First day-MDR-dress?

Does luggage usually arrive before dinner?  We have a 6:00 dinner time.  Do you have to be in dress code for dining in the MDR on night one?  Do people typically pack pants/polos/dresses in their carry on for dinner on the first night?  Boarding in 3 days, packing, and trying to figure this all out....

Generally yes, luggage arrives before dinner; but not always. Many people use first dinner and last dinner as a “dress down” night, but most likely you will have your luggage before dinner. 

• Like 1

Yes, usually the luggage arrives before dinner. But delays do occur. This is one reason why I don't wear shorts on embarkation. We also pack a change of clothes in our carry on bags ( mostly in case we spill something, but still...). Generally people dress more casually in the MDR on the first and last night, but the no shorts rule is still enforced- at least in our experience.

• Like 1

Yes it’s more casual but most all are dressed meeting the guidelines which are pretty loose. So shouldn’t be an issue with luggage getting to rooms earlier and packing a shirt/polo in carry-on. 

‘’Den

We also board wearing clothes that we would feel comfortable wearing into the evening if necessary...Lightweight dress for me dark polo and lightweight trousers for better half.

Whilst usually our cases have arrived speedily on two occasions one of our three cases has arrived late. On one occasion the label had come off and on another it had been placed outside another room down the corridor....Bearing in mind we generally cruise in suites no one can guarantee luggage will always arrive promptly. We always cross pack, mainly for flights, but it is also a bonus on board if one or other suitcase is late.

12 hours ago, First_time_for_everything said:

Does luggage usually arrive before dinner?  We have a 6:00 dinner time.  Do you have to be in dress code for dining in the MDR on night one?  Do people typically pack pants/polos/dresses in their carry on for dinner on the first night?  Boarding in 3 days, packing, and trying to figure this all out....

I always board the ship wearing shorts and a polo/golf style shirt and that's what I wear the first evening in the MDR. We always have our luggage and unpacked before dinner. We also eat early. Bon Voyage. 🥂

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

I think the no shorts for the MDR dinner rule is relaxed the first night.  Sometimes luggage does get delayed...my husband's once didn't turn up and it wasn't until we pressed the issue later that evening that we found out it was in the Naughty Room.  He doesn't believe in downsizing his toiletries and someone didn't believe his large bottle of mouthwash was....mouthwash.  We didn't find his bag until after dinner.

• Haha 1

We always have a variety of clothes in the carry on,..,.ever since ALL our luggage was delayed by SW airline on a flight to Seattle,  It arrived in the middle of the night at our pre cruise hotel, but we were looking at a quick shopping morning before the cruise if it did not work out.  So now we pack extra undies,  socks, shoes tops pants, shorts etc,  Carry on is heavy but we could manage somewhat with the contents.

Luggage usually arrives early....we cruise AQ Class mostly. Once dh went to search for it..It was at a holding area a few levels down...very slow service!  We also cross pack..just in case.

Folks dress down a bit,,some have travelled all day...some use it as an excuse!

Edited by hcat

We don't wear shorts when we  board. I wear capris and a nice top. My husband doesn't wear shorts, ever. He wears jeans and a polo shirt when boarding.

I hadn't seen shorts in the MDR until our last cruise a few months ago. There were a few passengers in the MDR in shorts on the first night. I'm not sure if it's an official waiver on the dress code, or if it varies from ship to ship. 

Edited by Marelaine

I never wear a dress in the MDR or otherwise.  My wife does sometimes, but I never do.

Celebrity does not seem to care what you wear at any time.  I have worn athletic shoes to Blu for dinner, when we went directly at closing time after a long excursion.  Nobody said anything or looked concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I never wear a dress in the MDR or otherwise.  My wife does sometimes, but I never do.

Celebrity does not seem to care what you wear at any time.  I have worn athletic shoes to Blu for dinner, when we went directly at closing time after a long excursion.  Nobody said anything or looked concerned.

Agree last cruise on the Summit a passenger wore sneakers to the Tuscan Grill. He was wearing khaki pants and a polo top.

• Haha 1

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe there are any rules related to athletic shoes per se.  

It is true that on the first night in particular the dress code can be more relaxed (exception might be a cruise that sails later).  On the last night, people generally dress a little more casually but they may still enforce the dress code (tends to vary by ship).  That said, if you have your luggage and have your clothes IMHO you should follow the guidelines.  The rules get relaxed on the first night, early seating in particular, out of consideration for passengers who may not have received their luggage on time.  If you are not one of those people you are just taking advantage of Celebrity trying to be considerate, by your being inconsiderate, in my opinion.  There is a difference between what you CAN get away with and what you should be doing.  I am not the kind of person who thinks it is ok to push the limits to see what you can get away with just because you can - that's something my two year old grandson does.  But that may just be me.  It seems like that is what society is coming to these days - if you don't like the rules just break them and dare someone to do something about it  (and no, of course shorts in the MDR is not a world shattering event - I certainly understand that- that's not the point).

