Diamond plus no longer getting to skip the line when boarding?

We are diamond plus and just off the October 28th Oasis cruise. When we arrived to board at about 12:45 pm, we went to the left of the line where we have always been ushered through with the pinnacles and suite guests.  We showed them our set sail pass showing our d+ status, and were told to go to the end of the regular line.  We did just that and snaked through the line for about an hour before we made it through security. We confirmed with several other d+ members who were also told this benefit has been taken away.  With 542 points it felt like a slap in the face to have to go back to waiting in the long lines after enjoying this benefit for many years.  I'm really hoping that this is not fleetwide. I do understand that royal is leaning towards rewarding their "star" class passengers and pinnacles, but there were only 240 d+ members out of 6000 passengers. I think it wouldn't hurt to let us keep the benefit of a shorter line for loyal members. When we got to check in, there was a line for diamond plus, but at that point there were no long lines for anyone. Has anyone else experienced this change?  We know it is fairly new.  

We’ve never arrived that late so have no idea if status matters once boarding has started. I was always under the impression the priority boarding only applies if you check in before boarding starts. Once boarding starts, it’s end of the line.

I was on the Allure Oct 21st sailing and in a suite.  I arrived at the port after boarding began around 11:30 am and was told to go to the back of the regular line.  I made it a slightly big deal because suites get priority and 11:30 was the time on my expedited sea pass.  The guy i was speaking eventually let me go through.  In hindsight, it probably didn't matter much. 

Edited by crusinthrough

We've been given priority for years both at port canaveral and fort lauderdale. Also from European ports. Miami not so much but Miami is always a zoo. If in fact they have changed this policy,  i guess we will just change our arrival time to really early or fairly late.  It's just been so nice over the last several years being able to arrive at any time and bypass the line.  And when i say that, we always were ushered by royal caribbean workers, we didn't just barge through the line. 

On 10/25/2018 at 6:36 AM, nelblu said:

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

When I've boarded last few yrs only time they gave Diamond+, Diamond, and on down preferential boarding was only when first boarding. Diamond plus for yrs and became Diamond 20+ years ago

20 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

We’ve never arrived that late so have no idea if status matters once boarding has started. I was always under the impression the priority boarding only applies if you check in before boarding starts. Once boarding starts, it’s end of the line.

I think the OP is talking about getting priority access through the security line and not boarding.

I think it is an industry-wide trend to focus on transactions rather than relationships.  With the increase in “class” distinctions, lines are offerring more benefits to those who pay higher fares. One of the most obvious (low cost to the line)  benefits is priority boarding - and for that priority to have any real meaning, it has to be limited in number:  if more than a select few have priority, there is no real advantage to having it.

Accordingly, the lines are more interested in setting aside special treatment for those currently paying for it.  Their view is: “Sure, you’ve sailed with us a lot, but what have you done for us lately?” 

• Like 2

Yep. Was on the Enchantment 10/26. D+ has been with suites and Pinnacles. I asked the concierge about it and she asked and got an email from the port authority. She said it wasn’t Royal. 

Going this weekend. I’m going to go late like 1:30 or super early. Not in my usual JS. 

Won’t matter soon. When I turn Pinnacle on Enchantment 11/30, I’m in a JS. 

5 hours ago, Retired LEO said:

Last week at Port Canaveral all of the signs at the security lines were gone except for the Pinnacle/Suite line on the right. Everyone else went through the other line.

Bummer!!

Does anyone know if the parking garage right at the terminal ever gets full?  Might have to drive down later rather than around 11- 12

8 hours ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Yep. Was on the Enchantment 10/26. D+ has been with suites and Pinnacles. I asked the concierge about it and she asked and got an email from the port authority. She said it wasn’t Royal. 

Going this weekend. I’m going to go late like 1:30 or super early. Not in my usual JS. 

Won’t matter soon. When I turn Pinnacle on Enchantment 11/30, I’m in a JS. 

