The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 1st, 2024

Today is Law Day, Couples Appreciation Day, and Loyalty Day

As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.--John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Meal Suggestion for today - Pesto Chicken Bake
Drink of the Day - Cuba Libre(Rum and Coke)
Wine of the Day - Le Gay 2020 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Juneau, Alaska

Today in History:
1707 Acts of Union comes into force, uniting England and Scotland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-03

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 06:30 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination La Coruna, Spain Galicia eta 05-02

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 05-02

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Valletta, Malta eta 5-2

Rotterdam

Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 05-02

Zaandam

Vancouver, Canada  07:00 -1600

Zuiderdam

Banjul, Gambia 07:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

• Like 18
  • Thanks 25

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  Good morning friends on this first day of May.  It is 59F here and will be a sunny day with a high of 84.

Thanks Roy @rafinmd for helping with the fleet location maps and thanks to Rich @richwmn for compiling the information for the post today.  It's a good day to celebrate Law Day, Couples Appreciation Day and Loyalty Day.  All seem very worthwhile to me.  I like the quote, might try the meal suggestion, say no to the rum and coke, and am not sure what type of wine Le Gay is.  A huge day in the United Kingdom!  Thanks Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers for DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the troops at sea and on bases in the region.  Also for our Care list group, especially Maureen and Richard @RMLincoln, and Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk.  Praying for improvement and better news today for you all.🙏  A big hug today to Jacqui @kazu🤗  Know we are thinking of each and every one of you.

Cheers to all celebrating special events today and for those cruising. 🥂🚢  I hope this day brings you happiness.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the great list keeping each day.  We are happy you are doing so well after all you've been through.

Last night DD showed me a photo she took of a nest she found under her deck.  Her dogs had been sniffing around under there so she investigated.  It turned out to be an owl!  We've talked a bit about owls here lately and thought you'd like to see it.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The port today is Juneau, Alaska.  It's early in the Alaska cruise season but it's a very important cruise destination.  This was the port of the day on March 14, 2021 and Nov. 1, 2023.  Take a look at the fleet locations on the March 14, 2021 post and you will see how far we've come back from those dismal days.   Here are the links for you.

Hope this is a good day for everyone here!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from Nieuw Statendam, currently sailing off the coast of Portugal with destination La Corunna, tomorrow morning.

Screenshot_20240501_090655_VesselFinder.thumb.jpg.751415777882a409017cbcc8979e971e.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Rabbit 🐇 Rabbit 🐇 White Rabbit 🐇.

Best wishes on May day and a lucky month for us all.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for introducing today's daily discussion topics and HAL fleet locations.

3 important days today.

An important day in history for us in the UK.

Prayers for the wellbeing of all on the care list.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240501_084303.jpg

Screenshot_20240501_084328.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 17

For a lot of cruisers, Alaska is their first cruise.  It was for us.  I remember back in 2001 at Thanksgiving dinner.  DDIL said “I'd love to take an Alaskan cruise”.  DH said “me too”!  DS and I looked at them and said, "uhhh, okay!!".  DDIL contacted a travel agent and set it all up for July 2002.  We were such newbies we didn't even know we should fill out all the paperwork online ahead of time so it took us a while to get checked in.  But we had a wonderful trip and that is what got us started on cruising. 

Way back on July 17, 2002 we were in Juneau on Star Princess, where DS and DDIL went horseback riding at the Mendenhall glacier.  They were wearing rain capes since it was a little showery at times.  They enjoyed it a lot!  Aww, they look so young.

Some of the scenery along the way.

Not to mention the glacier!

Meanwhile DH and I walked around town and went up the Mount Roberts Tramway.  Here's the Star Princess below us.

A wet downtown.

The sun came out as we prepared to leave that day, of course.  Doesn't it always happen that way?  Here I am watching the sea planes take off and land.

I remembered something about our first cruise to Alaska in 2002.  We were out on the decks in Glacier Bay moving about the ship to get different views, when I looked down and saw a diamond tennis bracelet laying there.  I put it in my coat pocket and finished watching the glaciers.  A half hour later I went to Guest Services and dropped off the bracelet, giving my details.  Right in the middle of it all, another clerk was taking a call from a woman who was distraught over losing her mother's tennis bracelet which was quite unique.  It was passed down to her.  They had her describe it and it matched the one I brought in.  So she came down to retrieve it, and sent DH and I a bottle of champagne as thanks.  I always hope someone will do the same if I lost a piece of jewelry or a camera, etc.  This is where I found the bracelet, either just before or just after the photo was taken.

Whew talk about someone looking young.  Shocking to see us 22 years ago!

In 2009 we did back to back Alaska cruises on Sapphire Princess.  That worked out very well since the first week the weather in Glacier Bay was so bad, and we had to turn around and leave to try to beat a huge storm in the Gulf of Alaska.  On the second segment of our cruise the weather in Glacier Bay was sunny, windless, and almost warm.  The photos turned out great!

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on these cruises.

In 2009 in Juneau we took a long walk around town, and even walked to see what the Governor's Mansion looked like.

