What cruise lines are you considering, due to increased X prices?

Stateroom_Sailor

2020 and Beyond  

328 members have voted

1. 1. What cruise lines are you considering, due to increased X prices?

• Mass Market: RCCL, NCL, MSC (including Ship-Within-a-Ship Concepts)
    • Premium Mass Market: Princess, Holland America, Cunard
    • Luxury-Light: Azamara, Oceania, Windstar, Viking Ocean
    • Luxury: Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Crystal
    • X is still a Great Choice
    • Others: Virgin Voyages, Ritz-Carlton, River Cruising, National Geographic
    • Land Vacations

42 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

As for Luxury Lines, we tried a Crystal cruise last Dec. Loved the ship and it was not badly priced being a week out of New Orleans and just the standard Mex ports of call. I think it was priced to bring in us “MassMarkets”. Did it to see if ‘luxury’ was worth it. It was very nice, but being Elite Plus and getting the deals of paid gratuities and unlimited internet help Celebrity approach ‘luxury’ for us. My wife won’t do it again - ship is pretty small and we hit very bad weather in the Gulf heading back to NO and the result was a lot of rolling and pitching - well beyond what we’ve experienced, so she wants to stick with 2000+ ships but not huge ones. 

My wife felt the same way after we sailed on Azamara.

But here is my dilemma: all new ships are around 3,000 passengers, sometimes more. If yu want a ~2,000 ship, you need to go with a ship which is 10-15 years old. How X older ships (Summit, Constellation etc.) compare to the new ships? I know they get refurbished every few years, but still.. Don't you "feel" the older design? And I assume somethings cannot be changed. They are also cheaper most of the time.

btw, same dilemma on Princess and HAL.  

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But here is my dilemma: all new ships are around 3,000 passengers, sometimes more. If yu want a ~2,000 ship, you need to go with a ship which is 10-15 years old. How X older ships (Summit, Constellation etc.) compare to the new ships? I know they get refurbished every few years, but still.. Don't you "feel" the older design? And I assume somethings cannot be changed. They are also cheaper most of the time.

Oceania ( 2 of their ships) and Viking (entire fleet) have ships under 2000 passengers and under 10 years old. 

Edited by buggins0402

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I actually like the design of the "old" M class ships. Will see if I am happy with the changes due to the Edgification !!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

......We did the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite last September, on the Seaside .......

It's a different vibe and atmosphere, but we adjusted very well.......

What is the different vibe  and atmosphere ?

When I said 2000+, I was referring to M- and S-Class Celebrity ships and not the huge RCL/MSC/NCL/etc things that are 4000+.

ANd yes, love M-Class with the T-Spa pool and the overall feel. 

Den

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The poll also leaves out those who always shop around for the best value.  Prices fluctuate on all the lines at different times.  Seems as though every line continually tries to raise the fare then runs sales. 

If you hunt for last minute deals, it could be hard to tell at this point.  If you are booking 2020 and 2021 now, I would compare it to prior years.   No change = X is still a great choice.

We switched to X because we found if we book early, we can usually get a Sky Suite for about the same price per day as a vista suite on HAL or an A category cabin on Oceania. But, more importantly, we have a lot more fun on X cruises than HAL or O.

We have also switched to Princess as well because they have longer itineraries and, again, we can get a mini-suite and sometimes a vista suite for about the same price as well. But, again, we also have a lot more fun on a Princess cruise than either a HAL or O cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

There have always been people "graduating" to the luxury lines, so I don't know if that's very significant.  However, 5 years ago, I think you would have been pretty hard-pressed to find this many people looking to go to other mass market lines.  For many, X was known for food & refinement, and it's what you booked if you were going to book a cruise.  End of story.  Squandering that type of loyalty will prove to be detrimental in the long-term.

Agree. Used to be when we planned a cruise, it was pretty much a given that it would be on Celebrity. For the past couple of years, Celebrity has been one of 4 or 5 lines we consider, and have been choosing one of the others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Oceania ( 2 of their ships) and Viking (entire fleet) have ships under 2000 passengers and under 10 years old. 

