Gifts in addition to a tip for cruise workers

I'm stealing this from a very old thread (back to 2005) since it was very outdated.

One cruiser mentioned they like to give small gifts for their cabin steward, waiter, etc. (In addition to the standard tips). I thought this was a great idea so I am mentioning a few that I saw on that old thread.

One mentioned they really need/use are international calling cards to call home, but since they all have cell phones this is outdated. The updated version would be Visa/Amex gift cards.

Tide pods are great because they do their own laundry. Another old idea was mini hershey bars, kisses, suckers, etc.

Today at work someone was selling candy bars for their kid's fundraiser. So for $1 I can give one to my cabin steward, waiter, etc while supporting their kid. It's like double dipping into the nice gesture pool.

Anyone have any other ideas?

It is commonly discussed here that while very generous thoughts, money is the most helpful thing to crew. They live in very small quarters, and would prefer to purchase what they need. Plus they are frequently supporting family (you would be surprised how many are married, and have children at home they don't see for those long contracts).

Young crew members, away from home for months, have told us how thrilled they are to receive sweet things from passengers. We gave chocolate at Easter, and it was received with real joy, not at all false.

Once we found out about the long shopping lists taken by a few crew members for the many, on turn around day, and how they enlivened their fairly mundane mess food with sweets, apple pies and chocolate, we try to hand out a few small treats.

Young crew members, away from home for months, have told us how thrilled they are to receive sweet things from passengers. We gave chocolate at Easter, and it was received with real joy, not at all false.

Once we found out about the long shopping lists taken by a few crew members for the many, on turn around day, and how they enlivened their fairly mundane mess food with sweets, apple pies and chocolate, we try to hand out a few small treats.

Of course the crew members will react happily. Part of their training is to be polite to the guests. What you don't know is, most of those gifts (candy and other little trinkets given by the passengers) go right in the trash. Prior to debarkation, if you feel compelled to give a staff member something in addition to the standard gratuity, give them cash. That's the one thing they will honestly be thrilled about. In addition, you can write a letter to Carnival, giving the name of the ship you were on and the sailing date, and the name of the staff member or members that made your cruise exceptional. Those letters of praise go into the employee's file and carry a lot of weight when it comes time for promotions.

Yep. I know exactly what you mean. They get all giddy when I give them a refrigerator magnet with our hometown on it, or a rabbit foot key chain (I make them myself, four at a time!) or a framed photo of my wife and I. And my wife's home knitted ski masks are always a big hit. The wooden clogs that I make in my garage workshop are also a much appreciated gift.

They are so full of gratitude of these wonderful gifts that they are left speechless, with mouth agape in excitement. The response has been so overwhelming that I am seriously thinking of removing all tips and only giving them our homemade gifts next cruise. So many smiling faces, it beings tears of joy to my eyes.

Yep. I know exactly what you mean. They get all giddy when I give them a refrigerator magnet with our hometown on it, or a rabbit foot key chain (I make them myself, four at a time!) or a framed photo of my wife and I. And my wife's home knitted ski masks are always a big hit. The wooden clogs that I make in my garage workshop are also a much appreciated gift.

They are so full of gratitude of these wonderful gifts that they are left speechless, with mouth agape in excitement. The response has been so overwhelming that I am seriously thinking of removing all tips and only giving them our homemade gifts next cruise. So many smiling faces, it beings tears of joy to my eyes.

You almost had me.

Hmmm. Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Cash is king! This topic comes up from time to time, and cash is always the consensus.

They live in tiny cabins. Food, like candy/treats, is not for everyone - same with wine/drinks - religious reasons, dietary reasons, etc. Diabetics don't appreciate candy bars, for example.

They are trained to be polite and so obviously appear to appreciate anything but deep down cash is preferred.

I've never really been able to understand the mania some people seem to have to make chums out of everyone and to gift others with small, personal trinkets or food items.

I barely have time to buy personal gifts for my own family, let alone a cabin steward in whose company I may spend only a few minutes each day. Perhaps if I were on a long around-the-world cruise I might feel the urge -- but no, I doubt I would, even then.

My mother was a teacher whose students would gift her with small items at the end of the school year or at Christmas, most of which were promptly tossed in a spare drawer upstairs and never seen again unless given away for a jumble sale of some kind. I always think of that when I read these discussions.... :D

I'm stealing this from a very old thread (back to 2005) since it was very outdated.

One cruiser mentioned they like to give small gifts for their cabin steward, waiter, etc. (In addition to the standard tips). I thought this was a great idea so I am mentioning a few that I saw on that old thread.

One mentioned they really need/use are international calling cards to call home, but since they all have cell phones this is outdated. The updated version would be Visa/Amex gift cards.

Tide pods are great because they do their own laundry. Another old idea was mini hershey bars, kisses, suckers, etc.

