Millennium Revolution -

Jim_Iain

To Jim_Iain and all those who shared pix, deck plans and diagrams over the past months.  It’s been a lot of fun and I appreciate all you have shared. Looking forward to sailing  on the Revolutionized Equinox in the Fall as well as Silhouette and Summit next year.  Katie

• Like 2

Just now, Oville said:

To Jim_Iain and all those who shared pix, deck plans and diagrams over the past months.  It’s been a lot of fun and I appreciate all you have shared. Looking forward to sailing  on the Revolutionized Equinox in the Fall as well as Silhouette and Summit next year.  Katie

Hope you have a wonderful set of cruises.    This has really been a fun thread and love all the excitement of all of those posting.    I don't even have a booking Millie but she is my favorite ship.

I've loved watching her and all of the changes over the years -

Remember when they had a hole in ceiling from the Rendezvous  where you could watch from the Champagne/Martini bar.   That goes back.  

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Remember when they had a hole in ceiling from the Rendezvous  where you could watch from the Champagne/Martini bar.   That goes back.  

Never saw that but the Rendezvous in recent years turned into a dark, unappealing venue for us.  Looking forward to seeing the new version on Summit. Not sure I’m loving the new Sunset.  We always enjoy breakfast and lunch back there.  Katie

Edited by Oville

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Millennium a westbound transatlantic in October of 2003. Still my favorite ship. I kind of miss the hole in the Rendezvous.

Edited by sasset
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

So true.  With no cover, it means less for X to maintain.  Is this just another cost cutting measure?

Curious, how did you conclude this?  It makes the aft bar unusable at times and it is more exposed to the weather, more mopping up and drying tables and chairs.  Katie

9 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I guess, l disagree.  I think those people have every right to use that public space to enjoy themselves.  I don’t think drinking coffee at a table is more important than playing cards.  That’s why they invented to-go cups.

People eating or having a  coffee  do not sit there ALL day monopolizing  the prime space...Happens  on all the ships, even those with card rooms!  There are spaces on most of the ships but perhaps thise areas are not as appealing ????

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

People eating or having a  coffee  do not sit there ALL day monopolizing  the prime space...Happens  on all the ships, even those with card rooms!  There are spaces on most of the ships but perhaps thise areas are not as appealing ????

Let me first say that I am first generation Chinese-American with my mom is from Mainland China and dad from Hong Kong. Now that is out of the way I must say cruises departing Vancouver, especially transpacific ones, draw lots and lots of Chinese-Canadians (Richmond, Canada is Called Little Hong Kong) and Chinese-Americans. What I find most annoying is all the Chinese monopolizing all the tables in the solarium to play Mah Jong. Whatsmore the game is noisy and is quite a distraction.

5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I know it's just my OCD - but does it bother anyone besides me that the base of the 1970's Globe Lamp is not square on the outlet box???????

Overall I think the new decor is clean and fresh, if a little bland.  Seems like there may be more storage in the inside cabin than before?

LOL -   I think a little twist will straighten it right up.    Reminds me of my last cruise.   The lampshade in the CS is rectangular and almost every day it would be off center from the housekeeper cleaning.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Curious, how did you conclude this?  It makes the aft bar unusable at times and it is more exposed to the weather, more mopping up and drying tables and chairs.  Katie

Unuseable at times... which would drive guests inside the ship.  

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

There is no change to the Deck 7 FV balcony. The deck plans have always shown the Deck 7 corner FVs as being shorter than the ones on Deck 8 or 9. Ironically the Deck 7 balconies are actually longer by about 3 ft!

Shh!  If they showed the actual situation on the deck plans everybody would want one, and then Celebrity would raise the price.  Loose lips sink ships [or at least make them more expensive :classic_laugh:]

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the photos and information. I'm coming from a potential first time 'X' cruiser standpoint and I have a choice between a couple of cruises next April - one on the Revolutionised Equinox and the other on the un-Revolutionised Reflection. The Reflection's itinerary is more appealing but I don't like the look of the Persian Gardens so much and we do like to make use of thermal areas (especially on a longer cruise). Although if I hadn't read about this Edge/Revolution programme I probably would have just booked Reflection and thought no more about it.