I know, we sailed on Oceania and loved it. But I still want to have the option to sail on X, Princess or HAL if the itinerary and price are right.

Good topic.  We became disenchanted with X about 2 years ago when we noticed constant price increases couples with various cut-backs onboard (ranging from major to tiny things).   We have been Elite Plus for a few years and would sometimes book several X cruises a year (we sometimes cruise over 100 days a year).  But our last X cruise was in December of 2017!  We just did not think this line offered the value we can find elsewhere (we have cruised on 15 lines and also do a lot of DIY land trips).  We kept booking cruises on HAL (which now has a lot of issues) and Princess and also started to cruise with MSC (in their Yacht Club) and have an upcoming cruise on Seabourn.  The irony is that our Seabourn cruise is costing us significantly less then a comparable suite on X, and with Seabourn we are getting an all-inclusive luxury line.  As to MSC, the average cost of a regular Yacht Club Suite (more like a deluxe balcony cabin) is about $300 per passenger day but comes with many perks including an entire ship within a ship experience (private sun deck, private restaurant, private lounge, unlimited premium drinks, etc).   We were so happy with our first MSC cruise that we quickly booked two more future MSC cruises (Yacht Club).  Those MSC cruises would have definitely been X cruises except that we think that MSC gives us a far better experience and value.   We continue are extensive cruise schedule but currently have no bookings (or plans to book) with Celebrity in the near future.  

Has Celebrity become an awful cruise line?  No!  But we now think that other lines and travel options offer a better value (and product) then Celebrity.  We have an open mind and would quickly book with X if an when we think they offer a competitive product at a competitive price.  And if we get one more e-mail from Celebrity pushing their Edge.....I think I will scream :(.   Based on the reviews of the Edge and comments we have seen here on CC we have no interest in that ship....especially at inflated prices.

Hank

• Like 4

17 hours ago, villauk said:

Which is great when you have flexibility. Unfortunately, not everyone does.

We actually also have to book well in advance but can still find an offer that works for us. Asian cruise with Celebrity in an inside is within our range if booked at the right time as one example.

8 minutes ago, yorky said:

We actually also have to book well in advance but can still find an offer that works for us. Asian cruise with Celebrity in an inside is within our range if booked at the right time as one example.

Over the last couple of years, the Asian cruises dropped heavily in price closer to sailing. I know because we had an onboard booking, moved it and rebooked because of the plummeting prices (this was in a balcony).

After reading post on these boards about MSC and talking to cruise friends that have done MSC (on a balcony cabin) we are not looking at MSC when we compare.

I have been comparing what cruise lines offer for years and prefer Celebrity, but like many on these boards have found X's prices have pushed it out of the competition for most of the cruises that I am interested in taking.

Even comparing transatlantic cruises that we are likely to take in conjunction with a European land trip (we have done all the Med, Northern European, South American, Australia, Asian cruises), Celebrity frequently comes up 60% higher than its cousin Royal C.  We love Royal's entertainment, while find its dining a bit below Celebrity.  Still, we like cruising Royal.  NCL has gone to price bundling and its prices are not as competitive either.  We never did HAL due to its smoking policy, which no longer is a problem, but it is hard to get excited about going with a cruise line that probably has even older passengers than Celebrity.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, Cruise Junky said:

My next two trips are land trips but I actually booked Regent yesterday. Dipped a toe into the luxury market for the first time. Got a killer deal. Probably no more a night than Edge 😳

Please share how you got a "killer deal" on Regent.  

15 hours ago, Wiltonian said:

Celebrity is probably better than P&O, but not twice as good! Celebrity is different to Cunard, but not significantly better overall.

This is the primary issue for me, too.  What X offers is not worth the price differential they're trying to charge for most itineraries.  I still prefer Celebrity as a favorite overall, but I'm not going to pay such a large premium to sail with them.  I might pay slightly more given everything else being equal, but X is often 150% to double what their competitors charge.  And this isn't relegated to just Edge or Apex; these pricing games are happening across the fleet.

