The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 12th, 2024

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I haven't had plain JELL-O in a while, but I like strawberry pretzel jello salad and use the JELL-O sugar-free pudding mix sometimes. Pecan pie is a bit too sweet for me. Night of Nights commemorates the last morse code transmission. Ha ha on the quote. Maybe on the meal (I prefer a grilled chicken breast for a sandwich); pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Nanortalik. A good day in British history.

After one nice not too hot day, the heat is back. I've already been to Aldi before it got too hot, to pick up a few things, and just had my coffee. I will start the chili in the slow cooker soon. I need to pull a few weeds outside, but it's already too hot. So I will clean up the kitchen instead.

@StLouisCruisers Those 30 minute time changes are confusing I'm sure. Thanks for the Nanortalik photos. I like those jagged peaks.

@Crazy For Cats Congrats to Juan on his reward from work.

@marshhawk Prayers that all goes well with DH at the hospital today and the surgery is successful. I'm glad you feel better and figured out what may have caused it; I didn't eat dinner last night as my stomach felt upset.

@Lady Hudson Yay on booking a cruise.

@kochleffel Thanks for the additional info on Night of Nights. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great Nanortalik photos. 

@smitty34877 That's good to hear that Tana requested something; I hope she is able to eat some of it.

@rafinmd I'm all for ice cream day! 

@TiogaCruiser Great job on the shed! I'm impressed. 

@Seasick Sailor Continued prayers for Bonnie. 

@RMLincoln Great news that DH's eye is better, but sorry to hear about the ear issue now. 

@ger_77 Hoping no rain for your Summerfest tomorrow!

@Nickelpenny I'm glad there was no damage to your place. 

@kazu Stay safe, so nothing interferes with getting the surgery. Hugs to you with all that's going on. Happy 10th Birthday to Ivan! 

@sailingdutchy Excellent photos from Nanortalik.

@luvteaching So sorry to hear about DM's fall while in the ER and her black eyes and gash. At least she was in a medical setting where she could get immediate help.

@USN59-79 That's a funny definition of an expert as well.

@grapau27 Great garden.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

@sailingdutchy, was that the “Let’s Dodge Some Hurricanes” Special?  We were on that spectacular trip - such a great time and amazing crew. We laughed that the Captain’s daily weather briefing became must see TV. Thanks for the pictures and memories. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

He's back; let the counting begin, lol. I did respond this time, but think it's appropriate so as to not get me kicked off CC.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3018184-follow-up-to-horrible-cruise-with-hal/?do=findComment&comment=67636167

I posted too. You had great restraint sister!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning and Happy Friday!  We got some of the storm that Pennie @Nickelpenny mentioned but not as severe. Just goes to show how you can live in the same city with different results from a storm, aka that you can have rain on one side of the street and not the other. It did mess up the pool and I think Craig is getting tired of cleaning it almost every day. 

Hmmm, chicken burgers. Well my thoughts are that I’d rather have chicken meatballs or just call the chicken burger a chicken meatball sandwich. Today I need to make something out of the whole chicken I bought on sale. My thought was to cut it up and try Lenda’s @Quartzsite Cruiser recipes for air fryer chicken but I don’t feel like cutting it up now. So I think it’ll be a smoked whole chicken. 

Annie @marshhawk, thinking of you and Chuck today. Praying all goes according to plan. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, continuing prayers for your sister. 

Jacqui @kazu, thinking of you and your busy week next week. I know it will all work out and that you will get through it all. Happy Birthday to Ivan!!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, can you check something for me?  Can you see what time the evening trivia is?  The one that is around 6:30 or so?  I think it will probably be the same as when I board the Zuiderdam next month. Thank you!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

We're heading for a high of around 80 today, and still no rain in sight.  I haven't even seen any clouds.  It will heat up again to near 90 next week.

Jello is good when you're on an all-liquid diet, otherwise I'll pass. Will pass on the pecan pie too, it's much too sweet for me.  Being a GA boy, DH has always loved it.  Funny quote, I'd like the drink, pass on the sweet Riesling.  I like chicken burgers and have never found them to be dry. I printed off the first recipe because I actually have all the ingredients for once. 😉  Will probably do the lettuce wraps to cut the carbs.

