The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

1 hour ago, Sandy1975 said:

I never do reviews but I felt compelled to do one for Edge because I want others to know that Edge is working and appealing to some people. I would agree that current prices are outrageous and got on the way of booking a new cruise. However,  it is not just pricing for Edge class but also for S class and lack of interesting Caribbean ports. So now that I am Elite, I did a status match on MSC and I am Gold (used to match to Black till mid of last year) and I am considering a balcony with Yatch class level. Itineraries are about the same as X but the excitement comes from trying the Yatch Club experience, which is running about $1K to $2K lower than X suite class.

I would have to look, but thanks to DCL we might still be able to status match to Black on MSC. 

The interesting thing we found when we booked the Apex oceanview with the 2 perks, was what the Equinox was for a southern Carib at the same time was going for. The inside to inside saw the Apex quite a bit more expensive. The oceanview on the Equinox however jumped a lot more in price compared to the inside room, where as the Apex saw a price difference such that if we had 2 adult beverages and a soda a day we were paying the same as what we would for an inside. Apparently the oceanview rooms on the Equinox southern Carib cruises are popular and of course the price reflects that. It made it a no brainer for us to book the Apex even though the cost per night was a bit higher, the value was there for us. 

Edited by cgolf1

Does anyone know about the future home ports for the next 4 Edge class ships?

I'm one of those who isn't a fan of the Infinite Verandas......  that is until I started thinking about  a Norwegian fjords cruise in 2021.  I think the IVs would actually be a real plus on this type of cold weather itinerary.  I don't suspect Celebrity has said much about where these future ships will sail, but I thought I'd ask in case someone heard something that I missed.

edge.jpg

Edge pricing is certainly softening. The Celebrity UK website shows how much inventory is available on every sailing. And if you take a look at sailings leaving soon, I think you'll be surprised at how many empty cabins the ship has.

IV cabins aside, one of the biggest disappointments for me with Edge is the incredibly boring itineraries on offer. Two seven day trips which really are not the most exciting ports you can visit in the Caribbean and that's it! Does anyone remember the "Big ship amenities, small ship destinations" that their marketing department peddled shortly after announcing the new ship? 

I'm not sure if this is a mistake on the TA's part. But at present several Apex sailings are showing perks bundled with inside cabins which is something I've never seen previously. Is it a mistake? Or are they struggling to sell inside cabins on Apex right now?

edge-2.jpg

Apex.jpg

28 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I'm not sure if this is a mistake on the TA's part. But at present several Apex sailings are showing perks bundled with inside cabins which is something I've never seen previously. Is it a mistake? Or are they struggling to sell inside cabins on Apex right now?

edge-2.jpg

Apex.jpg

No, what they are probably doing (I haven’t checked numbers) is quoting the new ‘Sail Away’ pricing structure and saying it’s free when the actual price is just the current costing now as insides can have the 2 perks added. As I’ve stated previously, now the baseline will be higher on the cruise only non-refundable rates (Sail) and then people will take the 2 perk option (Sail Away), even for the insides, as it appears you are getting a better deal: the gap between base rate and 2 perk rate will be lower than paying for the 2 perks separately. In other words, a price increase without you realising it and, in theory, being forced to take the 2 perks option if you want a refundable deposit. 

52 minutes ago, Mynki said:

edge.jpg

Edge pricing is certainly softening. The Celebrity UK website shows how much inventory is available on every sailing. And if you take a look at sailings leaving soon, I think you'll be surprised at how many empty cabins the ship has.

IV cabins aside, one of the biggest disappointments for me with Edge is the incredibly boring itineraries on offer. Two seven day trips which really are not the most exciting ports you can visit in the Caribbean and that's it! Does anyone remember the "Big ship amenities, small ship destinations" that their marketing department peddled shortly after announcing the new ship? 

I’ve already posted an example on another thread of all the available cabins in just one IV category for a sailing at the beginning of June, and others keep quoting about the high demand?

19B3041F-D185-44BE-8A22-6D11258EB750.jpeg

7EEE4221-2693-42F1-926E-B0C85BD8F05B.jpeg

2 hours ago, villauk said:

I’ve already posted an example on another thread of all the available cabins in just one IV category for a sailing at the beginning of June, and others keep quoting about the high demand?

19B3041F-D185-44BE-8A22-6D11258EB750.jpeg

7EEE4221-2693-42F1-926E-B0C85BD8F05B.jpeg

The good news: current people sailing Edge aren't going to know the full potential for congestion in the Martini Bar, and the effort required to break even on their drink packages.  These problems are just sorting themselves out.

