The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

The IV must be roomier than we thought to fit 2 people and a polar bear at the rail! 😉

Funny Marilyn😀.  The IV area is bigger than we remembered.  As before we have bed by bath and if we want we wanted to we could move the back legs of the chairs onto the carpet.  Also came up with a way to have breakfast out there.  The polar bear, maybe not so much.😉

Just saw a show in the GP w/Linda Capewell.  She played guitar and sang, our fav so far.  Katie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Funny Marilyn😀.  The IV area is bigger than we remembered.  As before we have bed by bath and if we want we wanted to we could move the back legs of the chairs onto the carpet.  Also came up with a way to have breakfast out there.  The polar bear, maybe not so much.😉

Just saw a show in the GP w/Linda Capewell.  She played guitar and sang, our fav so far.  Katie

Be sure to get some pictures of your room service, if you think of it. We liked Linda as well. Enjoy!!

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

I think the only reason the bifold doors are there is to create the faux balcony feel...without them the cabin would reveal what it truly is....an oceanview cabin with a window that opens. It is correct they don't seal as you can cleary see is the picture. I also agree with you that with both the window and shade mechanical...how well are these going to operate long term....the shade already was an issue if you didn't have all the furniture clear of its path. 

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.040c7cacf1c59df3d0e3e753020245da.jpg

Having been in many outside or oceanview cabins, I'm going to have to disagree with labeling the IVs as just another oceanview cabin.  You can NEVER (at least on the cruise ships I've been on... not talking river ships or whatever) open an outside cabin window.  Also, all of the balcony cabins I've ever been in have had an open above part and a glass below part on the balcony... just like these.  About the only real difference here is that you can't have open balcony partitions (we've never wanted these even with friends/family adjacent, but ymmv) and you can't see people adjacent- an idea I love.  Privacy!  

The idea that it's to create the "illusion" of a balcony space is silly, too, if in fact that was the intention.  It doesn't make sense from the "infinite" veranda concept!  In fact, the folding doors make it a very "finite" veranda and switch us back to the old concept of a balcony and cabin partition again.  I think I may be right here... I think the original concept was probably that these folding doors would be air tight and would probably control the AC/heat in the cabin so that if someone did want to go "out" they could sit there and someone in the cabin could have AC on.  I'm betting that a decision made later for whatever reason (cost effectiveness?) changed it to what we see now.  It's VERY common for designers to make assumptions on costs and concepts that can't be realized in the real world construction.  This is true on everything you buy.  (always look on that crock pot box that says, "artwork may be different from actual product")  Btw- getting back to the Youtube videos showing you how to use the IV were often unintentionally funny... "first open the folding doors.  next slide the chairs back..."  Seriously, someone missed the original point on those folding doors during construction, imo.

Whether customers love or hate the IV cabins, the fact is inescapable that the folding doors are absolutely a stupid idea for an infinite veranda.  Infinite Veranda means your cabin is one giant veranda.  That's how it's being marketed and that's what they delivered.  I know MANY of you want to see the IV go away on future Edge class ships... btw, not gonna happen... but what Celebrity should really do is one of two things:  a) remove the ponderous and useless folding doors or b) put light blocking curtains on them.  (Certainly for Edge and probably Apex, the smart thing would be ugly gray light blocking drapes on the folding doors... I HATE gray but at least it would match the modern blah "color" scheme so oversold by "designers" everywhere! LOL)  Maybe for Celebrity Beyond (oh for Heaven's sake... what a dopey name) they can rig the folding doors with light blocking curtains and AC control  as in "as long as the folding doors -or- the veranda "window" is closed, the AC/Heat stays on."  (Also, Celebrity would save a ton of money, and future headaches, if they put light blocking curtains on the folding doors... it would make the electronic shade unnecessary.)

As I said, I'm definitely leaving the folding doors OPEN during our Edge cruise in 2020.  (I hope our cabin steward isn't trained to helpfully close them every few hours!  LOL)  

15 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

Good point.  For me, the privacy of the balcony outweighs the other negatives.  Nosy balcony neighbors are a big pet peeve of mine so being able to enjoy my balcony in privacy sounds wonderful!  I'm just hoping the windows are not locked by the captain often.