Today at work someone was selling candy bars for their kid's fundraiser. So for $1 I can give one to my cabin steward, waiter, etc while supporting their kid. It's like double dipping into the nice gesture pool.

Anyone have any other ideas?

This issue repeats itself and veteran cruisers always have the same answer CASH. Nothing works better and is more appropriate or appreciated.

Of course the crew members will react happily. Part of their training is to be polite to the guests. What you don't know is, most of those gifts (candy and other little trinkets given by the passengers) go right in the trash. Prior to debarkation, if you feel compelled to give a staff member something in addition to the standard gratuity, give them cash. That's the one thing they will honestly be thrilled about. In addition, you can write a letter to Carnival, giving the name of the ship you were on and the sailing date, and the name of the staff member or members that made your cruise exceptional. Those letters of praise go into the employee's file and carry a lot of weight when it comes time for promotions.

Very well-said!

A thread like this pops up about once a month, much like a bad penny.

Crew members want and can use CASH, not candy or useless bric-a-brac! The comment about mentioning by name in a letter (or survey) can go a long way as well.

Calling cards are SO outdated. Just give those WORKERS cash....they work for money, not for "gifts", no matter how well meaning you are! If you get an oil-change, do you give a gift? Nope. When the guy bags your groceries, you tip, you don't "gift". People work for money. That's why they are on the ship...to get MONEY! It's why YOU work, too! Would you rather have a cash bonus, or a ham?

Generally agree; but there can be exceptions. We once spent 28 days with the same waiter in Blu. Over four weeks we learned much about each other's families - including that his daughter loved everything Disney. In addition to generous cash gratuities, we got him a Disney character item to take home to his daughter - that he did sincerely appreciate - since he was seeing her at one of the ports on his following cruise.

But cash is still king.

Generally agree; but there can be exceptions. We once spent 28 days with the same waiter in Blu. Over four weeks we learned much about each other's families - including that his daughter loved everything Disney. In addition to generous cash gratuities, we got him a Disney character item to take home to his daughter - that he did sincerely appreciate - since he was seeing her at one of the ports on his following cruise.

But cash is still king.

Oh, say it ain’t so....... not another thread on gifts to the crew. This must be number 235? Magnets, candy, hats, the list goes on and on. Oh, can’t forget the lady from Florida who brings on board a bag of oranges and passes them out to crew.

When will people learn that cash is the only thing a crew member needs and wants. Let’em buy their own oranges.

If you want to give something extra, make it a small edible: a candy bar or a little jar of nuts. Few people don't appreciate a special bite of something, and if it doesn't suit his or her personal tastes, it'll surely be eaten by some other staff member.

However, this should always be IN ADDITION to tips.

Why would anyone want to give any worker candies or nuts as a thank you? Money, MONey, MONEY....I wouldn't want stuff like that. I can't even imagine...the last night of the cruise and the crew are bringing the "gifts" given to them by passengers, who just felt they couldn't live without that orange or jar of peanut butter down to their quarters. They are probably having a raffle to see who wins the basket of stuff, none of them want, need or use. After years of cruising, I have spoken with and have gotten to know some crew and a lot of them are well educated, or working the ships to save money for medical school or open their own business'

No question, cash is king.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. This is not a holiday camp for the workers. They don't do this because they like the cruising public. They do it because they need the money. So instead of that $10. tshirt from your home town or some food items that they may or may not eat because of dietary of faith based reason, pony up with a good cash gratuity. Then they can buy EXACTLY what they want....or send it home.

I've never really been able to understand the mania some people seem to have to make chums out of everyone and to gift others with small, personal trinkets or food items.

I barely have time to buy personal gifts for my own family, let alone a cabin steward in whose company I may spend only a few minutes each day.

Amen! Have I told you lately that I love you :D?

The crew is there to do their job, not be your friend. I think some people are delusional about this topic. Tip with money for good service and leave the crap at home.

It would be nice if people stopped starting threads about topics that have been discussed a million bazillion times. Use the search function to pull them up and read to your heart’s content.

Bravo sloopsailor - your post was hilarious.

Edited by 6rugrats

Bring anything you can think of. It will be put to good use. It has been mentioned here by those that work on ships that one or more times a week there is a flea market/barter in one of the corridors in crew quarters. Crew members trade a haircut for some seamstress work, etc. Gifts from guests are sold or traded. Crew that have made it to WalMart will sell items they collected there. So, bring it all on. It just won't be used as you are expecting. EM

At the risk of sounding crude....thinking a crew member is “sincerely appreciative” of candy INSTEAD of cash is like thinking a stripper is really interested in the guy, not the tips.

That being said, a couple of candy bars ACCOMPANIED BY and extra $20 satisfies the sweet tooth and the bank account.

I guess my point is, if you want to give a little something extra, make sure it is just that....extra.

Sent from my iPad using Forums