The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

13 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Geez...you're talking like the ship is a disaster. Have you cruised on Edge? We did and had a great time. They have tweaked a lot. And even the issues with the IV cabins are fixable. Let's not put the nails in the coffin just yet!

Yep.  I'm not sure the IV problems are fixable.  Overall just not my cup of tea and based on all of the current sales for a new ship, I don't think I'm alone.

Several of us have suggested simple solutions to issues with the IVs. The king size bed, I believe is really a big part of the problem. Downsizing to a queen (S class) would give additional room and allow the Veranda to be bigger. Gosh, then they could have real chairs with foot rests! What a concept! The folding doors are not structural, but merely decorative and could be relocated with an air-tight version to allow the AC to maintain a comfortable temp with the window open. And just put the blackout curtain on the cabin side of the folding doors, now that there is room. All fixable issues. The real reason why they are not sailing full is the price. Also fixable and certainly not a reason to sell off the ship! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

The crew of which ship?

Michelle, sometimes it’s just better to ignore the nonsense.😉

We checked out Eden after a late dinner in Blu and we could not detect any odor or scent.  Marilyn may know the answer to this but I thought the offending smell was coming from the bar area and there is no device I could see spewing incense.

Great entertainment tonight including the numerous musical acts at various venues, tomorrow I’ll give you the list. We liked the show A Hot Summer’s Dream, Jeff wasn’t wild about the fantasy part but liked the athleticism of the show.  

Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oville said:

So, so.  Just a bad night.  Our main courses were a bit of a mess.  We did have Linda Capewell for background music, a nice plus.

It does sound like some have really good experiences and others not so much. Hope they can get their act together and be consistent!!

6 hours ago, Oville said:

We checked out Eden after a late dinner in Blu and we could not detect any odor or scent.  Marilyn may know the answer to this but I thought the offending smell was coming from the bar area and there is no device I could see spewing incense.

Great entertainment tonight including the numerous musical acts at various venues, tomorrow I’ll give you the list. We liked the show A Hot Summer’s Dream, Jeff wasn’t wild about the fantasy part but liked the athleticism of the show.  

Katie

I was there at 6 PM one day in normal lighting and clear air and the lights started to change to different colors and a mist/fog was suddenly in the air.  My sense was that it was coming from the side opposite the bar (port side 5), but I was on 6 so not sure. I didn't smell any smells at that time or I would have been out of there very quickly (I had a sinus infection during that cruise so my sense of smell must have been off), but others did smell it.  Hopefully they have had enough complaints to stop the incense. 🙂

Happy to hear that the entertainment is still good after our favorites left. Sounds like the TA gang is going to have some great entertainment!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oville said:

Katie

Some of the Eden specific drinks are prepared using a smoke machine burning (herbs?)....Kind of strange and the bartender admitted it was rather time consuming amongst other things....

Thanks Katie😊 Hopefully, they’re using unscented fog or haze now. That’s great news about the entertainment! I was disappointed to hear that The Reckless Charms had gone. Have they returned? I hope FCSH pulls it together before we arrive lol. I certainly see mixed reviews of that venue, and we’re well past the initial shake down period.

1 minute ago, tompeter said:

Some of the Eden specific drinks are prepared using a smoke machine burning (herbs?)....Kind of strange and the bartender admitted it was rather time consuming amongst other things....

Thanks. I’d read about this in some reviews. I’ll definitely avoid ordering that drink😝I suspect there are two sources generating an overwhelming scent. The bar generates it when making specific drinks, and there’s another source for the Eden show (which may now be unscented).

8 hours ago, twodjs said:

Several of us have suggested simple solutions to issues with the IVs. The king size bed, I believe is really a big part of the problem. Downsizing to a queen (S class) would give additional room and allow the Veranda to be bigger. Gosh, then they could have real chairs with foot rests! What a concept! The folding doors are not structural, but merely decorative and could be relocated with an air-tight version to allow the AC to maintain a comfortable temp with the window open. And just put the blackout curtain on the cabin side of the folding doors, now that there is room. All fixable issues. The real reason why they are not sailing full is the price. Also fixable and certainly not a reason to sell off the ship! 

