Door decorating - do you or do you not?

Door decorating  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When cruising, how often do you decorate your cabin door?

• Always or nearly always
    • Sometimes, as often as not
    • Rarely
    • Never!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2024 at 04:26 PM

For those of you who can't see the poll question, it's how often do you decorate your cabin door on a cruise?  And the choices are always or almost always, sometimes (as often as not), rarely, and never.  I think I know how the results from this grizzled veteran group are going to go, but there's always the chance for a surprise.

BTW, be sure to count all forms of decorations - from magnets to a full door covering, cruise line provided or brought from home.

Anyway, I was inspired by a nice article on door decorating by Megan duBois at The Points Guy, which has door decorating rules by cruise line and general tips.  You can find it at this link:  Door decorations on cruises: How to get creative in your cabin corridor - The Points Guy .

Thank you in advance for satisfying my curiosity!  

Edited by Honolulu Blue

We don't go crazy but I do like to do a magnet or photo + magnet

We used to always bring a dry erase thing but now with in-app texting (RC) we don't, but it was always funny coming back to see if someone had drawn on it or whatever. 

• Thanks 1

We have never decorated our cabin door and won't likely do it in the future.   But that isn't a humbug -- door decorations often bring a smile.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well for all the years we have sailed in the past decades and different ships, we never placed anything on the outside of the door.

No Anniversary, Birthday or Placard noting a group we are sailing with or part of to show their name.

We come on board our favorite ship, the QM2, and enjoy the way we remember it and come back to see it the same way. They put so much effort to keep it looking great and why alter that look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see nothing wrong with tastefully decorating a door for holidays or celebrations.  We've done it a few times.  When others do it, we tend to smile.  Unfortunately, some people take it way too far or they lack decency, but they tend to be in the minority.  

Of course, it is a community of thousands of people, so there are always going to be the Mrs. Kravitz's walking the halls in utter disgust at others' enjoyment.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never been on a cruise line where people do this.  Don't understand it, and although I probably don't care if you do it or not, I can tell you that I would never myself do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

...We come on board our favorite ship, the QM2, and enjoy the way we remember it and come back to see it the same way. They put so much effort to keep it looking great and why alter that look. 

Ditto.  Door decorating is a practice that I abhor.  At best it's folk art.  At worst it's as tacky as subway graffiti. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I put something up to recognize my room, that way I only have to miss it twice instead of 4 times .  Of course having it in place reduces my steps considerably 

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Voted sometimes, but it's less often as not. We only decorate when we are on a day care cruise (where DW's day care families join us) and that happens every two to three years. We don't decorate otherwise. It's only been a magnet that DW provides to each family for their door.

• Thanks 1

Ok since we are on the door decor topic. I have a friend who insists that if a person has a pineapple decal on their door that they are swingers and are in essence putting out their shingle.  Is this true?  Am I truly that naive?

18 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Upside down pineapples, yes.  And they may be putting out a communicable disease, just not shingles.  LOL

Ok, I will “straighten” her out.  These pineapples were upright

I've never done it but that's because the last times I cruised, they weren't a thing. I've thought about putting a magnet on the door for this next cruise just to make it easier to find. I've definitely tried to open the wrong door at a hotel at times so I think putting someone on the door to distinguish it from all the others is clever. Decoring it like there's a prize for how much you can get on a single door seems a bit over the top to me but whatever...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Decoring it like there's a prize for how much you can get on a single door seems a bit over the top to me but whatever...

I've been on charter cruises where there were prizes for best decorated cabin doors.

Oh, and thanks everyone for your replies in this thread and in the poll.  Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

On some of the social media First Time Cruisers forums that I see, Decorating Your Door is one of the things that people are told "everyone does", along with buying and hiding 50 - 100 ducks, wearing a lanyard at all times, carrying a Stanley cup around all the time, and furnishing the inside of your cabin with your own storage products, fan, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/4/2024 at 7:56 AM, Kristelle said:

What surprises me yet again, is how worked up some posters get about it other people doing something they enjoy that really has no impact on others.

I just accept that people are different.  In my mind door decorating is right up there with rubber ducks and bringing small stuffed animals to the dinner table.  I don't get it, but it seems to make some people happy.  In a way, I'm kind of envious of those people who get pleasure from such small things.  I guess it's just not in my DNA.

• Like 3