I'm using this thread to get a flavour of what Equinox may look like post-Revolution (I know, Millie is a different class of ship but still) to see if that will swing the deal...... Think I'm still on the fence (I do like the new design but I'm trying to decide if it's enough of a 'push' factor to get me away from the preferred itinerary/not refurbished ship).

Edited by Captain-John

8 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks everyone for all the photos and information. I'm coming from a potential first time 'X' cruiser standpoint and I have a choice between a couple of cruises next April - one on the Revolutionised Equinox and the other on the un-Revolutionised Silhouette. The Silhouette's itinerary is more appealing but I don't like the look of the Persian Gardens so much and we do like to make use of thermal areas (especially on a longer cruise). Although if I hadn't read about this Edge/Revolution programme I probably would have just booked Silhouette and thought no more about it.

I'm using this thread to get a flavour of what Equinox may look like post-Revolution (I know, Millie is a different class of ship but still) to see if that will swing the deal...... Think I'm still on the fence (I do like the new design but I'm trying to decide if it's enough of a 'push' factor to get me away from the preferred itinerary/not refurbished ship).

It’s what is more important to you. All I can say is that Silhouette is our favourite S class ship. Not as crowded as Reflection as it has a deck less of cabins and she has the LCG which we like. We don’t sail in suites, so most of the renovations, except for the cabins, won’t affect us too much. If anything, we’d still have the Solstice deck of sunloungers on Silhouette whereas this will be restricted for suite guests only post the Revolution.

IMHO, I think it’s personal choice and what matters more to you - itineraries are usually high on our agenda.

15 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks everyone for all the photos and information. I'm coming from a potential first time 'X' cruiser standpoint and I have a choice between a couple of cruises next April - one on the Revolutionised Equinox and the other on the un-Revolutionised Silhouette. The Silhouette's itinerary is more appealing but I don't like the look of the Persian Gardens so much and we do like to make use of thermal areas (especially on a longer cruise). Although if I hadn't read about this Edge/Revolution programme I probably would have just booked Silhouette and thought no more about it.

If you are looking at April 2020, bother the Equinox and the Silhouette will be Revolutionized.  The Silhouette will be completed by January 31, 2020

Thanks for the reply - you were too quick off the mark - I just checked and actually the cruises are between Equinox and Reflection (post edited) - Silhouette hasn't come into it!

Point taken about Reflection being busier. I have two MSC Yacht Club cruises this year, but pricing is a bit much for next year so was looking to branch out to other cruise lines - however if Reflection is a more crowded ship might notice it a bit more having come from YC.

Choices, choices.

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you are looking at April 2020, bother the Equinox and the Silhouette will be Revolutionized.  The Silhouette will be completed by January 31, 2020

Yes, my bad - I meant Reflection not Silhouette - both you and villauk were quick off the mark and replied before I could edit the post. You can tell I'm new to Celebrity!

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks for the reply - you were too quick off the mark - I just checked and actually the cruises are between Equinox and Reflection (post edited) - Silhouette hasn't come into it!

Point taken about Reflection being busier. I have two MSC Yacht Club cruises this year, but pricing is a bit much for next year so was looking to branch out to other cruise lines - however if Reflection is a more crowded ship might notice it a bit more having come from YC.

Choices, choices.

No Celebrity is as crowded as any MSC ship. YC or not... so you don‘t have to worry there. Plus, you would only notice a difference if you had experienced another S class ship before. Otherwise you wouldn’t notice. 

We are about to book another cruise on Reflection - pre dry dock. Not worried at all. She is still in fine shape.

I am curious: what don’t you like about the Persian Garden on Reflection?

If you had made that statement about Persian Garden of a pre Revolution Millennium class ship I would understand. It is small and kind of dark without any windows. But on Reflection... light, panoramic views, airy...

Are you sure you are not mistaking the two?

Here‘s more on Reflection: 

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Ships/Celebrity-Reflection/celebrity-reflection.html

Edited by Miaminice

26 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

I am curious: what don’t you like about the Persian Garden on Reflection?

If you had made that statement about Persian Garden of a pre Revolution Millennium class ship I would understand. It is small and kind of dark without any windows. But on Reflection... light, panoramic views, airy...

Are you sure you are not mistaking the two?

Here‘s more on Reflection: 

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Ships/Celebrity-Reflection/celebrity-reflection.html

Thanks Miaminice. I am talking about the S-class thermal areas - there's no pool or jacuzzi within the complex as far as I am aware.