We're late getting going today, DH had a coughing fit in the middle of the night.  Very strange, it came on out of nowhere.  So we were both awake awhile.  He took a Covid test just to be sure, and as expected it was negative.  He's wondering if he had a reaction to a new antibiotic he got for the bladder cancer procedure he had yesterday.  He has the procedures (making sure no cancer has returned) regularly but this time they used a different antibiotic.  

Yesterday instead of doing the vacuuming I'd planned, I ended up cleaning windows -- I love the Windex outdoor because it reaches the second story windows and does a great job!  So today I'll do the vacuuming and other housework.  And watering the garden.  We really need a day of rain.

We were in Nanortalik in 2018 on the Voyage of the Vikings on the last Rotterdam. Great cruise!   We enjoyed just walking around the area, taking in the local flavor.  As our Cruise Director said, "Nanortalik is no Las Vegas" 😉  But in our opinion that was a plus.

Here are some photos of our walk.  It was a brisk, cloudy day.

entertainers.thumb.jpg.30df60ec41b47ff05a06df74934b5b78.jpgmemorial.jpg.b9f11626172c5cb80b92300dd1caedc9.jpg49564013_viewofchurch.jpg.b37c0d9f932dcacc4de46bd08be7beff.jpg

See the profile in the rock?

profile.jpg.d7a8166e1c1bfbe1b66dfa1799b13c79.jpg48008847_shipNanortalik.jpg.b96d82bb334537cf7f071ebb3e3d4c5e.jpg1460907295_townNanortalik.jpg.6ccbf6ed3f34d1cf3637e57226526b12.jpg1625341798_viewofNanortalik.jpg.faa643662d5449bdb4fc10c09eb2eb2c.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Congrats @Crazy For Cats to DH for a job well done - enjoy the Omaha Steak package; we love their hot dogs and pork burgers. 

@quilty964 the cucumber looks good.

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser @sailingdutchy @Cruising-along thank you for all the wonderful photos.

@marshhawk thinking of you and DH as he has his procedure today ❤️and prayers 🙏 for his care team.

@Lady Hudson prayers 🙏 continue for your friend who had the stroke.

@Seasick Sailor prayers 🙏 continue for your DS and her care team.

@TiogaCruiser nice shed - will you come organize ours?

@smitty34877 good to read Tana is asking for specific foods.Hugs 🤗 to you all.

@kazu you will pull it all together as you always do - you're amazing!

Yikes @Nickelpenny on the storm, prayers 🙏 and 🤞 they continue to miss you & you stay safe.

Happy to hear you're having good weather @luvteaching and that your friend is still enjoying yourself. Hopefully your mom heals quickly from the fall and the pacemaker does it's job.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

...DH was better yesterday, thankfully!  We were both getting beside ourselves. I started searching for other causes but more antihistamines got it under control. Getting the electronic air cleaner going again too. 🤞 Thanks for your continued support!  Today I’ll meet up with DH at medical after my mindfulness gathering, he has an ear issue…. 🤦🏼‍♀️. It so great to be able to walk there! 

Yay the antihistamines brought your DH some relief; hopefully the ear issue clears soon.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

An update- they were unable to do anything, so major surgery ahead.  They called when I got on my street= hadn't even made it in the driveway yet.  BUT he has to lie down flat on his back until 5. She asked if I wanted to turn around and come right back and keep him company.  Um, no.  I need to clean this house so he can get around in it. I told her I would be there at 4.  And of course there is construction a block from the hospital and I will have to pay again another 5 bucks to park.  (I know I'm sounding cold, but I am angry.  The doc explained to him that if they cant get in the stent, they would have to do major surgery, why couldnt they just do the major surgery! Now we have to reschedule surgery again, and this is the third time they have gone in, and said they cant do anything unless he has major surgery.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 21

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Friday!  We got some of the storm that Pennie @Nickelpenny mentioned but not as severe. Just goes to show how you can live in the same city with different results from a storm, aka that you can have rain on one side of the street and not the other. It did mess up the pool and I think Craig is getting tired of cleaning it almost every day. 

Hmmm, chicken burgers. Well my thoughts are that I’d rather have chicken meatballs or just call the chicken burger a chicken meatball sandwich. Today I need to make something out of the whole chicken I bought on sale. My thought was to cut it up and try Lenda’s @Quartzsite Cruiser recipes for air fryer chicken but I don’t feel like cutting it up now. So I think it’ll be a smoked whole chicken. 

