Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Andy

45 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

The video is only part of the ad campaign - I found some of the ads that we will be seeing in print. They are quite brilliant, IMO.

Feast on the extraordinary (this looks like seafood feast in FCSH in the private dining room)

RAW wonder.pdf 9.49 MB · 6 downloads

Lose yourself in wondrous spaces (Avalon, or the Magic Forrest)

AVALON x.pdf 9.36 MB · 6 downloads

Retreat to your own paradise (Edge Villa private plunge pool)

Retreat.pdf 5.63 MB · 1 download

Light up the night (Grand Plaza Martini Bar)

Grand Plazax.pdf 11.2 MB · 5 downloads

Fly across the ocean (no explanation necessary 🙂)

MAGIC night wonder.pdf 4.78 MB · 4 downloads

Reenforces what someone earlier posted, everything is about Edge and Apex, booking other ships may cause you to be disappointed.

Just now, dkjretired said:

Reenforces what someone earlier posted, everything is about Edge and Apex, booking other ships may cause you to be disappointed.

Yes, I said that. 🙂  I really hope the TA's and X reps will make that clear to people, but have my doubts....

35 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I guess its a marketing thing, only advertise your newest and best.

Makes sense, you never see car commercials for 5 year old beaters.

Look at the RC commercials - they only advertise their big monster theme park ships on TV. Anybody who has sailed on the Empress or Majesty (or most of the others) would certainly not have their expectations met, if they based a buying decision solely on those commercials.  

Edited by EatonDoolittle

Just saw it on TV...

Not sure who they are trying to attract?  Very retro hippie druggie which fits in well  with the college  dorm style decor and college cafe feel of EDEN.

Wonder if this is this the same ad and entertainment company that did the EDEN and Edenist stuff, plus the initial wierd  role playing stuff in the Club... mostly all gone.  

We liked EDGE and the bright airy  EDEN space but  have no interest in the show itself or incense. We are hoping when we return in a few weeks , things will have evolved into a more grown up sophisticated experience.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

Has anyone seen the new TV commercials for Celebrity, which have the old Jefferson Airplane song, "Go Ask Alice," as the background music?  This is a song about drugs, a girl named Alice taking illegal drugs and also supplying (dealing) the illegal pills as well.  The commercial even has the lyrics playing along to the images, which mention "one pill makes you taller, and one pill makes you small," and at the end it plays "Go ask Alice, while she's still small..."  As it shows a woman enjoying a deck chair, opening her eyes and you see a fleeting image of a female captain.  

I find this commercial to be offensive; why would Celebrity choose a vintage song about illegal drugs to advertise their cruise experience?!  This makes me want to NEVER take another cruise on Celebrity.  If the marketing people did not realize this song was a song about illegal drugs, plenty of the people who might book one of their cruises surely remembers this song from the late 60's or early 70's.  There was also a book and a movie by the same name.  All about drug abuse.

My DH and I have sailed with Celebrity several times and are Elite status.  Who exactly is Celebrity marketing this experience to?  Former or current drug addicts?  As the parent of an adult child who is battling addiction I find this commercial to be in really bad taste.  At least the music is.  The images are fine, very enticing.  But a drug song???  Is this part of the "Revolution?"  Our last cruise two months ago after the "Revolution" on Summit was disappointing, and now this music to sell their cruise experience... just makes me wonder where the company is going with their new image.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We can’t be certain tha anyone from Celebrity reads these boards.  So I suggest you send a letter with your concerns directly to their corporate headquarters via snail mail.  

I once had a concern about an ad campaign being run by Burger King.  I wrote to them directly, received a repky, and the commercial was soon oulled from the air.  I’m sure it was not due to just my one complaint, others must have written too.  I suggest you start there with a letter directly to LLP.

I totally agree with you,Water709.

IMHO, I think the choice of the song is in extremely poor taste.

I would also like to write a letter or email to LLP expressing my opinion.

I am sure that there are others here on CC and others who have seen the TV commercial and are baffled by the choice of song to represent Celebrity cruises.

