The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

I've taken a view of several YoutTube videos from travelers in IV cabins on Edge, and I've begun to think about something in general about the IV cabins: what's the point of the folding (French) doors?  They don't block light... they aren't airtight (according to a post on this thread).  And apparently, opening and closing them means moving the balcony chairs.  Why would anyone ever close them?

Since the point, as I see it, is that the entire IV cabin is a veranda rather than a cabin space with a dedicated balcony space, why would you want to cut it down (space-wise) with these doors?  I wonder if the original design concept called for these to be airtight to allow the AC/heat to be on?

I'm surprised this never occurred to me in all the years of watching the pre-build presentations.  I know when we sail aboard Edge next  year, my wife and I will open these folding doors once and forget about them.  As for the IV "window" being open or closed, I know at night we will always want it closed.  Even in regular balcony cabins, we never sleep with the balcony door open.  I do like the greater privacy in the IVs... I hate those rude people that pop their head around to look into your balcony.  

One more thought... I wonder how good the mechanism is that opens and closes the "window" and the blind?  To me, that's just one more thing to break.  I'd hate it if I was in an IV and either was broken... eek!

Edited by Cruising Forever!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

I've taken a view of several YoutTube videos from travelers in IV cabins on Edge, and I've begun to think about something in general about the IV cabins: what's the point of the folding (French) doors?  They don't block light... they aren't airtight (according to a post on this thread).  And apparently, opening and closing them means moving the balcony chairs.  Why would anyone ever close them?

Since the point, as I see it, is that the entire IV cabin is a veranda rather than a cabin space with a dedicated balcony space, why would you want to cut it down (space-wise) with these doors?  I wonder if the original design concept called for these to be airtight to allow the AC/heat to be on?

I'm surprised this never occurred to me in all the years of watching the pre-build presentations.  I know when we sail aboard Edge next  year, my wife and I will open these folding doors once and forget about them.  As for the IV "window" being open or closed, I know at night we will always want it closed.  Even in regular balcony cabins, we never sleep with the balcony door open.  I do like the greater privacy in the IVs... I hate those rude people that pop their head around to look into your balcony.  

One more thought... I wonder how good the mechanism is that opens and closes the "window" and the blind?  To me, that's just one more thing to break.  I'd hate it if I was in an IV and either was broken... eek!

I think the only reason the bifold doors are there is to create the faux balcony feel...without them the cabin would reveal what it truly is....an oceanview cabin with a window that opens. It is correct they don't seal as you can cleary see is the picture. I also agree with you that with both the window and shade mechanical...how well are these going to operate long term....the shade already was an issue if you didn't have all the furniture clear of its path. 

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.040c7cacf1c59df3d0e3e753020245da.jpg

• Like 4

I may be in the minority, but I did shut the bifold doors in the early morning while I worked on my laptop while my DH slept. It was quieter for him to have the doors closed while I worked (and quieter for me as it cut the snoring noises down 🙂).  Otherwise, we left them open.

The IV concept is better than the execution. They talked about using 3D models to design the ship. I guess I don't understand how they missed the obvious - the IV is not deep enough. Our 5.5 ft X 9 ft balcony on Infinity last week was big enough vs. the 4.5 ft depth of the IV. That 1 ft makes a huge difference, though the bifold doors would still have been a pain to open and close on the Infinity balcony. I do have to say that I missed the IV on the Infinity when, just as I settled in on the balcony with my blow up foot stool, the guy next door came out on his balcony and made a business call on his cell phone. He talked loudly for 20 minutes so I finally gave up and went to the pool. My DH said he was still on the phone 15 minutes after I left so he gave up as well. The IV does have its advantages...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I do have to say that I missed the IV on the Infinity when, just as I settled in on the balcony with my blow up foot stool, the guy next door came out on his balcony and made a business call on his cell phone. He talked loudly for 20 minutes so I finally gave up and went to the pool. My DH said he was still on the phone 15 minutes after I left so he gave up as well. The IV does have its advantages...

Good point.  For me, the privacy of the balcony outweighs the other negatives.  Nosy balcony neighbors are a big pet peeve of mine so being able to enjoy my balcony in privacy sounds wonderful!  I'm just hoping the windows are not locked by the captain often.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

. I do have to say that I missed the IV on the Infinity when, just as I settled in on the balcony with my blow up foot stool, the guy next door came out on his balcony and made a business call on his cell phone. He talked loudly for 20 minutes so I finally gave up and went to the pool. My DH said he was still on the phone 15 minutes after I left so he gave up as well. The IV does have its advantages...