• Like 1

We select  the Classic  drink package for convenience rather than to break even..We enjoy tea and coffee at Cafe Baccio in addition to a few drinks each  per day.  (Beer, wine, soda, after dinner drink.) Only disappointnent is the metal processed water that replaced Spring water...Hope they re think that.!

We think the Grand Plaza area is nice for music if the acoustics can be improved..too loud a din to hear music or converse...Wish the Martini Bar was in a sep space as we do not utilize it ...no choice on EDGE if you sit in or around the Plaza.. But not everyone on board are Martini Bar patrons.

Edited by hcat

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

We select  the Classic  drink package for convenience rather than to break even..We enjoy tea and coffee at Cafe Baccio in addition to a few drinks each  per day.  (Beer, wine, soda, after dinner drink.) Only disappointnent is the metal processed water that replaced Spring water...Hope they re think that.!

If it is a perk, you only need to break even with the OBC, or tips, whichever you didn't choose included.  We're very light drinkers, so I value it about $12 per day.  Still, some people are going to buy the drink package on a reposition cruise, or after final payment, or get talked into once onboard.  Reports of 30-45 minute waits for each drink, from the earlier sailings closer to capacity, sounds like a job.

As far as the metal processed water, I believe you're going to have to find a female owned Spring Water company to replace it with.

"We have digital signage for some of our shops, and one of the digital signs that rotates through is called 'Women with an Edge,' and it's all the women that are part of our retail experience," says Lutoff-Perlo. "We've partnered with a lot of women who, historically, have not been part of our brand because we believe that they are the future, they are very modern luxury, they are brands that are up-and-coming."

17 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If it is a perk, you only need to break even with the OBC, or tips, whichever you didn't choose included.  We're very light drinkers, so I value it about $12 per day.  Still, some people are going to buy the drink package on a reposition cruise, or after final payment, or get talked into once onboard.  Reports of 30-45 minute waits for each drink, from the earlier sailings closer to capacity, sounds like a job.

As far as the metal processed water, I believe you're going to have to find a female owned Spring Water company to replace it with.

"We have digital signage for some of our shops, and one of the digital signs that rotates through is called 'Women with an Edge,' and it's all the women that are part of our retail experience," says Lutoff-Perlo. "We've partnered with a lot of women who, historically, have not been part of our brand because we believe that they are the future, they are very modern luxury, they are brands that are up-and-coming."

Yes, we take  Classic bev as one of two perks usually. The teas and special coffees plus a few beers for dh make it worth it  financially and it very convenient to have to marked on our cards.

We never waited that long for drinks anywhere on EDGE in January. Sev good places for prompt service, indoors and outside,  That central Martini Bar area is a snarl at times.,

Yeah...We now bring my Fiji Spring Water ( 4 pack) on board with us and buy more in ports.  The metal  bottled stuff is quite  bad tasting....Good water should not be a gender or faux eco issue...but one of health and taste.   Ships water  bloats us...Eventually they'll change to spring water in real cans or cardboard milk carton style...

Edited by hcat

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Leave them to it. Keeping quiet and leaving others to do their own thing can be a good thing sometimes. 

I've also noticed a couple of S class ships in the Caribbean have quite a few suites available including PH and RS on upcoming sailings next month. But prices have barely decreased. 

I'm wondering if the tired 7 night itineraries are a factor here? The 14 night Exotic Southern Caribbean sailings had suites that were sold out with months to go in recent years. or is it pricing, too many berths in general or a combination of some or all of them? 

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The good news: current people sailing Edge aren't going to know the full potential for congestion in the Martini Bar, and the effort required to break even on their drink packages.  These problems are just sorting themselves out.

I am just wondering how this number of empty staterooms on just two decks will affect the staff who depend on tips for most of their earnings?

I am no bean counter but if the above number of vacancies on decks 7 and 8 stays the same the stateroom stewards and wait staff could suffer a loss of at least $14,000. in standard tips, not counting the extra amount most people add, for a 7 day cruise.

Just a thought when considering the number of empty cabins???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I am just wondering how this number of empty staterooms on just two decks will affect the staff who depend on tips for most of their earnings?

I am no bean counter but if the above number of vacancies on decks 7 and 8 stays the same the stateroom stewards and wait staff could suffer a loss of at least $14,000. in standard tips, not counting the extra amount most people add, for a 7 day cruise.

Just a thought when considering the number of empty cabins???

They will likely drop the price substantially post final payment day - and then perhaps get most of them booked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They will likely drop the price substantially post final payment day - and then perhaps get most of them booked.

This could easily be yet another negative against Celebrity. 

Although dropping prices to fill a ship AFTER the final payment date is not that uncommon, making it a practice on the scale of what the above vacancies chart shows would be seen as a rip off for those who booked early.  

For 20 years we have always booked a year or longer in advance in order to get the stateroom and category we want. Over the time before the cruise we check to see if there is a reduction and take advantage of it. If there is none and the prices remain the same or go up we are happy with our choice in either case..  

If we see a mass price reduction on a large number of cabins post final payment date it might just make us think about our choices in the future.  Getting a meal at a restaurant with reservations and then seeing the same meal for a walk in at half the price would leave me with a bad taste EVEN if I got what I originally bargained for.  

It may be just me, but it doesn't seem to be a good business practice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

This could easily be yet another negative against Celebrity. 

Although dropping prices to fill a ship AFTER the final payment date is not that uncommon, making it a practice on the scale of what the above vacancies chart shows would be seen as a rip off for those who booked early.  

For 20 years we have always booked a year or longer in advance in order to get the stateroom and category we want. Over the time before the cruise we check to see if there is a reduction and take advantage of it. If there is none and the prices remain the same or go up we are happy with our choice in either case..  

If we see a mass price reduction on a large number of cabins post final payment date it might just make us think about our choices in the future.  Getting a meal at a restaurant with reservations and then seeing the same meal for a walk in at half the price would leave me with a bad taste EVEN if I got what I originally bargained for.  

It may be just me, but it doesn't seem to be a good business practice.

Agreed. DH and booked a cruise almost 2 years out in order to get a hump balcony that we love. Later, because of a lot of crazy circumstances X discounted our Aqua class cabin $1100. After final payment, there was a drastic price reduction allowing our friends to join us for $100 less per person than our discounted fare. That did leave quite a sour taste. We have a cruise booked for next year to celebrate a milestone anniversary, but have decided that after that cruise we'll book X cruises after final payment and take a chance on not having our beloved hump balconies or booking with another vacation option.

• Like 1

If that is the way of the future for Celebrity as far as pricing goes, i believe that, more than the IV's, will turn people off Celebrity. I fully realize that after final payment all cruise lines lower their prices, and I accept that, but to do a mass reduction at ridiculous discounts isn't fair to those who booked early, looking to get the cabin they want, and get what used to be the best prices.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

If that is the way of the future for Celebrity as far as pricing goes, i believe that, more than the IV's, will turn people off Celebrity. I fully realize that after final payment all cruise lines lower their prices, and I accept that, but to do a mass reduction at ridiculous discounts isn't fair to those who booked early, looking to get the cabin they want, and get what used to be the best prices.

That cruise I referred to above was booked at a very fair price originally through a TA, then further discounted by X, and was reduced after final payment so much that our $1100 price reduction (which was VERY generous)  was still $100 pp more than the after final payment price reduction.  Our cruise for next year went up $1400 with  2 less perks and $700 less OBC within 2 months of our booking. I am watching to see what happens after final payment  of that cruise. It all leaves a very sour taste to anyone looking at a particular cruise fare over a period of time. We have loved our X cruises over the years, and in fact have never had a bad one, but the new pricing games have given us reason to look elsewhere. We may find a new favorite, who knows. I know all travel options have rate changes over time, and sales to boost bookings, not just cruises, but the ones I've observed on X over the last few years seem to have extreme fluctuations unequal to the general market.

• Like 1

I know this isn't exactly Edge-related but I booked next week's Reflection TA as a solo right after final payment for $2413 (C3), no perks (sadly, had to cancel).  Next year's SAME cruise, C3, no perks, non refundable, is $5062.  That's a whopping 105% increase without any changes to the ship or itinerary.  I expected some increase, but more than double?  I'm losing my enthusiasm here.    

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Yeah...We now bring my Fiji Spring Water ( 4 pack) on board with us and buy more in ports.  The metal  bottled stuff is quite  bad tasting....Good water should not be a gender or faux eco issue...but one of health and taste.   Ships water  bloats us...Eventually they'll change to spring water in real cans or cardboard milk carton style...

hcat, a bit off topic, but I must take issue with your water comments. Fiji water, just because it is positioned as one of the most expensive waters on store shelves, doesn't make it better. Because it is spring water CERTAINLY doesn't make it better. I owned a water purification company for 20 years, starting in the early 70s and saw the level of impurities steadily increase in Arrowhead spring water, as demand increased and they had to draw from more lower quality springs. Yet people continued to think that because it came from a spring, it was pure. NOT TRUE! The water in the Celebrity containers is very high quality and produced by a process to make the taste and quality very consistent. What is "bad" to you? Does seeing it in an aluminum container trick your brain into tasting metallic? I could taste no such off taste, and I have a very sensitive palate when it comes to water. Does "thick" taste better to you? "Thick" is my description of water with higher TDS (total dissolved solids) or impurities. Celebrity water in containers has a low TDS. I understand taste is subjective, but please don't suggest Celebrity lower their standard to simply offering spring water in containers!

