Is it okay to wear my wedding ring

kbg12379

What’s everyone’s opinion/experience about wearing your wedding ring set into Progreso and Cozumel?  I don’t want to cruise without it but I don’t know if I should be concerned about wearing it into port and I’m REALLY uneasy about leaving it in my room (even in the safe). It isn’t a flashy, enormous set but it is very nice and occasionally noticed and complemented on by others. 

We have been to so many ports in the Caribbean and west coast of Mexico that I don't want to count. Some were sorta iffy, but we went for the experience.

Karen has never removed her wedding ring. The only time she did was just before a major operation in a hospital.

You will do OK. Those ports you mentioned are popular places, they are geared to tourists. Would you remove your ring in NOLA during festivities?

Jim

58 minutes ago, kbg12379 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion/experience about wearing your wedding ring set into Progreso and Cozumel?  I don’t want to cruise without it but I don’t know if I should be concerned about wearing it into port and I’m REALLY uneasy about leaving it in my room (even in the safe). It isn’t a flashy, enormous set but it is very nice and occasionally noticed and complemented on by others. 

What problems would you expect if you left it in the safe?

DON

• Like 1

I don't normally wear my wedding set in ports. On cruises I leave it in the safe during port times.  I'd never wear it swimming, for sure.  On land tours I wear it in certain areas and don't in others.  If going to a somewhat more risky place, I bring a plain gold band instead of the set--or wear nothing.

My set is very nice, though not outrageous, and I just don't want to leave myself open to theft.  

12 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

We have been to so many ports in the Caribbean and west coast of Mexico that I don't want to count. Some were sorta iffy, but we went for the experience.

Karen has never removed her wedding ring. The only time she did was just before a major operation in a hospital.

You will do OK. Those ports you mentioned are popular places, they are geared to tourists. Would you remove your ring in NOLA during festivities?

Jim

And that is why they are a lot of criminals in those areas.

Although, I agree that wedding band is not a huge risk, but I would remove rings with stones.

I would be more concerned with stones getting knocked loose than it being stolen. If you think about it how often do you hear of a robbery in a cruise port where someones rings are taken off their hand?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I would be more concerned with stones getting knocked loose than it being stolen. If you think about it how often do you hear of a robbery in a cruise port where someones rings are taken off their hand?

Nassau a few years ago.   A 23 person Segway tour was robbed and gunpoint.  Cash, cards, jewlry.

I always wear three rings; my Wedding Ban, and two Diamond Rings with multi Diamonds, my wife wears her Wedding Ban always but the Wedding Ring only when we are together if traveling. We have never had any issues and we live in SE Asia, and travel to many third World countries. You just need to be smart.  As for the cabin safe no issue leaving your ring in the safe. Your room has many cameras on the door and hall way no one can enter your room without knowledge and the crew would risk stealing a high value item. 

If you are in any public area of a cruise ship you are on a security camera, with the exception of the rest / comfort rooms and inside passenger cabins. The hall way leading to your cabin has cameras every cabin door can be seen on a camera.  So what guest or crew do in public area can be seen if the security staff want to look for it. 

I put it in my safe when going to port and always take a photo of the contents before closing it before leaving. Same thing with land vacations. 

Also, on a personal note... consider an insurance rider on your homeowners insurance (or renters insurance) for your ring. 🙂

I don't think its a major concern you should have at the cruise ports, but there's a silicone wedding band you can purchase which is great for travel their called Qalo bands. I was looking into them as an alternative when I was having fluctuations in my ring size.

• 1 month later...

I don't remove my ring except for when it was required for surgeries.    We both wear ours in ports all over the world, but they're simple gold bands without flashy stones.    There is no reason to worry about the safe in your cabin, EXCEPT the risk of small items settling out of sight on the bottom and you forgetting to retrieve them.    We always put any jewelry or small items in a bright red little velvet bag or a box.      

Enjoy wearing your good jewelry ON THE SHIP ... But best to leave it in your cabin safe when going off the ship at ports of call.

Think about it:  There are lots of ports where the jewelry you are wearing is worth more (even on the black market) than what many there make in a year.  

I'm sure you noticed that many people said they've "never had a problem."  Well, others have had problems and for that reason, DW leaves her wedding band at home.  She only wears costume jewelry on cruises.