Probably my last unlimited dining package purchase.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Officially it has always been an extra $10 for entrees.  Multiple apps and desserts are not a problem. 

It has been some time since I sailed on Royal Caribbean, Adventure of the Seas, but the last time my family sailed my son and son-in-law had 2 entrees at every dinner and was never charged extra.  

1 hour ago, DUC950 said:

It has been some time since I sailed on Royal Caribbean, Adventure of the Seas, but the last time my family sailed my son and son-in-law had 2 entrees at every dinner and was never charged extra.  

Since you said every dinner it sounds like you are talking about having multiple entrees in the Main Dining Room.  That has never been an issue.  We were talking about in specialty restaurants.  Of course even with those there are always exceptions.

• Like 1

I too would like to know for sure if there are separate menus for the unlimited and non-dinner plan patrons. If that is in fact true, and the package menus have items removed, then I’ll be canceling the package.

I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

2 minutes ago, Zephanor said:

I too would like to know for sure if there are separate menus for the unlimited and non-dinner plan patrons. If that is in fact true, and the package menus have items removed, then I’ll be canceling the package.

I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

They are the same menu.

Just received a Facebook message a week later. 

Hi, Joe. I need correct info I provided you previously. You're only able to order one entree per meal on the Unlimited Dining Package.  I apologize for any disappointment. -Gwen

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, tomservo said:

People have alluded to it in this thread, but are they actually giving out a different menu to people with the UDP? Is Tricia saying that the rib eye was off the menu for everyone or just them?

Just now, Tricia28 said:

Rib eye is no longer on Jamie's menu. They have removed several items including olives. Sounds petty but I am an olive lover and was disappointed they removed them from an Italian menu. I didn't take a picture but I can tell you the menu doe everyone was new that week per our server at Jamie's. Enjoyed the Chefs Table they gave us as compensation though.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:40 PM, coffeebean said:

Which brings me to the post upthread who said she and her friend had to share an entree so the men would have enough to eat. I'm still scratching my head on that one because there is no question that unlimited appys, sides and deserts are most definitely allowed. That is plenty of food to fill a Rugby player's belly.

My husband and said rugby player, neither of which is overweight, prefer to eat more protein. Neither eats dessert nor unnecessary carbs so they wanted to skip dessert and maybe have one app and 2 proteins (main entrees). My annoyance with Royal is the language used during purchase is ambiguous and ever-changing. In the end because we were in a suite the host allowed us to bring non suite guests when it wasn't busy and we ended up eating there 3 or the nights we has paid for unlimited dining. I wanted ro give those who dont have that option a heads up. I find the comments in this thread regarding the amount or type of food someone wants to consume petty and judgemental. The suite concierge escalated my complaint to corporate as he said we should not have been asked to pay $10 for an extra entree. 

On 8/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, Oxo said:

I personally think that there are too many people on here who are trying to make too much of nothing. Stop and think of what you are paying for your package. You cannot go anywhere other than the MDR and get a cheaper meal. These SRs serve very good food for one of the best values. If you cannot get enough to eat with app, main entree and desert, then you should not even eat in the MDR. Just go to the buffet and sit there all night long to stuff your self. LOL

Really, keep your package, go with an open mind, be positive. You will enjoy it. If you don't you can come back and complain on here and say I was wrong. Been on over 100 cruises, and yes, we do many cruise lines. We have eaten in many SRs on many ships. Very seldom will you have a true complaint.  If you food is not to your liking, let them know and they will try very hard to satisfy you. You are the only one that can say what you will like or not like. Food is subjective. 

Go enjoy!!!! Happy Cruising!!! 

My husband and said rugby player, neither of which is overweight, prefer to eat more protein. Neither eats dessert nor unnecessary carbs so they wanted to skip dessert and maybe have one app and 2 proteins (main entrees). My annoyance with Royal is the language used during purchase is ambiguous and ever-changing. In the end because we were in a suite the host allowed us to bring non suite guests when it wasn't busy and we ended up eating there 3 or the nights we has paid for unlimited dining. I wanted ro give those who dont have that option a heads up. I find the comments in this thread regarding the amount or type of food someone wants to consume petty and judgemental. The suite concierge escalated my complaint to corporate as he said we should not have been asked to pay $10 for an extra entree. We never eat in the buffet at all. We've seen too many unsanitary practices by fellow Cruisers that use their finger to wipe food off of a spoon, take food and then put it back, or touch things they don't intend to put on their plate. I especially love when people lick their fingers and then use the tongs other people are going to use. So no we will not stuff ourselves silly in the buffet but rather just ask for something we pay for to have a clear set of rules when we pay for it. 

