Portside BBQ

19 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They will just use a microwave for the pre-packaged meats....🙄

Who said it was going to be good?🤔

Pre-packaged meats?! Come on dude really???! I suggest you take a galley tour on your next cruise as it’s obvious you don’t know what’s going on in there! 

On some Carnival ships they offer "BBQ". Day time on port days,so they can stick out a fake smoker.  Evenings at a charge per item.   The meat is slow cooked in the main kitchen. smoked flavoring added, sauce available.  It's not Arthur Bryants, Franklins, Louie Mueller, Corky's, Paynes, or even 12 Bones.  Would rank below bottom 10 joints in any of the top BBQ states.  Links tend to be okay.  Ribs so-so, brisket a no-no. Chicken is basically baked chicken wit BBQ sauce. Don't get me started on the sides.

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

On some Carnival ships they offer "BBQ". Day time on port days,so they can stick out a fake smoker.  Evenings at a charge per item.   The meat is slow cooked in the main kitchen. smoked flavoring added, sauce available.  It's not Arthur Bryants, Franklins, Louie Mueller, Corky's, Paynes, or even 12 Bones.  Would rank below bottom 10 joints in any of the top BBQ states.  Links tend to be okay.  Ribs so-so, brisket a no-no. Chicken is basically baked chicken wit BBQ sauce. Don't get me started on the sides.

On sea days they do it on the dream class ships and vista class. I agree it is not real BBQ.  The sides are your southern sides, like Mac and cheese , and potatoe salad but not anything good. 

10 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

And lots of chemicals.... 🙄 😱

Uhhhh, no.   I dont even know why Im bothering to reply to you but you are clueless on this one. The pellets are just compressed hardwood "sawdust" held together by the natural lignin of wood.   The wood chips are just that.  Chipped up hardwood.   

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:19 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

how can you have good bbq without open flame/smoking the meats? 

FLAME?????  NEVER.

BBQ is about SLOW cooking.  Coals, not flame.

Yes to the smoke.  But the smoke comes from heating wood, not burning it.  It does not really matter where the heat comes from.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, spookwife said:

We have an electric smoker, and a Big Green Egg.  The electric produces good results.  The Egg produces excellent results.  

Mine is propane and it too produces excellent results. Nothing like good smokes meat.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They will just use a microwave for the pre-packaged meats....🙄

Who said it was going to be good?🤔

I went on a carnival ship 2 years ago with the guy’s pig and anchor bbq. 

To me the Meat didn’t taste smoked at all. Didn’t have a smoke ring just tasted like it was grilled . Then again nothing on that ship tasted good except for the burgers and the tacos/burritos.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ryano said:

Electric smokers using either pellets or wood chips.   

You are so right.

When we did the ships tour on the Allure a few weeks back they told us on the kitchen part of the tour, that none of the kitchens or cooking areas on board , will ever have flame.  All the kitchens use electric burners of some type.  No flames lesser risk of fire.

Also he told us watch if anyone has a birthday or anniversary celebration on board.  After they blow out their candle, the crew will take it back...........(just stating what he said to reduce risk of fire).

On 7/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, taglovestocruise said:

There’s nothing quite like a good smoked cut of meat.

Whether it’s a perfectly done brisket or fresh filet of salmon, there’s something about that smoky flavor.

But smoking isn’t easy.

You need charcoal and wood and lots of time.

Right?

The good news is: electric smokers have made smoking a whole lot easier.

Before you balk at an electric appliance producing flavors anywhere near what a charcoal smoker could achieve, just remember that this model have come a long way. Many of them are now putting out smoked flavor that rivals more traditional methods.

Of course this comes from the electric smoker industry, it could be skewed. 

We have an electric smoker.  We usually add soaked wood chips when we use it.  Just as good as far as I am concerned.  I use it all the time for salmon and beer can chicken. Not to mention brisket.  

28 minutes ago, orlandok said:

Just hook up the restaurant to the ship's exhaust that runs through that area.

Boom. Real smoke BBQ. 🙂

Not only a new revenue stream, but a simultaneous cost cutting move.  No more scrubbers needed to process the bunker fuel emissions, since it will all be absorbed by the meat.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Carnival does... and it was fantastic on the Horizon, and free for lunch on sea days. I do wonder how this will compare as the burgers at JR's are nowhere near as good as Guy's, and IMO - El Loco Fresh does not come close to the Blue Iguana Cantina.

We shall see.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nobody knows until they have tried it. I would think Royal is not going to invest that much money without doing some homework. So lets wait and see. It may turn out to be pretty good. It may not be top notch like true BBQ restaurants but with BBQ and smoked meats dominating the restaurant market its worth a try. The question I have is will they add it to the Symphony of the Seas ship in the near future.

Edited by lojill
update

2 hours ago, lojill said:

Nobody knows until they have tried it. I would think Royal is not going to invest that much money without doing some homework. So lets wait and see. It may turn out to be pretty good. It may not be top notch like true BBQ restaurants but with BBQ and smoked meats dominating the restaurant market its worth a try. The question I have is will they add it to the Symphony of the Seas ship in the near future.

At her drydock in 2023 would be the most likely time

I can't speak to the upcoming Portside BBQ, but you can safely smoke meat electrically on a cruise ship without an open flame. it's what NCL does for their Q restaurants.

“Q, located on Deck 6 of the Norwegian Bliss where the Supper Club is on the Norwegian Escape, was enabled by a new cooking technique with which meats can be authentically smoked onboard within safety rules, a Norwegian spokeswoman said.”

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Smoked-on-the-water

On 7/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

This is my wheel house. If I'm not on here planning my next cruise, I'm hopping around meat smoking forums!

There are electric smokers. There are also electric powered pellet smokers (which I have) that burns small wood pellets. The real question is if using an electric smoker, will the "smoldering wood chips" that are needed to produce the smoke flavor would be allowed? 

Other options I can think of are prepping it on shore and reheating on the ship using something like a sous vide method or "cheating" using something like liquid smoke. 🤢

No matter how it's done, without being able to actually burn wood to create smoke, it will be very hard to replicate a good BBQ restaurant (or what me and many of us do at home)... 😀 Smoked meat is a very different process than how meat in places like Chops is prepared...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Enchantment did charcoal cooking on the pool deck 2-3 years ago. Put a big mat down and had fire extinguishers next to fire.  Set up in the area across from the bar

I remember that!  Lots of room on that big pool deck and nice layout.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, little britain said:

Not a fan of cooking smells round the pool and dirty plates and cutlery lying around...so it’s a no from me.  jmho. 

1980's and 90's Royal Caribbean ships had multiple Barbecues at pool ever week, usually every Sea Day. They used Open Flame cooking Meats. Was also many short tables by lounge chairs about 1 for ever 4 chairs. Nice keep things from getting wet off the Deck, Drinks, Plates and of course many many Ashtrays everywhere...

Edited by ONECRUISER