Is the Caribbean A Must Do?

I've done many cruises in the past 10-15 (Europe, AK, CA) years but none have included the Caribbean.

So now I'm thinking about one for next year but not 100% convinced at this time.

Would you say that the Caribbean should be an notch on the ole belt?

I've done many cruises in the past 10-15 (Europe, AK, CA) years but none have included the Caribbean.

So now I'm thinking about one for next year but not 100% convinced at this time.

Certainly not a "must", but a pleasant area to spend a couple of weeks in January through March if you live in northern latitudes. Eastern and southern Catibbean islands strike me as the most attractive - and San Juan is a lovely old Spanish colonial city worth a couple of days pre- or post- cruise if you embark there .

I would say the Caribbean is a must do for you at this point. We've done several 7 & 8 nighter's Eastern Caribbeans out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami ...In addition we love the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan a couple of 7 nighter's but what works out best for us is a B2B...doing another one this next September.

The Carribean is absolutely a must. Beautiful islands, some great things to do, great weather, affordable, very accessible. There's a reason why it is such a popular destination.

The most negative thing I normally read about the Carribean is that people have gone so many times, that they are sick of it. It's definitely worth a notch. You may end up loving it!

IMO, no cruise itinerary is a "must-do" for everyone. We all have preferences and priorities. You understand what some people enjoy about the Caribbean, and those factors either strike a chord in you or they don't.

No, it isn't a must. No cruise is. It all depends on what you want from a cruise. Nothing more. After doing the Caribbean on our very first cruise, I found many other cruises much more worth doing, such as South America and the Panama Canal, Asia from Singapore to Hong Kong, the Med from Barcelona to Venice, the Baltics from Amsterdam to St Petersburg and back, the Danube River from Budapest to Amsterdam, the Nile River from Aswan to Cairo, and the Mekong River from Cambodia to Vietnam. Each was much more fascinating than that Caribbean cruise.

The Caribbean was good for relaxation. The others were good for their interesting and/or exotic ports of call. Once to the Caribbean was enough. There are so many interesting itineraries available all over the world that we won't be repeating the Caribbean anytime soon. But, we're glad we did it once.

Edited by sloopsailor

Caribbean cruises are a totally different animal....it's about the ship, the warm weather, the relaxation....not so much about history or touring....in reality, if you've seen one island, you've pretty much seen them all....with small variations. Caribbean cruises tend to be....let loose and do what you want, when you want....

If you're all about the ports, you may want to try it, but don't expect a European or Alaskan experience. If you are all about the ports, and still decide to do the Caribbean, read up on your ports, so you can get the most out of it.

Yes, if you like beautiful clear water, sail-ins and sailaways with pretty island scenery, good beaches, snorkeling.

Unfortunately the islands cruises visit also tend to be crowded and very commercialized.

I'm not a huge fan, but I do like a nice Caribbean cruise every few years just to kick back and relax.

Being from a northern clime, we do and have done for years, a winter Caribbean cruise. We don't get off the ship at some islands any more. We think for 10-14 days in 80 degree and sunshine, a cruise is CONSIDERABLY less $$$$$ than flying to and staying at some island resort.

Your question is not answerable. However, if you want my opinion, I would say that the Caribbean is a must DON'T. I have done one Caribbean cruise. Once was more than enough for me. I am not a beach person so that was out. The sights were uninteresting. On many of the islands, the natives were like vultures clustering on the areas outside of the docks trying to get someone to take their tour. One guy actually followed me as we walked away from him for several blocks. You can have the whole place.

I know that some people love the Caribbean and we have a friend who has taken a December cruise in the Caribbean every year for the past 15 - 20 years. But you did ask.

DON

Yes, go once and enjoy the beauty of the islands, and see something of the culture. I go because my husband is a water baby; I go only for the 18 sea days there and back from the UK, and stay on the ships, because the islands, heat and crowds don't appeal.

Your question is not answerable. However, if you want my opinion, I would say that the Caribbean is a must DON'T. I have done one Caribbean cruise. Once was more than enough for me. I am not a beach person so that was out. The sights were uninteresting. On many of the islands, the natives were like vultures clustering on the areas outside of the docks trying to get someone to take their tour. One guy actually followed me as we walked away from him for several blocks. You can have the whole place.

I know that some people love the Caribbean and we have a friend who has taken a December cruise in the Caribbean every year for the past 15 - 20 years. But you did ask.

DON

Sort of "plus 1" (since we do sometimes like to do a beach and/or snorkel).

However, most of the Caribbean (by cruise ship) is too boring and plagued by thundering herds due to over-tourism.

IMO, the best way to visit there is with a crewed yacht charter (e.g., a 60 ft. Catamaran for 8 friends/family) that can take you to more isolated locations.

The Caribbean has as much history and cultural offerings as any other place if one does some reading, goes to a museum or two, explore apart from the commerce-driven ship excursions, etc. The diversity of cultures, music and languages is a big plus, too.

It is also a place for good food, beautiful water, warm weather and casual clothes in the cold months. We are heading back to the Caribbean this winter, primarily for the overnights in Cuba. For the curious, adventuresome traveler, we feel the Caribbean is a must-do.

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve done many cruises but have not done the Caribbean. The Panama Canal is the closest I’ve been.

My current reasons are:

Don’t like sea days, want to see sites

Avoiding the mega ships

Not a Beach Guy

Not a drinker

Spent a lot of time there in the 1980s and don’t want to corrupt our memories

From the PMW, it’s only a couple of hundred dollars more to fly to Europe

I think I will go back to the Caribbean someday but it will probably be an all inclusive.

When it comes to vacation destinations, I only think of Yosemite as a "must do." But that's just me, and you can't cruise there anyhow.

Now you've made me second-guess Alaska!

Aah, Yosemite. Heaven on Earth.

Darn you!

I wouldn't say that the Caribbean is a must unless you want it to be for you. The Panama Canal, though, should be on everyone's list, and going there will get you to a few of the Caribbean islands.

The biggest misconception about the Caribbean is that once you’ve done one island, you’ve done them all. Absolutely NOT true, and it just shows how little people know about the region.

The Caribbean does have beautiful beaches, but there’s much more than that. There’s rich history, diverse cultures, contrasting music genres, multiple languages, old world charm with beautiful colonial architecture, museums. rainforests, mountains, caverns, ecotourism, and even volunteering opportunities. From bustling modern cities to quaint small towns, chances are that there’s something for you.

My recommendation is that you do a bit of research and select some destinations that offer what you’re looking for. The islands can be vastly different. Keep in mind that, unfortunately, the major cruise lines have spent the last year’s developing purposely built ports of call with chain stores and private beaches, which keep cruisers contained in a fake setting which doesn’t allow them to truly experience what these islands are about. This has sadly contributed to the feeling that the entire Caribbean is one big beach with a Margaritaville next to it.

My recommendation is that you select an itinerary out of San Juan which will allow you to start your vacation at one of the most fascinating and diverse destinations in the entire Caribbean. You could easily spend a week in Puerto Rico before your cruise and it still won’t be enough time to see everything that this place has to offer.

From San Juan you’ll get to experience the islands along the Lesser Antilles, many which tend to be more off the beaten path and authentic so they aren’t overrun with tourists. Also, the ships out of San Juan tend to be smaller than the ones out of Florida which means that the focus is more on the destinations than on the ship.

If you do decide to cruise to the Caribbean and wish to get a genuine feel for what the region has to offer, I would respectfully recommend that you avoid the biggest ships out of Florida going to places like Cozumel, Nassau, and the many private islands. That’s not a “must do”. But the true Caribbean is!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums