Are we the last of the Formal Dress people?

sealeggs

It seems to me that there are a large number of men on here pontificating about why they should be allowed to wear more or less whatever they want.  

It would be interesting to hear what the ladies think. If you put on a special dress, make up, stilettos etc, are you happy if your other half wears a t shirt and shorts? 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

It seems to me that there are a large number of men on here pontificating about why they should be allowed to wear more or less whatever they want.  

It would be interesting to hear what the ladies think. If you put on a special dress, make up, stilettos etc, are you happy if your other half wears a t shirt and shorts? 

I saw a photo here of a woman dressed in full-on formal and the man by her side had on jeans and a plaid shirt.  And no one, except I, seemed to have any issue with it.  I thought, honestly, that it was ridiculous.  Had I been she, I'd have gone to the MDR and sent him to another venue.  

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I saw a photo here of a woman dressed in full-on formal and the man by her side had on jeans and a plaid shirt.  And no one, except I, seemed to have any issue with it.  I thought, honestly, that it was ridiculous.  Had I been she, I'd have gone to the MDR and sent him to another venue.  

About 10 years ago when regulations pertaining to attire were in force a couple came to the MDR on a ship.She was wearing a gown and he coveralls.She saw that other men were wearing suits and sent him to the buffet.We happened to be with them on a shore excursion and he related this to us.

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

About 10 years ago when regulations pertaining to attire were in force a couple came to the MDR on a ship.She was wearing a gown and he coveralls.She saw that other men were wearing suits and sent him to the buffet.We happened to be with them on a shore excursion and he related this to us.

It's plain silly that it got to that point since she obviously knew what the evening attire was.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

It's plain silly that it got to that point since she obviously knew what the evening attire was.

Yes,it was.The interesting thing about his attire was that he was the CEO of a major corporation.He gave me his business card on the last day of the cruise.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We saw just that many women in a nice dress her man dressed in yuck jeans or shorts. It seemed the women on our cruise choose to dress up, the men not so much. Sad....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We saw just that many women in a nice dress her man dressed in yuck jeans or shorts. It seemed the women on our cruise choose to dress up, the men not so much. Sad....

Bob and I respect each other.  In big things and small things.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 and I will be married 53 years in 3 months.We do the same.

IMO the only issue is with the cruise line.  Set some limits and then enforce them.  If they're not going to enforce them then why have them?  Really period.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

if your up to it come over to Princess cruise line. You will be in the company of those whom share your suave and charming  attire.

Not really.  Princess is quite tolerant.  My cargo pants, collared shirt and hiking boots did not result in being barred from the MDR on prom night.  About half of the dining room was similarly attired. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I think of it as they ( cruise lines) have expectations and with that should come a level of passenger compliance. 

I totally agree with you.  At least with Oceania it does seem like they don't 'allow' shorts, athletic shoes and???  And there are no formal nights or venues.  Perhaps they and some others have hit on the middle ground.

26 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Not really.  Princess is quite tolerant.  My cargo pants, collared shirt and hiking boots did not result in being barred from the MDR on prom night.  About half of the dining room was similarly attired. 

Just curious - as the cargo pants and hiking boots are so important to you - do you really need a collar on your shirt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2019 at 3:47 AM, momofmab said:

We've only cruised Caribbean itineraries on mass market lines.  To me, Caribbean itineraries call for more relaxed dress.  That is not to say that people should be wearing holey shirts and cut off jean shorts to the MDR, but I am not bothered to see sundresses on women and men in nice shorts and button down shirts.  Some of us don't lead lives where we have formal wear hanging around, waiting to be brought on a cruise - nor do we want to take up the suitcase space to bring it along.

You know, I wonder if this is in fact more of an issue on Caribbean itineraries.  I just don't see dress code violation as much of an issue on European cruises we join.  I mean there are always a few who are dressed kind of mean, but really only a few.   I honestly cannot remember someone wearing shorts for dinner in the MDR.   So, maybe you hit the nail on the head.  

Maybe instead of talking about a suggested dress that can be interpreted in different ways, we should expand the list of things that should be outright banned.   For me it would be all those "fancy tops" with glitter.  That glitter doesn't stay on the fancy tops.  Kind of like lint.  I don't know where it keeps coming from but it is all over the place.  😀😀😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps it a cultural thing. On UK based cruise lines, the member of young people dressing up far outweigh the casual dressers. Seems the youngsters like to make an effort.  

Not sure I'm following exactly what this means.    Wouldn't this happen if not that many older folk dressed casually?  

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

huh, go figure and to think    I had ya pegged as an R C I or Carnival patron . 

On 10/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, JennyB1977 said:

I like to dress each night for dinner. I don't wear a ball gown but a cocktail dress, or a dressy jumpsuit, even a dressier pair of linens pants and a blouse with heels. It's simply what I like. If there were a "formal" night I would enjoy getting out my fancier gowns. My next cruise is on Princess which still has "Formal" nights. They list the dress as:

"Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men"

We'll see is this is followed or enforced. Not holding my breath.

So, someone could say that women wearing black slacks and fancy tops should be turned away because they are not meeting the rules.   Could say the same thing about sports coat & slacks.    I think that black pants and fancy tops are fine. Same for sports coats and slacks.   That is at least part of the problem with these discussions.  Everyone draws the line according to their own viewpoint.  But I think most would agree that wearing short pants or tank tops on formal night probably should not be allowed.   

• Like 1