Mythbusters: Tipping the Photo Attendant to Avoid Purchase

winnifer

Hello, cruisers!

During a conversation with one of my coworkers, the professional photos on board came up, and how wasteful it seems to print all those photos out, and what they do with them afterward if not purchased. He said that his roommate had tipped the photo attendant $50 to put all of their photos aside and hook them up with them at the end, bypassing purchasing the photo package or individual photos. They got their photos, saved a chunk of change (which they said they did a few nights of specialty dining with) and the attendant made a nice tip, plus the paper and ink didn't go to waste.

I'd never heard of such a thing and figured I'd ask my fellow cruise critic members if this is a thing. I know that the experience of my coworker's roommate is very much a "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend" kind of situation, so I was curious if anyone else had any input (besides the obviously-incoming comments about being cheap and just buy the damn things, or how immoral it is). 

Thanks! 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Schonert said:

If it did happen the Photographer  could get fired for something like that.

See, I'd wondered about the implications on the photo attendant's part there. And he said it was the guy who rang up the photos at the stand where they display all the printed photos (so not the one taking the photos), but still. Yes. I'd wondered about that. He did make it seem like it was a slick kind of transaction, like on the downlow.

Almost like a pre-paid drug deal! Ha! 

There are dishonest people everywhere and some are willing to take a chance to make or to save a few extra bucks. It hardly seems like something most passengers would do nor does it seem like something most crew members would be willing to risk - even if they were unethical enough to consider the transaction in the first place. When I was working I would "survey" (get rid of and delete from inventory) computers from time to time. They were older and being replaced or perhaps not worth it (to the state anyway) to repair. I donated them all to a program called "Computers for Classrooms". Over the years I donated literally hundreds of computers. I had people try to get me to either give them the computers or sell them the computers on the side. My answer was always, "NO!". Not only do I now operate that way but, if I was someone who was interested in that sort of shady practice it would be a "bad thing" to get nailed for stealing state property and giving it away or selling it. I find it best to simply avoid unethical transactions and can't imagine even proposing such a thing to the photo folks.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, winnifer said:

plus the paper and ink didn't go to waste.

When we did an Ultimate Ship Tour and visited the photo lab below decks they indicated that all photos are reprocessed and turned into the covers for the photos packages....it is done off ship....I do not think it is a big problem on Royal Class ships because everything is digital.....

Edited by PrincessLuver

We had a wonderful photographer on a previous cruise this year. He had taken our pictures during our ultimate balcony dinner (amazing!) and on the gangway during port visits. We purchased some photos, but a lot were left behind.

On our last day, we wanted to submit a compliment sheet for him but we needed the correct spelling of his name. We sought him out at the photo kiosk and told him our intentions.

He was so delighted! He then handed us a bag and said we "forgot these". It had every photo we didn't purchase!

Obviously, they were going to be discarded since we purchased the ones we really wanted, so I don't think Princess lost money because of this. I guess the moral is kindness can go a long way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Where do you get to preview the pictures? 

On other ships, the photos are all lined up and you find your photo and take it to the photo desk.

On the Sky, there are many computers in the Photo area,  You log in with your Medallion. The computer would do face recognition from your boarding picture.  All your pictures will show up.  Our pictures did not show up so a Photo crew member helped and he placed our order. We were told to return the next day after 6pm.

We were on Sky’s first cruise, there was a few glitches with the computers and the second last day everyone was trying to get their pictures and there were long lines.

7 hours ago, HughMann said:

We had a wonderful photographer on a previous cruise this year. He had taken our pictures during our ultimate balcony dinner (amazing!) and on the gangway during port visits. We purchased some photos, but a lot were left behind.

On our last day, we wanted to submit a compliment sheet for him but we needed the correct spelling of his name. We sought him out at the photo kiosk and told him our intentions.

He was so delighted! He then handed us a bag and said we "forgot these". It had every photo we didn't purchase!

Obviously, they were going to be discarded since we purchased the ones we really wanted, so I don't think Princess lost money because of this. I guess the moral is kindness can go a long way.

Wrong. The moral is that the photographer is a crook.  Someone should turn him in.  What if everyone did that.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Wrong. The moral is that the photographer is a crook.  Someone should turn him in.  What if everyone did that.

DON

Instead of turning him in wouldn't it be better to just refuse the pictures if you felt that strongly about it? 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Instead of turning him in wouldn't it be better to just refuse the pictures if you felt that strongly about it? 

The guy is a crook and a cheat.  If you don't turn him in, he will continue to use the same scam with other passengers.

DON 

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

The guy is a crook and a cheat.  If you don't turn him in, he will continue to use the same scam with other passengers.

DON 

What scam? I was referring to what  HughMann  had posted, not the op.

The way I read it is that he didn't get anything in return for the photo's. 

Getting the guy fired for that doesn't seem right. 

Edited by MissP22

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

What scam? The way I read it is that he didn't get anything in return for the photo's. 

I guess that depends on whether his employer thanks his behavior warrants termination

I’ve never really found a lot of the photos by the ship’s photographers to be that good to begin with. In 20 cruises, I think I’ve purchased 6 photos. Interesting concept though. Ethics aside, I hope that photographer is using that money to help himself and his family. 

Andrew 🙂

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

What scam? I was referring to what  HughMann  had posted, not the op.

The way I read it is that he didn't get anything in return for the photo's. 

What would you think if the guy worked for a camera store and he gave away photo equipment that was lying around for a while and was not selling.  What would YOU think if you owned a store and he gave away old stock to customers just because it was not selling?  What would you think if you think if he worked for a food store and he gave away food that was approaching its hold date to customers so that they did not have to buy in date food.

He is giving away merchandise without the approval of his employer.  That is grounds for termination.

DON

• Like 1