Overinflated ships doctors visit fees

TylerRose

Omg most people on CD are so rude OP original question was can she claim any of the medical cost can be claimed thru her son's insurance and does anyone have experience with this issue.

And she has to endure being flamed with accusations of If he doesn't have 1600.00 he shouldn't be cruising or I hope your making him pay you back (as if it's anyone business his financial situation)

Then the post after post about 1600. Is the normal cost of services rendered. Don't think she needed a lecture on medical ER prices.

Then the ever popular always have travel insurance. I think OP got the message the first time it was posted but everyone seems to enjoy piling it on.

No, not really. IMHO most are asking why a man who is old and mature enough to be married should need his mom/dad to bail him out of a $1600 bill.

It may be a cultural and maybe maturity thing; we never even thought the parents should help us with something like this. The bill is really not that big.

I hope the parents get reimbursed and no the charges are not out of the realm of healthcare costs.

May the newlyweds grow in their new life.

I'm sorry for your son (and his wife, and they're spoiled honeymoon), and I hope they can get some reimbursed by their insurance company. Claiming these charges are "overinflated" will be a non-starter....to begin with, I think you don't really understand the cost of a visit to an emergency clinic. The median cost for a visit to an emergency room for a headache 9in the US) is about $1200.

Agree, I have a friend who went to ER with an infected thumb and that cost more $5000. Regardless, I would get an itemized bill from the the ship of services and charges... some years ago, I had ringing in my ear... visited the on board doctor a couple of times for treatment... believe the bill came to something around $300 not bad really.. I submitted it to my private insuranace and was reimbursed.

That does sound a bit high. I would certainly asked for an itemized bill. As others have reported - ive heard of people going to the ships doctor and getting charges anywhere from a few to several hundred. All I can think is he ran every test they possibly could???

But yes, if there are no glaring errors; unfortunately he will be stuck with paying it and submitting it to his health insurance when he gets home in the hope some can be reimbursed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Omg most people on CD are so rude OP original question was can she claim any of the medical cost can be claimed thru her son's insurance and does anyone have experience with this issue.

And she has to endure being flamed with accusations of If he doesn't have 1600.00 he shouldn't be cruising or I hope your making him pay you back (as if it's anyone business his financial situation)

Then the post after post about 1600. Is the normal cost of services rendered. Don't think she needed a lecture on medical ER prices.

Then the ever popular always have travel insurance. I think OP got the message the first time it was posted but everyone seems to enjoy piling it on.

When people start out, as is so common here, with 'overinflated', 'scam', 'got me', or other such claims against a cruise line for relatively common occurrences, many responders will adopt a similar tone.

Sure you can say that posters are mean, but sometimes the original poster starts out being 'mean' by attributing bad faith to the cruiseline. Chance's are the OP, in this case, has never seen a raw bill from an ER visit and therefore has no real basis for his charge of over-inflated. For most people the ER doesn't seem that expensive because of 2 reasons. First, generally the medical group running the ER and the hospital have negotiated specific reduced rates of reimbursement with the insurer. Second, the insurance company pays most of the reduced rate. But get treatment in an ER without any insurance coverage and you will pay (or at least get charged, because uninsured ER services end up being one of the biggest write-offs for hospitals) through the nose. No lower negotiated rates and no insurance company sharing the cost.

And in the case of a ship doctor the economics are worse because they do not have any thing like the volume of activity a land-based ER has, which means the fixed costs of the practice are spread over far fewer patients than an ER. Just having a medical clinic on a ship, before considering any of the cost for actually treating patients is an expensive proposition. They pay the same amount for a blood pressure device that might be used 10 times in a given period as an ER does for the same device that is used, maybe, 100 times in the same period - so OF COURSE it is more expensive to have your BPS taken on a ship than in an ER. And this is just one example. Extend it to everything else it takes to maintain a shipboard medical clinic and that $1600 might end up seeming like a bargain.

OPs who ASK if something is reasonable will, in my experience, get gentler treatment than those who start out by hurling accusations. It is a little thing called human nature.

No, not really. IMHO most are asking why a man who is old and mature enough to be married should need his mom/dad to bail him out of a $1600 bill.

Umm, well... we have a grown son, almost 27, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have $1,600.00 of room on his credit card for an unexpected bill such as this. He is responsible and pays his bills, but sometimes people just don't have that much credit "available". We would certainly help either of our grown children if they absolutely needed it.

Umm, well... we have a grown son, almost 27, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have $1,600.00 of room on his credit card for an unexpected bill such as this. He is responsible and pays his bills, but sometimes people just don't have that much credit "available". We would certainly help either of our grown children if they absolutely needed it.