I agree that doing all of those things would improve the IVs and make them attractive to more travelers. I think there will always be people who prefer the traditional open balcony (like us who live in an ice box in the winter and want to lay in full sun), but many people have reported enjoying the IV concept (even we enjoyed trying it). With changes, there may be enough of a market to support a couple of ships with 63% IV's. Time will tell - I agree that it is way too early to be hanging crepe.

I also agree that the price is a bigger issue right now. I feel pretty confident though that X has a business plan and am not going to worry about the success or failure of the Edge. Those who have enjoyed the Edge Class or are intrigued by it and can afford the prices will continue to book (like us, though we down-graded).  X will keep the higher prices as long as they can in order to make the ship appear exclusive and then have "special deals" to lower the price or increase perks so that it looks like people are getting a deal. If that fills the ship, more power to them. If it doesn't continue to work, I'm sure they have a Plan B.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

Considering X just placed an order for a fifth Edge class ship this morning (article) I think it is safe to assume they are here to stay. They may not be for everyone, but clearly they are seeing enough demand.

It’s not uncommon for later deliveries in a class to have updates/upgrades from the prototype ship. Just look at NCL’s Breakaway-Plus and RCI’s Quantum-Ultra ships. They’re updated versions of the originals. We’ll have to wait and see what changes X makes to the Edge-class between now and 2024. 

We know the names of the next 3 Edge-class ships (Apex, Opus, and Luxe). Any guesses for the 5th ship?

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I have heard that unless Celebrity can find a way to solve some of these major issues with the Edge and make the ship more acceptable to their younger target market, they maybe forced to sell them to Pullmantur, another cruise line under the Royal umbrella, to upgrade their fleet.  Pullmantur serves a different market than Celebrity and perhaps their clientele may be more accepting of the problems with the Edge class.  The Pullmantur fleet has been getting a lot older and would benefit from some new blood.

Why would you post such an undocumented rumor here? It makes really no sense for a wide variety of reasons.  So a waiter on Edge knows RCI Inc corporate strategy and feeds it to you? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

Considering X just placed an order for a fifth Edge class ship this morning (article) I think it is safe to assume they are here to stay. They may not be for everyone, but clearly they are seeing enough demand.

Or lemmings to the sea? Hopefully there will be some upgrades, alterations and improvements to the original design on future iterations.

22 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Or lemmings to the sea? Hopefully there will be some upgrades, alterations and improvements to the original design on future iterations.

I have no doubt there will be changes made along the way just like they did with the S-class. Plus given how receptive X seems to be regarding the feedback of those sailing on Edge I suspect we will see a refinement of the class with each ship. Will they ever get it perfect, probably not, but I think it is at least encouraging that they are listening to their passengers and making or attempting to make adjustments where they can.

At the end of the day I don't see X having a larger fleet with more options as a bad thing. Hopefully it means something for everyone. If one likes a certain ship or class, they should sail on it, if not, don't. It's pretty simple.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

I have no doubt there will be changes made along the way just like they did with the S-class. Plus given how receptive X seems to be regarding the feedback of those sailing on Edge I suspect we will see a refinement of the class with each ship. Will they ever get it perfect, probably not, but I think it is at least encouraging that they are listening to their passengers and making or attempting to make adjustments where they can.

At the end of the day I don't see X having a larger fleet with more options as a bad thing. Hopefully it means something for everyone. If one likes a certain ship or class, they should sail on it, if not, don't. It's pretty simple.

I couldn't agree more!

12 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

I'm sure they will make changes, but from what I've read the fundamental structure of the Edge was changed to support the IV concept.  Perhaps they can revert to traditional balconies without a fundamental redesign (which would be a new class).  I hope so, but I suspect the Edge design probably locks in the IV concept.  Hoping I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks. I’d read about this in some reviews. I’ll definitely avoid ordering that drink😝I suspect there are two sources generating an overwhelming scent. The bar generates it when making specific drinks, and there’s another source for the Eden show (which may now be unscented).

I wish I would had thought of taking a picture of the fog/scent machine. It was to the side of the steps that go to the higher floor in Eden. Fragrance started around 7 or 730 but then it diffused (or we just got used to it). Maybe I will check my pics to see if I can see it!

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I'm sure they will make changes, but from what I've read the fundamental structure of the Edge was changed to support the IV concept.  Perhaps they can revert to traditional balconies without a fundamental redesign (which would be a new class).  I hope so, but I suspect the Edge design probably locks in the IV concept.  Hoping I'm wrong.