I've been spoiled by the NCL -away class ships and their Mandara Spa - with the hydrotherapy pool located beside the steam rooms, sauna, heated loungers etc:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/photos/ships/norwegian-breakaway-642/mandara-spa-215906/mandara-spa--v10857314/

Likewise sailing on MSC Meraviglia in May:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/photos/ships/msc-meraviglia-996/aurea-spa-411582/

Compared to PG not quite in the same league I don't think. Although I'm also sailing MSC Preziosa later this year and it has a very basic thermal area - so it isn't a total dealbreaker. I just figure with 3 or 4 sea days I like to while away the hours in the spa.

Most 'public' hot tubs are always crowded - no matter the line - whereas I tend to find those located within the spas are quieter.

If Equinox is getting a revamped thermal area it would definitely be a factor in my decision (although not the ultimate deciding factor).

Is the Solarium adults-only area busy on the S-class ships? I've seen a few videos and reviews where it isn't, but not sure if those people just visited at quiet times.

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks Miaminice. I am talking about the S-class thermal areas - there's no pool or jacuzzi within the complex as far as I am aware.

I've been spoiled by the NCL -away class ships and their Mandara Spa - with the hydrotherapy pool located beside the steam rooms, sauna, heated loungers etc:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/photos/ships/norwegian-breakaway-642/mandara-spa-215906/mandara-spa--v10857314/

Likewise sailing on MSC Meraviglia in May:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/photos/ships/msc-meraviglia-996/aurea-spa-411582/

Compared to PG not quite in the same league I don't think. Although I'm also sailing MSC Preziosa later this year and it has a very basic thermal area - so it isn't a total dealbreaker. I just figure with 3 or 4 sea days I like to while away the hours in the spa.

Most 'public' hot tubs are always crowded - no matter the line - whereas I tend to find those located within the spas are quieter.

If Equinox is getting a revamped thermal area it would definitely be a factor in my decision (although not the ultimate deciding factor).

Is the Solarium adults-only area busy on the S-class ships? I've seen a few videos and reviews where it isn't, but not sure if those people just visited at quiet times.

None of Celebrity's spa comes close to NCL'S offerings on their new builds (actually NCL'S older Jewel class ships probably have larger facilities then Celebrity) and that's why I was disappointed with the spa on the Edge. As you pointed out two essential things a spa whether on land or sea needs to have are relaxation areas within the Thermal suite and a hot tub/whirlpool which are not present in any Celebrity spas. I'll take a relaxation area over a salt inhalation room any day ( of course NCL spas have both!). 

With regard to the solarium on S-class ships they do indeed get very crowded and generally hard to get a lounger especially on sea days. I enjoy meals at the Spa Cafe inside the solarium and there's also never enough seating during meal times. Edit: yes, the solarium is adults only. 

Edited by kwokpot

3 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks everyone for all the photos and information. I'm coming from a potential first time 'X' cruiser standpoint and I have a choice between a couple of cruises next April - one on the Revolutionised Equinox and the other on the un-Revolutionised Reflection. The Reflection's itinerary is more appealing but I don't like the look of the Persian Gardens so much and we do like to make use of thermal areas (especially on a longer cruise). Although if I hadn't read about this Edge/Revolution programme I probably would have just booked Reflection and thought no more about it.

M class PG are interior with a rounded heated  bench seat

S Class  have sea views and heated loungers

Reflection PG/thermal suite area is larger but on a diff level from the Solarium..

We prefer EQ over REF...but not sure how the changes will affect number of pax etc.

Spa cafe on EDGE has gone much more natural  to nuts and berries and very dense cakes..was no longer appealing to us other than for tea.

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Spa cafe on EDGE has gone much more natural  to nuts and berries and very dense cakes..was no longer appealing to us other than for tea.

I've been disappointed with the changes over the years with the menu at the Spa Cafe. I was most happy when you were able to order simply grilled chicken or salmon for lunch. That was done away with several years ago. 

For breakfast they have been messing around with their oatmeal offerings. First it was plain oatmeal, then the apple cider. The problem with the apple cider oatmeal was it was inconsistently prepared; many times it was so tart that it is inedible. 

When I was on the Edge I never made it to the Spa Cafe. The offerings at Eden Cafe were my new go-tos and replacement for the Spa Cafe. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1