Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

50 minutes ago, Wilm girl said:

In regards to the medallion, once issued the medallion are you also issued the sea pass, so on any given time on board, you have the option of using either one.

I am not sure what a sea pass is. Do you mean the cruises car? I don't believe they are issued to Medallion customers unless they are requested.

Some ships offer both medallion and cruise card.  The medallion is given when you arrive at the port.  the cruise card would be in your cabin.  You can opt out of medallion and request just a cruise card.  When you check in at port; tell the agent you do not want a medallion and just want a cruise card.  Have a great day

My brother, dad and I are sailing on the Royal in October 2019. It is a medallion cruise, which is new to all three of us. 

My dad (88) does not have a smart phone nor does he want one. How will this work for him?

Can we use one of our smart phones to get his medallion ready or will he just have to use the cruise card as always?

I appreciate any help on this.

Toni

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

My brother, dad and I are sailing on the Royal in October 2019. It is a medallion cruise, which is new to all three of us. 

My dad (88) does not have a smart phone nor does he want one. How will this work for him?

Can we use one of our smart phones to get his medallion ready or will he just have to use the cruise card as always?

Toni

He doesn´t need a smart phone. He can use the OM without it. OM will open his cabin door, he can pay anything onboard, he needs it for disembarking and embarking the ship.

The smart phone apps are enhancing the experience but are not needed to operate the OM. With the apps you can order a drink, food or anything for the cabin... you can locate people or locations onboard.

The only thing you might need a smart phone for is when you want to be able to locate your Dad as he has to allow this (in the Ocean Compass app).

steamboats

8 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Toni

Your passage contract with Princess states; you do not have to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program.  Just let Princess know you do not want a medallion and they will issue you a cruise card.  Below is a paragraph from your passage contract. It is listed on everyones reservation.  Have a great day.

Guests participating in the Ocean Medallion Program may receive a radio frequency technology-enabled device (the “Medallion”), which allows the Carrier to authenticate the Guest’s identity and benefits and services associated with the Guest’s voyage. The Medallion may be used to (i) authenticate the Guest’s identity and accounts, (ii) access the Guest’s stateroom, (iii) make purchases on board and at participating shore side properties, (iv) associate the Guest with photos taken by the Carrier during the Guest’s voyage, (v) track the Guest’s movements and on-board positioning using beacon technology, and (vi) collect and maintain personal information, activity data and other information associated with the Guest’s travel experience. The Medallion may be used alone or in combination with the Ocean Compass mobile application. Guests are not required to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program on Ocean-Enabled ships. Please contact Your ship staff to obtain a Cruise Card if you do not wish to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program. The use of the Medallion and participation in the Ocean Medallion Program are subject to the Ocean Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which are incorporated herein by reference. For more information about the Ocean Medallion Program, please visit the website at www.Ocean.com.

Edited by AF-1
added txt

10 hours ago, steamboats said:

He doesn´t need a smart phone. He can use the OM without it. OM will open his cabin door, he can pay anything onboard, he needs it for disembarking and embarking the ship.

The smart phone apps are enhancing the experience but are not needed to operate the OM. With the apps you can order a drink, food or anything for the cabin... you can locate people or locations onboard.

The only thing you might need a smart phone for is when you want to be able to locate your Dad as he has to allow this (in the Ocean Compass app).

steamboats

Thank you steamboats. Very helpful information!

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Your passage contract with Princess states; you do not have to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program.  Just let Princess know you do not want a medallion and they will issue you a cruise card.  Below is a paragraph from your passage contract. It is listed on everyones reservation.  Have a great day.

Guests participating in the Ocean Medallion Program may receive a radio frequency technology-enabled device (the “Medallion”), which allows the Carrier to authenticate the Guest’s identity and benefits and services associated with the Guest’s voyage. The Medallion may be used to (i) authenticate the Guest’s identity and accounts, (ii) access the Guest’s stateroom, (iii) make purchases on board and at participating shore side properties, (iv) associate the Guest with photos taken by the Carrier during the Guest’s voyage, (v) track the Guest’s movements and on-board positioning using beacon technology, and (vi) collect and maintain personal information, activity data and other information associated with the Guest’s travel experience. The Medallion may be used alone or in combination with the Ocean Compass mobile application. Guests are not required to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program on Ocean-Enabled ships. Please contact Your ship staff to obtain a Cruise Card if you do not wish to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program. The use of the Medallion and participation in the Ocean Medallion Program are subject to the Ocean Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which are incorporated herein by reference. For more information about the Ocean Medallion Program, please visit the website at www.Ocean.com.

Thank you AF-1. It's good to know that's an option for him although he's excited to try the OM.

13 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Toni

yes, you can get him completely ocean ready on one of your devices

2 hours ago, goforyourdreams said:

I downloaded OceanReady and couldn't get it to work, it's really glitchy so I gave up on it.  Will I still get the Medallion when I board or will I get a regular cruise card? 

The ocean ready app has bugs;  so if you are within 45 days of sailing you should be able to use the ocean ready app.  If you have not made final payment for your cruise the ocean ready app won't load.  Your names must be same in the ocean ready app and your cruise personalizer.  If you can not get everything loaded in the ocean ready app; no problem.  Once you get to the cruise port you can get your medallion there;  there will be plenty of Princess people there to help you out.  If you choose not to get a medallion and just want a cruise card; no problem; the Princess people will help with that also.  Have fun

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

The ocean ready app has bugs;  so if you are within 45 days of sailing you should be able to use the ocean ready app.  If you have not made final payment for your cruise the ocean ready app won't load.  Your names must be same in the ocean ready app and your cruise personalizer.  If you can not get everything loaded in the ocean ready app; no problem.  Once you get to the cruise port you can get your medallion there;  there will be plenty of Princess people there to help you out.  If you choose not to get a medallion and just want a cruise card; no problem; the Princess people will help with that also.  Have fun

The App is a POS - buggy as all hell. Whatever team wrote it should be ashamed of themselves & Carnival/Princess should do a redo. However, the tech behind the Medallion is solid, we use it at the College I work at . This isn't reflective of the apps, just that they run on solid tech.

• Like 2

Just talked to Princess. It's official. Princess will NOT ship a medallion to me EVER. Something about not shipping outside USA (even though I live in California which is in USA)

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

The App is a POS - buggy as all hell. Whatever team wrote it should be ashamed of themselves & Carnival/Princess should do a redo. However, the tech behind the Medallion is solid, we use it at the College I work at . This isn't reflective of the apps, just that they run on solid tech.

Yeah - shame about the app. Some of the tech that OM uses has been around for quite awhile. My post #600, documents the door-unlocking function in use 35 years ago.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Just talked to Princess. It's official. Princess will NOT ship a medallion to me EVER. Something about not shipping outside USA (even though I live in California which is in USA)

All I can say is oh my.....weird and frustrating.

• Thanks 1

She didn't say 'ever.' Must admit that's on me. She just said they do not ship to non-US addresses. But I got on the last ship with only a boarding pass just fine (Star was a non-medallion vessel) so I'll get on the same way

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

She didn't say 'ever.' Must admit that's on me. She just said they do not ship to non-US addresses. But I got on the last ship with only a boarding pass just fine (Star was a non-medallion vessel) so I'll get on the same way

Did Princess attempt to explain how California is not in the US??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Maybe they know something you don't... 😨!

• Like 1

Our medallions arrived today via Fedex, without an email notifying us. (Yes, I checked the spam folder)

I noticed a label underneath the Fedex label, and became curious. What I thought would be a Chinese shipping label, ended up being a manufacturing label.

IMG_3909.JPG