Noise cancellation items?

pampaul

I'm the type of person who needs a fan to fall asleep.  I have tried bringing a small fan onboard a couple times and both times they were taken away and I was not allowed to bring them (not sure which cruise line it was).  We're looking at booking a cruise next year with either Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.  

Just curious what everyone else brings to use to help fall asleep (noise wise).  Whether it's a small fan or maybe something else that I haven't even heard of.  

28 minutes ago, pampaul said:

I'm the type of person who needs a fan to fall asleep.  I have tried bringing a small fan onboard a couple times and both times they were taken away and I was not allowed to bring them (not sure which cruise line it was).  We're looking at booking a cruise next year with either Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.  

Just curious what everyone else brings to use to help fall asleep (noise wise).  Whether it's a small fan or maybe something else that I haven't even heard of.  

There's many smart phone apps for this.

• Like 1

The USB fan is a workable idea. If you have a tablet or smartphone you could download an app with white house or some other relaxing sound. I have one that plays water sounds and use it every night. It took DH about a week to get use to it and not need to get up to the bathroom. Lol.

4 hours ago, pampaul said:

There are apps available for your phone that will simulate the noise as well as an actual device (like a fan).

9 hours ago, pampaul said:

Strange.  Did they say why they confiscated it?

DON

10 hours ago, pampaul said:

When ships are being built or renovated, there are often crewmembers living onboard with minimal creature comforts (like aircon). In order to make the environment more people friendly, the cruise line purchases dozens (or hundreds) of electric fans to place in crew areas.

After the ship leaves the yard, these fans are placed in onboard storage until the  next dry dock.

Any guests who have a need for an electric fan can simply request one from the Housekeeper or the Front Desk.

Edited by BruceMuzz

15 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

I bring disposable foam ear plugs that I purchase at hardware stores. They are quite effective. I use a pair for a week and simply dispose of them in the trash and grab a new pair

Ear plugs.JPG

This is what I take...more so to block DH's snoring than anything else....😊

You need a noise machine. I have a small one that is an alarm clock also. You can switch between different sounds, waves, creek, birds and some have a white noise sound. It's like a fan. I got mine from Sharper Image, a little on the high $ side. It is small and works for me.

We have a small white noise machine that we use at home. Got it from Amazon. When we travel, I use a white noise app on my Android phone. It's called simply White Noise, and it's free. The app has many different sounds available on it.

We use this at home for the kids' room and also have one we travel with. It can be plugged in or use batteries. We use it in battery mode on the ship and we never hear any of the noise around us. 

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Relaxing-Soothing-Operated-Auto-Off/dp/B013KH2H0A/ref=sr_1_53?keywords=white+noise+machine&qid=1565024104&s=gateway&sr=8-53

On 8/4/2019 at 11:18 PM, BruceMuzz said:

When ships are being built or renovated, there are often crewmembers living onboard with minimal creature comforts (like aircon). In order to make the environment more people friendly, the cruise line purchases dozens (or hundreds) of electric fans to place in crew areas.

After the ship leaves the yard, these fans are placed in onboard storage until the  next dry dock.

Any guests who have a need for an electric fan can simply request one from the Housekeeper or the Front Desk.

Celebrity says "no can do" to such requests.   SIL asked for one on Infinity is the only reason I know this.   So maybe varies by company.  Or, for all I know, maybe by ship.   

We are also fan-lovers.  ONCE we got a box fan on Carnival, but since then, have always been declined on Princess and NCL.  One steward said they could be requested from disability services, but that was it.

Don't know if it's because they don't have enough for everyone, it's a PITA for stewards, they mess with climate control, or that a couple of naughty types used them to push cigarette or pot smoke out the window, and ruined it for all of us.

Let's blame the naughty ones.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:00 PM, pampaul said:

The fan we take is a battery fan. Never been refused.

I always take a small desktop fan on Royal, it's never been a problem.  Mine is similar to this one, it's a regular electric fan, not battery or USB powered.  

Check the prohibited items list for whatever line you're looking at.  Royal doesn't prohibit fans.