• Like 2

I don’t understand why people concern themselves with what OTHERS wear to dinner. People wear nice shorts in top restaurants all the time- especially when on vacation. Worry about yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2019 at 6:57 PM, First_time_for_everything said:

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe there are any rules related to athletic shoes per se.  

It is true that on the first night in particular the dress code can be more relaxed (exception might be a cruise that sails later).  On the last night, people generally dress a little more casually but they may still enforce the dress code (tends to vary by ship).  That said, if you have your luggage and have your clothes IMHO you should follow the guidelines.  The rules get relaxed on the first night, early seating in particular, out of consideration for passengers who may not have received their luggage on time.  If you are not one of those people you are just taking advantage of Celebrity trying to be considerate, by your being inconsiderate, in my opinion.  There is a difference between what you CAN get away with and what you should be doing.  I am not the kind of person who thinks it is ok to push the limits to see what you can get away with just because you can - that's something my two year old grandson does.  But that may just be me.  It seems like that is what society is coming to these days - if you don't like the rules just break them and dare someone to do something about it  (and no, of course shorts in the MDR is not a world shattering event - I certainly understand that- that's not the point).

It’s not my business to judge what PAXs wear for dinner at MDR.  That is for the Maitre D to decide. 

Shorts, tee shirts, and sandals are OK to wear on first and last night of cruise.   Maitre D will allow you into the MDR for dinner. Take advantage of exception to the usual dress policy for first and last day.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agree..but now there are many pax coming from  cruise lines with very relaxed or non existent dress guidelines, for whatever the reasons..and they then want to have X turn into the lines they have left, Flip Flop Nation!

It would not kill someone to put on khakis  and a polo shirt for dinner hour. .Where we live that's the usual,..unless it's a casual burger place or beach bar. But in warmer climates like Fla where we spend alot of  time,,  most are in shorts  24/ 7

I agree it should be up to the cruiseline staff to follow the sign that is posted right by the dining rms and printed in the daily

OP will likey get luggage in time for  dinner,  can pack pants in carryons,  or can slide first night,   The last night is more casual but not  a shorts night unless at the buffet,,,

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, First_time_for_everything said:

Yes, your luggage should arrive well before dinner. Just wear slacks & a collared shirt & you're fine.

4 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

It’s not my business to judge what PAXs wear for dinner at MDR.  That is for the Maitre D to decide. 

Shorts, tee shirts, and sandals are OK to wear on first and last night of cruise.   Maitre D will allow you into the MDR for dinner. Take advantage of exception to the usual dress policy for first and last day.

That is NOT acceptable in the MDR on any night & you know it!  Giving out info. like that can cause embarrassment to those who take it as gospel. In the buffet, yes, but NOT the MDR. There are issues that may arise & it will dealt with on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dom G said:

I don’t understand why people concern themselves with what OTHERS wear to dinner. People wear nice shorts in top restaurants all the time- especially when on vacation. Worry about yourself. 

What is your idea of a top rest.? You dress like that at say Capitol Grill & you'll not get in.

36 minutes ago, keithm said:

What is your idea of a top rest.? You dress like that at say Capitol Grill & you'll not get in.

I’ve seen people wear Bermuda shorts in Capital Grille before.  

I have NO problem wearing pants to dinner. What I don’t get is some people’s obsession with what others are wearing. MYOB and enjoy your vacation. If you want to wear a tuxedo every night, enjoy. If you want to wear Bermuda shorts and a polo, knock your socks off. Both have 0 impact on my enjoyment of the evening. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, keithm said:

That is NOT acceptable in the MDR on any night & you know it!  Giving out info. like that can cause embarrassment to those who take it as gospel. In the buffet, yes, but NOT the MDR. There are issues that may arise & it will dealt with on a case by case basis.

I tend to agree with you about the shorts and this thread sort of welcomes people to get over.  On our first cruise I wore shorts and our luggage did not come and we went to dining room.  This was in the 90s when Celebrity actually had and enforced a dress code.  We were allowed in but every cruise after that I put clothes in my carry on to cover the first night.  This is really on Celebrity, they allow people in because in reality not everyone does get their luggage but this thread just takes advantage of that, remember the dress code for every night is still no shorts. 

• Like 1

I have to say that on all of my Celebrity cruises, almost all passengers follow the suggested dress code, including on the first and last night. I have no idea if they pack appropriate clothes in their carry ons or if their luggage has arrived, but I have never seen many passengers in shorts and sandals on the MDR. To the OP ---- if you don't want to stand out, either board the ship in clothes that meet the dress code or pack it in your carry on. This actually isn't meant to comment on whether you should be able to go to dinner in shorts, just to say that you'll be in the minority if you do.

• Like 2