging in the above on my Navigator cruise next week. I'll take two extra tails to make up for the half pound deficiency any day! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's advertised as the following:

"Whole Maine Lobster — 2 lb.: Stuffed with crab, topped with creamy béchamel sauce and grated Gruyere, then baked until golden brown served with choice of side"

I'm looking forward to indulging in the above on my Navigator cruise next week. I'll take two extra tails to make up for the half pound deficiency any day! 

In my experience, that is called Lobster Thermidor.  🙂 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

In my experience, that is called Lobster Thermidor.  🙂 

Which you can order in 150 though as someone posted, the lobster isnt very big to start with. Sure wasnt over 1 lbs even stuffed. .but I enjoyed it. Idk someone posted they used Mdr sized lobsters, which seemed about right. Looking forward to it again soon.

That is pitiful. Here are a few photos from Hooked on Wonder in March 2023. Sorry about the photo with just shells, but I think you can see how large the lobster was - and the claws. We booked the dining package again for an upcoming Wonder cruise because of meals we had earlier in the year (on my photos). I would be disappointed  to get anything like the photo in the OP’s post 

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

• Like 3

We just came off Symphony yesterday and indeed, the large whole lobster is not offered any longer.  When the lobster arrived this time, it was exactly as the OP described.  We had looked forward to the one we had had last year on the Symphony at Hooked and had 2 dates booked.  We cancelled the 2nd reservation.  Manager came over and I showed him a photo of our whole Maine lobster that we received last year and expressed my disappointment.  He stated that they no monger offer it as they received too many complaints with the whole large lobster.  We actually went 2x last cruise because it was so good, and they sold out of them before the cruise ended.  Not sure I believe him.  We love Royal, but this has to be another cost cutting initiative.  Very disappointing as costs continue to climb.  Not upset that costs are increasing as long as they don’t cheapen the experience.

Onboard the Symphony and had dinner at Hooked earlier.

I had the soft shell crab, then the clam chowder, then the dozen fresh oysters...no entree. Genuinely wanted to try the lobster...but I couldn't eat anymore.

* No 2-pound lobster on the menu. The Captain's Platter included a lobster tail.

* Our waiter suggested an Expresso Martini...that was my dessert.

Lobster is a unique issue here.  It brings folks together in unity, and/or divides them/some/others in their perspectives on preparation, size, extra ones in the MDR, and presentation throughout.  I certainly enjoy a good lobster, but it's hardly a focal point of my cruise - seems like many folks see this as a make or break issue on whether they truly enjoyed the experience.  The funny thing is that lobster is very easy to prepare at home.  No, maybe you don't have access to fresh Maine lobster, but if you just want to make a previously frozen tail or order a whole one online, it might make your cruise experience a bit more broadly focused.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is that many folks who don't eat lobster locally don't understand how little meat is in a lobster.   A 1-1/4 lb lobster will have between 3-4 ounces of meat (20% of weight), depending on whether it is hard shell or soft shell.  A 2 lb lobster will have 5-6 ounces (19% of weight).  So, the difference between a "quarter" (1.25 lb) and a "deuce" (2 lb) lobster is only about 2 ounces.

As for the description of the "Whole Maine Lobster", I hope it is baked just enough to brown the Gruyere, because if the lobster meat is cooked until browned, it is well overdone.  Lobster cooking can be overdone so easily, I don't like it on cruise ships because the assembly line food prep doesn't lead itself towards close supervision, and the tails have been frozen.

There is also a lobster shortage, witnessed by a drop of 40% of the young lobster population, resulting in larger keeper size regulations, so more have to be thrown back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uvadover said:

Lobster is a unique issue here.  It brings folks together in unity, and/or divides them/some/others in their perspectives on preparation, size, extra ones in the MDR, and presentation throughout.  I certainly enjoy a good lobster, but it's hardly a focal point of my cruise - seems like many folks see this as a make or break issue on whether they truly enjoyed the experience.  The funny thing is that lobster is very easy to prepare at home.  No, maybe you don't have access to fresh Maine lobster, but if you just want to make a previously frozen tail or order a whole one online, it might make your cruise experience a bit more broadly focused.

IF you can afford it at home. For some it's not in their every day budget. It is very expensive in some states. That's why for some it's a very special meal for them when they are away. 

For those who have it readily available and for a reasonable price where they live it may not be a big deal. 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uvadover said:

It's interesting that prior to the 1880s lobster was not a delicacy.  It was considered to be peasant food.  I find it fascinating on cruise critic that at times it may be the breaking point of a cruise being considered wonderful or poor.  

16 hours ago, uvadover said:

I buy lobster tails from bj's and grill them all the time.

9 hours ago, gerig said:

Can anyone who was recently on the symphony of the seas confirm that the buy one get on free is available for Hooked seafood?

Both in the planner and on the ship offers vary by sailing. On the ship, offers may also depend on your negotiating skills.

13 hours ago, gerig said:

Can anyone who was recently on the symphony of the seas confirm that the buy one get on free is available for Hooked seafood?

Currently onboard the Symphony. Hooked not included.

* As Biker19 said, it depends on your negotiating skills.

20231129_082907.jpg