• Like 1

After 16 consecutive Celebrity S Class cruises we tried MSC Yacht Club.  Wow it bowled us over and now have 3 future Yacht Club cruises booked.  Yacht Club prices have risen since our first cruise but it's still better value than Celebrity and superior in so many ways. Thank you Celebrity for raising your prices it opened our eyes to a better world.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

Please share how you got a "killer deal" on Regent.  

Not sure about the How other than dumb luck but I`m happy to share.  We were looking at a Transpacific on Solstice but the main attraction was French Polynesia...no need for AU as we`ve been there twice and a third time this November so we started looking at Tahiti.  Saw a few sailings on Regent for the time frame we wanted and then saw the price of $14,500 pp in Canadian..yeah, that`s not happening but then read the fine print... if doing your own air, deduct $9600 pp...ohhhh that looks actually affordable.  Started looking at a couple of the usual online agencies and then saw a big store in Canada that shows their prices in Canadian and they were offering a guarantee for the sailing we wanted for $4145 Cdn pp.  Keep in mind, all are 305 sq ft suites and I don`t really care where it is so we booked a guarantee.  That includes shore excursions, top shelf drinks and champagne, mini bar, with a litre for the room if you want it, wifi, gratuities, specialty dining and came with $100 obc from agency plus a $325 store gift card upon return and it looks like there`s $500 OBC from Regent on my account...that was a surprise. 

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of trying Viking ocean next. We have had a couple of different friends sail with them. And both said it was by far the best cruise experience they have ever had. It is more expensive. But when you add in what is included not by much. Airfare, excursions, specialty restaurants and everything else is included. And the passenger load is smaller. Less than 1000 pax per sailing. Seems like the way cruising used to be to us.

I am going to agree with you. This is where we are headed and it's not just the price, it's X's new focus and our last experience. X has been slowly growing away from our demographic (mid 60s). To be honest, not much of what is on the Edge is why we cruise. And Celebrity's focus on the Edge to the detriment of the rest of the fleet is part of the problem. They are obviously looking for a younger demographic. Our Fall Foliage cruise on Summit was one of our worst, mostly because of a lack of people to serve us. Not poor service. The people who work for X are still some of the best at sea. There just aren't enough of them. X is making cuts in the wrong places.

So we have started looking for another cruise line, even though it would mean giving up our Elite Plus status when we sail with them. We've done a lot of research and we have pretty much decided that as soon as we are done with our two currently booked X cruises, we will be trying Viking Ocean. With the perks we usually buy and the fact that we always sail in veranda or higher, the price is going to be pretty close to the same and most of what we get as perks on X are also included on Viking.

We also find Viking more our style and truly appreciate that they treat us as adults. By that I mean, you can bring as much wine (and other beverages) on board as we want and there is no corkage fee in the dining room. The wine and beer at lunch and dinner and specialty coffees are included. No one under 18 is allowed on board, they included a shore excursion in every port, give you unlimited internet at no charge, have no charge specialty restaurants...and an adult vibe.

We also like sea days as much as the next person but sometimes we just want to see more places. Viking tries to have fewer sea days and more port days. This is partly due to their smaller ships (only 1000) people. We have sailed Azamara and loved them and would go back but we like the fact that 80% of Viking's ships are almost brand new. And they are bringing out two more this coming year. Amazing. Azamara's R-ships are old. Yes, they have been redone but it's not the same. We want something in between.

If you compare pricing you always see a low price for both and Viking is usually around $1500-$2000 higher but realize they don't have inside or outside staterooms. Everything is a veranda. I know that's not for everyone, but it is for us.

