Working For Royal

I was wondering if you get a job working for Royal Onboard and being the cruise aficionado can you sail Royal during your time off and earn C&A points for paying your own way perhaps with discounts? 

Let's say you are Diamond with Royal and during your time off you want to cruise with your relatives can you use the Diamond Lounge? 

I wonder what percentage of employees actually have C&A status before joining? Would it help to be a previous guest so you know both sides of the trade? 

For instance if the CEO sails with his family do they have C&A status or does their SailPass read Pinnacle or VIP? Do they stay in the Grand Suite and use the lounge and three drinks per night and have the same Dinng and Gratuities like us? Would they eat at the same tables as normal guests? I've always wondered this. 

Thanks 

32 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I was wondering if you get a job working for Royal Onboard and being the cruise aficionado can you sail Royal during your time off and earn C&A points for paying your own way perhaps with discounts? 

Let's say you are Diamond with Royal and during your time off you want to cruise with your relatives can you use the Diamond Lounge? 

I wonder what percentage of employees actually have C&A status before joining? Would it help to be a previous guest so you know both sides of the trade? 

For instance if the CEO sails with his family do they have C&A status or does their SailPass read Pinnacle or VIP? Do they stay in the Grand Suite and use the lounge and three drinks per night and have the same Dinng and Gratuities like us? Would they eat at the same tables as normal guests? I've always wondered this. 

Thanks 

MB was in an OS the time we sailed with him on Freedom Presidents Cruise. He and his family were just a couple of doors down. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, anewell28 said:

good question, have wondered this as well. Following to see what is said.

I also wonder if this would apply to a worker at the port of departure..

I am guessing port side workers are contractors, so they can have status without issues.

For ship side non American or non officer workers, most of them just want to get back home to visit with their families and don't want to spend the money for their family  to fly to the ship

From listening to American workers (think entertainment) on-board ship they also want to head back home and really don't want to "take a cruise" during their off-contract time.  Having a family member/friend take a cruise while they are on-board happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Pretty sure if you are American, your only employment options will be  either entertainer, or office work....

Why is that? If an American was willing to be a cabin steward why would RCI not allow it? BTW, I have met Americans working on the sports staff.

When a crew member sails as a passenger, they are a classified as a passenger.  We know crew members who have sailed on Royal for their vacation (on a different ship than their job) and they are treated just like any passenger-same perks, requirements, etc.  (And just like any passenger, they are not allowed to visit in any of the crew areas.)

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Pretty sure if you are American, your only employment options will be  either entertainer, or office work....

Not true. A friend of my son worked on a cruise ship as a  kid's counselor for Disney cruises. He has a degree in teaching. He sailed one contract and now is back home teaching in a public school.

I know a few officers (more than 2.5 stripes which gives them their own cabin) They can have family and friends stay in their cabins very cheap...like $10/night. They get no C&A credits for these sailings.

I can't imagine anyone that I know sign on for an 8 month contract working 7 days a week....this takes some special very dedicated people...I know I could never do it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, robandana said:

I know a few officers (more than 2.5 stripes which gives them their own cabin) They can have family and friends stay in their cabins very cheap...like $10/night. They get no C&A credits for these sailings.

I can't imagine anyone that I know sign on for an 8 month contract working 7 days a week....this takes some special very dedicated people...I know I could never do it.

I would love to work as an Accessibility Officer onboard liasoning between the Special Needs Department Shoreside and onboard working with the various departments and conducting Accessibility training sessions etc.

For me if I worked for Royal I would love to vacation on the cruiseship. I am 0.01 percent who would do so!  I mean I would still join Roll Calls and have so much fun on vacation and have my family join me!  

We sailed on Indy when she was literally brand spanking new. At our table in the MDR was a lady who worked for RCL as part of the CD's staff (on other ships). She was sailing with her mother. RCL had offered some staff the chance to try out the new ship as guests, at a reduced rate.

I think all those here who are thinking about getting a job on the ship should go for it.

It would be great to hear the stories after your one & only voyage.

Because you would not last a full week.   Most would probably fly home mid-week.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I think all those here who are thinking about getting a job on the ship should go for it.

Because you would not last a full week.   Most would probably fly home mid-week.....

Then we would finally know the answer to the question of "Does my state attendent get to keep the extra tips I give him?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Does anyone know if family members of staff get a good rate if ships have spare capacity? Still looking at Indy on 26th Sept. A month ago there was 270+ cabins available and these hardly moved over last four weeks. Then over night, last night they dropped capacity by 20+. Still over 200 rooms available but wonder why the sudden drop in capacity (rate has actually gone up last 24 hours). Wondered if it was being offered to crew families at knock down rate? 

Edited by sgmn

57 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Judging by some of the snarky replies on CC boards some would be fired the first day and have to pay their way home. I bussed tables as a teen and that was more than enough for me.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Does anyone know if family members of staff get a good rate if ships have spare capacity? Still looking at Indy on 26th Sept. A month ago there was 270+ cabins available and these hardly moved over last four weeks. Then over night, last night they dropped capacity by 20+. Still over 200 rooms available but wonder why the sudden drop in capacity (rate has actually gone up last 24 hours). Wondered if it was being offered to crew families at knock down rate? 

There are 3 rates for Officer/crew family, depending if they are an officer and how many stripes.  Also would depend on it they are in an passenger cabin or a officer cabin.  Non-revenue do not get C & A points.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gatour said:

I am guessing port side workers are contractors, so they can have status without issues.

For ship side non American or non officer workers, most of them just want to get back home to visit with their families and don't want to spend the money for their family  to fly to the ship

From listening to American workers (think entertainment) on-board ship they also want to head back home and really don't want to "take a cruise" during their off-contract time.  Having a family member/friend take a cruise while they are on-board happens.

Yes, port side workers are contracted.  Depending on the cruiseline some do offer "free" cruises.  Other than that they can go on a friends and family rate.

Having a son who works on a Royal ship as an entertainer, I would think it would be a rather odd crew member who would want to vacation aboard a cruise ship.  After having slept on a moving ship for 6-9 months, all he wants is his freedom!  Can any of you imagine vacationing at work?  Yikes!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gatour said:

A friend of mine and his wife were entertainers on mainly Royal out of FL.

Entertainers are a bit different, in that they get a regular passenger cabin.  And can eat in all the passenger venues.  But also have access to crew spaces and crew dining and drinking.

So their non--performing time, is just like being on a cruise as a passenger.  So they get PLENTY of "cruising."  No desire to do more. 😄

17 hours ago, travelplus said:

For instance if the CEO sails with his family do they have C&A status or does their SailPass read Pinnacle or VIP?

I’d imagine when the CEO sails, it’s working time. Like anyone in that position he’s a multimillionaire. His vacation time will be spent somewhere a bit more exclusive than a cruise ship. And I’m saying that as someone who loves cruising.