Does It Make You Proud?

cjknox

I remember someone saying on the Disney board something like "As we were docked I could see all the people looking over with envy wishing they were on our ship". Bwa ha! Really?!  If I'm looking over at Disney ship the only thing I think is, thank goodness my kids aged out of Disney and we can branch out!  Lol

But, people are weird. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

It’s hard to pull into any port on Carnival with any other line’s ships in port and feel proud or better no matter how big the Carnival ship. 

True. I was in port when the Valor, Victory, RCI Harmony, Celebrity Equinox, MSC Seaside and Disney Fantasy were in port. I felt a little weird since we, aside from the Equinox, didn't really have any "mind blowing" activities.

9 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

When you cruise, do you feel a sense of pride when:

1. Your ship is the largest in port
  2. Your ship has the most top deck amenities (waterslides, gokarts, etc)

If so, why? If not, why?

I understand your question although some certainly didn't.  Ever have a party and invite several guests and wonder what they would think of your house.  Would they comment on how beautiful it was or ask if repairs being forthcoming?

It's the same with cruise ships.  If your ship is 20 years old headed for dry dock next week, you know someone on a neighboring ship that is brand new might be thinking why you would sail on some thing like that.  Your ship might be just fine but it's like a kid standing next to an old codger.  The kid looks young but the codger is wiser.

I'm one of the codgers.

• Like 1

" do think it would be interesting if you were able to tour other ships while you were in port.  "    

I agree with this 100%.  If Carnival lines are the entry brand,  why aren't there opportunities for folks to take a peek at the next level.  While still in the Carnival umbrella,  I would like to take an hour tour of a Princess or HAL ship when in a port I have been to many times instead.   And I agree  I always grab the behind the fun tours.

8 minutes ago, 5000 said:

" do think it would be interesting if you were able to tour other ships while you were in port.  "    

I agree with this 100%.  If Carnival lines are the entry brand,  why aren't there opportunities for folks to take a peek at the next level.  While still in the Carnival umbrella,  I would like to take an hour tour of a Princess or HAL ship when in a port I have been to many times instead.   And I agree  I always grab the behind the fun tours.

At one time, long, long, long ago  (forty years ago), when was in port with other ships, you could show your ship's card for your cruise at the gangway for another ship and one would be welcomed aboard to look around and be told where food was being served.

There was one port call in Bridgetown, Barbados, when there were four other ships in port besides our ship. We were on the NCL Starward.  Other ships were from  Princess, Royal Caribbean (not an entry level line at that time), Holland America and Carnival. Princess and Holland America were not Carnival brands at the time.

The interesting thing was that the only cruise line that would not allow visitors was Carnival. They were bottom tier and knew that passengers from the other ships would not be potential customers. 

Ship hopping went to the wayside as there became more of a gap in the targeted demographics of each cruise line and security concerns also became more important.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Nope, but neither do I feel proud because of the house that I live in or the car I drive or the clothes I wear because none of that has anything to do with who I am.

Why wouldn't you take pride in your accomplishments? Certainly, if those items were given to you and you treat them with disrespect but I earned my home, my car and my clothes.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruising Jedi said:

I remember someone saying on the Disney board something like "As we were docked I could see all the people looking over with envy wishing they were on our ship". Bwa ha! Really?!  If I'm looking over at Disney ship the only thing I think is, thank goodness my kids aged out of Disney and we can branch out!  Lol

But, people are weird. 

Is it odd what internal dialogue people have?   

45 minutes ago, richfret said:

I understand your question although some certainly didn't.  Ever have a party and invite several guests and wonder what they would think of your house.  Would they comment on how beautiful it was or ask if repairs being forthcoming?

If that is their thinking, then I'm not sure they should even be at my house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Jedi said:

But, people are weird. 

You’re never too old for Disney.

1 hour ago, Cruising Jedi said:

But, people are weird. 

I love Disney, but I do have to admit to looking over at a Disney ship during a sail away party and thinking, "Man, I'm so glad I'm not over there."  

I've never felt any sense of pride, I've been on many ships and the only thing close to pride that I feel is gratitude that we have the resources to cruise as often as we do. We've done nothing to be 'proud' except chose a ship and pay for the cruise. We've loved every cruise we've been on - small ship (I'm taking about you Carnival Holiday!), or larger ship (Dream) or another line (RC, Holland America, NCL or Princess). Don't care about all the slides, rides, toys or other things that adorn the top decks, that's not why we cruise. Want rides? We go to Disney.

