Ballet on X, really.

dolittle

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for starting the thread.  It has been an interesting discussion.

Thanks that is what it is all about .I do like talking taking about the  entertainment but it is not often a hot topic.I wish C.C. would start a board for this topic.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:13 AM, dolittle said:

I just saw on one of X s room channel that they have a deal to bring Ballet to some of their ships. Hate to be a wet blanket but sounds like a real bad idea to me. It is just not popular entertainment never has been and never will be. What do you think.

It's a bit like people who say they don't like cruising, but have never been on a cruise. regarding Ballet don't knock it till you have tried it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dolittle said:

I am the O.P. I am in no way upset just giving my M.H.O.about ballet. For those of you who want to tell me how popular  it is most ballet companies live on tax money and grants from large givers . Most would not exist on ticket money. It is like Jazz many people will say they like it but the quickest way to go broke is to open a jazz club or in the old days a record label . Many people are afraid to say that the king has no clothes when it comes to the high arts. I suspect many will tell you the would love poetry readings too.but the vast majority would not. It could be worse they might try ''spoken word'' at which time I will jump over board.

I agree 100%.  You also raise an interesting point that most ballet companies could not exist on the money people are willing to pay for the tickets.  That's probably all that needs to be said about the popularity of ballet.  If someone enjoys ballet that's great, it's just not that popular.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dolittle said:

I am the O.P. I am in no way upset just giving my M.H.O.about ballet. For those of you who want to tell me how popular  it is most ballet companies live on tax money and grants from large givers . Most would not exist on ticket money. It is like Jazz many people will say they like it but the quickest way to go broke is to open a jazz club or in the old days a record label . Many people are afraid to say that the king has no clothes when it comes to the high arts. I suspect many will tell you the would love poetry readings too.but the vast majority would not. It could be worse they might try ''spoken word'' at which time I will jump over board.

Your point is true about many of the performing arts not just ballet.  Perhaps they can survive in some places on ticket sales (maybe NYC?) but not in most places without added private and public donations.  Same for museums, zoos, whatever.  But fine arts and performing arts and historical places are there for a some people to enjoy and perhaps to expand the horizons of others on occasion.  They are not meant to be or claim to be high popularity like rock concerts.  Just like anywhere, in the city or on a ship, just go if you want and don't go if it doesn't interest you.

• Like 2

I'm trying to decide if "cannot survive on ticket sales alone" actually equates to "unpopular." If I look at other areas outside performing arts, the New York City subway, Washington, DC, Metro, and essentially all public transit systems worldwide cannot survive on ticket sales alone, but if you've ever been on one at rush hour, with some stranger's armpit in your face, it is difficult to label them "unpopular."

Perhaps it is the definition of "unpopular" that is giving me problems. Don't know, but I seem to spend a lot of my time on semantics these days.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If X cruisers attend and enjoy it, we hope it  will continue.. What a great opportunity to  attend with children and grandchildren! More to life than video games and raves! 

Supporting the arts is vital .  So jealous of all the great outdoor concerts in Europe that we see on TV! 

Some thought the Glass show would peter out too but that stayed until the operator could not sustain it.   ( now folks have to pay)

If someone  has a list of the ABT cruises  pls post or re post.  We are actually seeking out a cruise where it is planned.

35 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I'm trying to decide if "cannot survive on ticket sales alone" actually equates to "unpopular." If I look at other areas outside performing arts, the New York City subway, Washington, DC, Metro, and essentially all public transit systems worldwide cannot survive on ticket sales alone, but if you've ever been on one at rush hour, with some stranger's armpit in your face, it is difficult to label them "unpopular."

Perhaps it is the definition of "unpopular" that is giving me problems. Don't know, but I seem to spend a lot of my time on semantics these days.

Heck, as far as that goes, look at all the public support that professional sports teams receive--arenas/stadiums, tax breaks, etc.  

• Like 7

Most arts organisations museums, ballet, opera, dance, music, zoos are run as non profit organisations and rely on public funding to survive. even the major ones like the Royal Ballet and Opera in London. Increasingly they are looking at increasing income and reducing funding which then becomes available to a less well known organisation. I know one ballet company has a partnership with J W Marriott and this ABT one with Celebrity should be applauded it should bring funds into the company whilst exposing more people to the art form!

• Like 2

We seem to live in an era of intolerance.  Many folks are truly set in their ways, thoughts, ideas, mores, etc.  A major lure of  travel for myself has been the opportunity to learn about other peoples, cultures, cuisine, etc.  The fact that some cruise lines try to expand their repertoire of entertainment is a good thing.  Sure, there are some folks who will simply ignore something they see as a bit different just like some folks will travel around the world and not learn anything about different cultures because they are so immersed in their own set ideas that they are incapable of seeing beyond their nose.   I am not the biggest fan of ballet (although I do love much of the music) but will seldom miss an opportunity to attend a performance.  We salute X for booking different kinds of entertainment.  For those who have never attended a professional ballet performance, take advantage of the opportunity.  Who knows, you might surprise yourself and even enjoy it :).

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hcat said:

If X cruisers attend and enjoy it, we hope it  will continue.. What a great opportunity to  attend with children and grandchildren! More to life than video games and raves! 

