If You Could Take Your WOOF, Would You?

Ukigirl

Peeing dog thread got me thinking about about a specialty cruise, Furballs at Sea with your well....furball. Let’s make this sweet and simple, would you pay to take your dog on a 4 day cruise? Thinking it would have to be same price as a human including gratuities, just think of the crew and what they would have to endure. We all think our dog is the greatest, bestest woof but let’s be realistic, they 💩, they pee, they shed, they howl (hmmm, reminds me of when my kids were little).  I think RCL would make a killing because humans are willing to spend millions on their pets.  Simple rules, dogs allowed by pool, in pool , Windjammer, walking track.  Want to go to a specialty restaurant? Pay for a puppy sitter.  We took our dog to Bark At The Park, Detroit Tigers date where you can bring dogs to a game, I believe it’s done in other ballparks, fun but never again. We love our dog but she’s not our baby, and never ever would we want to spend a time  with her on a cruise, we go to get away. Yes I know liability is a big deal and of course no port stops.  This isn’t an April fools thread!

No, I wouldn't. We love our dog but I don't think she would love a cruise ship. We do take her on dog friendly vacations like camping trips and she loves that. And she tolerates it when we have to move but she doesn't love hotels or changing houses or flying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I hate leaving them at home I would not take my dogs on a cruise.  Mine are giant breed, shedding, drooling puppies.  I can't imagine having the crew having to clean up after them.  They are therapy dogs and very well behaved but they don't belong on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a cruise ship had a dog park or a place for your dog to get lots of exercise (and to do their business) and a doggy daycare program where they watch your dog for you when you are in port or if you want to go out to dinner/a show, then I might consider it. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't. I love my beagle, Remington, but she can be a pain in the butt. She's been to many training classes yet she still loves to cause trouble. She goes to doggy daycare on Saturdays just so I can get a break from her (I work from home so we are always together). She loves playing with the other dogs and it helps her burn off some energy. When I go on vacation, I'm happy to get away from her for a week but then I end up missing her terribly and cry over pictures of her on my phone, LOL! Luckily, after a horrible experience with a kennel, I found a dog sitter who loves her and takes great care of her while I'm gone. She even lets Remy sleep in bed with her. I'd be willing to try a cruise with my dog if the ship & cruise itinerary was specifically designed for dogs (i.e. dog parks, doggy daycare/dog sitting, dog swimming pool, water stations, areas for peeing/pooping, dog beach at the port, dog related excursions, etc) but I think I'd be much happier leaving her with the sitter.

No!! I love my dogs too much to bring them on a cruise ship!  I hate being away from my baby boy, but he is better off at home, in familiar surroundings, with someone here to keep his daily routine. 

Luckily I have the next best thing.. Security cameras throughout, that I can connect to anytime I want to see him. That and being able to communicate with the one staying at my home to take care of him, is the only reason I have internet access on every single cruise.

We joked about taking the cat...except for the presence of the litterbox, noone would know he was there.  He was shy of strangers and would spend all of the time under the bed...or under the duvet.  But sadly, we said goodbye to him last month.  EM

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We joked about taking the cat...except for the presence of the litterbox, noone would know he was there.  He was shy of strangers and would spend all of the time under the bed...or under the duvet.  But sadly, we said goodbye to him last month.  EM

No one except the stateroom attendant, who would likely have to deal with the litter box.....

I realize you say you joked about it and sorry for your loss - we have cats as well.  But there is no way they (or any animal that is not formally designated as a service animal) belong on a cruise ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

Uh, no way.  We have a chihuahua who seems to think it is his duty in life to protect us from all dangerous (meaning everyone alive) strangers with every ounce of his 6 pound body.  He'd probably die of barking exhaustion.

I can just imagine how much fun his piercing bark would be for everyone!  Not to mention the growling and fake attacks.  We are also safe from all squirrels, rabbits, cows, robins and probably cougars, if we had any here.

Contrarily he loves all cats and other dogs.

There is a time and place for everything - and some things do not belong in some places.  Pets on cruise ships are unlikely to have good times, staff on cruise ships are unlikely to enjoy the extra obligations, and passengers on cruise ships will not universally appreciate other passengers’ pets.

Ignoring these considerations is best described as selfishness.

• Like 2

nope.  he's too much work with his daily  demand for a 5 mile walk and instance on peeing on every bush on the way.  I go on a cruise to relax and lie on a lounger  in the shade.  

I call him my ESA: Emotional Stress Animal

No. The average cruise ship has approximately 3,000 passengers. If only half that many were to bring their dogs, that would be 1500 dogs. I don't know how many dogs an animal shelter has at any given time. Maybe roughly  50? Have you ever been to an animal shelter and heard most or all of the dogs barking? Now, multiply that cacophony by 100. What are the odds that you would be able to get a good night's sleep and not hear 1,000 - 1500 dogs barking for several hours?  Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. We have two of our own. In our home, at night, they're pretty quiet, unless there's some noise that alerts them. Sometimes, all it takes is for the neighbor's dog to bark and then our two feel obligated to join in. That would not be my idea of a relaxing enjoyable cruise. For our sanity, as well as that of our fellow cruisers, it's best to leave the dogs at home under the care of a sitter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say no.  Interestingly enough, dogs are a very big part of my life.  I can't imagine not having my furbabies.  At the same time, I would not take them on a cruise ship.  Trust me, I have planned vacations just with them in mind (camping, cabins, etc), but a cruise ship is not the right environment for dog.  That's just me though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, critterchick said:

No. I wouldn't subject them, the crew or me to them. One is almost 17 and prone to motion sickness. The other is a big hairy beast who doesn't respond well to stress.

Precisely my sentiments! Although I adore my furry kids, I would not expect that everyone else would have similar sentiments. Also, my pets would not appreciate the stress involved.