On this Captain closing the window of IVs for what I'm sure are very necessary reasons and not to annoy passengers to no end :classic_rolleyes:, I do have a question about this.  Is there some sort of warning chime or announcement made before this happens?  I can certainly envision leaning on the "rail" created (yes, I KNOW there's not a rail there) by the lower glass and the lowered glass and possibly getting injured (lawsuit time) if the glass were to start sliding up unannounced (even if it does so in a slow as molasses speed)!  Maybe it doesn't close if it senses that there's weight on it? 

9 hours ago, Oville said:

We’ve been on the Edge since Sunday and have used our IV extensively and have yet to hear a word from either side.  You can hear the window being raised and lowered but not a single conversation.

Last night the ship was rocking (in the good sense) till sometime after 11:00.  The band did a great job of getting people on the dance floor in the Grand Plaza.  We left to watch the end of the b-ball game.  Tonight the white party is poolside at 10:15.

Neither of us has encountered the sewage odor yet.  Perhaps they’ve solved the problem.

I don't think random sewage odors are unique to Edge... in fact, I think I've noticed it walking down some hallways on any ship from any line.  Quite often, it's gone later.  I think it's just one of those things about a self-contained city floating around.  Of course, those unfortunates years ago (I thankfully was not amongst them) stuck on the Carnival Triumph where it was reported that sewage was running down the walls... that's a different story.  (I can't imagine ever considering that ship... even as a free cruise!  I'd never be able to believe it was clean enough!)

Cruising Forever - Light-blocking blinds INSIDE the folding doors could be even better (between the double pains of glass - we have them in our bedroom at home. They are dust proof and they can't be damaged and are opeed and closed manually.) Or make the glass darken like on the new 787 jets and some new hotels. THAT, along with making the doors airtight so the AC could stay on and making the veranda a foot deeper would make the concept so much more appealing to guests.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, Static events said:

I am 28 and it appears that they are trying to make the Edge like a W hotel whilst still appealing to the Ritz Calton guest, this is very hard to achieve. The argument is would a Millennial sail on Celebrity rather than RCCL?  

I am a Millennial and I would happily sail on both but I feel Celebrity gives a more polished experience however on the flip side RCCL is generally more of a fun experience and has a much younger average age. 

Yep, this is the situation.  Celebrity should have done more market research before investing in this approach.  If Celebrity really wants to attract younger passengers they will need to make it a more fun experience.  Hopefully this will mean more than just changing the questions on the Trivia Games.

6 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Having been in many outside or oceanview cabins, I'm going to have to disagree with labeling the IVs as just another oceanview cabin.  You can NEVER (at least on the cruise ships I've been on... not talking river ships or whatever) open an outside cabin window.  Also, all of the balcony cabins I've ever been in have had an open above part and a glass below part on the balcony... just like these.  About the only real difference here is that you can't have open balcony partitions (we've never wanted these even with friends/family adjacent, but ymmv) and you can't see people adjacent- an idea I love.  Privacy!  

The idea that it's to create the "illusion" of a balcony space is silly, too, if in fact that was the intention.  It doesn't make sense from the "infinite" veranda concept!  In fact, the folding doors make it a very "finite" veranda and switch us back to the old concept of a balcony and cabin partition again.  I think I may be right here... I think the original concept was probably that these folding doors would be air tight and would probably control the AC/heat in the cabin so that if someone did want to go "out" they could sit there and someone in the cabin could have AC on.  I'm betting that a decision made later for whatever reason (cost effectiveness?) changed it to what we see now.  It's VERY common for designers to make assumptions on costs and concepts that can't be realized in the real world construction.  This is true on everything you buy.  (always look on that crock pot box that says, "artwork may be different from actual product")  Btw- getting back to the Youtube videos showing you how to use the IV were often unintentionally funny... "first open the folding doors.  next slide the chairs back..."  Seriously, someone missed the original point on those folding doors during construction, imo.