Annie @marshhawk, thinking of you and Chuck today. Praying all goes according to plan. 

Jacqui @kazu, thinking of you and your busy week next week. I know it will all work out and that you will get through it all. Happy Birthday to Ivan!!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, can you check something for me?  Can you see what time the evening trivia is?  The one that is around 6:30 or so?  I think it will probably be the same as when I board the Zuiderdam next month. Thank you!

Sharon, I take the easy way out.  It costs a bit more, but I buy the skin-on bone-in legs and thighs for "frying" and casseroles.  I only buy whole chickens for roasting or smoking and for chicken and dumplings.  I have to cut the chicken in half to lay flat in the Dutch oven for the chicken and dumplings.

5 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

An update- they were unable to do anything, so major surgery ahead.  They called when I got on my street= hadn't even made it in the driveway yet.  BUT he has to lie down flat on his back until 5. She asked if I wanted to turn around and come right back and keep him company.  Um, no.  I need to clean this house so he can get around in it. I told her I would be there at 4.  And of course there is construction a block from the hospital and I will have to pay again another 5 bucks to park.  (I know I'm sounding cold, but I am angry.  The doc explained to him that if they cant get in the stent, they would have to do major surgery, why couldnt they just do the major surgery! Now we have to reschedule surgery again, and this is the third time they have gone in, and said they cant do anything unless he has major surgery.)

Annie, I was so hoping they would be able to open the stent today.  I don't blame you for being angry about the situation, DH still being in pain, and having to go through all the waiting to reschedule.  Take your anger out on the house today.  They say no one cleans a house faster than an angry woman; so your house should sparkle when you finish.  HUGS!

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

@sailingdutchy Tony, as an experiment I right-clicked on your Greenlandic sign and there was an option to "Search image in google", which opened it in Google Lens and gave this result:

"Iserlutit X-tramiit qinigassaatigut
ANNERTUUT alakkakkit
Come in and see our LARGE selection of X-tra products"

I love it when technology works! I appreciate your insightful port reports, always fun to follow along.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, evening trivia is at 7 pm in Billboard Onboard.  We are headed up to Gallery Bar at 4 pm and they have trivia there at 4 pm as well.  The 7 pm is Music Trivia.

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

Early good afternoon and thanks all,  the joys of these many time zones!  Thanks Tony, Sandi, Lenda and Carolyn for such wonderful photos! 

@kazu happy 10 th birthday Ivan!  Praying all goes well for these weeks! 

Nice to hear such great feedback about the wonderful recipes @dfishhas been sharing,  peanut butter  yum!  @smitty34877 Bok choy and peanut butter,  sounds great,  glad Tana has been thinking of that! 

@RMLincoln so glad your DH has had some relief, it can be so all encompassing  when we’re not feeling well.

@Seasick Sailor glad your DS got such definitive results, and that the surgery can be planned.  Continued prayers. 

@Cruzin Terricontinued prayers as you navigate this new normal.  You have been greatly in my thoughts!

@luvteaching I so feel for you, so hard to be away when so much is going on, but so glad that your DM is home.    Oh no on the fall!  Your mom is so like my DD DM,  who fell when we had taken our DD and family to Hawaii for her wedding gift.  And also needed a pacemaker, and then fell in hospital.  Sending hugs and prayers. 

@ger_77 too bad we weren’t closer!   Sounds like a blast!  Tell DH to take a video of any storms tonight and show you in the morning, lol! 

@marshhawk. Hugs and prayers! 

We lost a lovely shipmate this week,  she was a concert pianist that we had the good fortune to hear onboard when we visited st Petersburg.  

Thought I’d share our more vegetarian intensive lunch.  We have a wonderful Japanese tea house in the mountains that makes a fabulous grapefruit ginger dressing.  

IMG_6533.thumb.jpeg.3ef1a5d2ce67c9ff76768d3a716e6eaf.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

@sailingdutchy, was that the “Let’s Dodge Some Hurricanes” Special?  We were on that spectacular trip - such a great time and amazing crew. We laughed that the Captain’s daily weather briefing became must see TV. Thanks for the pictures and memories. 

That's great that you were also on this wonderful cruise @Live4cruises and that you also still remember the escapades of Captain Bowland and cruise director JC doing the weather report on ship TV , something we still laugh about specially because the Captain towered over JC even when he was standing on a specially made for him box that he had to stand on to get close to the Captains height . Everybody watched that TV in the morning with all of the special weather maps of the 2 huge storms ........... 

