Anytime Dining: Are You Sharing or Table For 2?

need2cruisesoon

All depends on how many specialty dining nights we have. Love a large table with lots of conversation.  If we are only doing 2 specialty restaurants we go for late traditional large table.  Last 14 night cruise we had 11 specialty dining nights so we went for MTD as it would be rude to not show up 11 times.  Lunch or breakfast is always a table for 2 .  Always sit with a group in the Diamond Lounge. Sit by ourselves in the bars unless it is trivia time.  Most cruises we are at one of the very last tables to leave. 

That picture of a dining room is absolutely awful the way the tables are set up, much prefer Oasis class dining.

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.e88cd53aff6b98ad76c0a5fc7b412e34.JPG

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

All depends on how many specialty dining nights we have. Love a large table with lots of conversation.  If we are only doing 2 specialty restaurants we go for late traditional large table.  Last 14 night cruise we had 11 specialty dining nights so we went for MTD as it would be rude to not show up 11 times.  Lunch or breakfast is always a table for 2 .  Always sit with a group in the Diamond Lounge. Sit by ourselves in the bars unless it is trivia time.  Most cruises we are at one of the very last tables to leave. 

That picture of a dining room is absolutely awful the way the tables are set up, much prefer Oasis class dining.

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.e88cd53aff6b98ad76c0a5fc7b412e34.JPG

Oasis class are 3 level main dining rooms? Nice!

For me, a table for two would be a table for one. I enjoy a good dinner, not rushed, with good conversation, so I almost always ask for a larger table. Not a fan of those who want to race through dinner in 45 minutes.

There might be the odd night on a long cruise where I just want to veg out a bit, but that's far more the exception than the rule.

For a number of reasons I understand why people like tables for two, but in my case I hope the cruise lines continue to offer shared tables.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

The last cruise on the Bliss we always opted for a table for 2.

But if push comes to shove we might just take the table of 6 and share with some other folks to get seated earlier...you?

The problem with this concept is that in order to get a shared table you have to have others who want to share and that is a rare occurrence on NCL

6 hours ago, mom says said:

So from your posts I think we've established that you have never shared a table on a cruise ship. You order what you want to drink. It's unlikely that anyone at an anytime dining shared table would want to order a bottle  of wine for the table. This may well happen in fixed time dining, after a few days and people have gotten to  know each other. But even then it would be perfectly fine to politely decline.

If you want beer, then have beer. Drinking it from a bottle? My German friends would have something to say about diminishing the taste if it hasn't been properly poured into a glass first, but it won't get you ostracized. And no, it's not proper etiquette, just like it's not proper to chug your wine out of the bottle.

If you want another beer when you've finished your first, then just order another one. You're way overthinking this. If you're out with friends for the evening do you wait until everyone has finished their drinks before getting your next?

Look, it's obvious that you wouldn't be comfortable at a shared table. It's a pity,because we've had many an enjoyable evening doing just that. Fortunately you can dine by yourself in splendid isolation (or as isolated as a 6 inch separation of tables allows) at a table for 2 since that is your preference. But please stop putting down those who choose to share their table with others. Enjoying conversation with your fellow cruisers is far from bizarre.

I'd just like to say that you have expressed more eloquently than I could ever hope to achieve, how I felt about the post you commented upon. Drinking from a bottle in a half decent restaurant,  on land or at sea, is just a pure lack of style,  class, refinement,decorum etc. I think you get my drift!

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'd just like to say that you have expressed more eloquently than I could ever hope to achieve, how I felt about the post you commented upon. Drinking from a bottle in a half decent restaurant,  on land or at sea, is just a pure lack of style,  class, refinement,decorum etc. I think you get my drift!

My God. Its just a bottle of beer. 

Does that really constitute a pure lack of class and style. 

At least I am saving on the washing up. Doing my bit for the environment.

I would love to share a table with you. Just to see if you are as classy as you make out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I would love to share a table with you. Just to see if you are as classy as you make out.

Darren, as you grow older, and travel more , you will understand the that you can buy a bottle of beer, but you cannot buy class.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

It's funny.  I never knew that drinking from a bottle of beer is considered gauche but I checked and evidently it is.  I rarely drink beer and it's usually a Tsingtao with Chinese food.  We share one and drink from the bottle to keep it as cold as possible.  I REALLY don't like beer that's not super cold.  I think I'll continue to but maybe extend my pinky finger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Heck yeah, I enjoy a cold one right out of the bottle.   Glass is OK too I guess.   But I hate those bottle shaped aluminum containers.  

Violation of Miss Manner's rules?  I don't know and don't care.   😀

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Stop clutching your pearls and take a breath. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Darren, as you grow older, and travel more , you will understand the that you can buy a bottle of beer, but you cannot buy class.  

My oh-so-Southern-Mother said "if you use the word class then you don't have any."  She would use the term "good breeding" which has nothing to do with DNA but rather knowing how to act and when.  So perhaps as you get older, you'll learn some things also.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Us younguns love being patronised by the older generation.

Which is great as I haven't considered my self a youngun for 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I still find this sort of thread very odd.

I cant thnk of anything worse than being forced to eat with folk who may have weird habits, or something else odd. Or I might have wierd habits that I dont want to alter.

Now if we did happen to find that we were put with folk, either likeminded(Unlikely) or interesting, and engaging, then I might think its OK.

But every night of the cruise?

Why would a married couple want that every night?????

I find it utterly bizarre.

We have been married for 32 years and eat together all the time since it has normally been just the 2 of us. It's nice to eat with and meet others. I wouldn't want to always live in a little bubble. There is a whole world out there with many interesting people and cultures.

17 hours ago, DarrenM said:

The other thing I would find odd on a large table would be how people order drinks.

Does someone, you know the type, try to decide what type of wine the table should all share? And give incredibly boring reasons as to why?

I only drink beer, and if its a lager type, will happily drink from the bottle. This I am led to believe upsets some folk, as its not dinner time etiquette.

And I want another bottle when the firts is empty. Are you expected to wait till everyone needs a top up?

Doesnt seem very enjoyable if thats the case.

We order our drinks when and how we want them. If someone wants to drink out of a bottle then so be it. I wouldn't have a second thought about it. 

We will either eat alone or be happy to join others. If we're in a rush we eat by ourselves since it goes faster. I can deal with most bad habits except what really grosses me out is when someone picks their nose or talks with their mouth full of food. How do they not have any fall out? Disgusting!!!

Edited by ReneeFLL

I did actually say that it could work for me on a bigger table if I liked the people.

But even then I wouldnt want it every night of the cruise.

And for those concerned I get to meet plenty of new folk during my travels.

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For me, a table for two would be a table for one. I enjoy a good dinner, not rushed, with good conversation, so I almost always ask for a larger table. Not a fan of those who want to race through dinner in 45 minutes.

There might be the odd night on a long cruise where I just want to veg out a bit, but that's far more the exception than the rule.

For a number of reasons I understand why people like tables for two, but in my case I hope the cruise lines continue to offer shared tables.

For what it's worth, you can share a table with DW and me anytime :).  We love sharing large tables and are often the last table to leave the dining room (with everyone laughing and smiling).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Table for 2, as DH and I enjoy dinner as a special time for the two of us.    Typically have wine with dinner (I do use a glass for that) but would happily drink from a bottle of beer depending on the entree.  But of course, in my case that would solely be for the purpose of showing off the really exotic beer I had selected. 😊 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1