Supporting the arts is vital .  So jealous of all the great outdoor concerts in Europe that we see on TV! 

Some thought the Glass show would peter out too but that stayed until the operator could not sustain it.   ( now folks have to pay)

If someone  has a list of the ABT cruises  pls post or re post.  We are actually seeking out a cruise where it is planned.

hcat, here is a flyer with some dates and the link to X's list. They say here that some performances will be in port. Maybe once they see how well it is received, they will add more dates.

image.thumb.png.0b99386730040a87145b6256799b585b.png

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/entertainment/american-ballet-theatre

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

hcat, here is a flyer with some dates and the link to X's list. They say here that some performances will be in port. Maybe once they see how well it is received, they will add more dates.

image.thumb.png.0b99386730040a87145b6256799b585b.png

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/entertainment/american-ballet-theatre

Just read the flyer more closely and it said that the 2020 ABT sailing dates haven't been released yet so maybe some of our 2020 cruises will have them onboard. 🙂

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 8:48 PM, dolittle said:

Thanks that is what it is all about .I do like talking taking about the  entertainment but it is not often a hot topic.I wish C.C. would start a board for this topic.

Not many threads on entertainment since celebrity does not have that much. Love the line but we now do music charters on celebrity, costly but lots of fun with live music all day from about 2pm to 2 am.

Thank you  so much Vt.. you are a great resource !.  I see a published or online  cruising guide in your future!

We will look for the next  ABT series.

Missing some prime ballet performances in Fla this season...due to family holiday schedules...but will look for something close by.  DH enjoys it.  I think opera, not so much!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Not many threads on entertainment since celebrity does not have that much. Love the line but we now do music charters on celebrity, costly but lots of fun with live music all day from about 2pm to 2 am.

Can't wait for next year's FPC!  Yours looks good too!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Can't wait for next year's FPC!  Yours looks good too!

Looking forward to your Flower Power review, too bad you are not on our Rock and Romance we will host a little party for our small roll call in our Royal suite

24 minutes ago, George C said:

Looking forward to your Flower Power review, too bad you are not on our Rock and Romance we will host a little party for our small roll call in our Royal suite

If they had been B2B, we might have booked it. Glad we were able to snag a suite for next year (one of the better S1's), but your Royal will be very sweet!

No ballet on our cruises, but hope to be on a future cruise with ABT!

On 9/5/2019 at 5:45 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree 100%.  You also raise an interesting point that most ballet companies could not exist on the money people are willing to pay for the tickets.  That's probably all that needs to be said about the popularity of ballet.  If someone enjoys ballet that's great, it's just not that popular.

It is all about quality. When Russian ballet arrives to Boston $90-100 are the cheapest tickets and theaters are always sold  out. 

Edited by Tatka

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is all about quality. When Russian ballet arrives to Boston $90-100 are the cheapest tickets and theaters are always sold  out. 

I'm sure it's about quality.  But I'm not sure how long the Russian Ballet is in Boston or even if the market in Boston can support the ballet more than a few weeks a year.  Is the touring troupe at sea the major league or is it like watching minor league baseball.  I'm also not sure if the Russian Ballet really has to make a profit.  

But if you like ballet that's great, I'm just not convinced it's a major draw for a large market.  Even the sophisticated Celebrity cruisers. 😉 No need to attack me or anyone else that would rather see Celebrity contract other entertainment options. 

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sure it's about quality.  But I'm not sure how long the Russian Ballet is in Boston or even if the market in Boston can support the ballet more than a few weeks a year.  Is the touring troupe at sea the major league or is it like watching minor league baseball.  I'm also not sure if the Russian Ballet really has to make a profit.  

But if you like ballet that's great, I'm just not convinced it's a major draw for a large market.  Even the sophisticated Celebrity cruisers. 😉 No need to attack me or anyone else that would rather see Celebrity contract other entertainment options. 

Rusian ballet of course must make a profit. And they do at home and traveling.

Nobody is attacking you, but there are  various types of entertainment on all ships. Is  Celebrity discontinuing other types, because of ballet (on some sailings)? I’m sure there will still be comedians, singers , production shows etc as always.

57 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Rusian ballet of course must make a profit. And they do at home and traveling.

Nobody is attacking you, but there are  various types of entertainment on all ships. Is  Celebrity discontinuing other types, because of ballet (on some sailings)? I’m sure there will still be comedians, singers , production shows etc as always.

Isn't the Russian Ballet owned/controlled by the Russian government?  If so, it might be difficult to calculate the amount of government subsidy.

I doubt that Celebrity is supplementing the entertainment budget to add the ballet.  I suspect that there is less money for the other types of entertainment or perhaps they have eliminated options on the ballet sailings. Perhaps I'm wrong, do the ballet sailings seem to be sailing at a premium compared to similar Celebrity cruises?

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sure it's about quality.  But I'm not sure how long the Russian Ballet is in Boston or even if the market in Boston can support the ballet more than a few weeks a year.  

My guess is the Boston Ballet Company, its members and the paying customers would probably disagree with you.

• Like 5