The Bridge Says “Bye” as Two Passengers Miss the Ship - Wonder how Long They Waited?

mnocket

It's sad that the title of the article is so inaccurate.  If you just look at the video, you would think that was the case. But it was just bad timing.  The other ship next to the Freedom of the sea also had a hand with Bye on it.  They were waving to each other not the pier runners.  

Just wait, there will be some kind of "Righteous Indignation" post from someone.  I'm getting my popcorn ready.  I hope I won't need it. 

You'll notice the person on the Freedom's bridge wing was behind the bridge wing projection, and the pier runners were far in front of the bow of the ship, so that person couldn't even see the pier runners.

• Like 4

Which is why a picture or even a short vid clip is sometimes not proof of anything, especially if the poster gives his misinterpretation of it.

When I saw this article slanted towards a derision of the pier runners, I thought it was faked.  Then I thought it was just one ship saying so long to the other, as we often wave from on deck or our balcony when leaving port.

For this to be really a slap at the late pax, think a bit about the hand sign and why the Captain or officer of the bridge would allow it to be present.

...and just a different slant on the thread title question, how long would an airplane, or train, or bus wait for a late passenger before they would continue on their committed schedule?  I am certain the ship would be the one to wait the longest of those.  I have been on several ships that did so for delayed passengers at a given port of call until they had no choice but to leave.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and just a different slant on the thread title question, how long would an airplane, or train, or bus wait for a late passenger before they would continue on their committed schedule?  I am certain the ship would be the one to wait the longest of those.  I have been on several ships that did so for delayed passengers at a given port of call until they had no choice but to leave.

This is so true.  If you are late for a bus, plane, or train, you are SOL.  Many ships I have been on have been late leaving because they waited for late arrivals.

The article said, "Two cruise ship passengers from Freedom of the Seas just missed the ship by moments on Monday in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. The Royal Caribbean ship was just moving away from the pier as the two of them looked annoyed with themselves."

Since the all-aboard time tends to be a half hour before the ship actually sets sail,  I don't think that it's accurate to say that the passengers missed the ship by moments.

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I have been on airplanes , trains, and buses that have waited for passengers sometimes for hours.   However,  the vast majority of times it was because a connecting flight, train or bus was running late.  

Which is why I use the cruise line booked air if flying in same day and cruise line shore excursions if traveling afar in areas known for traffic or other transportations issues.   

A common misconception is that if you are on a ship sponsored excursion or book air through the cruise line they will always wait for you. Sometimes this is simply not possible for a variety of reasons. They will, however, take responsibility for getting you to the next port. 

7 minutes ago, gerif said:

A common misconception is that if you are on a ship sponsored excursion or book air through the cruise line they will always wait for you. Sometimes this is simply not possible for a variety of reasons. They will, however, take responsibility for getting you to the next port. 

True, not 100% guaranteed. But I have never heard of a single incident were a ship left behind a person on their own excursion.  And only know of one couple who missed a ship taking cruise air and their flight didn't arrive to Miami until 11 pm for a 4pm cruise.  And I know of people who have missed ships when not booked thru cruise by being an hour late.  So not “always” but “almost always”. I like my odds much better that way.

2 hours ago, ed01106 said:

I have been on airplanes , trains, and buses that have waited for passengers sometimes for hours.   However,  the vast majority of times it was because a connecting flight, train or bus was running late.  

Which is why I use the cruise line booked air if flying in same day and cruise line shore excursions if traveling afar in areas known for traffic or other transportations issues.   

I would have to say in the case of an airplane it would always be due to a late connecting flight, or weather delays, and the flight waiting is usually the last leg of that day's segments.  In years of business and personal air travel have never experienced any airplane waiting for any length of time - certainly not hours - for a passenger simply arriving late to the gate for a flight.  I have experienced passengers arriving to the gate after the boarding door is closed and - similar to cruise ships - watched as that flight took off without them.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would have to say in the case of an airplane it would always be due to a late connecting flight, or weather delays, and the flight waiting is usually the last leg of that day's segments.  In years of business and personal air travel have never experienced any airplane waiting for any length of time - certainly not hours - for a passenger simply arriving late to the gate for a flight.  I have experienced passengers arriving to the gate after the boarding door is closed and - similar to cruise ships - watched as that flight took off without them.

What I am referring to is my flight was my flight was Miami to Nassau, I boarded on time, we sat for 65 minutes because 20 passengers scheduled to be on that flight was on a delayed flight out of Chicago. Once that flight landed and they got on board we left.  Yes we were the last flight from Miami to Nassau that day and the airline preferred to delay 45 of us for a little over an hour than have 20 passengers that needed overnight accommodations.  

Similar thing with trains up to 3 hours.

And of course cruise ships waiting for flights.

My point being is if the same entity is responsible for both legs....connecting flights on same airline or air purchased thru cruise there is a decent chance the second leg will wait for you.  If purchased independently....not so much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

My point being is if the same entity is responsible for both legs....connecting flights on same airline or air purchased thru cruise there is a decent chance the second leg will wait for you.  If purchased independently....not so much.

