Room service fees, good news

Just off the Connie. Unlike the room service menu in January on the Silly, there was no mention of a charge of $12 (rounded up, for $9.95 plus 18% gratuities) for all room service except morning bev and cold/continental breakfast. Yay! Guess that hadn't gone over too well. BUT they did include a new  $4.95 charge for any food ordered between 11pm and 5am. And a shortened menu. And it all needs to now be ordered off the app instead of a paper menu.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t they add an expensive add on perk that cuts out the room service charge?  We don’t usually get room service - but if I paid an up charge to get free room service only to find out it was now free for everyone, I wouldn’t be too happy.

• Like 1

We were confined to our cabin for 5 days because of testing positive for Covid  in 2022,  Had room service for the 5 days.    We were in a suite and had butler service.   After that I no longer want room service.  

if you don’t ask for something you don’t get it.  Ex.  Toast.   That is what you got.  No butter, jam or etc.   Luminae burger.   That is what you got,  no mustard, ketchup for the fries, and etc.  salt and pepper?   Didn’t request it so we didn’t get it.  Everything always arrived cold. 

We just got off of a few weeks in a suite.  Didn't even ask for coffee to be delivered in the morning.   We were happy to be able to leave our cabin and get it from cafe al Bacio and enjoy it out of our cabin or get it in the retreat lounge and enjoy that area.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

The App is still showing a charge for room service for my upcoming Summit cruise in one month.  Has there been any official announcement they are eliminating the charge?image.thumb.jpeg.358aaf1136a68839c5791c80ab214d6b.jpeg

Any changes to the app happen a few days pre cruise

Posted (edited)

I'm on the Solstice now and there is a charge for room service except continental breakfast and suites. I'm continuing on the Solstice (B4B) and the leg that starts tomorrow shows:

IMG_5C6E87D06066-1.thumb.jpeg.99d7c767f6f5805324f3d67d7a05a203.jpeg

Edited by billc23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 6:33 PM, rotoal said:

Didn’t they add an expensive add on perk that cuts out the room service charge?  We don’t usually get room service - but if I paid an up charge to get free room service only to find out it was now free for everyone, I wouldn’t be too happy.

Excellent point!  If I were to do the add-on it would be for the wifi upgrade because it comes out to be less expensive this way.  Guess they need to adjust the price of the package now that everyone get complimentary room service again.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Does this applies to all Celebrity effective immediately?

IDK. I do know that there is a charge today but not tomorrow on the Solstice. Tomorrow is a new sailing.

Posted (edited)

This was on the Connie, for the March 2024 11th-23rd cruise. On the Silly in January, it was a paper menu with the horrid upcharge across the board--but no mention of an overnight extra charge. Maybe they're making changes ship by ship.

We rarely use room service, unless ill or for the last-morning breakfast, as it will invariably be either too cold or an error in the order. (And THAT is across the industry, not just on cruise ships, lol. Oddly, the WORST room service has been fancy hotels--such as at 2 different Fairmonts...) But if X reverts back to a low or no-charge service, that's less offensive, lol.

Edited by sofietucker

14 hours ago, sofietucker said:

This was on the Connie, for the March 2024 11th-23rd cruise. On the Silly in January, it was a paper menu with the horrid upcharge across the board--but no mention of an overnight extra charge. Maybe they're making changes ship by ship.

We rarely use room service, unless ill or for the last-morning breakfast, as it will invariably be either too cold or an error in the order. (And THAT is across the industry, not just on cruise ships, lol. Oddly, the WORST room service has been fancy hotels--such as at 2 different Fairmonts...) But if X reverts back to a low or no-charge service, that's less offensive, lol.

Prior to the $9.95+ charge for room service the only charge was a $4.95 for late/overnight delivery.

It sounds like what you are seeing may be the old charge that got inserted in error. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I looked at various ships upcoming sailings and saw room service fees ranging from $0 to $12 + 20% gratuity.  Don't trust the app. The $12+ was for a sailing from Ft. Lauderdale.

Good advice.  The app is an unreliable source.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I looked at various ships upcoming sailings and saw room service fees ranging from $0 to $12 + 20% gratuity.  Don't trust the app. The $12+ was for a sailing from Ft. Lauderdale.

we were charged zero for our room service breakfast last week... We did give him a cash tip, as always.

Edited by sofietucker

On 3/24/2024 at 5:08 PM, sofietucker said:

Just off the Connie. Unlike the room service menu in January on the Silly, there was no mention of a charge of $12 (rounded up, for $9.95 plus 18% gratuities) for all room service except morning bev and cold/continental breakfast. Yay! Guess that hadn't gone over too well. BUT they did include a new  $4.95 charge for any food ordered between 11pm and 5am. And a shortened menu. And it all needs to now be ordered off the app instead of a paper menu.

Thank you for the news.  The late night room service fee was something that was originally instituted back around 2017 (give or take a year) before the general room service charge was assessed--and now gone, hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sail in a couple of weeks. Our sailing still shows a charge for room service. We shall see!

We sail on Apr 20th and our app also shows room service charge....

The website is showing the charge. They recently started selling Premium Access passes and the only items included that would justify the $ charge for the pass is that it waives the Room Service fee and includes wi-fi.  So it would make little sense to eliminate a fee for everyone.IMG_1260.thumb.png.913abf8787bd1ed0fef535dc0199aa3b.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Sounds like this is a constant state of confusion — as is all too usual. A mandatory tip on a fee is a deal breaker for me.

Sounds like the fee goes to the ship and the delivery person gets the gratuity.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Sounds like the fee goes to the ship and the delivery person gets the gratuity.

I feel the same.  Once the food is cooked, room service requires only a food runner and buser while the MDR requires the M'D, Asst M'D, waiter/Asst waiter making multiple table visits, buser who may need to change table cloths which would need to be laundered, etc.  X could encourage those to dine in as it could make the MDR a little less congested

• Like 1