LIVE!!! ICON OF THE SEAS INAUGURAL

9 hours ago, Mreimer said:

Nice! My wife and I were asked to test this new concept when we were sailing on the Symphony. Basically this was in development and they set up and entire elevator bank in one of the lower conference rooms. We were tasked to get to certain destinations on the Icon and give our feedback. Glad to see that is now in fully swing and being received well. 

They've used this system at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan for years, so it's not new to the world at large.

Yes, it works well generally...but my biggest problem is that it doesn't account for the NUMBER of people. It seems to assume 1 person per punch, so there have been times at the Marquis that an elevator is too full because of larger parties. If they could make it so that you punched the floor and then it asked how many people in your party to assign it would be absolutely fabulous. But there could be times where you're given an elevator but because there's a large party in it - or waiting to get in it - you're unable to.

The elevator system sounds great but wondering if it is still great for someone in a wheelchair or using a scooter? Is there enough time to grab the elevator that opens if you're several feet away from it? Wondering how fast those elevator doors close if you're not right in front of it. TIA

Luckily, my DH usually runs interference for me! LOL!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

The elevator system sounds great but wondering if it is still great for someone in a wheelchair or using a scooter? Is there enough time to grab the elevator that opens if you're several feet away from it? Wondering how fast those elevator doors close if you're not right in front of it. TIA

There is lots of time.  Seen many scooters this trip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While it is accessible it requires a lift and you cant get close to the edge.  One of the upper decks on the side would be better or even on 16 there are good views from the aft.

Just let us know where.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I will be renting a wheelchair this cruise so I will try to remember to post here my experience on the elevators and other places.  Usually the 1st and last day is a challenge.  On Voyager last October I only ran over toes twice when spinning around in the elevator.   😆 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, bonsai3s said:

Ken...please, a couple of pictures of the walking/running track. Is there even one like the Oasis class?

Pictures of daily gifts if you get them. (Nice commemorative gifts were delivered in our cabin during the Allure inaugural.)

Is it Top 30 Pinns to access CK and Suite deck? Thanks!

Running/ walking track is near identical to OA class. 20240125_152953.thumb.jpg.01685503fd410cc6727f85dab225b07c.jpg

20240125_152959.thumb.jpg.eab3afd37d00e11d6558475a3e01a655.jpg

A couple of hats, ducks and tumblers.  Less than we received on Wonder.

We did get a nice set of 10 pins for completing the room tour though.20240124_131824.thumb.jpg.e52e6265b84f95a7262d9c9ded72fb81.jpg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Running/ walking track is near identical to OA class. 20240125_152953.thumb.jpg.01685503fd410cc6727f85dab225b07c.jpg

20240125_152959.thumb.jpg.eab3afd37d00e11d6558475a3e01a655.jpg

A couple of hats, ducks and tumblers.  Less than we received on Wonder.

We did get a nice set of 10 pins for completing the room tour though.20240124_131824.thumb.jpg.e52e6265b84f95a7262d9c9ded72fb81.jpg

Nice!

Hopefully you get more next week.

Also hoping you set aside some room in your luggage. :classic_smile: Thanks again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I will be renting a wheelchair this cruise so I will try to remember to post here my experience on the elevators and other places.  Usually the 1st and last day is a challenge.  On Voyager last October I only ran over toes twice when spinning around in the elevator.   😆 

Becci has been wondering what the ADA symbol on the elevator pad does, is there a dedicated Wheelchair elevator, could you check that out for us?  She won't be posting for a few more days, she got spanked for her witchypoo emoji.......😡

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toddcruise01 said:

Becci has been wondering what the ADA symbol on the elevator pad does, is there a dedicated Wheelchair elevator, could you check that out for us?  She won't be posting for a few more days, she got spanked for her witchypoo emoji.......😡

I will surely check this out.  

I just noticed a great review on an Icon Accessible room posted here in the RC section.  They were on the same deck.  I loved seeing that she could go out on the balcony with the wheelchair and into the bathroom.  Something I couldn't do on Voyager last October.  It was also nice to see she rented the same wheelchair I am renting , Whill Ci2.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just back into the elevator rather than try to turn around once in it ?

Just an observation of what I've noticed.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just back into the elevator rather than try to turn around once in it ?

On a scooter yes.  Not even sure you could turn around in an elevator  on a scooter.  From actual experience, it is much easier to spin around in an elevator and much quicker than trying to back in. The electric wheelchair does a very tight 360.  One tight spin and you are turned around.  If I remember maybe I will have the opportunity to video the experience and post it here.  It happens so quickly I will have to plan it before the doors open.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

@Ourusualbeach  Do you know if he rooms are going to be open right away.  The app has everything like show reservattions, zoom help all starting at 10:30.  Thinking they are having an early embarkation since no guests will be on board.

The answer I received was...they should be, but......

Adults only area.

A lot of chatter on the last minute decision to move the adults only areas to the hideaway on deck 15 as opposed to cloud 17.

Brilliant move in my opinion.  With only one smaller pool on Cloud 17 there will be very few kids up there anyway.  Pretty sure any kids will mostly be on deck  15.  I think 17 and possibly even 16 will have few kids and will be mostly adult areas without labeling them as adult.  The hideaway is a much better adult space and a fantastic view. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

She's still a new ship - taking the approach and navigation through the harbor slower than normal.

With 5 ships in Miami today she'll be wanting to get ahead of the rush!

Being such a large ship the turnaround day workload will be huge, and with Coco Cay being a short sail away, I imagine a 2am arrival will maybe be a common thing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

Way easier said than done, I've tried it and people are very impatient when you try to be careful about doing it and not hitting anything or body or rolling over toes.  I am very considerate but they get annoyed anyway.  I usually go to manual and push her in and pull her out, saves time and the stink eye! LOL

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:45 AM, schooner_Drinker said:

Unfortunately still can hear the magnetic bathroom doors clunking 

if only for that the cabin would be perfect 

I wonder if you could put a little piece of Duct tape over the magnet?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure how it took me until today to find this thread but now I'm ready!

Good to see you join in OB!  No Light House pics yet, we are still in Alabama.🤣  Maybe sometime after boarding!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schooner_Drinker said:

It’s a good idea , and doable 👍🏻

The caveat is , ours is open and not being banged at 4am in the morning.

We need to put duct tape or something on the neighbors 🧲 , whom are the slammers.

(well it’s not their fault intentionally, it’s a bad design).

But a suggestion I will make in the survey for a small line of dampening foam or tape down the seal of the frame where the door makes contact

Nancy 

No banging bathroom doors on the Icon.

• Like 6