Or maybe... the IV is actually more popular than people on this board may expect?  I mean instead of designing a new class they are sticking with a 5th Edge, the IV can't be doing/reviewing as poorly as people here seem to think...

If you don't like the IV why not just book a sunset veranda instead?  The price is more or less the same on most sailings.  I don't understand why people are so worked up over the IV... and the Edge in general.  

More choice is good for the consumer.  If it's not for you, chose something else.  Instead of making similar ships, i'm glad companies are trying new things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

If you don't like the IV why not just book a sunset veranda instead? 

Certainly an option, but if you want Aqua Class for the perks, the only choice is IV. 

• Like 2

We enjoyed EDGE...had no real issue with IV other than it was too small and had the poorly functional  bi fold doors.. That can change on  the newer ships. So can acoustics,  providing more shade and adding  wind buffers .Hoping E Class will evolve and improve.

Perhaps some of the M Class will be leaving the fleet as the newer E Class ships come on line???   But hope  not til after our 2020 Summit cruise  !!

12 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Certainly an option, but if you want Aqua Class for the perks, the only choice is IV. 

This is  true...but we did not care that much for  the BLU location or acoustics,  and can always buy a thermal suite pass....or  just book the IV

29 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Or maybe... the IV is actually more popular than people on this board may expect?  I mean instead of designing a new class they are sticking with a 5th Edge, the IV can't be doing/reviewing as poorly as people here seem to think...

If you don't like the IV why not just book a sunset veranda instead?  The price is more or less the same on most sailings.  I don't understand why people are so worked up over the IV... and the Edge in general.  

More choice is good for the consumer.  If it's not for you, chose something else.  Instead of making similar ships, i'm glad companies are trying new things. 

I'm truly happy that the IV concept appeals to you.  Since the overwhelming majority of outside cabins on the next 4 Celebrity ships will be IVs, you will have a lot of cabins to choose from.

For those of us who do not find the IV concept appealing it seems that we will not have a lot to choose from on Celebrity's new ships.  For me this is disappointing. I'm not sure why you see this disappointment as "being all worked up". 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I was there at 6 PM one day in normal lighting and clear air and the lights started to change to different colors and a mist/fog was suddenly in the air.  My sense was that it was coming from the side opposite the bar (port side 5), but I was on 6 so not sure. I didn't smell any smells at that time or I would have been out of there very quickly (I had a sinus infection during that cruise so my sense of smell must have been off), but others did smell it.  Hopefully they have had enough complaints to stop the incense. 🙂

Happy to hear that the entertainment is still good after our favorites left. Sounds like the TA gang is going to have some great entertainment!

Thanks Marilyn, I knew you would have the proper answer.

Here are tonight’s entertainers in the various venues (Grand Plaza, Rooftop, The Club and Eden):

Linda Capewell: Guitar and vocalist

Edge Theater Ensemble 

Dos Duo:  Guitar/Piano and vocalist

Asami:  Pianist 

Spectrum:  Band and vocalist

The Free Label:  Band and vocalist

Marco Gnatto:  Pianist

Crystie Jane:  Pianist and vocalist

Revelation at Eden

Nocturnal Glow Party (10:15 Rooftop)

Right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if future Edge-class ships have a larger mix of traditional balcony staterooms and fewer IV staterooms. However, don’t expect X to announce that as it would devalue ships like Edge and Apex with mostly IV rooms. My guess is X won’t draw any attention to the fact that Edge 3, 4, or 5 will have fewer IV rooms. We’ll just notice when they open for bookings and the deck plans are published. 

From what I’ve read on this board and others, some people (maybe not a lot) really HATE the IV design. Many think IV is tolerable, but has some drawback. And a bunch think IV rooms are just fine. But I can’t think of anyone who LOVES the IV and insists on having such a cabin in the future. That’s very telling. I don’t think X has really improved on the traditional cruise balcony cabin design.

As someone else said on this tread, the real tell will be if any other lines incorporate IV rooms into their new ships. If the design really is a winner, others will copy it and guests will be willing to pay a premium for it. Until we see that, I think X might be stuck with a less than desirable product. 

• Like 2