Ballet on X, really.

dolittle

9 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, that's correct.  Me and the vast majority of the passengers.  Most people don't enjoy ballet, it doesn't matter if they are at sea or on land.

Let me guess- you'd rather see country and western or jugglers? And where do you get the idea that "most" people, this "vast majority" don't enjoy ballet? I can't say I've ever been to a ballet performance that wasn't very, very well attended. Surely if your opinion held any merit, there would have been a veritable sea of empty seats. 

Providing something for every taste shouldn't have to mean shooting for the lowest common denominator. The classics still hold appeal to many - they're classic for a reason.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Wow... unpopular idea?

When good ballet performs in Boston (like from Bolshoy Theater) it is sold out every time.

Good quality ballet is great.

It is so sad next cruise after us (on Summit) gets ballet and we do not. 😞

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, that's correct.  Me and the vast majority of the passengers.  Most people don't enjoy ballet, it doesn't matter if they are at sea or on land.

You're probably right that, statistically, most people worldwide don't like ballet. Of course, it's also true that most people don't cruise, let alone cruise on Celebrity. As this thread has clearly demonstrated, however, both the OP and you were mistaken about the entertainment tastes of CC members who cruise with Celebrity.

• Like 2

Most people don't like ballet.

The vast majority of passengers don't want to see ballet.

Perfect! The vast majority of passengers won't fit in the theater, even with two performances a night. 

It's a win-win.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You're probably right that, statistically, most people worldwide don't like ballet. Of course, it's also true that most people don't cruise, let alone cruise on Celebrity. As this thread has clearly demonstrated, however, both the OP and you were mistaken about the entertainment tastes of CC members who cruise with Celebrity.

Perhaps you're correct.  The test will be if the ballet returns.  I still think the ballet will have the same fate as the "Kobe Burgers".  Gone, never to be seen again.

I went to the ballet once, on land. Dreadful experience - three hours of my life I won’t get back.  A production of Giselle (SPOILER ALERT: unscrupulous noble flirts with peasant girl, peasant girl falls in love. But unscrupulous noble is already betrothed.  Peasant girl dies of broken heart and comes back as a ghost.)  in case the plot wasn’t depressing enough this production was set in the Warsaw ghetto during Nazi occupation instead of the usual forest. 

My companion on the other hand was move to tears by the emotion of the ballet and then joy when she was gifted the prima ballerina’s (used!) slippers after the performance. 

Moral: one man’s meat is another man’s poison

So if you enjoy ballet (or haven’t been so don’t know) go along and I hope you have an enjoyable evening. I’d be in the Martini bar though. 

And good on Celebrity for trying something different.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps you're correct.  The test will be if the ballet returns.  I still think the ballet will have the same fate as the "Kobe Burgers".  Gone, never to be seen again.

These two things have nothing to do with each other.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mom says said:

Let me guess- you'd rather see country and western or jugglers? And where do you get the idea that "most" people, this "vast majority" don't enjoy ballet? I can't say I've ever been to a ballet performance that wasn't very, very well attended. Surely if your opinion held any merit, there would have been a veritable sea of empty seats. 

Providing something for every taste shouldn't have to mean shooting for the lowest common denominator. The classics still hold appeal to many - they're classic for a reason.

Well said!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Exactly.  I would expect that on Celebrity especially out of majority of massmarket lines cruisers would enjoy more sophisticated entertainment being that X caters to more refined crowd. 

I’m surprised to read some answers here.

I guess North America is very different from Europe after all.

I’m not generalizing ... just cannot see Europeans to say something like this. 

22 hours ago, CruiserfaeFife said:

I went to the ballet once, on land. Dreadful experience - three hours of my life I won’t get back.  A production of Giselle (SPOILER ALERT: unscrupulous noble flirts with peasant girl, peasant girl falls in love. But unscrupulous noble is already betrothed.  Peasant girl dies of broken heart and comes back as a ghost.)  in case the plot wasn’t depressing enough this production was set in the Warsaw ghetto during Nazi occupation instead of the usual forest. 

My companion on the other hand was move to tears by the emotion of the ballet and then joy when she was gifted the prima ballerina’s (used!) slippers after the performance. 

Moral: one man’s meat is another man’s poison

So if you enjoy ballet (or haven’t been so don’t know) go along and I hope you have an enjoyable evening. I’d be in the Martini bar though. 

And good on Celebrity for trying something different.  

Ooops.. Spoken too soon. 🙂 

Do you like all movies, concerts, singers, comedians? Although Giselle is classics, but there are many different ballets. If you didn’t like theme or performance of Giselle it doesn’t mean you will hate all other.

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Ooops.. Spoken too soon. 🙂 

Do you like all movies, concerts, singers, comedians? Although Giselle is classics, but there are many different ballets. If you didn’t like theme or performance of Giselle it doesn’t mean you will hate all other.

Indeed... but my underlying point was that we do well to respect different points of view and tastes on these boards, as indeed in life generally.

As it happens I’m not a complete philistine, enjoying opera, classical music (including from ballets, as it happens) and other performing arts but that is probably going beyond the scope of this thread...🙂

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

Exactly.  I would expect that on Celebrity especially out of majority of massmarket lines cruisers would enjoy more sophisticated entertainment being that X caters to more refined crowd. 

I’m surprised to read some answers here.

I guess North America is very different from Europe after all.

I’m not generalizing ... just cannot see Europeans to say something like this. 

Also surprised...and disappointed!

But there remains much support and interest in the arts....music, museums, etc.

The curated art Collection on EDGE is outstanding!

• Like 2

Yay! The ballet will be on my upcoming Equinox Cruise. Looking forward to it. Loved the RADA performances on Cunard too and would like to see something similar on Celebrity. Really will enjoy something different from the usual production shows. 

Mary Ann

• Like 2

They have listed the Apex Naming Ceremony as having an ABT guest appearance.
"ABT GUEST APPEARANCE – APEX NAMING CEREMONY -2020"

We are on the Apex Inaugural and I started to think that they likely wouldn't fly them over for one short performance. Maybe they will be on our Inaugural cruise?  Maybe wishful thinking....🙂

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We are on the Apex Inaugural and I started to think that they likely wouldn't fly them over for one short performance. Maybe they will be on our Inaugural cruise?  Maybe wishful thinking....🙂

Hope you get the ballet, what a treat that would be.

• Like 1

For anyone who did not  follow the Nutcracker plot  or if you are looking for a nice holiday gift for a child .... check out:   E.T.A. Hoffman's The Nutcracker...by Jessica Southwick, et al..

...Available at Bas Bleu catalog/ online, Getting one for our grandchild!

• Like 3

We like to try everything once....and went to see Romeo and Juliet at the Budapest Opera House - profile pic is taken there.  Quite enjoyed it, very dramatic and moving.  Also tried Opera once with La Traviata at the Naples Opera House - not a clue what was going on and we were glared at by fellow attendees when we put our coats on at the end of Act 2....there is seemingly an Act 3 🙂 

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2019 at 6:41 PM, vtcruising said:

That would be great

Since this has taken so many turns;) I will throw out that Opera would be very intriguing to me. As some may have noticed on my Edge posts music is very important to me and if there is a great singer or guitarist or even a great hook I am in. The Edge was a huge win for us with the music on the stage shows and around the ship, they brought in top notch talent! Even RCCL had Kronos a house band on the brilliance that was must see caliber talent!

Long winded answer to say I would probably enjoy opera because it fits the singing criteria I have. I also did say in Vt's poll page that if the ballet is on the Apex we wouldn't skip the show, who knows I might like this better. If it still doesn't do it for us then there would be no more ballet performances in our future.

We are mid 40s and if we go to a show it is something like straight no chaser, comedians, or other musical acts. We really don't have any interest in the performing arts, musicals, ballet, etc, outside of cruising (watch all the stage shows onboard). We do however like to visit some museums from time to time, but we fall into the state and national park type people that like being out in nature:)

• Like 1

I gave this some thought on my walk and really don't think the performing arts are dying in the US, I just really think it depends on where you live. In the 90's my mom and I flew to New York to see Michael Damian in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream coat and it was amazing! This was also back when you could hang backstage and talk with the performer and we got to meet Michael and had a fairly lengthy chat because I grew up where the Young and the restless was based on (He is an incredibly nice human being).

For midwesterners, going to a professional show or a museum is a vacation or at minimum a long weekend. Where as people in New York, LA, Chicago (yes in the midwest), have lots of options every day. What we do have though is lots of state and national parks or just city parks. For example we have traveled along the Mississippi river by car looking at locks and dams and different natural areas multiple times in the last 4 years. So I think it is location, location, location.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 7:51 PM, LuAnn said:

Well...let's see...if it if good enough for "Prince George"...I guess it's good enough for me!! Seriously...some of you are upset that there will be ballet??? 

I am the O.P. I am in no way upset just giving my M.H.O.about ballet. For those of you who want to tell me how popular  it is most ballet companies live on tax money and grants from large givers . Most would not exist on ticket money. It is like Jazz many people will say they like it but the quickest way to go broke is to open a jazz club or in the old days a record label . Many people are afraid to say that the king has no clothes when it comes to the high arts. I suspect many will tell you the would love poetry readings too.but the vast majority would not. It could be worse they might try ''spoken word'' at which time I will jump over board.

15 minutes ago, dolittle said:

I am the O.P. I am in no way upset just giving my M.H.O.about ballet. For those of you who want to tell me how popular  it is most ballet companies live on tax money and grants from large givers . Most would not exist on ticket money. It is like Jazz many people will say they like it but the quickest way to go broke is to open a jazz club or in the old days a record label . Many people are afraid to say that the king has no clothes when it comes to the high arts. I suspect many will tell you the would love poetry readings too.but the vast majority would not. It could be worse they might try ''spoken word'' at which time I will jump over board.

Thanks for starting the thread.  It has been an interesting discussion.

• Like 1