Hope this isn’t true and doesn’t happen

Just read an article (and it may be media over exaggerating), but apparently passengers are going to get angry because their drinks package has had to alter due to leaving from Norfolk instead of Baltimore.

if this is the case (and not just media hyped bull). I hope every passenger who dares to get angry or boos the staff, takes one moment to actually think and realise why this is having to happen.

the tragedy that happened with the bridge is exactly that a tragedy, people have lost their lives and families are in mourning and you’re going to kick off because you can’t get a certain drink till a little later in the journey. 

I’m not saying this is going to happen, but if it does, I find that behaviour unacceptable and reprehensible.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Goddess-Freja said:

Just read an article (and it may be media over exaggerating), but apparently passengers are going to get angry because their drinks package has had to alter due to leaving from Norfolk instead of Baltimore.

if this is the case (and not just media hyped bull). I hope every passenger who dares to get angry or boos the staff, takes one moment to actually think and realise why this is having to happen.

the tragedy that happened with the bridge is exactly that a tragedy, people have lost their lives and families are in mourning and you’re going to kick off because you can’t get a certain drink till a little later in the journey. 

I’m not saying this is going to happen, but if it does, I find that behaviour unacceptable and reprehensible.

I'm sure there are some unhappy passengers onboard.  As one of my favorite philosophers once said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate."

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm sure there are some unhappy passengers onboard.  As one of my favorite philosophers once said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate."

How right you are, but I do find it sad and pathetic when the reason behind the change is due to tragedy. If it were just because of the company changing cause they could (as so many do), then yes I’d whole heartedly say crack on on and be angry, but with the tragic loss of life due to (at present) mechanical failure, it just seems wrong.

51 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Entitled cruisers, who have never had a hardship in their life, losing their minds over trivial matters? Since when?

Wait, are you talking about OP or the theoretical people OP is pre-emptively complaining about?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Goddess-Freja said:

How right you are, but I do find it sad and pathetic when the reason behind the change is due to tragedy. If it were just because of the company changing cause they could (as so many do), then yes I’d whole heartedly say crack on on and be angry, but with the tragic loss of life due to (at present) mechanical failure, it just seems wrong.

The reason is NOT because of the tradegy. It's because some ports carnival chooses not to pay the local taxes, like ny and Galveston.  .. so they start cheers day 2. 

As noted above this has already been posted so isnt new news just you worried later people might get angry. Galveston we do this every cruise. It's not like it doesnt happen in other ports. Its carnivals choice to postpone. Why blame the bridge. It's the port change. Norfolk taxes.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The reason is NOT because of the tradegy. It's because some ports carnival chooses not to pay the local taxes, like ny and Galveston.  .. so they start cheers day 2. 

Not correct. Carnival still sells alcohol and pays the taxes as required. I'm guessing they decided that their computer system can't handle the Cheers model on days where there are specific rules in place (ie special liquor in Galveston, or NY's rule about an open package or something like that), so they just don't do it on day 1. Apparently, this rule is also in place for Norfolk.

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

As noted above this has already been posted so isnt new news just you worried later people might get angry. Galveston we do this every cruise. It's not like it doesnt happen in other ports. Its carnivals choice to postpone. Why blame the bridge. It's the port change. Norfolk taxes.

There a law that stops it

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, there isn't. This is a choice by Carnival.

Other cruise lines offer the drink package immediately from the same ports - they just charge you tax on every drink you get with your drink package.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

No, there isn't. This is a choice by Carnival.

Other cruise lines offer the drink package immediately from the same ports - they just charge you tax on every drink you get with your drink package.

All cruises charge tax on drinks until international waters. There is a reason Carnival doesn't offer Cheers day 1 from these ports while other cruise lines do, but I don't think it's necessarily taxes. (Not saying it isn't either.)

28 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

All cruises charge tax on drinks until international waters. There is a reason Carnival doesn't offer Cheers day 1 from these ports while other cruise lines do, but I don't think it's necessarily taxes. (Not saying it isn't either.)

On NCL we pay taxes in NY on drinks, but not in Florida. Not all us ports charge taxes.

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Not correct. Carnival still sells alcohol and pays the taxes as required. I'm guessing they decided that their computer system can't handle the Cheers model on days where there are specific rules in place (ie special liquor in Galveston, or NY's rule about an open package or something like that), so they just don't do it on day 1. Apparently, this rule is also in place for Norfolk.

I go out of Galveston random old enough to remember when cheers started day 1. I assume you arent. Then because so many waited for day 2 to start cheers, they just started all day 2.

Royal also goes out of Galveston and their drink package starts asap when you board before you tell me carnival has to do this. If royal can so can carniva., they choose not to..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Clearly you dont know the law. Carnival chooses not to pay the taxes and do it. They used to. I have done carnival in the olden days before they changed their mind. Carnival chooses, not a law. There arent laws saying carnival cannot but royal can. No such law. Carnival is just being cheap and chooses not to pay the taxes involved so waits. Laws dont pick and choose between cruiselines. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Goddess-Freja said:

I wonder if paying for a few drinks will really make people that angry. There are already several threads on this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I go out of Galveston random old enough to remember when cheers started day 1. I assume you arent. Then because so many waited for day 2 to start cheers, they just started all day 2.

Royal also goes out of Galveston and their drink package starts asap when you board before you tell me carnival has to do this. If royal can so can carniva., they choose not to..

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Clearly you dont know the law. Carnival chooses not to pay the taxes and do it. They used to. I have done carnival in the olden days before they changed their mind. Carnival chooses, not a law. There arent laws saying carnival cannot but royal can. No such law. Carnival is just being cheap and chooses not to pay the taxes involved so waits. Laws dont pick and choose between cruiselines. 

• Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas, New York, and Virginia home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)
  • https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1106

26 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

• Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas, New York, and Virginia home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)
  • https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1106

Interpretation:

Our beverage package accounting software cannot handle different port taxes.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Does not make any difference what the reason is, what matters is what IT is.  The rest is smoke and mirrors.

Agreed - and with that information, do you wish to proceed with booking the cruise/buying Cheers/etc.

10 hours ago, broberts said:

Surely the $100 OBC is enough of an offset.

It is for me. Plus the 70 bucks I saved by only being able to buy it for 7 days instead of 8 next week will now be added to my on=board account and used to buy drinks the first day. Im not about to complain! I dont need 15 drinks a day. Or even want them.

• Like 2