Best balcony hammock?

Off the top of my head  I would ask your cruise line if this is acceptable as the balcony screens may not be sturdy enough for what you want. They are pretty lightweight in design and probably don't use heavy duty mounts/fixings.

I believe there are few lines that allow them.  I did see one from a distance on a Carnival ship, but I’m sure it wasn’t approved.  I think they might have them on Virgin.  It would have to be fireproof, you would have to take it down every time you left your cabin.  EM

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would not have thought these are allowed.

Agree, but there is another CC poster who in years gone by took one on just about every cruise he was on.  I used to kid him about it and wondered as well if they were allowed, but to my surprise, there are some that do and some that don't. 

• Thanks 1

Out of pure curiosity I did a quick google on if hammocks are allowed.  Apparently they are on some and are not on others.  I wasn't curious enough to go beyond that.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would not have thought these are allowed.

I’ve read that Virgin allows (maybe even provides) them - but they strike me as a kind of stupid concept,  even if there were sturdy hanging points for them.  For it to be much more than a hanging bag seat, you would need a much larger balcony than is usually offered .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Virgin provides a hammock on the balcony.

Otherwise, I would expect that these aren't actually allowed on board.

As @ldubs and I mention, there are some cruise lines that expressly do allow it, and some that prohibit them. You would just have to google the different cruise lines to see which is which.

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’ve read that Virgin allows (maybe even provides) them - but they strike me as a kind of stupid concept,  even if there were sturdy hanging points for them.  For it to be much more than a hanging bag seat, you would need a much larger balcony than is usually offered .

That must be why so many pack those magnetic hooks.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 4

I've got a portable stand for my ENOS camping hammock.   It's 13’9” x 4’2” x 4’8” and pretty lightweight.  Would be nice (and fun) if that fit!!!  

Those hammocks on Virgin had me wishing I could do a trip to "nowhere" for a few days in one of those balcony cabins!  I can hang in a hammock all day long - nice at night, too 😸

Buy an ENO (Eagle Nest Outfitter) hammock.  You can hang those things anywhere.  Choose a single /not a double. 

Try to snag an aft-facing balcony -- I say "try" because they're few in number and not easy to reserve.  The balconies are oversized, and you'll have ample space to hang a hammock.  Yes, you can hang a hammock on a standard balcony, but it's not nearly as good. 

Aft.jpeg

Aft 2.jpeg

Aft 3.jpeg

On 2/26/2024 at 11:08 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Buy an ENO (Eagle Nest Outfitter) hammock.  You can hang those things anywhere.  Choose a single /not a double. 

Try to snag an aft-facing balcony -- I say "try" because they're few in number and not easy to reserve.  The balconies are oversized, and you'll have ample space to hang a hammock.  Yes, you can hang a hammock on a standard balcony, but it's not nearly as good. 

Aft.jpeg

Aft 2.jpeg

Aft 3.jpeg

Upper picture shows someone in what looks like a kind of uncomfortable bent position. Second one not so bad. But what kind of fastenings are holding the third? The stern facing one has enough space to properly string one, but the typical side balcony is simply not big enough.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:08 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Aft.jpeg

Aft 2.jpeg

Aft 3.jpeg

And the cruise line is fine with that? And I assume you must take it inside when not being used. High winds!

On 2/26/2024 at 10:54 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Upper picture shows someone in what looks like a kind of uncomfortable bent position. 

That person doesn't know how to lie in a hammock.  You have to lie down straight, then scootch and angle yourself a bit -- then your butt doesn't fall down like that, and it's comfortable.  It's not a matter of the hammock being incorrectly hung.  

12 hours ago, clo said:

And the cruise line is fine with that? And I assume you must take it inside when not being used. High winds!

Maybe, but what harm could it do?  ENOs are really secure.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Oh, so it couldn't fly off and land in the water. Adding to the pollution.

24 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Not really.  I'm thinking you're not familiar with ENOs.  

Right. So when do you use yours other than cruising? Camping?

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That person doesn't know how to lie in a hammock.  You have to lie down straight, then scootch and angle yourself a bit -- then your butt doesn't fall down like that, and it's comfortable.  It's not a matter of the hammock being incorrectly hung.  

Any debris falling from a ship is defined as pollution.   And, the safest  device in the hands of someone who does not know how to install it is not “really secure”.

• Like 1