The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 15th, 2024

kazu

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Dixie

I must say how colorful some of your recent descriptions are. Almost poetic. 

Ann

I didn't' pay attention to them before.  I'm just following @kochieffel'a example.

• Like 18

Happy Tax Day 😐 The state has returned some of my money but the money I owe the federal government will come out of my account today.

i cannot celebrate McDonalds.  Consuming a diet that relies on fast food such as McDonald's can significantly increase the risk of chronic health conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes due to the high levels of saturated and trans fats, sodium, added sugars and additives. 

Instead I will celebrate beet greens.  Thank you Debbie @dfish for the salad recipes.  They are also excellent cooked.  Beet greens contain plenty of nitrates, which help lower blood pressure. Nitrates also improve oxygen levels in the body.  Beet greens also help fight inflammation, improve digestive health, support brain health and contain anti-cancer properties.

Boston Strong!  I love this story about Spencer: the Boston Marathon dogIMG_0404.thumb.webp.8b7add7c882d8c03fc5b76fc9b2cd03f.webpPositive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

One of my friends is an ASL interpreter who has the unusual specialty of interpreting song lyrics, including lyrics in Hebrew, adhering to the rhythm of the music.

You could also make the salad with Swiss chard, because chard is the same species, selected to grow solely for the foliage. I'd try the drink, once. There is still no Tempranillo in the Finger Lakes, so I'll recommend Lakewood's Cabernet Franc.

Medical update: I've mostly recovered from the fall a bit over two weeks ago, and the bruises are turning really interesting colors, but I sprained my ankle last week.

The rain here has stopped but it's very wet, so my Beauty of Nature today will be from a rail trail that is paved.

catcanthelpyou.jpg.80b2526ff9ccb30dc6f4f2e976c6287e.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning Dailyites!!

Prayers lifted this morning for a large number of family, friends, Dailyites and their families. My girlfriend tried to pick up a case of water Saturday and has been down with back pain. And it's our friend Ron's wife, the guy who has been struggling with issues and needs her to help him. I'm thankful every day for my health so I can be a good caregiver for my sweet DH.

Sandi best wishes for Linda on her surgery today.

One of my friends is a ASL interpreter. She's always talking in SL especially when she's excited and her hands go flying. 

Today's quote stinks. We haven't been to a McDonald's since we moved to Texas. Graham takes care of our share.

This weekend I planted pots of ferns for the front entry and I had a pot left over and of course had to fill it with a pepper plant. I think a dahlia is croaking, so may be back to the nursery to try to find holy basil to replace it.

Wishing you all a blessed week. Stay healthy. Be kind.

Almost forgot! Welcome to our Daily @LambKnuckles I hope your appointment goes well and you are feeling better soon.

Love and hugs to Bruno.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings friends.

I’ll tip my hat to McDonalds, as the very first one was in our neck of the woods and nice to see big things come from small places.  🍔  🍟

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, I hope Steve has a positive doctor visit. You’ve been through a lot.  

We are go, go, going in Japan.  @JazzyV, we are indeed onboard until Seattle.  And that less hectic schedule for the transpacific will be most welcome,   HAL is doing a nice job on the Westerdam. Lots of regional touches, like fun wasabi bar mix, nicer sushi offerings, special Asian dishes on the menu.   No opportunity for speakers as it’s just constant port stops.  Definitely the most strenuous cruise I’ve experienced.

We are booked for the Morimoto dinner and I’ll take photos and report on that.  We haven’t seen much feedback on it yet.

Take care all.  Wishing everyone a pleasant day, although I don’t know what day it is anywhere!  ❤️

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 26

I'm getting ahead of myself. Many thanks to the Kroc foundation for the beautiful Kroc Center facility and Salvation Army church in Coeur d'alene. I spent many hour's in the gym.

Thanks to Dixie, @summer slope for descriptions of drinks. I would like to try today’s drink even though I'm a wine drinkers.

Tana and Terry are on my heart today and Vanessa, I hope your upcoming surgery is a grand success.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites!!

Prayers lifted this morning for a large number of family, friends, Dailyites and their families. My girlfriend tried to pick up a case of water Saturday and has been down with back pain. And it's our friend Ron's wife, the guy who has been struggling with issues and needs her to help him. I'm thankful every day for my health so I can be a good caregiver for my sweet DH.

