You've won the lottery

babs135

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I find it fascinating that when given a "what if" situation that some people would choose rather pedestrian cruises on mass market lines. Dream big, folks!

I mentioned this thread to Mrs. Dawg and she liked my multiple yachts idea. 

But she plans on flying ClooneyAir or PittAir rather than DawgAir. And apparently her yachts will all be christened Idris E. 

Look like she's taking your advice 😀

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Presumably the lottery win would be large enough that I could quit my job -- which is the main thing keeping me from some of my bucket-list itineraries currently.

(Also, to Texas Tillie's point I am more excited by itinerary than by cruise ship amenities, although I would rather travel on smaller ships that are a step up from mass market, all things being equal. I don't require a suite or a true luxury cruise to get maximum enjoyment though....)

Some itineraries on my bucket list include a visit to Easter Island, an expedition-type cruise to Greenland, and doing the full Hurtigruten ferry experience up the coast of Norway in both winter and summer. 

I'm not convinced I'd want to live on a cruise ship or take a world cruise. While I love to travel, when it comes to that length I think I'd rather stay in one place, rent an apartment and 'live like a local' in, say, Rome, or a smaller city in Italy.

• Like 1

It depends where cruising fits into your travel perspective.  In the aftermath of a large lottery win I can think of few things more boring than a lengthy world cruise visiting places that I could otherwise get to faster, where I could stay longer and in far better accommodations than even the best cruise ship.  

Cruising would be an option only for those regions where it makes practical sense and can't be easily visited otherwise.  So with a large lottery win on my agenda would be cruises on small luxury ships to the Arctic, Antarctica, perhaps an Amazon cruise, Galapagos, etc.  The closest I would come to a "cruise" would be a premium Cunard transatlantic and that is more properly considered a voyage than a cruise.

7 hours ago, fyree39 said:

OK, I'm somewhat changing my answer.  If it's just my husband and I, we'd still not cruise for more than 2 weeks. However, if we won the "big one," I'd book a week-long cruise on some pedestrian line (Royal? NCL?) for the entire family.  That would be 4 kids, their wives/husbands, 9 grandkids, my in-laws, various aunts, uncles and cousins and so forth.  I'd get them all balcony cabins, pay for excursions, specialty dinners, the works.

After that if any family member came to me expecting a handout, I could point to the cruise and say THAT's your handout. 🙂

Money has a way of ruining relationships, either way some will be upset, so you may as well do what makes you happy and do not worry about what others may want out of your winfall.

Looking at some of the mundane responses to this post, I find some of them very depressing.    For example, a back-to-back Mediterranean cruise or a Cunard cruise to England.  Remember - the budget is essentially unlimited.   

For starters, I might do a combined b2B northwest / northeast passage cruise if I could find one.   I would then follow it up with a full Antarctica circumnavigation cruise.  I know that at least one cruise company did one of those a few years back.  Don't know if they are still doing them,

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 4:28 AM, babs135 said:

Okay, a fun question;  you've won the lottery big time and now realise that you can take the cruise you've always dreamed about but couldn't afford.  Which one would it be?

For me it would be a world cruise in the Queens Grill on Cunard.

Over to you.

Hey Babs,

Where was this lottery we won? Was it where we each live, so in Canada for me, and I don't have to pay any income tax on it. Or was it in the U.S. and even a foreigner I would have to pay Uncle Sam some of it. 

Sorry for asking but Mrs. Dawg is a CPA and she’s also eyeing properties in outside London and at Lake Como Italy now for some reason and she needs to know what she's working with. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Hey Babs,

Where was this lottery we won? Was it where we each live, so in Canada for me, and I don't have to pay any income tax on it. Or was it in the U.S. and even a foreigner I would have to pay Uncle Sam some of it. 

Sorry for asking but Mrs. Dawg is a CPA and she’s also eyeing properties in outside London and at Lake Como Italy now for some reason and she needs to know what she's working with. 😉

You've won the Euro lottery. The biggest win was by someone from the UK who won £161 million, which I believe equates to just short of CAD 250 million !!!!!  Unlike the US where I think you cannot take the whole amount as a lump sum (?) here in the UK he would have been able to access it all.

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Hey Babs,

There is always one, isn't there.😆

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

You've won the Euro lottery. The biggest win was by someone from the UK who won £161 million, which I believe equates to just short of CAD 250 million !!!!!  Unlike the US where I think you cannot take the whole amount as a lump sum (?) here in the UK he would have been able to access it all.

Sounds good, if I won that much, I would donate $1million to fix up the gltiches on this CC website.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

Now if I won that much.

no one would know.

Id invest it fairly conservatively and have an income stream of about $125,000 a week.

I’d give a $120,000 of that away to worthy causes.

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Hey Babs,

In the UK the tax is "shouldered by the operator not the winner"- as one gambling firm puts it. So there's no tax on any winnings, however vast... which I remember on the first of every month as I hang about the door waiting for my £1 million from the Premium Bonds!😉

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

If I won that much I'd invest in bitcoin and cannabis stocks and turn that $250 million into $2 billion or so in no time at all. Then I’d buy the Toronto Maples Leafs and set the record as the oldest starting goaltender in NHL history.  And then, after setting another NHL record, the most goals against in a single NHL game, I'd sell the team and then go cruising. 😀

Ok, Ok, I'd go cruising after I got out of the hospital. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If I won that much I'd invest in bitcoin and cannabis stocks and turn that $250 million into $2 billion or so in no time at all. Then I’d buy the Toronto Maples Leafs and set the record as the oldest starting goaltender in NHL history.  And then, after setting another NHL record, the most goals against in a single NHL game, I'd sell the team and then go cruising. 😀

Ok, Ok, I'd go cruising after I got out of the hospital. 😉

Or you could just have CC members throw hockey pucks at you on a cruise ship, the best of both worlds.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, babs135 said:

Okay, a fun question;  you've won the lottery big time and now realise that you can take the cruise you've always dreamed about but couldn't afford.  Which one would it be?

For me it would be a world cruise in the Queens Grill on Cunard.

Over to you.

d w and I are with ya.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, GUT2407 said:

Now if I won that much.

no one would know.

Id invest it fairly conservatively and have an income stream of about $125,000 a week.

I’d give a $120,000 of that away to worthy causes.

Amen

How many times do you hear about people that won the big one and are now broke.

”Money won is sweeter than money earned “ but you need to hold on to that sweetness 

14 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Amen

”Money won is sweeter than money earned “ but you need to hold on to that sweetness 

I hope I get the chance to find out. Funny my family recently had a question on FB that started you just won a billion dollars what would you do? My answer was pretty much the same as here, but a few days later I asked the sister that started it, you said I’d won a billion, where the heck is it?

18 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Amen

Money won is also spent more frivolously than money earned.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I hope I get the chance to find out. Funny my family recently had a question on FB that started you just won a billion dollars what would you do? My answer was pretty much the same as here, but a few days later I asked the sister that started it, you said I’d won a billion, where the heck is it?

I bet she said something like show me the winning ticket and I will show you the money.