Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

55 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They know about ( or at least 2 people do as i mentioned it to them). And they actually have someone on the payroll to read social media and forums and report back. I get the impression that marketing might be a little understaffed at the moment though. Maybe they are concentrating on those insane brochures and catalogs...

Good to know!  Wish that Jason O'Keefe was still there to take care of the social media.  He is sorely missed.

The way the list of cruises is presented makes it look authentic.  I have seen lists of cruises onboard Regent that have the same format and use the same paper.  So, if someone at Regent sees this, they are going to be very angry that this was leaked.  

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

When I asked I basically got a no comment....and TBH, I don't even have an opinion if that means it is garbage or it is means "No comment". Has anyone looked up those dates to see what they match up with for cruises? 

Ships.jpg

Can someone please explain the middle column for me?

Edit to add

:

Edited by crickette

6 minutes ago, crickette said:

Can someone please explain the middle column for me?

Type of propulsion in the water.  Pretty sure AZP is Azipods which are pods with electric motors inside that can rotate 360 degrees and electric motors inside driving the propellers.  CPP is controllable pitch propeller and FP is fixed pitch propeller the difference being able to change the propeller pitch or not.

9 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Type of propulsion in the water.  Pretty sure AZP is Azipods which are pods with electric motors inside that can rotate 360 degrees and electric motors inside driving the propellers.  CPP is controllable pitch propeller and FP is fixed pitch propeller the difference being able to change the propeller pitch or not.

And the next question is - how does propulsion type relate to the re-launch date?  Can Azips go where FP/CPP cannot?  Do you fly AZIP engineers/inspectors from one to the next?  Is it related to where the ships are right now?  Doesn't seem like there is any priority in getting one type going first.

I'd like to see an fourth column that says current location, and see if there is a pattern.

Edited by crickette

I will give you my best guess as long as you understand that I don't have a secret contact in Regent management - I just make full use of their established communication chains and follow up on things like a rabid dog. Mostly I make educated guesses about the puzzle based on the pieces I can see.....and we all know I am wrong sometimes too.

Which cruise are you booked on?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I will give you my best guess as long as you understand that I don't have a secret contact in Regent management - I just make full use of their established communication chains and follow up on things like a rabid dog. Mostly I make educated guesses about the puzzle based on the pieces I can see.....and we all know I am wrong sometimes too.

We are scheduled to sail on Splendor on November 28 to December 7th. 
The list shows first sailing for Splendor is December 7th, which is the day we would be disembarking.
I appreciate your opinion on this situation. 
thanks

sheila

3 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Sheila,

As I'm sure you know, the Splendor is doing 3 more Miami->Miami trips after the 11/28-12/9 cruise. Two of them are 7 days and the Holiday trip - 12/21/2020-1/4/21 follows the 2nd 7-day trip.

Just a thought!

Peggy

Thanks Peggy

We really don’t want to go into December to sail, as we are already booked on Splendor for a February 2021 cruise. 
And, the price is really irresistible on the Crystal cruise. Two weeks, October 29-November 11th. 
We were originally booked on the Barcelona-Miami cruise, November 13-28th. We switched because we thought it might be canceled. 
I think I will give a deposit for the Crystal cruise. 😥

We shall watch,  and wait and see.

sheila

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thanks Peggy

We really don’t want to go into December to sail, as we are already booked on Splendor for a February 2021 cruise. 
And, the price is really irresistible on the Crystal cruise. Two weeks, October 29-November 11th. 
We were originally booked on the Barcelona-Miami cruise, November 13-28th. We switched because we thought it might be canceled. 
I think I will give a deposit for the Crystal cruise. 😥

We shall watch,  and wait and see.

sheila

Sheila,

I understand - enjoy your time on Crystal! And I hope we'll have a chance to sail together in the future . . .

Peggy

• Like 1

Is booking on Crystal a sign that Regent are being far too slow in confirming cancellation of cruises. We would be most interested in Barcelona to Dubai on Explorer in November, but it would have to be as a replacement for our August Baltic cruise. We still await confirmation that this is cancelled.

there seems a much more realistic chance of cruising in November and certainly that fits in with previous quotes from FDR. Depends upon no second wave of infection of course, but it is the current uncertainty being caused by delaying cancellations that is another problem. Other cruise lines have cancelled well into the autumn for some time now and others such as Crystal have published rearranged cruise itineraries for October onwards. Why is Regent being comparatively slow?

Edited by Belfast Taxman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Why is Regent being comparatively slow?

Regent is comparatively slow because NCLH is having all three brands work in lockstep.  If Jason Montague and Regent were allowed some leeway I am sure we would have heard about modified itineraries.

Marc

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are scheduled to sail on Splendor on November 28 to December 7th. 
The list shows first sailing for Splendor is December 7th, which is the day we would be disembarking.
I appreciate your opinion on this situation. 
thanks

sheila

I have someone on a November trip to South America that I would bet will NOT sail. Having said that, your trip looks about as safe as can be on a new ship...I would roll the dice and stay on it if it were me.

That doesn't mean you can't book both and then choose later. Regent tends to cancel a month about 45 days early....so August would get the axe on Monday or Tuesday of this week, for example.

13 hours ago, Pcardad said:

We have a booked cruise on Splendor on 14 October in the Med.  The spreadsheet show the relaunch of Splendor as being its first round-trip Miami cruise.  As I have mentioned in the past, there has been no news about October, and the date of final payment is past.  We were not happy about losing our £5K+ deposit, and with interest rates almost non-existent it isn't too bad to have to wait 3 months from cancelation date to get our refund.  We are still waiting to hear from Oceania about a refund from a May sailing, cancelled only in April.  