Sandi best wishes for Linda on her surgery today.

One of my friends is a ASL interpreter. She's always talking in SL especially when she's excited and her hands go flying. 

Today's quote stinks. We haven't been to a McDonald's since we moved to Texas. Graham takes care of our share.

This weekend I planted pots of ferns for the front entry and I had a pot left over and of course had to fill it with a pepper plant. I think a dahlia is croaking, so may be back to the nursery to try to find holy basil to replace it.

Wishing you all a blessed week. Stay healthy. Be kind.

Almost forgot! Welcome to our Daily @LambKnuckles I hope your appointment goes well and you are feeling better soon.

Love and hugs to Bruno.

Thank you Joy for your good wishes for Linda. Thanks also to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for her good wishes.   I'm sorry to hear Ron's wife is down with a aching back.  You're right, she needs to be healthy.  And I'm very happy for your good health, too, so you can take care of that sweet husband of yours!

• Like 21

Thinking of all of those with doctor's appointments today - I hope they go well.

Sending healing thoughts to @StLouisCruisers sister, having surgery today and to all others facing procedures and living in pain.  Last year at this time I was recovering from back surgery.  I am so glad I had it since thank heavens I have been much better this year.  I just hope that it works the same for @JazzyV.  

@Denise T I think you will enjoy seeing NH.  My son and DIL live in Bedford, I am not sure where Terry's son lives but I think they also live in Southern NH.  We looked to move up there but my DH doesn't like cold weather.  I would move there in a nano second since I hate the heat.  

Not much on the agenda for today, just a doctor's appointment this afternoon. The weather has been perfect these last few days, cool mornings and nights and then in the low 80's during the day.  I am dreading the summer but at least this summer we will be enjoying a long cruise with @StLouisCruisers and then staying up north for a bit to visit our kids and grandkids.  I look forward to meeting her and her DH.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Thinking of all of those with doctor's appointments today - I hope they go well.

Sending healing thoughts to @StLouisCruisers sister, having surgery today and to all others facing procedures and living in pain.  Last year at this time I was recovering from back surgery.  I am so glad I had it since thank heavens I have been much better this year.  I just hope that it works the same for @JazzyV.  

@Denise T I think you will enjoy seeing NH.  My son and DIL live in Bedford, I am not sure where Terry's son lives but I think they also live in Southern NH.  We looked to move up there but my DH doesn't like cold weather.  I would move there in a nano second since I hate the heat.  

Not much on the agenda for today, just a doctor's appointment this afternoon. The weather has been perfect these last few days, cool mornings and nights and then in the low 80's during the day.  I am dreading the summer but at least this summer we will be enjoying a long cruise with @StLouisCruisers and then staying up north for a bit to visit our kids and grandkids.  I look forward to meeting her and her DH.  

Debbie, Thanks so very much for your kind thoughts regarding Linda.  Yes, I'll be enjoying this upcoming mega-cruise.  It will be nice to meet you and your DH  (Stefan, right?).  We could meet up before dinner at the Ocean Bar to have a cocktail or glass of wine.  I have no idea when any of the various segments have a M&G but will have to make some notes ahead of time.  DH doesn't go to M&G's anymore.  So, see you on the Zuiderdam!

• Like 19

Good morning to all Dailyites this beautiful Monday morning.

I remember the victims of the Boston Marathon in 2013 and what a horrific event that was.

I will not celebrate McDonalds.  I feel their food is mostly unhealthy and it would be a cold day in hell before I step inside one of their stores.  Three cheers for ASL and a wonderful method of communicating with those who are hearing impaired.

I have not been to Manzanillo, Mexico.

I will take a pass on the meal and drink, but will think about the wine.

i will start to get my clothes ready to pack today, laying them out on the bed in the spare bedroom.  I am going to pack lightly and make use of laundry service at the various hotels where we will be staying.  

This afternoon I will be meeting with a Certified Dementia Practitioner.  She runs a support group that I attend monthly.  However, I have yet to meet her.  This is a one-on-one session to get some understanding of Jim’s diagnosis.  Also about legal issues and other pertinent issues on which I need some guidance.