If  you are sitting next to your open IV window and the same person was in the next stateroom with their window open and was holding a conversation just a foot or so from your open window, how would that be any different than if you were on normal verandas? 

• Like 1

I agree that the bi-fold doors serve no real purpose. Why are they not air tight? That would solve many complaints. Why is the blackout drape not on the inside of the bi-fold doors? That would solve other complaints. And making the bed a queen (like on S class cabins) would give you enough room for that extra foot on the veranda. We loved the concept,  the poor execution has left many never wanting to cruise on Edge again. As for the sound question asked above, any conversation from next door would be far quieter because the walls are solid, not just an opaque panel that partially divides the area and allows sound to travel above, below and around both sides of the divider.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, twodjs said:

. As for the sound question asked above, any conversation from next door would be far quieter because the walls are solid, not just an opaque panel that partially divides the area and allows sound to travel above, below and around both sides of the divider.

If you are sitting next to your open window (IV) relaxing and someone is holding a conversation at their open window (IV) just a few feet from yours I imagine the conversation could be annoying..

That is how I interpreted the situation where the parties were sitting on their regular verandas, one trying to relax and the other holding a loud conversation ?

Just my thoughts... from the OP's post, "... I did shut the bifold doors in the early morning while I worked on my laptop while my DH slept. It was quieter for him to have the doors closed while I worked (and quieter for me as it cut the snoring noises down 🙂). "

Edited by boscobeans

21 minutes ago, twodjs said:

That extra foot would also allow for the chairs to recline or to have foot stools. So the decision to have king-size beds caused several design problems. 

I was going to say that everyone craves those extra few inches - then I thought I’d better not 🙊 🤣.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, bajathree said:

I think the only reason the bifold doors are there is to create the faux balcony feel...without them the cabin would reveal what it truly is....an oceanview cabin with a window that opens. It is correct they don't seal as you can cleary see is the picture. I also agree with you that with both the window and shade mechanical...how well are these going to operate long term....the shade already was an issue if you didn't have all the furniture clear of its path. 

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.040c7cacf1c59df3d0e3e753020245da.jpg

I hadn't thought about this, but you're right, the bifold doors are really just ornamental serving no purpose other than to make an oceanview appear to be a balcony.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

If  you are sitting next to your open IV window and the same person was in the next stateroom with their window open and was holding a conversation just a foot or so from your open window, how would that be any different than if you were on normal verandas? 

Agree with twodjs above. The big difference is the solid walls and ceiling of the veranda - if we were both sitting in our chairs with the glass down, my guess is that I wouldn't know that the guy on the phone's colleague was a big problem and had better straighten out or he was out of the deal. 🙂  I might have heard some muffled noise, but it was very quiet and private out there (I did hear the Magic Carpet move past, but that was cool to watch!).

If two people were at the "rail" with the glass down, I agree that you would hear what was going on next door. You never know what interesting neighbors might be next door.

image.thumb.png.ec9b569f8b95c282dd1755535e1a9203.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

I agree that the bi-fold doors serve no real purpose. Why are they not air tight? That would solve many complaints. Why is the blackout drape not on the inside of the bi-fold doors? That would solve other complaints. And making the bed a queen (like on S class cabins) would give you enough room for that extra foot on the veranda. We loved the concept,  the poor execution has left many never wanting to cruise on Edge again. 

These are precisely the questions DH and I asked as the IV flaws became apparent toward the end of the build. Viewing photos shipyard employees and crew members kindly posted, we could easily see daylight through the closed bifold doors. It was also easy to see that the veranda was not large enough for the furniture (though it looked like the furniture in the CAD video).

The veranda should be deeper, the bifold doors should be at least as airtight as typical veranda doors, and the AC/heat should not shut off if the bifold doors are closed. And, when we booked an IV, we hadn’t realized that we might find the window locked for any reason other than window washing.

We’ll enter our IV cabin on the 28th, and I’m sure we’ll love some aspects, but find others of less value than we had anticipated on the day we booked, which was way back on the day her schedule opened. VT, if we find that cool polar bear in our IV cabin, that will help immensely lol! We expect to love Edge herself, regardless of the IV issues. Last November, I felt confident enough to book a 2020 Edge cruise, but I chose an SV cabin.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

We’ve been on the Edge since Sunday and have used our IV extensively and have yet to hear a word from either side.  You can hear the window being raised and lowered but not a single conversation.

Last night the ship was rocking (in the good sense) till sometime after 11:00.  The band did a great job of getting people on the dance floor in the Grand Plaza.  We left to watch the end of the b-ball game.  Tonight the white party is poolside at 10:15.