It does seem obvious that Regent must know that Splendor won't cross to the Med for only September and October, especially as she is currently off LA.  We are so disappointed that Regent is so secretive about its plans whereas the honest solution would have been an upfront statement about the next three months.

We'd be interested in your views.

I think we are going to get more info in the next few days from Regent that might help us see what is going on.

If you recall Mr. Levin's "Guess the first normal cruise date" I was the most pessimistic and picked something in April.

Having said that, I think a Med cruise is possible in October...I just read that Greece wants to re-open to tourism. Personally, I would wait and see if we get something Monday or Tuesday before deciding.

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

So, if someone at Regent sees this, they are going to be very angry that this was leaked.

I am no lawyer, but it would seem like a legal liability if this is a real list and Regent is still selling October Mariner out of LA knowing it won’t go.  I’m still hoping the list was misunderstood or a way of flushing out leakers inside NCLH. We booked knowing a significant chance of it being cancelled, but assumed Regent was being in good faith to believe the ship will sail.  

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I have someone on a November trip to South America that I would bet will NOT sail.

Pcardad, any views of Mariner sailing in October?

Edited by johng75370
Typo

4 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

I am no lawyer, but it would seem like a legal liability if this is a real list and Regent is still selling October Mariner out of LA knowing it won’t go.  I’m still hoping the list was misunderstood or a way of flushing out leakers inside NCLH. We booked knowing a significant chance of it being cancelled, but assumed Regent was being in good faith to believe the ship will sail.  

It is possible that this list is a work in progress rather than a final document.  There is really no way for Regent to know at this moment which cruises will be able to sail in November/December/January.  Right now there seems to be ports opening but not to everyone (just read that Iceland is opening up but not to people from the U.S.).  

It makes sense not to cancel cruises too far in advance since no one really knows which itineraries will need to be canceled and which ones can just be tweaked to avoid a couple off ports.  

Note:  I saw a list similar to this when a G.M. was looking up a cruise for me to let me know who the G.M. would be for an upcoming cruise.  While I could not read it (for me it was upside-down) I could see how it was formatted, etc.  I do hope that NCLH learns who made this leak (probably from NCL since it was on their website).  Showing this type of information (accurate or not) only causes problems - both for the cruise lines and for the passengers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, Pcardad said:

Joy delayed 1 day - arriving June 16th local.

NCL Joy now entering Manila Bay, to join the other 20+ ships at anchor.

Hope the crew members on board, from the various NCLH ships, get back to their families soon.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how long it will take to get a ship ready to sail again? Logistically, I am thinking about getting the physical ship ready, getting it at the port it needs to be, getting the crew back from their homes and trained, setting up the ship for social distancing, super cleaned, getting supplies on board  etc.  I would think that it would take weeks if not months to get everything in place for paying passengers. 

• Like 1

Regent has refurbished a ship from top to bottom in 1-2 weeks so cleaning and removing tables should only take a day or two and can be done during the sailing ban.  IMO, the biggest issue is getting the crew back.  Once flights pick up a bit, this can also be done quickly.  New protocols an be sent to the crew so they can prepare for training.  IMO, they can get a ship ready to sail in 2 weeks.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent has refurbished a ship from top to bottom in 1-2 weeks so cleaning and removing tables should only take a day or two and can be done during the sailing ban.  

The refurbishments you talk about are in a shipyard dry dock with literally thousands of workers working  24/7 with many months of pre-planning.  The ships currently have a skeleton crew who cannot work 24/7 and a heck of a lot more to do than moving some tables and cleaning.  The entire HVAC system will need to be redone with a new filtration system plus lots more in the way of work to do possibly while the ship is at anchor taking lots of time via tenders to bring and remove all of the change hardware  And remember for deep cleanings after Noro in the past, an entirely different company is brought in for the deep cleaning.  With COVID would expect an even deeper cleaning in every nook and cranny with possibly a subcontracted company performing this cleaning however remember while this is going on not much else can be done since the cleaning people will be in every nook and cranny from the bilge/engine room on up to the highest deck mast, funnels, etc.

IMO, the biggest issue is getting the crew back.

Yes, getting the crew back will be a big deal with some never returning  and others committed to other jobs for awhile

Once flights pick up a bit, this can also be done quickly.

Not sure how long quickly is but, an estimate of not less than a month to get the entire crew onboard.

New protocols an be sent to the crew so they can prepare for training.  IMO, they can get a ship ready to sail in 2 weeks.    

New protocols can be sent out however the crew will not be under contract prior to leaving for the ships and will most likely not get the training needed to be efficient and follow the new protocols without on the job training on board.  Really doubt people will train without being paid on contract.

And the 2 weeks has to be some kind of joke as no ship even if tied up to a dock with needed items readily available can possibly be ready in less than a month or more for this major change.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

Well, that is your opinion but is not mine.  Regent will probably have a sanitizing crew come in to clean the ship from top to bottom.  When Regent resumes sailing, all suites will have to be sanitized at least once a day so it is doable.  The training isn't rocket science.  Everyone that currently works in restaurants on land (that are open) had to be trained.  Most opened within 2-3 days once the announcement was made to that they could reopen.  Tables do not necessarily have to be moved very much - some tables will simply not have passengers seated at them.  After all, this is what specialty restaurants look like at 6:30 p.m.

I would not underestimate the amount of work that can be done quickly on a cruise ship.  If all of the carpeting, wall coverings, soft goods on a ship can be replaced in a week, getting the ships ready to sail should not be a challenge.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I honestly have no idea what it would take but 2 weeks sounds extremely short. I do agree that getting the crew back will take the longest time, after all some of them have never made it home yet. It will be interesting to see how excited they are to come back to work on a cruise ship after how some of them have been treated. Then again, they may not have a lot of options to find work.

• Like 2