Key West

dippydoo

33 minutes ago, dippydoo said:

We will be on celebrity Xfinity in December. We are stopping in key West, does the ship doc at a pier or do we use tender boats to get to land?

You'll be docked. We've always docked at the Mallory Square pier. There's also the Outer Mole pier.  

Edited by davekathy

There’s a B pier right behind Mallory Square, but most consider this the same because you walk right off onto Front Street.  It looks like Infinity is docked at either Navy Mole or B pier, depending on what day you’re in Key West.  

Edited by Mauidiver

21 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Here is the link to the Key West calendar.

Also, there is an entire Key West thread in the Ports of Call section here on CC which you may find helpful. 

https://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/department/calendar.php

Ugh. The last time I had looked, the Edge on Feb 17 had the good spot. Now looks like we are at the one that requires shuttling off the military base. I just wanted to walk around Key West. How much of a pain is that shuttle??

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Ugh. The last time I had looked, the Edge on Feb 17 had the good spot. Now looks like we are at the one that requires shuttling off the military base. I just wanted to walk around Key West. How much of a pain is that shuttle??

Very easy...

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not a pain at all, more like a delight.  A short ride, usually open-air, through an attractive neighborhood, with a drop-off in the heart of town.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Not a pain at all, more like a delight.  A short ride, usually open-air, through an attractive neighborhood, with a drop-off in the heart of town.

I would much rather just walk off the ship. I have less than zero desire to tour a military base (which is hardly what I would call an “attractive neighborhood” based on the ones I’ve been forced to see.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I would much rather just walk off the ship. I have less than zero desire to tour a military base (which is hardly what I would call an “attractive neighborhood” based on the ones I’ve been forced to see.)

You do not tour the military base, you will be driven from the dock for a short distance to the center of town.  I like to go to www.maps.google, put in the town name and bring up a satellite map that shows exactly what the neighborhood looks like.  It looks to me as there will be some commercial property, some tourist areas, and some residential areas for the shuttle ride from the Navy Pier (also called the Outer Mole Pier).  Also, we don't get a choice of docks, that is handled by the people who schedule the use of the docks (government).

12 minutes ago, marshacruises said:

You do not tour the military base, you will be driven from the dock for a short distance to the center of town.  I like to go to www.maps.google, put in the town name and bring up a satellite map that shows exactly what the neighborhood looks like.  It looks to me as there will be some commercial property, some tourist areas, and some residential areas for the shuttle ride from the Navy Pier (also called the Outer Mole Pier).  Also, we don't get a choice of docks, that is handled by the people who schedule the use of the docks (government).

I did not mean “tour” in the sense of a hop-on, hop-off. But in that you have to be on it to get to anything good.

And I am aware we do not get to change. But when I looked at scheduled a couple of weeks ago, Edge was slated for B - the one at Mallory Square. Now a Carnival ship has that one and Celebrity is stuck with the “must take a trolley” slot. So yeah, I’m a little bummed. Will I get over it? Yes. It is a bump in planning but the cruise will still be great I am sure. (I have seen people on here fuss about things I consider far more minor too - it is all in perspective and stuff.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

That’s like 100 years from now.  Will there even be cruise ships at that time or will be people be cruising to Mars in spacecrafts 

Yikes!! 😳However you travel by at least you now know where you'll be docked/stationed at Key West. 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Now a Carnival ship has that one and Celebrity is stuck with the “must take a trolley” slot.

A couple of years ago, while on a HAL New England / Canada cruise, we were bumped from our intended berth in Charlottetown by a Celebrity ship and were forced to tender. Another time, we were scheduled to dock at Crown Bay in St. Thomas and were redirected at the last minutes to Havensight. This summer in Norway, we lost our scheduled berth in Trondheim and had to tender to a remote marina, then to add insult to injury, had to pay for a shuttle bus or face a long walk into town. Please, no more complaints about being "stuck" quick, easy and free ride. :classic_dry:

There are three piers at Key West, two at Mallory Square (B and M) and one in the Military base (OM). The damaged pier was the one for smaller ships (M), all docks Celebrity ships could use (only B and OM):have never been affected. No current Celebrity ship ever docked at pier M. 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, dippydoo said:

We will be on celebrity Xfinity in December. We are stopping in key West, does the ship doc at a pier or do we use tender boats to get to land?

The ship docks at the pier.  But, that being said, it is on a naval base and you cannot just walk into town - taxi, shuttles, etc.  If I can make a suggestion, at at Caroline's and do some shopping.  Have fun!