49 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why wouldn't you take pride in your accomplishments? Certainly, if those items were given to you and you treat them with disrespect but I earned my home, my car and my clothes.   

Its just a matter of priorities. For some people, they are proud of material accomplishments, which is understandable for people who worked hard to acquire these things. Other people are motivated by different things. In my case, I am most proud of my 31 years marriage and my two adult kids who have been on their own for awhile now and are capable of supporting themselves. 

• Like 2

Reminds me a bit of people who like to lord over others in regards to the status level on their cruise. Like it's a good substitute for having a personality sort of thing. Never did understand any of that. Don't understand taking pride in the ship either as I am not the shipbuilder or captain. I look at other ships and wonder if I wanna maybe take a cruise on it someday and that's about it. YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Towel Critter said:

Nope, never suffered from ship envy. Anyone who feels either pride or embarrassment because of the ship they are vacationing on has self esteem issues, in my opinion. Both pride and embarrassment, in this case, would be symptoms of the same psychological issue.

Yeah, I guess I have self-esteem issues then. Sometimes, cruising on Carnival I feel like people on rival cruise lines like Disney Cruise Line will think "I could never afford the luxuries they can", when in retrospect, I can cruise more frequently if I chose not to sail on Disney.

Just now, jbethel11 said:

Yeah, I guess I have self-esteem issues then. Sometimes, cruising on Carnival I feel like people on rival cruise lines like Disney Cruise Line will think "I could never afford the luxuries they can", when in retrospect, I can cruise more frequently if I chose not to sail on Disney.

Of course a few of them are thinking that. They are the ones with self esteem issues, in that they can't feel good about themselves without thinking of others with disdain. You, on the other hand, can rightfully feel pride in spending your money intelligently!

Edited by Towel Critter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do enjoy the hull art on some of the other lines' ships - wild! 

But when I look at a Carnival ship and my eye goes to the Whale Tail, I know she is where my enjoyment will be (whether dinner in MDR; fun at trivia, karaoke or comedy; a nice walk on the gym's treadmill while watching the waves, a show in the lounge, a good night's sleep or a dip in the pool).  That makes me smile.

I really don't think I'd sail Disney if it was free.  Absolutely no interest.  Don't particularly like the Disneyfication of everything to do with kids.  But I do think their ships are lovely to look at.  That's my only thought about them.

If people want to see what other lines look like, BOOK A CRUISE on another line!  I've branched out to HAL, NCL, and MSC in the past few years and enjoyed them all.  Going on my 3rd consecutive MSC in about 10 days and have my first Celebrity booked for March 2021.

I was on an excursions somewhere a few years ago.  Everyone else on the bus was from a Royal ship.  When I stated that I was on Conquest/Glory/Freedom (whichever ship it was), the woman across from me said, loudly, OH, I'M SO SORRY!!  I just looked at her and said "Why?  I'm solo, I have a great cabin, the ship is lovely, the food is good, I'm visiting interesting ports, I'm having fun, and I probably paid considerably less than you.  I'm perfectly happy with my choice."  She didn't respond.

I have no respect for snobs of any type.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Only once have I had a quick pang of envy, and that was driving in Southampton docks to our ship and I had my first sight of the Queen Mary 2. She was the most beautiful ship I had ever seen. 

But once on board my ordinary looking ship, I was perfectly happy with our choice.

I still, after many years, think QM2 is one of the loveliest looking ships afloat.

4 hours ago, Cruising Jedi said:

But, people are weird. 

I agree.  My first cruise was on a Disney ship.  It was amazing, but I have no desire to do it again.

As far as feeling pride about the ship I am sailing on compared to a smaller ship, um, no.  Cruising on a particular ship is a choice, not an accomplishment. I don't feel better than people on smaller ships or worse than people on larger ones.  I feel pride for things I have done, not things I have purchased.  

I think the mega ships are amazing, but I realized a few cruises ago that those things would not enhance my cruising experience.  Those bells and whistles are meaningless to me.  I've been to amusement parks and water parks countless times while my kids were growing up and have no desire to do those things on a ship.  If I was cruising with younger family members, I would do it for them.  But when it's just my husband and me, we just want to relax and have fun.  Mega crowds and mega ships don't really appeal to us.  No pride and no envy.

• Like 1