Diamond Happy Hour - Is sharing OK?

Brandis

I don't like to drink alcohol and I have booked the Refreshment Package for our upcoming cruise, so I'm pretty much covered with any drinks I would want. As a Diamond Member, I get the 3 free drinks every evening during Diamon Happy Hour. Am I allowed to give those drinks away or is it the same as with the beverage packages and for personal consumption only?

I was thinking on getting 3 glasses of champagne for my friends for sailaway while I have some ginger ale or so 🙂

And to be clear, I don't talk about getting drinks from the lounge for my friends, strictly the 3 drinks which are loaded onto my ship pass every night.

Edited by Brandis

11 minutes ago, Brandis said:

I don't like to drink alcohol and I have booked the Refreshment Package for our upcoming cruise, so I'm pretty much covered with any drinks I would want. As a Diamond Member, I get the 3 free drinks every evening during Diamon Happy Hour. Am I allowed to give those drinks away or is it the same as with the beverage packages and for personal consumption only?

I was thinking on getting 3 glasses of champagne for my friends for sailaway while I have some ginger ale or so 🙂

And to be clear, I don't talk about getting drinks from the lounge for my friends, strictly the 3 drinks which are loaded onto my ship pass every night.

Of course it is not allowed, that is why they are loaded onto your card and not your friends card. Why would you stop at getting  them drinks from the Lounge.  I am sure however that it is a very common practice, one that I would probably do my self if I had friends onboard. happy cruising

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Of course it is not allowed, that is why they are loaded onto your card and not your friends card. Why would you stop at getting  them drinks from the Lounge.  I am sure however that it is a very common practice, one that I would probably do my self if I had friends onboard. happy cruising

No one blinks an eye when you order a round using the free drinks on your card

• Like 1

I always use my 3 free drinks to get my friend a glass of wine every night when we cruise together.  Just like she gets the benefit of boarding early with me because I'm D+, and gets to share the chocolate covered strawberries, and use my login if she needs to use the internet, and other perks that may come our way during the cruise.  

I've always been puzzled why RCCL slices and dices what cabin mates can share.  Hard to remember it all, so I don't!!  😁

• Like 1

Remember, in the not too distant past, where you could get a beverage package, and were on the honor system not to share?  I remember those fine days, but than, it was posted on Cruise Critic, things like this post, and the widespread sharing.  Now it was removed.  Look, the things you get for free, for being Diamond and above, are for your enjoyment, not your friends.  That is why, no guest are allowed in the Diamond Lounge.  The free drinks are for you.  So lets encourage sharing once again, and see the 3 drinks go away, and everyone, will than need to be jammed into the lounge instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Letter in cabin said drinks for anyone and lounge concierge confirmed it on Anthem.  However of the 6 drink "coupons" we had each night we only used one for DIL a night and didn't get any drinks in the lounge.  Fairly common for people to buy a round with these coupons.  If you aren't sure you can ask.

55 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Letter in cabin said drinks for anyone and lounge concierge confirmed it on Anthem.  However of the 6 drink "coupons" we had each night we only used one for DIL a night and didn't get any drinks in the lounge.  Fairly common for people to buy a round with these coupons.  If you aren't sure you can ask.

Did you save that letter?  I would love to see it.

Reading all those opinions, I have to say that I can see a difference between the drink "coupons" and the drink packages for example. 

To me it is clear that sharing is not ok with any of the unlimited packages, as sharing would be on top of anything that I consume myself. However, with the drink "coupons", there are 3 per person per evening. So I don't see a difference if I consume those drinks or anyone else. As I'm no drinker, it would be a shame to let them go to waste if I don't use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brandis said:

Reading all those opinions, I have to say that I can see a difference between the drink "coupons" and the drink packages for example. 

To me it is clear that sharing is not ok with any of the unlimited packages, as sharing would be on top of anything that I consume myself. However, with the drink "coupons", there are 3 per person per evening. So I don't see a difference if I consume those drinks or anyone else. As I'm no drinker, it would be a shame to let them go to waste if I don't use them.

Pretty sure Royal counts on some/many not getting used.  Really no difference in your two scenarios.

Sharing is caring. :classic_huh:

41 minutes ago, twangster said:

_DSC6055-2.thumb.jpg.a5c52090f1f318a18decdc161dc48817.jpg

Ambiguous.  Simple solution - ask a bartender before ordering.  If they say yes, okay.  If they say no, then there is your answer.

Whereas there are big bold letters stating that the Diamond Lounge is for Diamond members only, there is no such statement for the 3 pre-loaded drinks. Seems clear to me that they do not care what you do with those drinks.

Share away, I say!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brandis said:

sharing-is-caring-orlando-espinosa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brandis said:

I think I would need to agree. The drink package is purchased, whereas the 3 drink coupons is a free gift, given by Royal for your years of patronage.

What you do with your free gift is up to you - consume it, share it with a significant other, give it to a stranger or throw it in the trash. Hopefully you'll share.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, twangster said:

_DSC6055.thumb.JPG.6cf2a40fb5d5963ebe8e65d131dacdc6.JPG

_DSC6055-2.thumb.jpg.a5c52090f1f318a18decdc161dc48817.jpg

Ambiguous.  Simple solution - ask a bartender before ordering.  If they say yes, okay.  If they say no, then there is your answer.

Thank you for sharing this.  I'm of the opinion it shows what Merion Mom was saying:  the vouchered drinks have no restrictions on them, except they cannot be used in specialty restaurants.  I was thinking as I read this thread that people were misinterpreting the DL restrictions with the vouchered drinks.

The letter we received on the EN in August specifically said no sharing of the drink coupons.  It was the first time I had seen that mentioned.  It was on the back side of one of the letters

Edited by molly361

14 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

For all you people that think it's ok to share the coupons remember that when you see some chair hogs, smokers, or people in the main dining room in shorts, muscle shirts and flip flops. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

So, all rules are equal? I guess this also applies to anyone who thinks it’s okay to go one mile over the speed limit?

Copied from the Royal Caribbean site, I believe this rule extends to the free drinks.

The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event is a benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. The event will take place approximately between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Three nightly drink vouchers will be loaded on the member's SeaPass card to be used in venues throughout the ship.

Interesting.  On my Grandeur cruise a couple of months ago, I got a drink from the bar outside the dining room (before dinner) and I asked if I could get my dad (he was with me) a diet coke too.  They said no problem so I did that a couple of nights.  In hindsight, I wondered if it was allowed and if they were just being nice (my dad is 89 years old in a wheelchair). 

I thought to myself what if I had I had asked if I could give my friend an alcoholic beverage and I remember thinking don't push it.  So subconsciously I had a feeling it wasn't allowed to share drinks (I usually have a drink package and I never offer or share it with others), but I figured I would ask since it really was the first time we used the diamond happy hour 3 drink coupons.

Edited by slyster