Edited by Tricia28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tricia28 said:

We've seen too many unsanitary practices by fellow Cruisers that use their finger to wipe food off of a spoon, take food and then put it back, or touch things they don't intend to put on their plate. I especially love when people lick their fingers and then use the tongs other people are going to use.

I wished more cruise lines used employees to serve people at the buffets (I think Holland America does for example). It’s in everyone best interest to prevent the spread of communicable diseases. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

That has happened to me a number of times through the years and what I do is remember it for another time!  I just don't shove another entree in my mouth because it looked better than what I had.  There is only so much food that I can eat and I don't want to be overweight either.  There is always tomorrow to try something different.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe she didn't eat the first entree because it wasn't very good? Just because she wanted a second doesn't mean she was shoving food in her face. What is wrong with some of you people?

On 8/17/2019 at 10:14 PM, tcrandal said:

Must people debate everything? OP did a good thing posting this, and should definitely call RCL to complain to see why the terms didn't appear to match the experience. It's also a good warning for others. If somehow it was misinterpreted, RCL might clear up the confusing language. 'Nuff said. 

No idea how it turned into four pages of debate, but par for the course in human nature. 

No different that you adding your comment to the "debate" and adding to the pages.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:30 PM, Oxo said:

I personally think that there are too many people on here who are trying to make too much of nothing. Stop and think of what you are paying for your package. You cannot go anywhere other than the MDR and get a cheaper meal. These SRs serve very good food for one of the best values. If you cannot get enough to eat with app, main entree and desert, then you should not even eat in the MDR. Just go to the buffet and sit there all night long to stuff your self. LOL......

It doesn't matter what she is paying for her package. It says unlimited so they shouldn't be trying to bait and switch and tell her it's going to be 10.00 for an extra entree. So rude about people stuffing themselves. Even if someone wanted to it's none of your business. 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Tricia28 said:

Rib eye is no longer on Jamie's menu. They have removed several items including olives. Sounds petty but I am an olive lover and was disappointed they removed them from an Italian menu. I didn't take a picture but I can tell you the menu doe everyone was new that week per our server at Jamie's. Enjoyed the Chefs Table they gave us as compensation though.

Good! The rib eye at Jamie's was horrible. Our waiter specifically said "don't order the rib eye". Did we listen? Nope, we wanted a steak. Worst meal on the ship.

9 hours ago, Tricia28 said:

My husband and said rugby player, neither of which is overweight, prefer to eat more protein. Neither eats dessert nor unnecessary carbs so they wanted to skip dessert and maybe have one app and 2 proteins (main entrees). My annoyance with Royal is the language used during purchase is ambiguous and ever-changing. In the end because we were in a suite the host allowed us to bring non suite guests when it wasn't busy and we ended up eating there 3 or the nights we has paid for unlimited dining. I wanted ro give those who dont have that option a heads up. I find the comments in this thread regarding the amount or type of food someone wants to consume petty and judgemental. The suite concierge escalated my complaint to corporate as he said we should not have been asked to pay $10 for an extra entree. 

Did you hear back from Corporate ?  

People need to go to GS and firmly request full refunds when the company plays these games.  The only language understood is $$$.  The only way you will get what you were advertised is by pushing back and asking for the $$$ back.  Otherwise they will shortchange you with a smile on your face.  

As time goes on I find myself less and less likely to make these sort of purchases.  I prefer issue free cruising.  If I want to deal with terms and conditions and fight over money I'll keep working and visit my clients or go deal with FPL.  Royal is making things a big pain for consumers and being tacky over $10 charges...

I just love it when people tell others:

'Even if someone wanted to it's none of your business'

Yet, they make it their business to tell someone else it is none of their business. 

That is what this forum is about. 

Everyone's BUSINESS. LOL

Enjoy your cruise. 

Thanks for sharing this with us, Tricia. It only supports my feelings on these dining packages. We ate at Chop's on our last cruise even at a 40% discount and left completely unimpressed and the entire meal felt as if we were being rushed out of there. The cruising experience grows cheaper as they take things away from us. Next year in the Baltic we will just stick with the MDR. After that, no more cruising awhile even though we will be diamond. Going to take a break for a few seasons and take regular vacations.

ReneeFll-  You didn't read or understand her post, she ate the entree!!!  

1-  She was told only one entree per person

2-  Entrees were not "large"enough for the two men, so the ladies shared entrees with the men which means she ATE and they consume all four entrees one for each of the four people.

Whats wrong with you?!!!

• Like 1

Rusty Nut-  We tried Jaimie's twice on one sailing, the first night we were unimpressed but figured lets give it another try.  Your absolutely correct, I had the rib eye and it was the most horrible rib eye I ever had, in fact, the gentleman next to me sitting at the table next to ours, agreed when I told the waiter it was not good.  It was my worst meal on the ship, and we never will go back to Jaimie's.