Congratulations! 

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Bummer!!

Does anyone know if the parking garage right at the terminal ever gets full?  Might have to drive down later rather than around 11- 12

We've never seen it full, and we sail out of there 5-6 times a year.

15 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I was on the Allure Oct 21st sailing and in a suite.  I arrived at the port after boarding began around 11:30 am and was told to go to the back of the regular line.  I made it a slightly big deal because suites get priority and 11:30 was the time on my expedited sea pass.  The guy i was speaking eventually let me go through.  In hindsight, it probably didn't matter much. 

Oh, that was Lowell!  We entered about an hour earlier than you.  Our expedited set sail passes did not have SUITE written anywhere on them.  Lowell looked at our passes (there were 4 of us in 2 suites) and somewhat sneered at us.  He pointed to the general line and told us to go there since we were in the wrong place.  We've been going in that door with Lowell for years.  We said we were in a suite, actually in b2b suites.  I pointed to the extra luggage tags we had affixed to our carry on bags that clearly said SUITE.  He did not back down and insisted if we were in a suite, our sea pass would have suite clearly written in a specific spot on the paper.  I said there must have been a problem with RCI's IT print software that omitted the word suite.  He started to argue while telling me he wasn't arguing with us.  I told him he was the one arguing.  He eventually let us in like he was breaking all rules for allowing us to enter a non-general line.  

He really had me fired up.🤬  I reported him twice after getting inside.        Funny he hadn't learned anything from the time we entered until you entered later.     RCI needs to fix their expedited sea pass suite issue.

37 minutes ago, CruiseKeeper said:

Oh, that was Lowell!  We entered about an hour earlier than you.  Our expedited set sail passes did not have SUITE written anywhere on them.  Lowell looked at our passes (there were 4 of us in 2 suites) and somewhat sneered at us.  He pointed to the general line and told us to go there since we were in the wrong place.  We've been going in that door with Lowell for years.  We said we were in a suite, actually in b2b suites.  I pointed to the extra luggage tags we had affixed to our carry on bags that clearly said SUITE.  He did not back down and insisted if we were in a suite, our sea pass would have suite clearly written in a specific spot on the paper.  I said there must have been a problem with RCI's IT print software that omitted the word suite.  He started to argue while telling me he wasn't arguing with us.  I told him he was the one arguing.  He eventually let us in like he was breaking all rules for allowing us to enter a non-general line.  

He really had me fired up.🤬  I reported him twice after getting inside.        Funny he hadn't learned anything from the time we entered until you entered later.     RCI needs to fix their expedited sea pass suite issue.

I was told the same thing as cruisingthrough. At least he was consistent.  Our setsail didn't have suite on it either.  But it did say d+ and I told him that I wanted to use the suite or diamond boarding since d was boarding from the right side of terminal already and had a substantially non existent line.  He said nope and waited in the long line to ship.

For some reason this time our setsail pass did not have suite on it but did list cabin number. Didn't even bother with trying to explain to him that the only cabins on deck 17 are suites.  Just tried the logic that diamonds are boarding and we can board there instead of this long line. Was denied and told stand in the back of the line.  Royal should be educating the port personnel better.  Did mention this to the suite concierge and on the survey.

But we had a great cruise and met many old friends and made some new friends this time.

We take a local shuttle to the port, usually getting to the terminal just after 11 am.  By the time we walk in, there is almost no line.  Sometimes the regular line into security is even shorter (when there is one).  I guess I don't pay attention to which one I get into.  By the time we check in at the counter, all levels of C&A have already been called and we simply walk directly on.  Boarding Oasis at PC is one of the quickest and easiest we enjoy.  

We were on the same cruise Oct 28th and are Diamond  Plus but were in a Jr and we boarded at 1055 am with first group Suites and Pinacles right after back to backers. Right after us as we walked into  boarding platform they called Diamond +. My understanding now only applies to initial boarding at start.