Medications on Board

kitty9

My sister was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and is on a chemo regimen of pills.  Her oncologist prescribed the usual medications to alleviate the side effects, with one being capsules of marijuana-based medication.  It’s the only thing that settles her down.  We are leaving in a week for 21 days on a B2B on Beyond.  Am I right in assuming that she will not be allowed to bring her meds on board?  It’s not like she uses the stuff to get high, but it’s a part of her cancer treatment.  Does anyone know if they allow these meds under special circumstances?

I don't know the answer to your question.  

Something I hadn't thought of until reading your post.   Like many others, we have several prescription meds that are brought on our travels.  In over 40 cruises and I don't know how many international land trips no one has ever read the contents of our pill bottles.   We have never thought to ask if the medications we bring along are permitted.  

Posted (edited)

The official word is no, she would not be allowed to bring them.  The policy is clear.

from a practical standpoint, however, since they don’t produce any detectable residue or smoke, it is unlikely that she would ever be stopped from bringing them.

this is from the Guest Conduct Policy

6DF15FFD-A7E6-4F80-A7FE-F2AA0CDFBA56.png

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kitty9 said:

My sister was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and is on a chemo regimen of pills.  Her oncologist prescribed the usual medications to alleviate the side effects, with one being capsules of marijuana-based medication.  It’s the only thing that settles her down.  We are leaving in a week for 21 days on a B2B on Beyond.  Am I right in assuming that she will not be allowed to bring her meds on board?  It’s not like she uses the stuff to get high, but it’s a part of her cancer treatment.  Does anyone know if they allow these meds under special circumstances?

Has your sister reached out to Celebrity to ask?  If her medication is FDA approved, I'd be surprised if Celebrity would prevent her from bringing those on board.  However, if this marijuana based "medication" is not FDA approved (and they have only approved Epidiolex, Marinol, Syndros and Cesamet, none of which are approved for treatment of cancer symptoms or side-effects), then it is likely she will be prohibited from bringing those onboard.  Celebrity cannot approve possession of a controlled substance or marijuana if it would be in contravention of federal law, the laws of the countries visited and/or the laws of the state of embarkation/disembarkation.  While it is unlikely to occur, if she did bring unapproved "medication" on board, she could potentially face adverse legal consequences, including arrest in a foreign country.

This may be helpful:  https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/traveling-with-cancer--7-questions-to-ask-your-doctor.h00-159621012.html

Best wishes to your sister for a full and complete recovery.

• Like 1

Considering that the language in the guest conduct booklet is very specific, it doesn’t look like there’s any wiggle room. I doubt if contacting Celebrity would do you any good. They will just quote the language in the guest conduct document.

If it's prescription medicine in its original prescription bottle, who is going to know what it is or what it contains when you check in.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Who's going to know the difference.  I've never had any of my medication searched at any time when boarding the ship.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Something needs to be clarified here. Is this weed? Or is this a FDA approved prescription medication that uses cannabis based ingredients? Weed is not allowed even with a prescription. FDA approved medications are allowed. Does she get this capsule filled at Walgreens at the pharmacy counter or is it some no name brand "supplement".

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ask for some nabilome

it is FDA approve 

FDA-approved synthetic THC preparations, including nabilone and dronabinol, have received recognition for their effectiveness in addressing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Dronabinol has also received FDA approval for stimulating appetite in cases of acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)-related anorexia. These 2 medications are the sole synthetic THC formulations that have obtained FDA approval in the United States. 

We were allowed to fly into the USA with it and have taken it on a cruise ship

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Are you certain that the FDA Approved medications are allowed? Again, here is the policy

23E00402-80E1-421E-93E6-C2DD515F2C00.png

Yes. Marijuana is not a FDA approved medication. Therefore it never is allowed the same way a prescription is allowed. Drugs and only illegal substances specifically say "illegal" drugs, legally prescribed medications are not illegal drugs. If you get a refill at Walgreens, you have a legally prescribed medication. Last time I checked, Walgreens doesn't dispense Marijuana. 

Edited by sanger727

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

If it's prescription medicine in its original prescription bottle, who is going to know what it is or what it contains when you check in.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Who's going to know the difference.  I've never had any of my medication searched at any time when boarding the ship.  

Drug sniffing dogs for one......

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

This discussion would be improved by knowing just which medication the OP’s sister is taking

Absolutely. Actual medical marijuana is a clear no. Hemp derived cannabinoids are almost certainly no. Those are largely supplements, not FDA regulated, and may contain traces of THC. One of the FDA approved synthetic cannabinoids mentioned earlier is likely fine. “Marijuana-based” is unfortunately a meaningless term. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Those are used at some ports. They bring them on the ship. There is some queston whether the dogs can detect a marijuana derived drug in capsules. It may depend on the dog. Also there are often false positives so even if the dog does not detect MJ it might accidentally catch it. I would advise tthat they ftalk to their doctor and an alternative med. 

27 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Just because a drug is FDA approved, doesn't mean you can travel internationally with it. Places like UAE have very tough laws on importing pharmaceuticals, prescribed or not.

But that's not what was asked. OP wanted to know if her friend could bring her medication on board. Celebrity only prohibits marijuana and illegal drugs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I have never, ever, seen a drug sniffing dog when embarking at any port.  Sometimes it might be better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission and plead ignorance.  No one is going to lock up a cancer patient for a prescribed pill.🤪

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I have never, ever, seen a drug sniffing dog when embarking at any port. ...

I have. Cartagena, Columbia. Two armed men in fatigues and a German Shepherd at the foot of the gangway.

• Like 1