Of coarse Hotel Director Stan Kuppens was so good to have him on board ! 

What a team !!!!

Talking to Captain Bowland years later when he did our renewal of vows he told us he also was a hockey player in New Brunswick , guess what position ..... he was the goalie , he must have filled the whole net !  Impossible to score on him ! 

Tony 

• Like 21

I do apologize for my outburst.  I am very angry with these two doctors, I did get the porch and outside the porch sprayed down, and vacuumed and am currently washing all the cat beds and blankets from the porch.  I vacuumed the den, and straightened out his binkie on the sofa, and located an ornamental bucket to hang and put his mail in, so that it is not all over the counter...which the cats knock off into their food and water bowls. which gives me one hour to clean the tile kitchen floor, think wet towels and skating combination....sweep the hall, and then, back to the hospital.  I'll check back in later tonight.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sharon, evening trivia is at 7 pm in Billboard Onboard.  We are headed up to Gallery Bar at 4 pm and they have trivia there at 4 pm as well.  The 7 pm is Music Trivia.

Thank you Sandi!  I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make that time because I believe Main Seating is at 7:30. Oh well, not a biggy since Rich @richwmn won’t be onboard. 

I have really enjoyed reading about your cruise and hope your DS shoulder surgery is scheduled soon. Also , I’ve been anticipating the twins birth on the 25! 

47 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, I take the easy way out.  It costs a bit more, but I buy the skin-on bone-in legs and thighs for "frying" and casseroles.  I only buy whole chickens for roasting or smoking and for chicken and dumplings.  I have to cut the chicken in half to lay flat in the Dutch oven for the chicken and dumplings.

Annie, I was so hoping they would be able to open the stent today.  I don't blame you for being angry about the situation, DH still being in pain, and having to go through all the waiting to reschedule.  Take your anger out on the house today.  They say no one cleans a house faster than an angry woman; so your house should sparkle when you finish.  HUGS!

Lenda

Thank you Lenda. I actually prefer breast but the store didn’t have that so I had a silly idea to cut up a whole chicken. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 17

We visited today’s port of Nanortalik in August 2022 while on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The first thing we saw was an iceberg near the ship.  After tendering to shore, we began walking around town.  An area of the original township has been turned into a museum consisting of about six old buildings.

IMG_5948.thumb.jpeg.937e86fddd9bc4f143bd9d8be4b4b090.jpeg

IMG_5949.thumb.jpeg.99d95cc5b3bfdf56440b4e6f793ad137.jpeg

IMG_5947.thumb.jpeg.6a23b0b8a3231ed30f1815a2dc4c1f51.jpeg

IMG_5953.thumb.jpeg.81f8aefbfbacbb32ca030da40320ce40.jpeg

IMG_5952.thumb.jpeg.6e99e97eb7c2cb5644ec28ab7d8bd5dd.jpeg

IMG_5951.thumb.jpeg.f65e629a47a46f03f8f940b6d3b57063.jpeg

IMG_5950.thumb.jpeg.395b048b6570df76ca3ecbb0f1a71ee4.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Totally off the cruising subject but....do any of you on the East Coast have suggestions for the best things to do next July? We will be in West Yarmouth for a week with DS & DDIL. We plan on a visit to Nantucket (wow-I won't complain about Washington State Ferry prices anymore-or at least for a while) but beyond that, who knows. Thanks!

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I do apologize for my outburst.  I am very angry with these two doctors, I did get the porch and outside the porch sprayed down, and vacuumed and am currently washing all the cat beds and blankets from the porch.  I vacuumed the den, and straightened out his binkie on the sofa, and located an ornamental bucket to hang and put his mail in, so that it is not all over the counter...which the cats knock off into their food and water bowls. which gives me one hour to clean the tile kitchen floor, think wet towels and skating combination....sweep the hall, and then, back to the hospital.  I'll check back in later tonight.

Annie, there is no need to apologize, especially here.  What they have put your DH and you through three times, is unbelievable.  I can see the second attempt, but honestly, what were they thinking.  Vent all you want here.  You have been busy, and I hope you enjoy the clean rooms now.  Hope all this wasn't too hard on your DH.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

No problem. You have a lot on your plate.🙏

• Like 15