Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I don't plan on buying one anyway. It seems to me that just sticking the thing in my pocket should be sufficient to my needs.

Me too - why do people get infatuated about holders,  lanyards etc, when you can just stick the gizmo in your pocket for free!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Me too - why do people get infatuated about holders,  lanyards etc, when you can just stick the gizmo in your pocket for free!  

Remember this….”Different Strokes for Different Folks”.  

Tom😀 

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Why would you want to use this? In a lot of cases you will need to remove it to use it.

42 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Doesn't look like it to me.  Just another doo-dad that hold a medallion.  Nothing there to block signals.

When I took a MC cruise, I had some rubber holders designed for a Fitbit Zip which clipped to a belt or waistband.  Every time I used the medallion, I had to take it out of the holder so they could tap the medallion against the reader.  Worked similar to the tap function on credit cards.

1966747319_FitBitHolder.thumb.jpg.f84998f72ff16442b901efe176f5d979.jpg

They come in different colors.  I got them on Amazon here:

Amazon.com: EverAct Clip Holder Compatible with Fitbit Zip (Set of 4): Office Products

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

When I took a MC cruise, I had some rubber holders designed for a Fitbit Zip which clipped to a belt or waistband.  Every time I used the medallion, I had to take it out of the holder so they could tap the medallion against the reader.  Worked similar to the tap function on credit cards.

1966747319_FitBitHolder.thumb.jpg.f84998f72ff16442b901efe176f5d979.jpg

They come in different colors.  I got them on Amazon here:

Amazon.com: EverAct Clip Holder Compatible with Fitbit Zip (Set of 4): Office Products

I would imagine this issue would be mitigated by having a holder that is open on both sides.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would imagine this issue would be mitigated by having a holder that is open on both sides.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I shouldn't have said I had to take it out of the holder.  I should have said I had to give the holder with the medallion in it to a crew member when making a purchase or re-boarding the ship.  Otherwise, the medallion worked as advertised when approaching the cabin door.  I never saw my avatar display on any of the large screens when passing them either.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Can it be put in upside down, so the back shows in the opening instead of the front? Would that make a difference?

IIRC, front or back didn't matter.  The crew member just needed to actually touch the device to the scanner.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Hmmm. Guess I'll look for a different holder.

Thanx

It wasn't the holder.  I would sometimes take the medallion out of the holder and approach the door with the medallion out in front of me and sometimes the door still wouldn't unlock until I paced the medallion on the door scanner.

42 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It wasn't the holder.  I would sometimes take the medallion out of the holder and approach the door with the medallion out in front of me and sometimes the door still wouldn't unlock until I paced the medallion on the door scanner.

So much for "our" new technology.😢

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I also needed to take it out of my pocket for slots, which is why I had it on a retractable reel (yes, I've forgotten it there before the reel but PSD was able to tell me to collect it there)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AF-1 said:

yes you can download to all your devices

Probably been answered before ..

With the new iteration of the Medallion app does each person in the cabin (me + dw) need to have their own downloaded app and own device to check in ? 

10 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Probably been answered before ..

With the new iteration of the Medallion app does each person in the cabin (me + dw) need to have their own downloaded app and own device to check in ? 

Yes. Each medallion is programmed for each individual person.