Sounds like a good place to start.

Hope everyone has a great day.

@StLouisCruisers prayers for your twin sister as she has her surgery for rotator cuff tear.  Hope it goes well.

Prayers for everyone on the cares list.

Cheers for all that are celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good Monday morning!   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports @kazu.  Thanks for the maps @rafinmd.   ASL is so important to help everyone to have a chance to understand things.   McDonald's is a place we eat at probably 2 or 3 times a year when we are driving to and from our cabin.   It has been a very profitable stock almost doubling since I bought it 5 years ago.  One Boston is a reminder the marathon is today,  I hope they have fair weather.   I liked Richard Lewis, I think his quote was part of his schtick.  Totally pass on the beet green salad.   The cocktail sounds like a good one for a BHB, wonder if they stock Mandarin Vodka?   The Rioja sounds very good too.  Thanks for finding these for us each day @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard.   I haven't been to Manzanillo, thanks for sharing the photos Sandi. 

Vanessa, thank you for the cares and celebrations lists for us each day all the while you are suffering from your right leg pain.  Prayers for the crewmember who jumped off from the Rotterdam.  One wonders what kind of horrible stress they were going through.  @StLouisCruisers I hope your DS Linda has a successful surgery and has a good recovery.  @Haljo1935 I hope your eye procedure goes well today and that you can get your shoulder unfrozen.    @LambKnuckles I hope you can find what is going on with your respiratory ailment and can get the right treatment.   

I got a lot done inside and outside yesterday.   Cleaning up my two ornamental beds, fertilizing and spreading weed preventer Preen.   Lots more to do today with more beautiful weather then rain returns and the weather gets cooler for next weekend.   Have a lovely Monday.   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I’ll celebrate all of today’s days, My sense is that the original McDonalds offerings are less of a problem than the bigger things that have followed, and that is what I usually get.  I’ll especially celebrate the Ronald McDonald houses and yesterday the “Red Shoe Shuffle” raised over $500K to support them.  Best wishes to all participating in the Boston Marathon today.  I saw a blurb in last night’s news about a rescue dog who greeted runners along the way with a flag urging them on.

The Lewis quote is certainly cynical.

I have not been to Manzanillo.

A sad day in nautical history but a great one in sports history.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Summer Fruit Salad with Sambuca and Fried Chicken Nuggets as served on MS Amsterdam April 15, 2014

I was saddened to see that 2 police officers were shot and killed in Syracuse, NY within about 5 miles of where I grew up.

I have 3 zoom meetings today starting at 4PM so it will be a very busy evening.  After lunch I will drop off my heart monitor at the UPS store to be analyzed.  .

Roy

• Like 25

58 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

My son lives in Amherst, right next door. It is a lovely area with a farm within walking distance.

I am happy to hear you had such a good recovery from your back surgery.

• Like 22

Terri @Cruzin Terri and Nancy @ottahand7 thank you both for your wishes for Linda's surgery.  I heard about 20 minutes ago she was out of surgery and in recovery already.  Her DH messaged that the doctor said there was a lot of arthritis involved and he had to anchor her bicep.  I've never heard of that before.  My DSIL told DD when he had rotator cuff surgery the recovery was very painful.  Linda is a Mom of 4 and had many surgeries over her lifetime so maybe she can tolerate pain better.  I hope so.

Terri @Cruzin Terri I hope the meeting today with the Certified Dementia Practitioner goes well for you.  Seems like a very good idea to me.

Roy @rafinmd I hope the results from your heart monitor are positive and encouraging.  I hate to hear this type of news about the NY police officers.  Our first responders are so important!

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm getting ahead of myself. Many thanks to the Kroc foundation for the beautiful Kroc Center facility and Salvation Army church in Coeur d'alene. I spent many hour's in the gym.

Thanks to Dixie, @summer slope for descriptions of drinks. I would like to try today’s drink even though I'm a wine drinkers.

Tana and Terry are on my heart today and Vanessa, I hope your upcoming surgery is a grand success.

Thank you Joy. 

• Like 14

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2017 Zaandam cruise from Buenos Aires to San Diego.  On April 15 we docked at Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica.

dusk0425.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Sunny in north Jersey after last night’s storms blew through with whipping winds, rain and impressive lightning. Might get to 73f today!  

