Miserable Cruise: We seriously thought about bailing out of the cruise- would you?

librarygal

Our last cruise on the Carnival Horizon was not so great.  Terrible food- rough seas- loud neighbors- seasickness, uncomfortable bed, etc.

Bty the 3rd night my we thought seriously about attempting to get off the ship early.  We thought, "why not just get off the ship in Mexico, check into a hotel and rest and recover and then fly back from the Cancun Airport?"  It seemed so much easier than waiting until we got to Miami and having to put up with the unpleasant cruise for another two days and then deal with the 2-hour wait and hassle of getting off the ship.

We Googled the topic online and it appeared that convincing the management of the cruise ship to let us and our bags early in Cozumel Mexico would be challenging and expensive.   So we stayed on the ship and were miserable and sick for the rest of the cruise.

Should we have pushed it and attempted an early departure from the miserable cruise?  Anyone here done it?

Wouldn't go on Carnival cruise and certainly not for 5 nights! 

Nothing any cruise line can do about rough seas & sea sickness.

As to loud neighbours - after the second night I would have been on to Guest Services to register an complaint.

• Haha 1

Honestly, it sounds to me as though you would have had a bad time no matter what you did. Did you contact Guest Services to complain about the noise?  If not, that's on you.  If you only called once, that's on you.  You really have to be your own advocate.  You paid for your vacation, too.  Why let others ruin it for you.

Rough seas and seasickness are well beyond the ship's control.  When you take a cruise, you take the chance that the weather will impact your fun.

I would not have left the cruise, I would have taken care of the issues while on board.

Looking at your other posting here, it seems that LACK OF SLEEP was your biggest issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

AND taking a short booze cruise on Carnival and expecting anything other than what you got

I've taken 2 5-day cruises on Carnival and wouldn't term them "booze cruises."  I will say that they were not in a time of the year where there would be a great deal of youngins (LOL), not out of Miami, and not over a weekend.

Edited by Schoifmom

People regularly leave cruises early, no harm in exploring your options with guest services. I do not think you would receive a refund and there might even be some added expenses for special customs or immigration procedures.

Friends of ours left a ten day cruise after one night, because the wife was so seasick she did not want to spend another minute onboard. I would consider leaving a cruise, if I had plumbing or air conditioning issues.

The OP does not say if this was their first cruise.  Short cruises on Carnival tend to party cruises which often means some late evening noise.  As to the rough seas, that is just the nature of being on a ship as they will move if the sea moves.  But you were on what is called a "closed loop" cruise which means the itinerary starts and ends at the same port and visits only islands countries part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.  The US authorities expect the ship to return with the same passengers that were aboard when it departed.  Under certain circumstances you may have been permitted to leave the ship in Mexico, but that assumes your party all had valid Passports and Carnival agreed to your request.  

It is unfortunate that you had such a lousy experience.  Even Carnival tends to get a high percentage of repeat passengers which means that many are satisfied with the cruise.  

Hank

2 hours ago, librarygal said:

We Googled the topic online and it appeared that convincing the management of the cruise ship to let us and our bags early in Cozumel Mexico would be challenging and expensive.   So we stayed on the ship and were miserable and sick for the rest of the cruise.

Should we have pushed it and attempted an early departure from the miserable cruise?  Anyone here done it?

It's not challenging. Passengers and crew frequently leave early.  Tell guest services you want off and they will accommodate your request providing you had passports. There are circumstances such as closed-loop cruise where an additional charge might apply but that doesn't sound to be the case with your cruise.  You also would not receive a refund for the unused portion of the cruise.      

Edited by K32682

I do not usually reply to these type of postings, but a quick review of this poster’s history of threads...these same two questions were asked by them in 2012...noise, and bailing from cruise because of it.   Pattern here?   Possibly cruising is not the best way to spend your vacation.   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

I do not usually reply to these type of postings, but a quick review of this poster’s history of threads...these same two questions were asked by them in 2012...noise, and bailing from cruise because of it.   Pattern here?   Possibly cruising is not the best way to spend your vacation.   

I must have missed that when I looked at her previous posts.  I think that I stopped with RCCL "forcing" her to tip waiters she never saw 🙂  BTW, when she posted that in 2012, she said it was her SIXTH cruise :classic_ohmy:

Looking over those threads, it seems that she got the same answers there as she has here.  Perhaps she should have learned from the first go around ...

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Looking over those threads, it seems that she got the same answers there as she has here.  Perhaps she should have learned from the first go around ...

Most replies didn't answer question, so maybe she had to post twice to get an answer. My thanks to the two posters who actually did answer the question. I learned something from them.

Burt

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

Most replies didn't answer question, so maybe she had to post twice to get an answer. My thanks to the two posters who actually did answer the question. I learned something from them.

Burt

I was referring to the thread from 2012.

I would have talked to guest services about the noisy neighbors - especially if it continued for more than one night. On some cruise lines, if you don't like your food, your waiter will bring you something else. We've had to do that before.

I don't think I would have left the cruise. I paid for my vacation and would want to enjoy it. But this is truly a choice for each individual person to make. 

Oh, boy...I guess we'll see thread #3 soon as well, since this one is going much the way of the first one!  I basically agree with most of the responses so far, so I won't add any additional comments of my own other than to say if I were the OP, I think I would be looking for a different vacation other than cruising - at least to give a different landscape to complain about! :classic_ohmy:

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This is a quote from one of the OP's 2012 posts about the kitchens.  The bold facing is mine.

"They had 100s of immigrant workers doing "prep cook" assignments"

DON

There are hundreds of workers in the kitchen who are from foreign countries doing prep and cooking duties.  Can we all agree to that?

19 minutes ago, librarygal said:

There are hundreds of workers in the kitchen who are from foreign countries doing prep and cooking duties.  Can we all agree to that?

The majority of the crew is from a foreign country, so what's the point? As for the original post, no, I wouldn't have bailed on the cruise- I would have asked the steward for a mattress topper, talked to guest services about the neighbors and if the food were truly terrible (something that I have not experienced) I would have still found something that I could tolerate.

1 hour ago, librarygal said:

And on the rest of the ship.  Including the bridge crew and probably the Captain.

SO?

And BTW, they are NOT immigrants.  Immigrants move to a new country to live there.  Cruise ship workers work on the ship, and then go back to their home country.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Oh, boy...I guess we'll see thread #3 soon as well, since this one is going much the way of the first one!  I basically agree with most of the responses so far, so I won't add any additional comments of my own other than to say if I were the OP, I think I would be looking for a different vacation other than cruising - at least to give a different landscape to complain about! :classic_ohmy:

Thread #3 is out, complaining about the buffet food because she didn't want to have to wait to be served :classic_wacko: