Passport ? (please don't shoot messenger)

kelbell

Large family trip 12/2/19, future niece in law has passport in maiden name, wedding 10/19.

She is planning on bringing new license (with new name), passport with maiden name,

original birth cert.and marriage license. Do you think she will be ok?

Has anyone ever had this occur? after researching  official website this seems

to be the correct course of action.  We just hate to be wrong.......

And yes we looked into expediting a new passport, consensuses no,  nervous it  wont

be in on time. 

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, kelbell said:

Large family trip 12/2/19, future niece in law has passport in maiden name, wedding 10/19.

She is planning on bringing new license (with new name), passport with maiden name,

And yes we looked into expediting a new passport, consensuses no,  nervous it  wont

be in on time. 

Thank you.

People go on cruises all the time, immediately after marriage, and laws require DL to be changed almost immediately to new name along with a bunch of other stuff.  The passport is still fine.  The marriage license will have both names on it, and is considered a bridging document.  However, usually the best course of action is to book in the name of the Passport.  Bring the marriage license.  The DL is not needed and the Birth Certificate is not needed (Of course you can bring it).

• Like 2

Here is the website for US Customs and Immigration.  It has some great Q&A.  If this does not meet your situation, then call the office of the port you are leaving from to be totally informed and have the right documentation.  I use to work with this people alot during importing and exporting of chemicals and always found them to be very informative and good to work with.  In traveling extensively foreign, I also went through the Global Entry process and can not say enough good things about these people.  My suggestion is do not go by the possible exception some of our cruisers may tell you about, go by the rule of law !  

https://www.cbp.gov/travel

Edited by TTraub1250

30 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

My suggestion is do not go by the possible exception some of our cruisers may tell you about, go by the rule of law !  

https://www.cbp.gov/travel

She can't count on getting her passport back in time so as others have stated she should travel under her current name and only use the passport for ID.  This is done all the time. 

If it was a honeymoon you really don't have choice.

Edited by fred30

The used to have an emergency passport service that takes a day or two at all the big offices. I went down in the morning and went to pick it up in the afternoon.  This was in 2004 and cost a couple bucks more, but it was well worth it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/chicago.html

Edited by bilyclub
add

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

which name is she booked under? Current name or future name?

I always advise honeymooners to book under current name. Worry about the name change when you return.

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just travel under maiden name until

everything shakes out. 

My wife did exactly this last year!

No drama, and just update/renew when you're home

In NJ...I could not change my DL until I got my new SS card.  I could not change my social security name until the State mailed us the certified marriage license.  It takes a bit of time.  As everyone else mentioned...book in maiden name and travel with maiden name passport.  Do the change after the cruise. 

I kept my maiden name passport for a year and a half after marriage...it was not expired yet so i just carefully made cruise reservations in that name even though I had already switched over my SS and DL.  My TA kept asking what name to book with ...we did several cruises until the switch was complete.

1 hour ago, kelbell said:

They booked her under her future name.  I agree should have kept everything under her

maiden name....would have made life easier.

Call the cruise line or TA and have the name changed to her maiden name, then travel with current passport.

1 hour ago, electro said:

Call the cruise line or TA and have the name changed to her maiden name, then travel with current passport.

This was going to be my reply.  For mist cruise lines as long as one name remains the same on a reservation the others can be changed.  

9 hours ago, kelbell said:

be in on time. 

Thank you.

For December of 2019?  Expedited service should get you a passport long before the End of October.  We just did it and it took 2 weeks.

I suspect that this would be easiest to handle as an either or instead of two ID's with two different names.

Either can travel under new name with new DL and birth certificate and bridging document

Or change name back to maiden with the cruise line and travel under old name with old passport

On 9/30/2019 at 8:40 AM, kelbell said:

be in on time. 

Thank you.

Book the cruise in her maiden name and avoid all confusion. When she is on the ship pcall her whatever you want. Too many people make too big of a deal about this situation.

BTW, she doesn't need the passport with the old name it is pretty much worthless unless that is the name the cruise is booked in, in which case she doesn't need the rest of the stuff.

Best to book under her maiden name for peace of mind.

As someone who checks documents at Pier 91 in Seattle, if passenger's first and middle name match, as well as the birth date, it is not an issue at all.  (This happens with women traveling with birth certificates with photo ID, as well as recently married women with passports in their maiden name).

You never hear of media stories about newlyweds denied boarding because of a recent name change.