New Cruiser nightmares πŸ˜β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

POF1234

Couple of facts about me;Β  I am a planner.Β  I plan plan plan.Β  I have only been on one cruise and that was a 8 years ago.Β Β 

Β 

We are going to Alaska in 31 days woo hoo.Β  I keep having these "nightmares"Β 

Β 

I convinced myself the other day while driving in to work that I had booked my excursions on the wrong day / port.Β Β 

I dreamed the other night that we were in Juneau and got onto the wrong ship, but couldn;t find our way off again.Β 

Β 

Β 

Anyone else have nightmares :)Β 

POFΒ 

Β 

Don't worry too much about such responses.Β  A lot of folks on this boardΒ love to talk about all kinds of things.Β  I'm sure you'll get a lot of positive replies.

Β 

Anyway, I have cruised 10 times and still occasionally have nightmares.Β  About a week after we got off our last cruise I dreamed we were checking in for another one and I had left my passport at home.Β  Pretty scary.

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

Β 

Β 

I convinced myself the other day while driving in to work that I had booked my excursions on the wrong day / port.Β Β 

I dreamed the other night that we were in Juneau and got onto the wrong ship, but couldn;t find our way off again.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I've actually done something like that in the Canary Islands.Β 

Booked a rental car for the port ofΒ Las Palmas on Gran Canaria.Β 

On arrival they couldn't find my booking.

They eventuallyΒ traced it - I'd mistakenly booked it for the island of La PalmaΒ :classic_rolleyes:

Β 

Hope I haven't given you any more nightmaresΒ :classic_tongue:

Β 

JBΒ :classic_smile:

Β 

• Haha 2

Your sub conscience does weird things.....when I was pregnant with my 1st child, I kept dreaming (nightmaring) that I'd leave him on top of the car as I drove away, or forgot him in the grocery store basket........guess what...I never lost my child!

You will have a fine vacation!

Β 

I used to always have those dreams.Β  I was there, but didn't bring any luggage.Β  I was on the ship but hadn't checked in and didn't have any paperwork, didn't know cabin number...Β  I got off the ship and couldn't find the way back on....Β  I didn't bring any luggage...Β  I have these dreams even when I don't have a trip booked.Β  I often put myself to sleep at night mentally packing my suitcase...Β  EM

I always worry that I booked the wrong dates for my flight. Until I have checked in to the flight I will keep looking up my flight details in case I misread the dates and still haven't noticed. It is my wierd paranoiaπŸ€ͺ.Β 

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Somewhat related...I worry that I made the flight or hotel reservations onΒ the wrong day...

Β 

I actually did that on our last cruise.Β  Made and double checked my hotel reservations and still got them on the wrong date for our return.

I check and double check the details, then if all looks good, I'm off planning or researching the next vacation or cruise.Β 

Β 

Perhaps when I get into my late 70's I'll have someone else check what I booked {Tasmania excursion on Melbourne port day, yikes!}, but until then I'm good like Alfred E. Neumann, what me worry?Β  Nah.

5 hours ago, gooch47 said:

We did show up one day too early for a cruise.Β  Much better than showing up a day late, though.

Β 

My husband recently went to pick up our son from the airport.Β  He was a day early.Β  Sat there for a long time and then texted son - who was still in Puerto Rico !Β 

Β 

Day early is better than a day late for sure.Β 

I think the main thing is go with flow....... Oh yes I am a planner as well as......

Β 

But after our first cruise, ( rough weather, missed ports ) we had a great time and just chilled out....

Β 

Cruising is just so relaxing.... Please don't worry about anything and relax.... enjoy having everything done for you....

Β 

I am shore you will enjoy yourselves..... A tip do not try to do everything...

Β 

Cheers Don

Thank you,Β 

Β 

I tend to be a good planner (2 weeks in France - traveling from the west to eat to Paris - went off without a hitch).Β  Some of the best vacations were when we were trapped inside during very bad weatherΒ 

Β 

I am really looking forward to this trip, while I love land travel and my husband and I love exploring off the beaten path, it will be nice to be waited on.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Please make sure you have your correct travel documents (passports, birth certificates, etc).Β  It does happen that when passengers arrive at the pier and get out their passports that they realize to their horror they accidentally grabbed their child's passport, or brought their expired passport by mistake.Β  Happens more than you can imagine.

I have had the same nightmare prior to all 6 of our previous cruises. As much as I plan and make lists, I always think I have forgotten something, usually regarding documents, until we are successfully on the ship. Then it goes away!!!

• Like 1

Panic planningΒ is in my nature as well...I have finally feel Ok after many winter cruises in and out of Florida able to calm down a few worries but not crushing sleepless nightmare panic. This summer is our first starter Europe cruise and I am a mess! Non stop panic about every little detail, dog care, drive to airport, parking, flight, the list goes on and on....I feel yourΒ pain! My plan ( and there is one) arrive many hours early at airport nicer lunch, and pray the rest goes well!

Edited by tobyt
Spelling

My Dad was a planner.Β  He would make packing lists MONTHS in advance.Β  Revising, updating, obsessing.

Β 

I would pack the day of departure.Β  Β One trip, I missed something.Β  Big deal, it was in the US, hit the store, done.

Β 

He gave me a hard time about it, until I pointed out that this was the first time in many trips I had missed packing something.Β  And he missed something EVERY trip. πŸ˜„

Β 

And again, if in the US or many other parts of the world, they have STORES. πŸ˜„

Β 

Heck, I even have showed up at the airport for a 3PM flight to find out I had misread my itinerary and it was a 1PM flight.Β  Oh well, re-booked to a later flight, and still got to where I was going.Β  Now, I agree, that if I had been flying in, just before a cruise, that would have been an issue.Β  But then again, I would not fly in the day of a cruise. πŸ˜„

Β 

• Thanks 1

We just had this on a trip to see my son graduate from a military boot camp.Β  Flights were canceled left and right, hotel messed up and car rental was a disaster.Β 

Β 

We ended up flying home a day later and spent a bonus day at the beach. All good :)Β 

No.Β  We don't sweat the small stuff.Β 

Β 

Since retiring we have moved from very structured travel, business and personal,Β  to very spontaneous travel with carry on only.Β  We find that 'letting go'Β  greatlyΒ  enhanced our travel experience.Β  It is not the bumps that count but rather how you handle them and not let them interfere with your enjoyment.Β  Better to 'bob and weave' between the minor upsets than loose your rag and have a fit.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I don't have night mares but I suppose the more you plan the more control you need to stick with those plans and murphy's law will work against you. I plan for the larger parts of a holiday but always plan with some flexibility to amend or change those plans if needed. In other words don't try and micromanage the holiday.

On land vacations, my level of comfort is to have a room booked for each night.Β  We like to be somewhat flexible.Β  But want the comfort of a booked room.

Β 

My parents used to get on a plane (military space available), and getting off where ever it went, finding a rental car, and off they would go.

Β 

OTOH, I know of people who can tell you when and where they will have lunch on the 5th day.Β Β 

Β 

Do what makes you happy.

Β