Jury Duty :(

Well, i got a jury summons today for the middle of the week we are suppose to be cruising.  Trying to get it deferred so fingers crossed.  Anyone else have this situation and were you able to work it out to get it deferred.  We are only about a month and a half out and i thought we got more notice than that for these things.  Guess not...

We did purchase the insurance, thank god, so i think i can reschedule it if for some reason they wont defer it, but would really rather not because out next window of opportunity will probably be toward the end of this year.

Talk about some bad luck.  What are the chances of this happening??

thx

Yes, was able to defer without an issue. The clerk actually asked what month would be most convenient for me. We were moving my parents into a continuing care facility the week jury duty was scheduled.  But, that wasn't where you live. Hope you can defer without a hassle.

I have also gotten a jury duty summons arrive in the very late afternoon the day before we left for a long trip/cruise. I had to call between flights the next day to tell them we were on the way out of town, and get that one deferred. That was quite easy too. And it was with 2 weeks notice before the scheduled date. 

We can now go line and enter an excuse - it finally got easier. 

• Like 2

Deferments vary depending on who has jurisdiction, but I've always been able to reschedule.  These days it's usually online, and you can even pick the date you want to start serving.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, kinda a freakout moment.  I did check online and the options to defer to another date are 2 years in the past...  I think ill also send in the paperwork just in case because their system seems a bit buggy.

thanks again

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

Well, i got a jury summons today for the middle of the week we are suppose to be cruising.  Trying to get it deferred so fingers crossed.  Anyone else have this situation and were you able to work it out to get it deferred.  We are only about a month and a half out and i thought we got more notice than that for these things.  Guess not...

We did purchase the insurance, thank god, so i think i can reschedule it if for some reason they wont defer it, but would really rather not because out next window of opportunity will probably be toward the end of this year.

thx

I got a jury summons a couple of months ago for a cruise I was scheduled to be on in January.  I was able to get a deferral for that.  I provided an open week that I wasn't cruising and they agreed to it.  I just received my new summons for my new date yesterday.  It's nice to know they haven't forgotten about me, I guess.

Good luck. 🙏

Let me make sure I understand.  Are you saying that you would rather enjoy yourself on a fully paid, non-refundable cruise instead of serving your civic duty?  Really?? LOL  Yes - they will defer and reschedule you without an issue. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rules are different in every State and often within different in the different jurisdictions within a State.  You need to deal with the folks who sent you the jury summons.  

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The rules are different in every State and often within different in the different jurisdictions within a State.  You need to deal with the folks who sent you the jury summons.  

Hank

He's right (Hank). Your jury summons should state which court (Superor or State court) sent the summons. Each court has a court clerk's office who has a list of those who are eligable for jury duty (the list is either voters OR property owners in the county. So more than likely you'll have to call the clerk's office and asking if you can be excused from serving this term.Hopefully, they can reschedule you till later in the year, Good luck,

Mac

I know that this is in the US, and I am in Canada, but for any Canadians reading this, I got my date deferred because we had a cruise vacation planned, booked, and paid for.  It was simple other than having to go to the call and sit for 3 hours to get the deferral.

14 hours ago, 20165 said:

thx

Its odd that in the land of the free you are not allowed the freedom to decline stuff like this.

Its the same on the UK.

we are not as free as we think.

12 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Its odd that in the land of the free you are not allowed the freedom to decline stuff like this.

Its the same on the UK.

With great freedom comes great responsibility.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Very true, but when you dont have a say in that responsibility.........well.

I have suffered jury service. Many many years ago. Decades infact.

Not sure I would have been happy complying with those 2 weeks had it meant missing a holiday.

39 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I know that this is in the US, and I am in Canada, but for any Canadians reading this, I got my date deferred because we had a cruise vacation planned, booked, and paid for.  It was simple other than having to go to the call and sit for 3 hours to get the deferral.

I'm sorry for your experience.  I applied for my deferral online and got the thumbs up the next day.  Filling out the form online took about 5 minutes and I didn't have to go anywhere. 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Its the same on the UK.

The only requirements of citizenship is jury duty and the privilege of paying taxes 😉

18 hours ago, 20165 said:

Well, i got a jury summons today for the middle of the week we are suppose to be cruising.  Trying to get it deferred so fingers crossed.  

Several thoughts: 

- I'm a retired teacher, and several times over the years I asked to be deferred until summer.  Never denied.  

- Last time I was assigned jury duty for exam week -- a week teachers just can't miss.  Ironically another teacher in my department was ALSO assigned that same week.  I was allowed a deferment -- he was not.  Why?  Because he had already deferred that same responsibility once.  The moral:  Don't ask for a deferment unless you REALLY NEED IT because your new assignment might be for something like a cruise week.  

- When I went in that last time, the Balif (Balif?) told us to wait a few minutes so he could take attendance, and then we'd all be dismissed.  He said our fairly large county had NO JURY TRIALS that week -- he gave us the impression that's kinda typical.  Apparently "everyone" takes a plea these days.  Anyway, I'd really be upset if I changed a cruise and then was only kept in the court house 15 minutes for attendance.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

15 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several thoughts: 

- I'm a retired teacher, and several times over the years I asked to be deferred until summer.  Never denied.  

- Last time I was assigned jury duty for exam week -- a week teachers just can't miss.  Ironically another teacher in my department was ALSO assigned that same week.  I was allowed a deferment -- he was not.  Why?  Because he had already deferred that same responsibility once.  The moral:  Don't ask for a deferment unless you REALLY NEED IT because your new assignment might be for something like a cruise week.  

- When I went in that last time, the Balif (Balif?) told us to wait a few minutes so he could take attendance, and then we'd all be dismissed.  He said our fairly large county had NO JURY TRIALS that week -- he gave us the impression that's kinda typical.  Apparently "everyone" takes a plea these days.  Anyway, I'd really be upset if I changed a cruise and then was only kept in the court house 15 minutes for attendance.  

It's bailiff.

Here, if you have jury duty, you call in the night before and see if your number is called to come in the next day. The last time I had jury duty, I ended up not having to go in at all, but was told when I e-mailed and asked that I had fulfilled my duty and would not be called again anytime soon.

But, once long ago, we were all made to wait in an uncomfortable basement. And that included a teacher who said they had come and dragged him out of his classroom!

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Its the same on the UK.

In the US every citizen has the right to a jury of their peers. That is a democratic right. It is a responsibity of citizens to be available to be on juries to preserve this democratic right. It is not onorous. I think I have recieved a jury summons 5 times. That was over 50 years of bing eligibile. Only 2 times did I have to report to the courthouse. The other times when I called in the night befere they had enough for the pool so I didn't have to report. The last time was about a year ago. I did have a vacation planned so I emailed for a deferment. About an hour later I recieved a new date. Easy peasy. The day before my new date I recieved an email that I would not be needed. I think most states have a similar system. I have lived in 5 states and they have all  been flexible. So to the courthouse twice in 50 years and only once on a jury I think we do have freedom.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3