We find what is happening to X sad. We hate leaving X but they aren't us anymore. We know we will have a great time on our next to cruises (both on Reflection) but we are pretty much done with X. That does NOT mean they aren't still a great cruise line, they are. Just not what they used to be. The line we used to love.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, villauk said:

Over the last couple of years, the Asian cruises dropped heavily in price closer to sailing. I know because we had an onboard booking, moved it and rebooked because of the plummeting prices (this was in a balcony).

I agree with the above.....watching a cruise early December that includes a lot of perks wondering if we should book now or wait and see if price come down nearer the sale date. Flight also good at the moment......decisions decisions😩

When considering the price of any cruise you MUST weigh in the OBCs and perks offered. In most cases Celebrity comes out at a good price for all the benefits offered. If you do not book early to get the benefits, then go to Carnival for the lowest prices and the biggest cabins. Do not book any cruise line during spring break or when school is out unless you want a lot of partying and kids running around. Considering Celebrity usually give you a choice of 5 offers to choose from when booking. You cannot beat the price. Usually, $300-$350 OBC Free Alcohol drink packages for each booked, Paid gratuities, free internet. All five are not always offered. Plus I receive OBCs from my booking agent because of booking Celebrity with them. Considering Norwegian offers FREE alcohol packages and then charges you hundreds of dollars for the gratuities for that package. it is not free and actually is more expensive than just buying a drink when you want one. It is a major rip off and false advertising. Read the fine print always. RCCL does not offer much of anything. Princess can be an excellent decision. Many times they offer great perks also. I own stock in Carnival giving me good additional OBC on Carnival and Princess. . I did own RCCL and sold it. There offer is a rip off. If you already have an OBC as much or larger than offered having the stock. You get nothing. Stock for RCCL was twice the price also. Carnival still give you the stock perks.

5 hours ago, jody75 said:

After 16 consecutive Celebrity S Class cruises we tried MSC Yacht Club.  Wow it bowled us over and now have 3 future Yacht Club cruises booked.  Yacht Club prices have risen since our first cruise but it's still better value than Celebrity and superior in so many ways. Thank you Celebrity for raising your prices it opened our eyes to a better world.

Yup.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

When considering the price of any cruise you MUST weigh in the OBCs and perks offered. In most cases Celebrity comes out at a good price for all the benefits offered. If you do not book early to get the benefits, then go to Carnival for the lowest prices and the biggest cabins. Do not book any cruise line during spring break or when school is out unless you want a lot of partying and kids running around. Considering Celebrity usually give you a choice of 5 offers to choose from when booking. You cannot beat the price. Usually, $300-$350 OBC Free Alcohol drink packages for each booked, Paid gratuities, free internet. All five are not always offered. Plus I receive OBCs from my booking agent because of booking Celebrity with them. Considering Norwegian offers FREE alcohol packages and then charges you hundreds of dollars for the gratuities for that package. it is not free and actually is more expensive than just buying a drink when you want one. It is a major rip off and false advertising. Read the fine print always. RCCL does not offer much of anything. Princess can be an excellent decision. Many times they offer great perks also. I own stock in Carnival giving me good additional OBC on Carnival and Princess. . I did own RCCL and sold it. There offer is a rip off. If you already have an OBC as much or larger than offered having the stock. You get nothing. Stock for RCCL was twice the price also. Carnival still give you the stock perks.

If you think any, or all of the five perks are free, you are just the type of person they are looking for. I was looking at a Alaska cruise on the Solstice, this May, and adding two "free" perks added $650 p.p. to the price. I don't want any free perks as, even though they might be discounted off the normal price, they don't enhance my experience compared to the cost.

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I own stock in Carnival giving me good additional OBC on Carnival and Princess. . I did own RCCL and sold it. There offer is a rip off. If you already have an OBC as much or larger than offered having the stock. You get nothing. Stock for RCCL was twice the price also. Carnival still give you the stock perks.

Don't hate RCCL too much for their stock price. I used to have my 100 shares but then they stopped offering the benefit OBC with any other perks so I sold it. Bought it for $6 a share and sold it for more than $110. Paid for most of a cruise. :classic_biggrin: