BREAKFAST ON DEBARKATION DAY

wickky

Normally last day breakfast service begins very early, usually around 6:00AM. Service concludes by 8:00AM so that the crew can get the ship ready for it’s next scheduled sailing. Also, on most of the major cruise lines there is no room service available on disembarkation day. They basically want you off the ship as soon as possible to get ready for the new arriving passengers.

Absolutely, take time for breakfast on disembarkation day and, as others have said, the times the buffet restaurant and the MDR will be open does vary from ship to ship and port to port.  

I choose to patronize the MDR when possible or, if available, Room Service.  I really don't want to end my cruise (nor begin my cruise on embarkation day) with the probable chaos of the buffet restaurant.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wickky said:

Will we be able to get breakfast on the ship before leaving on the last day?

You will have the usual breakfast. The main difference is that it starts and ends earlier than other days.

Most certainly there is NEVER a shortage of food on a cruise 😁

Ah sit down breakfast on disembarkation, a sad day, but we always brighten it up with one last sit down meal in the dining, never could understand those that do the buffet, but to each their own

On 8/28/2019 at 3:11 AM, wickky said:

The exact set up will vary with different lines, however typically Room Service breakfast service is simply not available last day.   An MDR waiter service breakfast is usually available but much earlier than normal and often a shorter session.  Buffet open again from much earlier and probably a shorter session as they want people to move on and disembark.

Regards John

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 1:42 AM, chipmaster said:

Most certainly there is NEVER a shortage of food on a cruise 😁

Ah sit down breakfast on disembarkation, a sad day, but we always brighten it up with one last sit down meal in the dining, never could understand those that do the buffet, but to each their own

Ah, I can't understand those who do dining room breakfast ha ha.  I LOVE even the most abysmal breakfast buffet.  I can eat as much fruit as I want and pick the crispiest bacon.  3 types of breakfast potatoes on one plate-yes please!

31 minutes ago, kateg said:

Ah, I can't understand those who do dining room breakfast ha ha.  I LOVE even the most abysmal breakfast buffet.  I can eat as much fruit as I want and pick the crispiest bacon.  3 types of breakfast potatoes on one plate-yes please!

While I appreciate a buffet, I hate crowds. I'd rather sit down and be served. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kateg said:

You can order as much as you want in the dining room. RCI (at least the ships I've been on) have a buffet area set up in the middle of the dining room for breakfast (except the debarkation day -- not sure why as it would probably speed up the process). Want more after you have finished your plate?  Order more.

As for debarkation breakfast -- We find the MDR to actually be faster than the buffet. But we drive, so we are not in a big hurry to get off the ship.

Jim in Dallas, I was really joking around with the PP as I am the person he doesn't understand.  My husband is a sit down and be served sorta person.  I don't want to wait.  I hate the MDR because I always want to eat and then go go go.  So we compromise.  Breakfast buffet and slow boring dinner LOL. 

On 10/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, kateg said:

Jim in Dallas, I was really joking around with the PP as I am the person he doesn't understand.  My husband is a sit down and be served sorta person.  I don't want to wait.  I hate the MDR because I always want to eat and then go go go.  So we compromise.  Breakfast buffet and slow boring dinner LOL. 

We look at dinner in the MDR as one of the best social experiences on any cruise.  We prefer to share large tables and will generally do it at Open dining options so we can meet lots of different folks.  If we get some interesting tablemates (which happens more often the not) dinner is often a lot of fun and  can last up to 2 hours (since nobody wants the fun and conversation to end).   Over forty+ years of extensive cruising we have made quite a few friends and met lots of fascinating folks...and most of it happened at those long dinners.   A friend says there is no such thing as a boring dinner...but just boring people.  Fortunately, most who want to share large tables at Open dining are also looking for a fun social time.  Those that prefer to turn the MDR into a fast food place, or do not want to interact with others, will usually request a 2 top...which is where they should stay :).  

Hank

On 8/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, wickky said:

Like others have said, we love our sit down.  How many times on vacation or home can you have the menu selection and service like that, and sadly disembarkation is the last time till next cruise, LOL

Looks like OP will be on Carnival in November.  

Breakfast has always been early on disembarkation day on all the cruise lines we have sailed on over the years.  Usually starts at 6 although we have experiences where breakfast began at 5 AM.  The ships need to clean everything before the next passengers get on so everything closes down early.

We are among those that prefer to have a sit down / wait on us breakfast in the main dining room.

Yeap, it will be the same but will end sooner. You won't eat later anyways, since you will have to leave the ship 🙂 The buffet, the dining room or the International cafe, all have lots of choice of food for breakfast.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:13 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

We always do self carry and we get packed and leave our bags in the room.  Head to the dining room early then go back and get the bags and head out.  Nothing to it.  As mom says says (lol),it’s an early breakfast.  

We do exactly the same. Carry on always. No cruises more than 10 days so we have no problem with two carry on's. Even though they want you out of the room by a certain time so they can get it ready for the next cruisers. We never have had a problem just leaving the luggage in there till we are ready to leave.