Neither of us has encountered the sewage odor yet.  Perhaps they’ve solved the problem.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Oville said:

We’ve been on the Edge since Sunday and have used our IV extensively and have yet to hear a word from either side.  You can hear the window being raised and lowered but not a single conversation.

Last night the ship was rocking (in the good sense) till sometime after 11:00.  The band did a great job of getting people on the dance floor in the Grand Plaza.  We left to watch the end of the b-ball game.  Tonight the white party is poolside at 10:15.

Neither of us has encountered the sewage odor yet.  Perhaps they’ve solved the problem.

Thanks Katie! I knew you’d boarded, and hoped you’d chime in here😊  Have you found your IV window locked often? I’m thrilled to hear that X is providing good live music. I hope they’ll still be there on the 28th. Thanks for reminding me about packing something for the white party. If you’re in Eden for the evening show, could you note whether they’re still using the scented fog (or whatever it is)? I hope you’re having a wonderful time! Have a frosty cocktail for me😜 Cheers! Michelle 

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

That extra foot would also allow for the chairs to recline or to have foot stools. So the decision to have king-size beds caused several design problems. 

Exactly... The veranda  was too small for  any reasonable  furniture in the space;  and the cabin was too small for the big beds.. Smaller bed ( Queen)  would have afforded the extra space for the veranda and allowed the folding doors  to work as  hoped.

Makes you wonder who designed it so tight and who approved it without a  mock up...computer design not always perfect in real life!

Probably too late to  fix EDGE or APEX,..but hope they get it right after that....

32 minutes ago, Oville said:

Glad things are going well...did you get up to the White Night deck party?  We enjoyed that...great energy!

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks Katie! I knew you’d boarded, and hoped you’d chime in here😊  Have you found your IV window locked often? I’m thrilled to hear that X is providing good live music. I hope they’ll still be there on the 28th. Thanks for reminding me about packing something for the white party. If you’re in Eden for the evening show, could you note whether they’re still using the scented fog (or whatever it is)? I hope you’re having a wonderful time! Have a frosty cocktail for me😜 Cheers! Michelle 

Hi Michelle, the window has not been locked.  We arrived in San Juan over an hour ago and still unlocked, guess they’re not washing windows today.

The music has been good. Both nights before first seating the ship band has played a variety of music such as big band, Sinatra and other oldies in the Grand Plaza and it is packed.  Sadly, the piano players in the evening are barely heard as the crowd noise from the Plaza, Martini Bar and Al Bacio make it impossible to hear them.  Our plan is to try to catch them elsewhere.

We were not in Eden for the show last night, the only night scheduled so far for it.

I’ll toast to you tonight.🥂. Katie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad things are going well...did you get up to the White Night deck party?  We enjoyed that...great energy!

Hi hcat, the White Night is tonight, I already have my evening outfit picked out.

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Hi hcat, the White Night is tonight, I already have my evening outfit picked out.

Ah...sorry. ..

.  hope you have as perfect a night as we did...it was the usually very  breezy night on EDGE.   The  pool deck lights were amazing , the DJ was excellent, bar service attentive.... and the CD and activity staff really got the party cranking! Lots of dancing and fun,

We also had  difficulty hearing music  in the Grand Plaza,, Will try other venues and  Vt suggested it was easier to hear from the Cafe Baccio  tables

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Ah...sorry. ..

.  hope you have as perfect a night as we did...it was the usually very  breezy night on EDGE.   The  pool deck lights were amazing , the DJ was excellent, bar service attentive.... and the CD and activity staff really got the party cranking! Lots of dancing and fun,

We also had  difficulty hearing music  in the Grand Plaza,, Will try other venues and  Vt suggested it was easier to hear from the Cafe Baccio  tables

We were up at the Café last night, fun watching area.  Tonight dinner is at Fine Cuts at 8:30 then off to the White Party at 10:15.

The music level was very nice a couple of weeks ago while seated IN the grand plaza martini bar area. Guess they have greatly reduced the volume because of previous complaints from the specialty restaurants above. Never noticed any off smells anywhere on the ship and didn't notice any fragrance from the hazer (fog) machine in Eden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, twodjs said:

The music level was very nice a couple of weeks ago while seated IN the grand plaza martini bar area. Guess they have greatly reduced the volume because of previous complaints from the specialty restaurants above. Never noticed any off smells anywhere on the ship and didn't notice any fragrance from the hazer (fog) machine in Eden.

Great! Sounds like progress is being made.

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

I hadn't thought about this, but you're right, the bifold doors are really just ornamental serving no purpose other than to make an oceanview appear to be a balcony.  

Exactly! You explained what I thought and the pictures say it all.