34 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

That cruise I referred to above was booked at a very fair price originally through a TA, then further discounted by X, and was reduced after final payment so much that our $1100 price reduction (which was VERY generous)  was still $100 pp more than the after final payment price reduction.  Our cruise for next year went up $1400 with  2 less perks and $700 less OBC within 2 months of our booking. I am watching to see what happens after final payment  of that cruise. It all leaves a very sour taste to anyone looking at a particular cruise fare over a period of time. We have loved our X cruises over the years, and in fact have never had a bad one, but the new pricing games have given us reason to look elsewhere. We may find a new favorite, who knows. I know all travel options have rate changes over time, and sales to boost bookings, not just cruises, but the ones I've observed on X over the last few years seem to have extreme fluctuations unequal to the general market.

I imagine living in Florida where most of Celebrity's cruises originate will be a plus and with the large pool of retirees in Florida  to draw on, they will fill up at the last minute with no problems. 

Heavily discounted cruise prices will be a bonus to retired folks who have no work or time off schedules, they are close to the port and can avoid last minute high air fares making their last minute vacations much easier to take advantage of.

Regarding the water comments, while I think the ship's bottled water tastes fine, I agree that it bloats us. I've heard (haven't seen any actual numbers) that the ship's water has a higher sodium content than many other brands of bottled water. Thus it combined with the higher salt content of cruise cuisine, can lead to bloating and water retention.

44 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I imagine living in Florida where most of Celebrity's cruises originate will be a plus and with the large pool of retirees in Florida  to draw on, they will fill up at the last minute with no problems. 

Heavily discounted cruise prices will be a bonus to retired folks who have no work or time off schedules, they are close to the port and can avoid last minute high air fares making their last minute vacations much easier to take advantage of.

We live in PA, but have taken to driving to FL with some sightseeing stops along the way, thus eliminating the need to pay those high last minute airfares. We're also lucky enough to be retired and not need to schedule time off.given those circumstances I think booking with X after final payment will be our mode going forward and we'll forego those lovely oversized hump balconies if current pricing trends continue. As far as Edge goes,  it's currently priced at a level that is comparably priced to more upscale choices, and the IVs aren't appealing to us. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Regarding the water comments, while I think the ship's bottled water tastes fine, I agree that it bloats us. I've heard (haven't seen any actual numbers) that the ship's water has a higher sodium content than many other brands of bottled water. Thus it combined with the higher salt content of cruise cuisine, can lead to bloating and water retention.

Please , don't start false rumors! The ship's water (especially the Celebrity water in the containers) DOES NOT have a higher sodium content! COMPLETELY FALSE! The food may have a higher sodium content, but not the water. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

hcat, a bit off topic, but I must take issue with your water comments. Fiji water, just because it is positioned as one of the most expensive waters on store shelves, doesn't make it better. Because it is spring water CERTAINLY doesn't make it better. I owned a water purification company for 20 years, starting in the early 70s and saw the level of impurities steadily increase in Arrowhead spring water, as demand increased and they had to draw from more lower quality springs. Yet people continued to think that because it came from a spring, it was pure. NOT TRUE! The water in the Celebrity containers is very high quality and produced by a process to make the taste and quality very consistent. What is "bad" to you? Does seeing it in an aluminum container trick your brain into tasting metallic? I could taste no such off taste, and I have a very sensitive palate when it comes to water. Does "thick" taste better to you? "Thick" is my description of water with higher TDS (total dissolved solids) or impurities. Celebrity water in containers has a low TDS. I understand taste is subjective, but please don't suggest Celebrity lower their standard to simply offering spring water in containers!

Sorry but it was not a metallic taste per se...just not a good  refreshing taste!  ..dh agreed. We are not married to Fiji..but the 4 pack transports nicely due to the btl shape.. Publix or Zephyrhills would be fine too...We used to like the bue water btls we received daily in AQ class before that was taken away..old news!

The label  of the Metal btl water that was posted also showed that the Celeb water has salts...and other add ins. So no improvement really over what they serve in the mdr.

Not looking to argue with an expert but the water is a NO Thank You... for us.  

20 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Nobody is saying mass reduction at ridiculous discounts.  But post final payment discounts are quite the norm in the industry so ships will sail near capacity with people spending money on board.  Almost all cruisers know this. Not a surprise for Edge. A lot of cruise customers take the chance and wait for the discounts in the last 90 days.  It is an effective and well known strategy.  It works if you are not too picky about your stateroom category and location.  But if you want something very specific you will need to book early and pay more.  Also to those already booked, they can upgrade at a discounted price as long as it is even a bit more than what they paid (but need to compare perks).  So why would this common industry practice "turn people off" specifically to Celebrity and Edge??