Whether customers love or hate the IV cabins, the fact is inescapable that the folding doors are absolutely a stupid idea for an infinite veranda.  Infinite Veranda means your cabin is one giant veranda.  That's how it's being marketed and that's what they delivered.  I know MANY of you want to see the IV go away on future Edge class ships... btw, not gonna happen... but what Celebrity should really do is one of two things:  a) remove the ponderous and useless folding doors or b) put light blocking curtains on them.  (Certainly for Edge and probably Apex, the smart thing would be ugly gray light blocking drapes on the folding doors... I HATE gray but at least it would match the modern blah "color" scheme so oversold by "designers" everywhere! LOL)  Maybe for Celebrity Beyond (oh for Heaven's sake... what a dopey name) they can rig the folding doors with light blocking curtains and AC control  as in "as long as the folding doors -or- the veranda "window" is closed, the AC/Heat stays on."  (Also, Celebrity would save a ton of money, and future headaches, if they put light blocking curtains on the folding doors... it would make the electronic shade unnecessary.)

As I said, I'm definitely leaving the folding doors OPEN during our Edge cruise in 2020.  (I hope our cabin steward isn't trained to helpfully close them every few hours!  LOL)  

You are disagreeing with me saying that I see the IV as an oceanview cabin with a window that opens....because you say you have never been in an oceanview cabin that has a window that opens.  Well I wasn't saying that most oceanview cabins have windows that actually open.....BUT this is exactly what I see the  IV as....an oceanview cabin with ceiling to floor glass with a portion of glass that opens. A new concept for an oceanview....YES. Do you call a sliding glass door that opens in a hotel room that you can't walk out on as saying it has a balcony or "veranda".  I have been in hotels that have this....a sliding glass door with a rail even with the exterior of the wall....allows you to open the door but there is no space to walk out on. As a matter of fact the Westin Beach resort in Fort Lauderdale has this design on all their rooms and they don't advertise the room as having a balcony or "veranda" 

image.thumb.png.0256547b5e680e860b1235b8f0e1d0c6.png

This is the Westin's description to this room... "Imagine awakening each morning to full views of the magnificent Atlantic Ocean right outside your window. Slide open the elegant, ceiling-height glass doors and take in the sea views while you sip your morning coffee."

Lets see how Celebrity describes the IV..."Stateroom: 202 sq. ft. and Veranda: 42 sq. ft."

It's clear that Celebrity is advertising the IV as having a separate "veranda" space.  Why...marketing to sell the cabin as a balcony cabin. . If they left off the bifold doors then there wouldn't be a "veranda" (balcony) space. I think Celebrity would have had a much more difficult time marking the IV as a "veranda" (balcony) cabin if they didn't have that bifold door.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bajathree said:

You are disagreeing with me saying that I see the IV as an oceanview cabin with a window that opens....because you say you have never been in an oceanview cabin that has a window that opens.  Well I wasn't saying that most oceanview cabins have windows that actually open.....BUT this is exactly what I see the  IV as....an oceanview cabin with ceiling to floor glass with a portion of glass that opens. A new concept for an oceanview....YES. Do you call a sliding glass door that opens in a hotel room that you can't walk out on as saying it has a balcony or "veranda".  I have been in hotels that have this....a sliding glass door with a rail even with the exterior of the wall....allows you to open the door but there is no space to walk out on. As a matter of fact the Westin Beach resort in Fort Lauderdale has this design on all their rooms and they don't advertise the room as having a balcony or "veranda" 

image.thumb.png.0256547b5e680e860b1235b8f0e1d0c6.png

This is the Westin's description to this room... "Imagine awakening each morning to full views of the magnificent Atlantic Ocean right outside your window. Slide open the elegant, ceiling-height glass doors and take in the sea views while you sip your morning coffee."

Lets see how Celebrity describes the IV..."Stateroom: 202 sq. ft. and Veranda: 42 sq. ft."

It's clear that Celebrity is advertising the IV as having a separate "veranda" space.  Why...marketing to sell the cabin as a balcony cabin. . If they left off the bifold doors then there wouldn't be a "veranda" (balcony) space. I think Celebrity would have had a much more difficult time marking the IV as a "veranda" (balcony) cabin if they didn't have that bifold door.

I think you're correct about the bi-fold doors.  I never thought of it, but they couldn't call it a balcony without the doors.  I was hoping the bi-fold doors would disappear, they are just in the way most of the time,  but I guess they are hear to stay.

6 hours ago, twodjs said:

Cruising Forever - Light-blocking blinds INSIDE the folding doors could be even better (between the double pains of glass - we have them in our bedroom at home. They are dust proof and they can't be damaged and are opeed and closed manually.) Or make the glass darken like on the new 787 jets and some new hotels. THAT, along with making the doors airtight so the AC could stay on and making the veranda a foot deeper would make the concept so much more appealing to guests.