Blessings for all the procedures and appointments today: Sandi’s sister, Elizabeth’s eye, Chuck’s scan, Lambknuckles assessment, Terri’s consult, Steve’s consult… in anticipation of Roy’s data analysis…. If I missed your need of the day, blessings to you too!  And Bruno, and Melanie (I hope I’m not confused but the blessings go where needed…) on absorbing your losses in your own ways and time. 
And Vanessa, I expect a busy Monday but will be thinking of you then too, as every day. Tana, Terry, Melissa, and Gerry and Maurice. 

Tax Day!  DH got the last 2states and federal returns e-filed yesterday; today we’ll mail first Estimated Tax check for 2024 to NJ because we don’t have a return on file with them yet for their reference 🤦🏼‍♀️

Boston Strong!  And to @Mr. Boston and DH- I’m astounded you will have movers this week!  👏. When we moved from NM it took us 5 months packing ourselves. When we moved 2 1/2 years later it still took us 7 weeks and we had packers finish the job the last day!  (I’m still looking for some things….) Wishing you Every Blessing in your new environment. 

We are waiting alongside SIL and family while she takes all the time she needs to leave this world, I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your caring support!   

The quote is terribly shallow and misguided, IMO. 

I was 8 yrs old when my mom took a brother, our sister and me to Miami on our Easter Vacation break by overnight bus from NYC, 36 hrs. It was my first encounter with segregation. In retrospect I guess I benefitted from that personal experience as it is forever impressed upon me. I grew up in Brooklyn and was immersed in a melting pot of people of various shades of color, languages and creeds. At 8 yrs old I knew there was something very wrong with what I saw in the bus stations and Miami grocery stores. 🫡 Jackie Robinson!  

I find raw beet greens tough so I cooked them when I used to have them. They could be chopped fine and added to many dishes, and as Tina posted, they have great health benefits. 

We stop at a McDonalds every few years, usually to use the facilities!  I remember buying a milkshake in Rome!  

Was in Manzanillo once, don’t remember it much so thanks for the photos Sandi!  

Cheers to all celebrating 🥳 

Smooth travels to all away especially our cruisers. 

Thanks all for being here. 
Maureen 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, its around 60 here and sunny again!  We haven't been to the port, but the pictures look nice.  I'm not sure about the meal, I like beets, but have never had the greens.  ASL is very important, when I worked in health care, we had interpreters we could call on.  It was amazing watching how they "spoke" with the patients.  Watching their facial expressions was also very interesting. I haven't been to McDonalds in a while, their fries are the best though!  I did have a shamrock shake in March! 😉  Our children's hospital has a Ronald House next to it...a very nice place for the families that need it.  A few years ago, our basket weaving  group made some donations for their fundraising event.  A sad day remembering the Titanic.  A good day to remember Jackie Robinson.

I'm experimenting with sourdough starter here.  Yesterday was a warm day and it looked much more active in the warmer house temp.  I'm thinking summer would be a better time to start the process.  I read advice to put it in the oven or microwave with a light on.  Our oven didn't get any warmer, but the microwave did...I may have to leave it in there!  I think I'm on day 8 now...we shall see!  I'm wondering how the pioneer women did this whole process!?  

Thanks for all of the caring and sharing here. @LambKnucklesI hope you get some answers at the Dr. today.  

@JazzyVthanks for all of your list keeping...hoping your surgery will help your pain...sleep will be great for you!  

@StLouisCruisersI'm really enjoying the photos of your DD's seasonal tree!  

@grapau27your sure have a beautiful place to enjoy nature and the scenery!  

Blessings on your day!  Karen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  The only thing I will celebrate about McDonalds is the Ronald McDonald House.  I refuse to eat there as their food is so unhealthy - well, almost all fast food is healthy, therefore, I rarely eat fast food.  Cheers to ASL and Boston Strong!  I laughed at Lewis' quote.  The meal, drink and wine sound interesting.  Never been to the port.  Two important days in history!

