Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

The hardest part, aside from Apollo shipping out the provisioning containers, is probably going to be the recert process for the ship. I suspect that list we saw was a document for engineering to prepare the engineering recerts.

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

The refurbishments you talk about are in a shipyard dry dock with literally thousands of workers working  24/7 with many months of pre-planning.  The ships currently have a skeleton crew who cannot work 24/7 and a heck of a lot more to do than moving some tables and cleaning.  The entire HVAC system will need to be redone with a new filtration system plus lots more in the way of work to do possibly while the ship is at anchor taking lots of time via tenders to bring and remove all of the change hardware  And remember for deep cleanings after Noro in the past, an entirely different company is brought in for the deep cleaning.  With COVID would expect an even deeper cleaning in every nook and cranny with possibly a subcontracted company performing this cleaning however remember while this is going on not much else can be done since the cleaning people will be in every nook and cranny from the bilge/engine room on up to the highest deck mast, funnels, etc.

Not sure how long quickly is but, an estimate of not less than a month to get the entire crew onboard.

And the 2 weeks has to be some kind of joke as no ship even if tied up to a dock with needed items readily available can possibly be ready in less than a month or more for this major change.

Please don't try to get the last word. This subject could go on for days and nobody knows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

The hardest part, aside from Apollo shipping out the provisioning containers, is probably going to be the recert process for the ship. I suspect that list we saw was a document for engineering to prepare the engineering recerts.

Three ships are in U.S. waters.  When a resume date is announced, would Regent be able to begin some of the processes in advance of that date?  That would definitely help them.

I suspect that Explorer and Splendor may be the first and second ships to launch as they are the newest and most expensive ships in the fleet.  The sooner they are in use again, the better.  Poor Splendor - she only did two cruises before the plug was pulled on cruising.  

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:55 PM, flossie009 said:

NCL Joy now entering Manila Bay, to join the other 20+ ships at anchor.

Hope the crew members on board, from the various NCLH ships, get back to their families soon.

NCL Joy (repatriating NCLH crew) now docked in Manila

CEB4D61B-26E9-4D28-84F4-4BE5AC68A5A0.thumb.png.b2ec79184a3155e468c80be27e6c4a7c.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Splendor still en route to the Panama Canal (ETA July 05)

After a couple of days cruising around the Ligurian Sea, Navigator is back in the port of Genoa.

It appears that she is now positioned in one of the dry-docks:

964013267_Genoa_Nav_July02.thumb.jpg.13f695ab0aa45f57a1d031375c6a8b08.jpg

1550284542_Navigator_Genoa_02July2020.jpg.86b5a48c1f7890f3b5101f5972f57f10.jpg

• Like 5

I think she might be going to Jacksonville to serve as a hotel for the Republican National Convention.  When super bowl was held in Jacksonville many cruise ships including Navigator served as hotels.

4 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Marc,

Any fact  or simply a guess re: Jacksonville?

It seems highly unlikely to me. I have no information . . .

Peggy

Peggy, simply a guess.  It would be good money for Regent and they have experience doing it before; I just don't know if there are enough crew between Splendor and Explorer (a few miles away in Fernandina Beach) to run a hotel operation.

It would be a nice "dry run" for new protocols.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

My feeling is that Regent takes too much of a chance, doing this. If something happened - some one gets sick - , they would be tying up the two ships for some period of time.

I care, personally, since I'm supposed to sail on the Splendor in November and have friends due to board in October.

Time will tell . . .

Peggy

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Peggy, simply a guess.  It would be good money for Regent and they have experience doing it before; I just don't know if there are enough crew between Splendor and Explorer (a few miles away in Fernandina Beach) to run a hotel operation.

It would be a nice "dry run" for new protocols.

Marc

Sorry, can't resist - given that the guess is RNC, would it also be a dry run for people who resist health protocols such as masks as well and how to effectively get them to put the damn masks on?  Even though Jacksonville has, I believe, mandated masks which would apply to the convention as well.  

Although, more seriously, to be fair, it does seem a lot of Republican officials are breaking from at least some of their leadership and now advocating wearing masks - Pence, both Cheneys, and Lamar Alexander, among others.  

Just guessing - I agree it's too chancy for any ship line to want to do this, no matter the compensation.  And, honestly, wondering if the RNC will end up looking more like the DNC in any event, if Florida COVID rates don't drop dramatically.  

Back to ports - article on Port Miami and how its economy is being affected and is changing in some ways.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/portmiami-renegotiates-terminal-deals-local-workers-brace-for-more-cruise-less-months/ar-BB16meHV

An interesting and somewhat chilling description of what might happen if the ships can't sail any time soon:

https://panatimes.com/the-world-s-cruise-ships-can-t-sail-now-what-to-do-with-them?fbclid=IwAR10oYbtH_Ktfv9ptC4TQ8DmlOsuyNHJQrMnyCb9zDiavy8bIzuvexKNd9Q

I can't help but think about poor Splendor--brand new in all its glory, rusting and moldering away.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer