Here's why I'll never do a large ship again!

clo

7 hours ago, clo said:

And some of us don't care about any of those except the restaurants.  And Oceania's Marina if I'm counting correctly has seven...with no extra charges.

Oceania is a very nice cruise line , but the prices are often twice as much for an interior cabin as for a balcony on more middle-of =-the road lines. We're taking a 112 day ww cruise next year for only $ 17,500 including a wine and beer package.  Many have said I should just go with Viking or Oceania etc ... for only twice as much for our outside cabin. I was simply pointing out ways to feel comfortable on a big ship.  And I like many venues.

19 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

Oceania is a very nice cruise line , but the prices are often twice as much for an interior cabin as for a balcony on more middle-of =-the road lines. We're taking a 112 day ww cruise next year for only $ 17,500 including a wine and beer package.  Many have said I should just go with Viking or Oceania etc ... for only twice as much for our outside cabin. I was simply pointing out ways to feel comfortable on a big ship.  And I like many venues.

Oh my gosh,  a world cruise is on the bucket list! I am jealous...very nice price!

Have a great time, I have read that every world cruise cruise line does a great job.😊

How special for you.

I have been on a Oasis class ship, it seemed crowded all over to me but not to that extent. I am sure it was an event which I would not attended.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:39 AM, clo said:

And some of us don't care about any of those except the restaurants.  And Oceania's Marina if I'm counting correctly has seven...with no extra charges.

So true. I really tend to dislike the MDR on big ships, so paying a little extra for some better food is easy to us. I have never seen any kind of show on a cruise, and have zero desire to. No kids, so doesn't matter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

We always travel when kids are in school so that probably makes a difference.

Same here - we always travel during the shoulder seasons. The difference in crowd sizes (especially Europe) is much less in April or October than the height of the summer tourist season. The same for our European cruises - very few children on the ship.

Sometimes I wonder whether those who talk about large ships and small ships being equally crowded have ever sailed on small ships. Or maybe I've just chosen wisely...  I can certainly tell a difference in crowding between a 350 passenger and a 3,500 passenger ship at many different pain points such as embarking/disembarking at ports, MDR lines (Princess should be held to task for how they manage Anytime Dining on their largest ships), etc.  On a large ship, I may be able to find an uncrowded place somewhere on the ship if I don't want to be in a prime location. On a small ship I can almost always find an uncrowded place wherever I want to be.

At any rate, lack of crowding is only one reason why I prefer small ships. The main draw for me is usually itinerary, and small ships often have better ones -- because they have more ports available to them. Also, food and service are usually better. Another major plus is that you tend to see the same people numerous times and can often develop good friendships. As a corollary, I'm firmly convinced that people behave better on smaller ships. One is much more likely not to cut in line in front of someone in the buffet when there is every likelihood you may be on a tour with that person the next day or sitting next to them at the evening show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, donaldsc said:

What ship is this?  I consider anything greater than 1000 passengers to be way too large.

DON

I consider anything over 350 to be way too large!

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:37 AM, Bookish Angel said:

We have been on RCI's Oasis and Allure and found neither crowded.  We always travel when kids are in school so that probably makes a difference.

As for the crowd in this photo, that might mean other venues are blissfully uncrowded.  

We were on Oasis week after thanksgiving so children should have been in school but there was a lot of children.

On 7/4/2019 at 7:06 AM, ducklite said:

I consider anything over 350 to be way too large!

We just cancelled Ovation and switched to Allure.  5000 on Ovation and I think the ship is to small. Coming up on on our 5th Oasis class cruise  and they seem just right..  Funny as things change with time,  each lifeboat on Allure carries 370. happy cruising

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Funny as things change with time,  

each lifeboat on Allure carries 370. happy cruising

Oh does that ever sound like fun!

Three hundred and seventy of us, sitting cheek by jowl as they say.

Nooo air conditioning, the buffet is closed... C-rations anyone?

Maybe one Porta-Potty thingy -maybe even two!

Remember your deodorant! LOL!

Honestly I have nightmares about just-150 to a lifeboat

far less three hundred and seventy!

2 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Remember your deodorant!

150 in a lifeboat 370 in a lifeboat, if it gets to the point lifeboats are needed, I wanna go home

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

I believe they only load pinnacles to the 100 mark, they need to leave room for the open bar and card tables. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

I hope you don’t really think there would be Porta Potties in lifeboats.  The lifeboats are there only for a last resort in an extreme situation:  the ship is actually sinking or is on fire and no help is on hand.

Not only would you have to hang over the side (assuming configuration of the boat and sea conditions made it at all possible) or simply poop in place.

It would become very unpleasant very soon.

Worse still, they would not be honoring your drinks package.

Would any thinking person set foot on a cruise ship if he thought for a second that there was any real likelihood of his actually having to get into a lifeboat with several hundred of the sort of people who seem to frequent these boards?

• Haha 2

On 7/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Sometimes I wonder whether those who talk about large ships and small ships being equally crowded have ever sailed on small ships. Or maybe I've just chosen wisely...  I can certainly tell a difference in crowding between a 350 passenger and a 3,500 passenger ship at many different pain points such as embarking/disembarking at ports, MDR lines (Princess should be held to task for how they manage Anytime Dining on their largest ships), etc.  On a large ship, I may be able to find an uncrowded place somewhere on the ship if I don't want to be in a prime location. On a small ship I can almost always find an uncrowded place wherever I want to be.

At any rate, lack of crowding is only one reason why I prefer small ships. The main draw for me is usually itinerary, and small ships often have better ones -- because they have more ports available to them. Also, food and service are usually better. Another major plus is that you tend to see the same people numerous times and can often develop good friendships. As a corollary, I'm firmly convinced that people behave better on smaller ships. One is much more likely not to cut in line in front of someone in the buffet when there is every likelihood you may be on a tour with that person the next day or sitting next to them at the evening show.

It is also worth noting that on a small ship which you have chosen for its characteristics, you will be among a couple of hundred people who most likely have similar tastes and interests - rather than several thousand, many of whom will want a very different experience.  Of course you will be more likely to enjoy interacting, if not actually developing good friendships, with a significant portion of your shipmates.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is also worth noting that on a small ship which you have chosen for its characteristics, you will be among a couple of hundred people who most likely have similar tastes and interests - rather than several thousand, many of whom will want a very different experience.  Of course you will be more likely to enjoy interacting, if not actually developing good friendships, with a significant portion of your shipmates.

You just described what I'm looking forward to on Oceania.  Kindred spirits.  Thanks, NBT.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, ed01106 said:

If one area of a ship is super crowded, than there are other areas of the ship that are almost deserted.  If you want to find a quiet spot you can find it.

Exactly.  I avoid the main pool area and can find a quieter less crowded spot on the deck above working towards the aft on the smokeless side.  There's always my balcony as well.

And while I don't do rock walls, surfing or race cars, those attractions tend to spread out the crowds, leaving less folk in the "less favorable" places that I frequent.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:46 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The “ship within a ship” does not match the feel of the older smaller ships —- and, for the budget-minded who are kept out of certain areas, there is the constant reminder that they are second class.

We have sailed two times on MSC, but never in the Yacht Club. Not because we couldn't afford it, we just don't think that it's VFM. 

• Like 1