My understanding is the same, but I might put it a little differently.    If connecting flights are purchased on the same itinerary then the airline is going to have to either hold so the connection can be made or make alternate travel arrangements (usually the latter).  If purchased as two separate itineraries, then you are on your own.  

By the way, I'm one of those that Leaveitallbehind was talking about.  I literally watched our connecting flight in Zurich back away from the gate.   We waived to the pilot from the window.  Ended up spending the night courtesy Swiss air and taking a connecting flight in the morning.   

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

What I am referring to is my flight was my flight was Miami to Nassau, I boarded on time, we sat for 65 minutes because 20 passengers scheduled to be on that flight was on a delayed flight out of Chicago. Once that flight landed and they got on board we left.  Yes we were the last flight from Miami to Nassau that day and the airline preferred to delay 45 of us for a little over an hour than have 20 passengers that needed overnight accommodations.  

Similar thing with trains up to 3 hours.

And of course cruise ships waiting for flights.

I have never experienced planes or trains waiting for late passengers unless it was a charter for a group activity. To make 45 people wait for over an hour on a commercial flight or public train for late passengers is extremely inconsiderate to those who were on time.  Waiting for three hours is even worse. The time of everyone on board is just as valuable as those who are late. It is unconscionable to make so many people suffer for just a few. 

Edited by sloopsailor

14 hours ago, ed01106 said:

True, not 100% guaranteed. But I have never heard of a single incident were a ship left behind a person on their own excursion.  And only know of one couple who missed a ship taking cruise air and their flight didn't arrive to Miami until 11 pm for a 4pm cruise.  And I know of people who have missed ships when not booked thru cruise by being an hour late.  So not “always” but “almost always”. I like my odds much better that way.

I do remember reading on CC about people being left behind in Alaska that were on a ship sponsored tour.  It had to do with tides.  The ship HAD to leave.  I remember the people affected had nothing but good things to say about how it was handled.  It was a Princess ship if I remember correctly.

10 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I have never experienced planes or trains waiting for late passengers unless it was a charter for a group activity. To make 45 people wait for over an hour on a commercial flight or public train for late passengers is extremely inconsiderate to those who were on time.  Waiting for three hours is even worse. The time of everyone on board is just as valuable as those who are late. It is unconscionable to make so many people suffer for just a few. 

Well, it does happen....we sat on the tarmac for over 1 hour, waiting on a late connecting flight.....and THAT caused US to miss OUR next connection...we spent the night in the Denver Airport...the only restaurant was a sandwich place.....no lodging vouchers...nothing.  Worst flight I've ever had.

11 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Well, it does happen....we sat on the tarmac for over 1 hour, waiting on a late connecting flight.....and THAT caused US to miss OUR next connection...we spent the night in the Denver Airport...the only restaurant was a sandwich place.....no lodging vouchers...nothing.  Worst flight I've ever had.

Now THAT would really make me angry. You missed your connection so other passengers wouldn't miss theirs. Really lousy for you that trip. My sympathies. 

23 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

The article said, "Two cruise ship passengers from Freedom of the Seas just missed the ship by moments on Monday in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. The Royal Caribbean ship was just moving away from the pier as the two of them looked annoyed with themselves."

Since the all-aboard time tends to be a half hour before the ship actually sets sail,  I don't think that it's accurate to say that the passengers missed the ship by moments.

+1

DON

56 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

42 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Now THAT would really make me angry. You missed your connection so other passengers wouldn't miss theirs. Really lousy for you that trip. My sympathies. 

That would make me angry to....but I am guess the passengers that the flight was held for had a single booking with one airline and cb had two different bookings with two different airlines.  

On 8/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, mnocket said:

I hope this never happens to me (DW would kill me).

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-bridge-says-bye-as-two-passengers-miss-the-cruise-ship/33381

When I first the picture I couldn't believe the bridge would actually taunt the stragglers like that.  After reading the article it turns out they didn't.  

On every sailaway I can remember when leaving dock, passing by a boat, other cruise ship would always see someone waving at us, sometimes I'd wave back sometimes not, such a universal well-wishing farewell, there is nothing negative or insidious in a crewmemer waving.

As to missing the ship, any cruise veteran knows they announce sailing time and they keep to it, cruisers should plan to be aboard before sailing  or only blame themselves if they miss.  No different than train, bus, airplane, where is self accountability for ramifications of one's own failing and it's impact?

On 8/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, mnocket said:

I hope this never happens to me (DW would kill me).

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-bridge-says-bye-as-two-passengers-miss-the-cruise-ship/33381

When I first the picture I couldn't believe the bridge would actually taunt the stragglers like that.  After reading the article it turns out they didn't.  

No she won't kill you. You will just have a great adventure to talk about for years to come. 😀

Years ago we missed the last train of the evening from Paris to London. It was totally our fault, I mean it was Mrs. Dawg's fault. 😉  Sure, it was a bit stressful finding accommodations late at night and a restaurant to feed the kids, and toiletries etc. And it cost us an extra few hundred, OK, an extra many hundred Euro's, but today even the kids, who are now all grown up, talk about our great Paris adventure. 😀

Edited by DirtyDawg