He should... I'm only a few years older than your son and for most of my employed adult life I've have had access to at least $20,000 in more credit than I need. Simply from opening a new card every few years when there's better rewards or benefits or whatever; cards usually start at $5,000-$10,000 in available credit. Shoot, my last card started me with a $17,500 limit because I have such a long history of using credit responsibly. And while I do close old accounts out eventually I prefer to hang onto a few cards for backups/emergencies - i.e. This

I am always concerned to read about people who choose to travel without insurance I feel $1600 is not "that" much, but enough that I hope it proves to be a life lesson

I have seen things in my British newspapers where people have been in USA and been involved in big accidents where there the hospital fees have been in the hundreds of thousands... we sure take our own NHS for granted here!

Is vertigo bad?

It may be a cultural and maybe maturity thing; we never even thought the parents should help us with something like this. The bill is really not that big.

I hope the parents get reimbursed and no the charges are not out of the realm of healthcare costs.

May the newlyweds grow in their new life.

Why is this anyone's business on CC? That was not the question OP asked. If they want to bail him out it's a private family matter and they don't need to be chastised here.

I am always concerned to read about people who choose to travel without insurance I feel $1600 is not "that" much, but enough that I hope it proves to be a life lesson

I have seen things in my British newspapers where people have been in USA and been involved in big accidents where there the hospital fees have been in the hundreds of thousands... we sure take our own NHS for granted here!

Is vertigo bad?

Vertigo can be very bad and debilitating. I have suffered mild cases and have had severe attacks that last days and can't lift my head off my pillow without projectile vomiting.

I don't think OP was asking for a life lesson here on CC. I believe her and her son have learned a life lesson from this experience.

Realizing OP was on a European cruise, which could make a difference, but I remember a similar thread on CC relative to medical pricing on board a RC ship.

Someone who appeared to be well versed in insurance made the comment that on board charges are based on the US insurance/Medicare reimbursement of what is considered "normal and customary." I am sure US posters are familiar with this phrase.

Having worked in health care for many years and seen many bills, I don't think the bill for emergency services was excessive. Many of us are used to the "negotiated" rate our insurance company agrees to, not the actual billed amount.

As the title of the thread was an poorly informed accusation of "overinflated", we are not allowed to discuss, or even, debate that?

When people start out, as is so common here, with 'overinflated', 'scam', 'got me', or other such claims against a cruise line for relatively common occurrences, many responders will adopt a similar tone.

Totally agree.

Thank you to those posters who shared your advice.

I wish I had chosen my words more carefully- my goal was not to frustrate board members or make them defend their cruise line... I regret posting those words and angering so many of you. (honestly, I regret posting at all...)

I had not thought about a visit to ships doctor being equivalent to an ER visit: and through your posts- now I do & will not question charges further on cc.

I messaged my son to be sure he obtains copies of all paperwork for submission to insurance company in hopes of perhaps some reimbursment- and your reminders to do so have been appreciated.

Meanwhile, yes, they will have to settle their onboard bill (including the medical charge, before leaving the ship. In fact,if you have any major medical bills from a foreign country...the norm is you have to pay the full amount before discharge...and later try to collect from your insurance.

Hank

This is very true. My uncle passed on a land trip a while ago. He was in the hospital for two days before he passed. The hospital would not release him to the mortuary folks until the bill was paid if full. Cash only. Same with the mortuary folks. My aunt was freaking out; my cousin was booking flights and getting the cash until both places finally agreed to accept a wire transfer from the States.

Insurance? None, both were on Medicare and didn't even think about travel insurance. Credit Card coverage? None, too upset at the time and she didn't get any paperwork except the death cert and travel permits. The tour group they were with had already moved on, but the company did arrange the flight back for them.

The take from all this is when you travel out of your home territory and get sick, they got you.

Edited by Philob

I wouldn't wish vertigo on my worst enemy. I spent nearly a whole day in an ER with vomiting so bad they performed a CT scan to make sure I hadn't ruptured my stomach. I'd hate to think what that bill came to. Thank goodness I had good insurance.

To the OP: I'm sorry you regret posting. Your son's financial situation, and whether you choose to "bail him out" is really nobody's business. Both of you have already learned the "insurance lesson." When somebody purchases insurance, it's not unrealistic for them to not have an extra $1600 lying around. I hope he feels better, and that they can look back at this and laugh one day. You're a good parent!

Sorry TylerRose that you regret posting. Cruise critic was meant for people to get advice and answers about cruises and it seems to be anything but that now. Thread after thread here people and so mean spirited. Now it's resulted in people regreting even post or having to choose their words carefully.

Defiantly not what CC was intended to be like.

OP, I second the advice (somewhere upthread) to try and ensure your son follows this up with his own medic when he gets home.

Vertigo is a symptom that can be caused by a number of things. Among these are sea-sickness and ear infections but also more serious matters that are well worth excluding (or treating as necessary). Of course, I hope this turns out to be nothing serious and he quickly returns to full health.