ScreenShot2024-04-15at06_27_42.thumb.png.48cc8381f71ddd862ea583577a270b56.png

Today will be a little cooler than yesterday.  Presently 53F heading only up to mid-70s under sunny skies.  Beautiful weather.  Nothing planned but we will see what I end up doing as I have a couple of things on my mind to do.  We will see!!

IMG_7740.thumb.JPG.0684e271601ea6156fc4b5f88de47e89.JPG

Wow, lots of medical stuff going on with everyone today.  Thoughts for everyone who is going to the doc or having procedures today.  @StLouisCruisers when I had my rotator cuff surgery they pinned my bicep also with 4 pins.  It was completely shredded.  I had a long recovery (arm in a sling for 7 weeks) and lots of PT afterward but I am so glad I did it.  Its been 4.5 years since surgery and I want to say my arm is at 95% in range of motion compared to before surgery.  And no pain what-so-ever; I can sleep now without my shoulder waking me up 50x a night!!

IMG_7741.JPG.53ab47beab8578c6831acb91cf4a99e7.JPG

Cheers to those celebrating and everyone have a great start to the week!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

@JazzyV, you can take our names off the care list.  We have settled with the insurance people for the cart.  I"m going to a chiropractor for several visits and then the insurance company will give us their offer for pain and suffering.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Many years ago spent 2 weeks in Manzanio, spell check,   Wonderful vacation to reach the hotel desk we had to take a funicular to the lobby. Then elevator to room that  backed on to rock.  

• Like 16

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfish who knew you could make a salad out of beet greens and it not even include the beets in the salad?  See, I pay attention to your recipes!

Well, you can add in the beets if you want to!  Glad to hear that Linda came through the surgery.  Now the tough part starts.

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Instead I will celebrate beet greens.  Thank you Debbie @dfish for the salad recipes.  They are also excellent cooked.  Beet greens contain plenty of nitrates, which help lower blood pressure. Nitrates also improve oxygen levels in the body.  Beet greens also help fight inflammation, improve digestive health, support brain health and contain anti-cancer properties.

There is a good reason to eat these greens!   

I hope all with medical appointments and procedures have positive outcomes today.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all! 
@Quartzsite Cruiser sending my thought for Steve today! 
@LambKnuckles hope you get a treatment that works! bronchitis is no fun! @StLouisCruisersglad your sister is out of surgery, hope she has a swift recovery! 
@Cruzin Terri hope the consult is helpful. 
and wishes to any others with appointments today.

I will celebrate the Golden Arches, DH was a manager back in the day and has a Degree from Hamburger University in Chicago.   Yes it’s a thing! lol!  I also will be forever grateful that Ronald  McDonald House provided a home for our daughter and her family for several months when their daughter was hospitalized last year.  It’s a charity worth supporting.  

Well finally the first crocus were blooming yesterday, unfortunately snow is on the way , again,  

IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!
Very cynical and shallow quote, would try the drink, but pass on the red wine.  Also would try the meal (as a side dish) but add the beets. We have been to Manzanillo once, and I agree with others that McDonald's isn't good for anyone, especially those with heart problems, Diabetes, or on low sodium diets for kidney issues.

It has been kind of a stressful morning.  We've booked a get-away with the DGSs for their birthdays next month, going to a well-known indoor water park.  Today we tried adding on a cabana for the day and the person (who obviously doesn't live here) could not understand what we wanted.  Every confirmation email he sent was incorrect.  We finally gave up and will settle it when we get there -- at least we have some sort of confirmation we have the cabana.  It would have been easily done if only we could have booked it online, but that isn't possible. 

Also our electric bill is all messed up.  We're on the budget plan, paying the same amount every month.  We paid ahead for the 3 months we were gone, and they've put it in as a credit....and now our new budget payment is $5.....Again, the person didn't "get it".  Our neighbor's bill was also messed up, so I think they're having a billing problem and don't know it.

Looking forward to getting some gardening therapy this afternoon after the rain stops!  Yesterday I got some of the bulbs planted, now I need to get the rest done.  

Annie @marshhawk you were asking what I'd do with all that NZ sheep's wool that our wine bottles were wrapped in -- my neighbor is an excellent seamstress and is excited to have them.  She already has ideas about what to use it for. 🙂  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Prayers for a full and easy recovery for your twin Linda.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2