Oh if only you'd been consulted by the design team! Those great ideas would make a world of positive difference.

• Like 2

Balcony/ Veranda issues aside....

That is a nice modern looking hotel room... clean decor, neutral  happy colors, real furniture that looks quite functional.  Contrast the dour and no frills  X staterooms by Hoppen,..

Too bad X did not use the Westin design team!!!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, boscobeans said:

If  you are sitting next to your open IV window and the same person was in the next stateroom with their window open and was holding a conversation just a foot or so from your open window, how would that be any different than if you were on normal verandas? 

You are correct- you still get the noise if your window is open- or sweat if the window is closed- Having experienced the infinite balcony for a few hours, then changed to a sky suite- I say save your money- it is a rip off and book an outside cabin or for a "real balcony" consider an aft balcony cabin.  If however the price of the infinite balcony is the same as a window suite, then consider it. 

On 4/9/2019 at 3:32 PM, Silkroad said:

Thanks Katie! I knew you’d boarded, and hoped you’d chime in here😊  Have you found your IV window locked often? I’m thrilled to hear that X is providing good live music. I hope they’ll still be there on the 28th. Thanks for reminding me about packing something for the white party. If you’re in Eden for the evening show, could you note whether they’re still using the scented fog (or whatever it is)? I hope you’re having a wonderful time! Have a frosty cocktail for me😜 Cheers! Michelle 

Hi Michelle, just wanted to let you know our window has yet to be locked (Day 4) and no sewage smell. Also the White Night Party was hopping until midnight last night and was quite crowded.  I’ll try to check out Eden tonight for the scented fog.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Oville said:

Hi Michelle, just wanted to let you know our window has yet to be locked (Day 4) and no sewage smell. Also the White Night Party was hopping until midnight last night and was quite crowded.  I’ll try to check out Eden tonight for the scented fog.

Oh my...this is certainly wonderful  news, Katie, for the 6 of us on the TA...keep it coming!  Michelle will be so happy!

57 minutes ago, Oville said:

Thanks Katie! DH & I will be thrilled if we only find our window locked during window washing😁. No worries if you don’t make it to Eden. I only asked because we’re dining there one night, and I’m hoping they won’t have scented fog that sends me into sneezing fits (allergies). 

I would have to assume that one of reasons they can override the window and close them is due to rain. Since this isn't a traditional veranda (balcony) and is essentially part of the cabin...there is no drainage. 

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I would have to assume that one of reasons they can override the window and close them is due to rain. Since this isn't a traditional veranda (balcony) and is essentially part of the cabin...there is no drainage. 

One would assume.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:53 PM, Fairsky84 said:

I’m wondering what others think about the future of the Edge-class. Clearly, Celebrity took a lot of risks with this new class of ships, and not all of thier innovations have been well received. … Edge may represent the first time a new class from RCI/Celebrity has missed the mark. Going all the way back to Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas, company has been known for real design innovations that change the industry. I’ll always appreciate their vision and risk-taking. But Edge feels like a swing and miss to me.

I have heard that unless Celebrity can find a way to solve some of these major issues with the Edge and make the ship more acceptable to their younger target market, they maybe forced to sell them to Pullmantur, another cruise line under the Royal umbrella, to upgrade their fleet.  Pullmantur serves a different market than Celebrity and perhaps their clientele may be more accepting of the problems with the Edge class.  The Pullmantur fleet has been getting a lot older and would benefit from some new blood.

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I have heard that unless Celebrity can find a way to solve some of these major issues with the Edge and make the ship more acceptable to their younger target market, they maybe forced to sell them to Pullmantur, another cruise line under the Royal umbrella, to upgrade their fleet.  Pullmantur serves a different market than Celebrity and perhaps their clientele may be more accepting of the problems with the Edge class.  The Pullmantur fleet has been getting a lot older and would benefit from some new blood.

Where did you hear this?

Geez...you're talking like the ship is a disaster. Have you cruised on Edge? We did and had a great time. They have tweaked a lot. And even the issues with the IV cabins are fixable. Let's not put the nails in the coffin just yet!

• Like 2