I went to the doctor's office on a Princess ship. I did have insurance, but first I had to submit it to my 2nd insurance. My primary is Medicare. I did not think my secondary would pay anything, but they paid 80% of the charges. Make sure your son has what we used to refer to as a "super bill" in the olden days with everything spelled out in insurance terms. I did have to pay before I left the ship, but I submitted to my insurance company, and received a check in about a month. I did call and ask how to do this because there was a special form online to use for out of the USA charges. Good Luck. I have had vertigo. Not fun.

I am sorry about the situation.

This will not help now but the reality is one could get travel insurance with say insuring the trip for $100.00 rather then the full cost of the cruise but you would get the full medical coverage which would have covered all of this. I am only posting this so that others can do something like this even if they don't want to insure the trip.

Also, it is a reminder that no matter what ones age is and their current health situation things happen.

For those who don't get travel insurance to ensure the entire trip cost I highly recommend getting the insurance and insuring the lowest possible amount (usually around $100.00) so you can get the medical portion of the benefits.

Keith

thanks Keith for the gentle reminder to get "some" form of travel insurance so as to get the medical portion of the benefits. I always consider that a help when someone mentions it again.

thanks Keith for the gentle reminder to get "some" form of travel insurance so as to get the medical portion of the benefits. I always consider that a help when someone mentions it again.

Folks should shop for the insurance policy that best fits their own needs. Keep in mind that you do not need to buy Travel Insurance to get travel medical coverage. In fact, there are some terrific travel medical policies (which much better coverage then you get from Trip Insurance). Not everyone needs or wants to pay for cancellation insurance. Our case is a good example of why one might want to shop around. We travel a lot (usually 6-7 months a year out of the country)...so buying cancellation insurance becomes a very expensive proposition. And we seldom cancel trips (once in the last 35 years). So we use a credit card that gives us $10,000 of trip cancellation insurance as part of the cards benefit. And we purchase an Annual Travel Medical Policy from GeoBlue that costs about $450 a year (total for a couple). That GeoBlue policy comes with $250,000 of medical coverage (drops to $125,000 at age 70) and covers the first 70 days of EVERY trip we take for an entire year. That same policy also gives us $500,000 of evacuation insurance.

I find the medical coverage in many Travel Policies to be near laughable. A lot of those policies only give you $10,0000 of medical....which is just not enough for folks who have no other coverage. Having spent a lifetime in the medical insurance industry....we would not recommend anything less then $100,000 of medical coverage....and even that it a bit low by some standards.

What is really sad is that folks will spend hundreds of dollars for a Travel Policy.....that primarily covers the cost of a trip...which might only be a few thousand dollars. But the medical coverage might be $10,000. So they are paying a lot of money for the cancellation risk...which is capped at the cost of the trip. But meanwhile, they have neglected to get decent medical where their liability is virtually unlimited! Go figure. If they lost the entire cost of the trip....life would go on (they had to pay for that trip anyway). But if they have a major medical problem and run up a $150,000 medical bill (with only $10,000 of insurance) they might be joining the long line to get a bankruptcy attorney. Medical bills are the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA.

Hank

I think $1,600 is high. DH went to see the ship's doctor last month on our Princess cruise. The doctor did draw blood and do some tests. His bill was around $400, including the cost of a couple of prescriptions. He's filed with our primary insurance and then will follow up with our travel insurance for any charges that our primary insurance doesn't pay.

Hlitner- completely agree. Personally I don't insure my trips against cancellation. But last year we took a more exotic trip that was waaaay off the beaten path. So I wanted to make sure I had really good medical coverage. To insure the trip was well into the hundreds. But was able to get a 2 week policy from geoblue (as secondary insurance) for $30 (I'm in my 30s). It's crazy how little medical insurance is in comparison to comprehensive trip insurance.

x2 - Some rude comments, but that is how some people get their jollies.

To me, $1600 for a BP test and a few hours of monitoring is excessive. It really doesn't matter if emergency rooms charge the same or more. It is still excessive.

Our daughter was involved in an auto accident. We took her to the emergency room. She was put on a guerney and given a neck collar. She was in a hallway - never put in a room. Doctor checked her pupils once. Nurse said she could go home a couple hours later. No other tests and we know this because we were there the entire time. Total bill was in excess of $12,000. Why? Because we had insurance and the ER thought they could get away with it.

x2 - Some rude comments, but that is how some people get their jollies.

To me, $1600 for a BP test and a few hours of monitoring is excessive. It really doesn't matter if emergency rooms charge the same or more. It is still excessive.

"excessive" means beyond what might be reasonably expected -- not just beyond what a individual might want to pay. If emergency treatment on a ship is comparable to what such treatment might cost ashore it has to be seen as in line.

Facilities such as emergency rooms, afloat or ashore, cost a lot -- part of the cost charged to people who use them represents the fixed cost of the facility which exists - whether or not it is used. Even if no one used an emergency room, the entity which maintained and staffed it has still incurred the fixed costs of doing so.