Perhaps if those with this opinion contact LLP, a change will be made.

• Like 2

I believe it was more like a take on Alice in Wonderland. That book also had a pill that made one either big or small. I always believed it was a bizarre tale. Maybe they were aiming for comparing a cruise with Celebrity to making all your fantasies come true?

Todays commercial makers may not understand what the song really stood for like some of us older people. That said, it was weird.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Water709 said:

This makes me want to NEVER take another cruise on Celebrity

I'm sure you'll find another line that better appeals to your ethos, if a TV ad is all it takes to make you this upset.

Did you never read Alice in Wonderland as a child?  Pills were a feature in the book, too, so maybe we should ban it while we're  at it??

You're entitled to your opinion, which is perhaps so extreme because of your child's  addiction. I found nothing particularly objectionable  about the ad, feeling they are aiming more for the Wonderland or fantasy aspect  as it applies to their new ships. Always loved the song- yes I was a teenager when it first came out.

BTW- There is already a 3 page thread on this subject:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697329-celebrity-press-release-92019-new-ad-campaign-wonder-awaits/?tab=comments#comment-58405451

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mom says said:

I'm sure you'll find another line that better appeals to your ethos, if a TV ad is all it takes to make you this upset.

Did you never read Alice in Wonderland as a child?  Pills were a feature in the book, too, so maybe we should ban it while we're  at it??

You're entitled to your opinion, which is perhaps so extreme because of your child's  addiction. I found nothing particularly objectionable  about the ad, feeling they are aiming more for the Wonderland or fantasy aspect  as it applies to their new ships. Always loved the song- yes I was a teenager when it first came out.

BTW- There is already a 3 page thread on this subject:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697329-celebrity-press-release-92019-new-ad-campaign-wonder-awaits/?tab=comments#comment-58405451

I did know about the book Alice in Wonderland (I am an elementary school teacher).  But the song is more known as a song reflecting drug culture.  I grew up when it was popular and I know what it meant.  I don't appreciate your "slam" about how this may affect only me because of my adult child's battle with drug addiction.  This song was popular in the drug culture and my adult child has probably never heard of it.  I was only asking what everyone thought about it, after I voiced my thoughts.   You are entitled to your opinion just as I and all the others on here are.  Don't judge me and my family for my opinion!  DH and I have been on more than a dozen Celebrity cruises.  We enjoyed all except the most recent one, post-Revolution.  And we realize other passengers may feel differently and embrace the improvements, etc.

Also thank you for the link to the other thread about this subject.  I searched to see if there was one before I started this one, but I did not find that one.

Edited by Water709
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Water709 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, which is perhaps so extreme because of your child's  addiction.

So hurt that someone would choose to focus on this personal part of my original post, to judge me and tell me why I may feel this way.  I was sharing a part of my personal life that I did not expect to be judged for.  I am certain there are other families out there who have loved ones who are addicted and may feel the same way when they see or hear this commercial.  😞

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Water709 said:

Have YOU ever read the book entitled "Go Ask Alice?"  It is the diary of an addict.  And the movie also was representative of the same book about an addict.  I saw and read these as a teenager, long before I had an adult child with addiction issues.  So the song most reminded me of those.

When I first saw the ad in question, I was astounded. Hubby almost never knows lyrics to popular music, so he didn't recognize the meaning, but I told him that it is a drug song. It was popular at the time LSD was in use. We had a few patients at the psychiatric hospital where I worked who had experienced very serious side effects from LSD. So I was really shocked when I heard the song in a Celebrity Edge commercial. Perhaps whoever chose the song actually did think it was only about Alice in Wonderland and didn't know the symbolism of altered states produced by LSD or acid as it was often known.  

I just Googled the song and learned Grace Slick wrote the song after an acid trip, as the psychedelic  result of taking LSD was called. She saw the resemblance of the altered state to what was described in Alice in Wonderland. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

We have a music charter on celebrity in February one of the artist is Jefferson starship 😁

We had them on the Flower Power Cruise and the Grace Slick replacement did an awesome job with that song! A favorite for us. Enjoy!

• Like 2