After our tour about town, we boarded a local bus that took tourists out to Mendenhall Glacier since we hadn't seen it in 2002.  Here is the glacier again, and an interesting display of glacier ice.

The next week we docked in Juneau on Sept. 16 but the weather was rainy and miserable, so the only photos taken that day were of another ship coming into port, and our Captain’s Circle party followed by formal night dinner that evening.  Looks like the alternating weather forecasts for the two week cruise was still holding true.

For our 50th anniversary (actual date) we did the 14 day Amsterdam Alaska cruise in August-September 2019.  It was a great day weather-wise when we visited Juneau.  The seaplanes are always fun to watch.

We got off to walk around thanks to that great weather.  Besides you have to work hard to burn calories while cruising!

Tram shots

Another HAL ship arriving

We had a great day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Today is progress day for my counted cross stitch stocking I'm making for DGD Ashley's fiance Chris.  I started it around Jan. 1 or 2nd.  This was one month ago.

And this was taken last night.  Four full months of work and it's coming along fast.

This was taken with lamp light and not daylight so the color appears different.  

• Like 36
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

For a lot of cruisers, Alaska is their first cruise.  It was for us.  I remember back in 2001 at Thanksgiving dinner.  DDIL said “I'd love to take an Alaskan cruise”.  DH said “me too”!  DS and I looked at them and said, "uhhh, okay!!".  DDIL contacted a travel agent and set it all up for July 2002.  We were such newbies we didn't even know we should fill out all the paperwork online ahead of time so it took us a while to get checked in.  But we had a wonderful trip and that is what got us started on cruising. 

Way back on July 17, 2002 we were in Juneau on Star Princess, where DS and DDIL went horseback riding at the Mendenhall glacier.  They were wearing rain capes since it was a little showery at times.  They enjoyed it a lot!  Aww, they look so young.

Some of the scenery along the way.

Not to mention the glacier!

Meanwhile DH and I walked around town and went up the Mount Roberts Tramway.  Here's the Star Princess below us.

A wet downtown.

The sun came out as we prepared to leave that day, of course.  Doesn't it always happen that way?  Here I am watching the sea planes take off and land.

I remembered something about our first cruise to Alaska in 2002.  We were out on the decks in Glacier Bay moving about the ship to get different views, when I looked down and saw a diamond tennis bracelet laying there.  I put it in my coat pocket and finished watching the glaciers.  A half hour later I went to Guest Services and dropped off the bracelet, giving my details.  Right in the middle of it all, another clerk was taking a call from a woman who was distraught over losing her mother's tennis bracelet which was quite unique.  It was passed down to her.  They had her describe it and it matched the one I brought in.  So she came down to retrieve it, and sent DH and I a bottle of champagne as thanks.  I always hope someone will do the same if I lost a piece of jewelry or a camera, etc.  This is where I found the bracelet, either just before or just after the photo was taken.

Whew talk about someone looking young.  Shocking to see us 22 years ago!

In 2009 we did back to back Alaska cruises on Sapphire Princess.  That worked out very well since the first week the weather in Glacier Bay was so bad, and we had to turn around and leave to try to beat a huge storm in the Gulf of Alaska.  On the second segment of our cruise the weather in Glacier Bay was sunny, windless, and almost warm.  The photos turned out great!

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on these cruises.

In 2009 in Juneau we took a long walk around town, and even walked to see what the Governor's Mansion looked like.

After our tour about town, we boarded a local bus that took tourists out to Mendenhall Glacier since we hadn't seen it in 2002.  Here is the glacier again, and an interesting display of glacier ice.

The next week we docked in Juneau on Sept. 16 but the weather was rainy and miserable, so the only photos taken that day were of another ship coming into port, and our Captain’s Circle party followed by formal night dinner that evening.  Looks like the alternating weather forecasts for the two week cruise was still holding true.

For our 50th anniversary (actual date) we did the 14 day Amsterdam Alaska cruise in August-September 2019.  It was a great day weather-wise when we visited Juneau.  The seaplanes are always fun to watch.

We got off to walk around thanks to that great weather.  Besides you have to work hard to burn calories while cruising!

Tram shots

Another HAL ship arriving

We had a great day!

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for all of your fantastic photos of yourselves and Juneau.

It is extremely helpful to see somewhere we have never been to.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is progress day for my counted cross stitch stocking I'm making for DGD Ashley's fiance Chris.  I started it around Jan. 1 or 2nd.  This was one month ago.

And this was taken last night.  Four full months of work and it's coming along fast.

This was taken with lamp light and not daylight so the color appears different.  

Excellent dedication Sandi.

Ashley and Chris are very fortunate to have you do this for them.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good day. During the night we crossed the equator for the fourth time this voyage. Indian Ocean is pretty much a millpond today. 
They did a great job of decorating Windows (Lido) last night as there was a 50/50 chance of rain. The culinary team does such a fantastic job on special dining nights.

The Other Guys quartet put on a great show last night Tonight will be “Almost” Newly Wed show and Tom on guitar/piano. He’s very good.