JohnJen-  We gave up eating at Chops every cruise we went to Chops and had problems with our meals, the last one was so bad we never will go back, even if they offer us a free meal there. We always have dined every night at specialty restaurants and we experiencing a decline in them all, as a result, on our upcoming cruise in October on the Navigator and our January cruise again back on the Harmony, we will only eat in the MDR, its not worth paying extra for specialty restaurants any longer, the food is not what it used to be.  I also have a new rule, and this goes for any cruise line such as celebrity, if a specialty restaurant has any items that have an "up charge", we won't go, it just tells us that the specialty dining is not good any longer, the reason why they have the "up charge items.

19 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Rusty Nut-  We tried Jaimie's twice on one sailing, the first night we were unimpressed but figured lets give it another try.  Your absolutely correct, I had the rib eye and it was the most horrible rib eye I ever had, in fact, the gentleman next to me sitting at the table next to ours, agreed when I told the waiter it was not good.  It was my worst meal on the ship, and we never will go back to Jaimie's.

JohnJen-  We gave up eating at Chops every cruise we went to Chops and had problems with our meals, the last one was so bad we never will go back, even if they offer us a free meal there. We always have dined every night at specialty restaurants and we experiencing a decline in them all, as a result, on our upcoming cruise in October on the Navigator and our January cruise again back on the Harmony, we will only eat in the MDR, its not worth paying extra for specialty restaurants any longer, the food is not what it used to be.  I also have a new rule, and this goes for any cruise line such as celebrity, if a specialty restaurant has any items that have an "up charge", we won't go, it just tells us that the specialty dining is not good any longer, the reason why they have the "up charge items.

The "upcharge" for the 19$ seafood tower was totally worth it.  We received a huge portion of lovely tasty seafood.

In fact we went again, got the tower and shared a steak and salad, ab fab!

We also eat in the specialty restaurants every night and we have the UDP for our upcoming cruise on the Allure in October. I agree that there is discrepancy between the package description and what people are being subjected to when on board.  

We were originally scheduled to be on the September 1 Allure sailing that got shortened and I emailed the suite concierge to make dinner reservations, who promptly told me that there would be a $10/person charge to eat Hibachi, therefore I emailed customer service regarding all of the controversy around the UDP and how it was being interpreted and this is the response I received:

I will report back with what actually happens.......

A029230C-1510-4BE0-9179-F6834844FC64.png

• Like 1

We had the UDP on Harmony last week for the shortened Thursday-Sunday cruise. We ate at Chops, 150 Central Park, Izumi Hibachi, and Wonderland. 

Izumi Hibachi included for 1 meat / protein and $4 extra for 2 proteins. 

The only restaurant we had 3 entrees was Wonderland. We just inquired about how the 3rd one was prepared and the waiter surprised us by bringing it out. 

We enjoyed having a 2nd “dinner” later one night. Went to 150 Central Park a 2nd time before closing just to have an appetizer I liked (scallops) and the fried cheesecake dessert. 

3 hours ago, Luvmypups said:

We also eat in the specialty restaurants every night and we have the UDP for our upcoming cruise on the Allure in October. I agree that there is discrepancy between the package description and what people are being subjected to when on board.  

We were originally scheduled to be on the September 1 Allure sailing that got shortened and I emailed the suite concierge to make dinner reservations, who promptly told me that there would be a $10/person charge to eat Hibachi, therefore I emailed customer service regarding all of the controversy around the UDP and how it was being interpreted and this is the response I received:

I will report back with what actually happens.......

A029230C-1510-4BE0-9179-F6834844FC64.png

Almost perfect. A shame the topic of the main dining room menu extra-cost items off the specialty restaurant menu didn't come up. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

We had the UDP on the Vision in the Med.  There SDR were never more than 50% full when we were dining.  There were many dinners where the waiters would give us extra meals that we knew we couldn’t finish.  Once we were charged extra for the lobster in Chops, so we got smart & would to the MDR order the lobster, leave, & then go to the SDR.  We even ordered a dessert from Chops while sitting in Giovanni’s.  In Izumi, the waiters would go to the Centrum Bar & get the wine we wanted.  We found the UDP fantastic & worth every cent!  Private relaxed dining ambience, great service, top notch food & away from the hustle & bustle of the MDR & Windjammer Buffet. Up in the Windjammer you witness some very strange behaviour while people select their food & might I say unhygienic behaviour.  

In the end we honestly felt there was a competition between the MDR, Chops, Giovanni’s & Izumi’s for our patronage.  So much so, we started to think they were on some type of bonus scheme for pushing out more meals!?  We basically got whatever we wanted & more, which is exactly what I expected by paying extra for the Unlimited Dining Package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1