So we are chugging along cause that’s what you do when circumnavigating around Africa.

Have a great, safe and healthy May. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.3ee97713c168990d92739e470c3b65ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8ec7999649b59fee468b4aea852cef8.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Today’s Care List:

Anniversary of kazu’s (Jacqui’s) DD DH Jose’s passing

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, moved out of ICU

Smitty34877 with injured left shoulder

Atexsix (Bruno) mourning his DD DD and dealing with the business matters

Nebraska, Iowa and Oklahoma tornados with 5 dead, 100’s injured

3 US Marshalls and 1 CMPD officer shot and killed in NC

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Niagarawine’s DH getting a good cancer checkup

Sharon in AZ’s DM improving

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam May 5 to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic

4 days for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore May 5 to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas

ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure, Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

69 this AM heading up to 85 with abundant sunshine.

Excellent selection of days.

Meh on the quote.

The meal is worth a try.

Juneau was the first stop on our 2000 Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy, it was cold and damp that day, once was enough.

We didn’t go to the beach yesterday as our dentist office called and they were able to move up my appointment which was after our May 11 cruise, I had a piece come off  an upper right tooth so the dentist was able to put a temporary crown, procedure took about 90 minutes, not a lot of fun, the permanent crown might be in before our cruise.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 32

Rabbit  Rabbit  White Rabbit

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Welcome May!  Please be a good month.

A lovely spring day in the forecast for us, mild and sunny.  I hope it continues.

Three good days to celebrate.

I like the quote, very romantic.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink, I hope the wine is good too.

Our first cruise was to Alaska.  A 7 night round trip cruise from Vancouver on the Volendam.  We keep thinking we should go back and cruise Alaska again, but we haven't made it yet, but we will.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Rabbit, rabbit, White Rabbit

Cuba Libre (Rum and Coke)

About

Rum and Coke, or the Cuba libre, is a highball cocktail consisting of cola, rum, and in many recipes lime juice on ice. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Rum
Ingredients:
1 2/3 oz White rum,
1/3 oz Fresh lime juice,
 4 oz Cola

Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime wedge
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 6.09.29 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 21

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is a warm morning here at 69 degrees (humidity is 97%), with a predicted high of 87. 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day!  

20231105_050645.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Pesto is a paste that traditionally consists of crushed garlic, pine nuts, coarse salt, basil leaves, and hard cheese such as Parmesan or pecorino, all blended with olive oil.  I have substituted many greens for the basil; I particularly like spinach or arugula.  I don’t usually use pine nuts; I use walnuts but have also tried other nuts.  You can also buy pesto in the refrigerator section (better) or in a jar.

This is a very easy recipe for  Baked Pesto Chicken  that only contains 4 ingredients: boneless chicken breasts, premade pesto, plum tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. 

AD_4nXei-ZEoBrCZcFDzBYR5LLKgqj8MkmDky8ZFLauuoz8vTk0x7rL_31AhyT2K40bQ3JZ9E-3gWkS248k1nFvpbrye0M9JJQJjRaVX-1E3Jy6lHGbm89igGPjCQ-Vwv0bjRBNKQe43krvxX7myTxxYUNvMtfw?key=EeXKdB9Br9e8sBd5QZbW0w

Quick Pesto Chicken Recipe With Vegetables I like the addition of  zucchini, red bell pepper, and red onions (but you can use other vegetables you have on hand like asparagus or green beans) making this a one pot meal.

AD_4nXcYwFvZILIZx7PQXmLgAt0W1EXXjIRiTSuyUbytSBlX_-6OSSQBXOriVxf4ootoVXxNjHcquWMPjIE_OONoHOi9dM9KOt9YlYS9qoxDgOLISn5LGpuowH0vjbgPwgbgqXdaoIHABST9rG66PsXhVIGM1_Ku?key=EeXKdB9Br9e8sBd5QZbW0w

Pesto Chicken and Rice Bake is a casserole that uses a package of rice and adds some alfredo sauce for a creamier dish.

AD_4nXcpcvFOEQ29MbYtmc2pxM4Q4GLhGJ5CJJkfQrjzeC7aQcT52vXVoxh2DwfPWqpT7fIhjaW7E7plomServdr9qvZIqcodzU2HFWhb4kIVIix9sydy9qtAD4Y9WE2U_0jV4rnDqevaBUu0f0QwtXgsKbddzY?key=EeXKdB9Br9e8sBd5QZbW0w

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

I read today is also International Doodle Dog Day, for all the variations of doodles.  The golf course owner and his wife moved up the street from us, and I see them walking their doodle a lot.  It's huge and the wife is quite petite so sometimes it looks like she's giving it all she's got to hold onto that leash.  Their dog looks very well groomed and handsome.  Anyone here have a doodle of some kind?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good beautiful sunny morning. It’s going to be another day in the 80’s. 
Hugs to @kazuon this sad day, it’s also the 2nd anniversary of my church closure after 107 years. 
I’ve been to Juneau at least 10 times and would love to go back again. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 31